Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:09:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Tenebrix, a CPU-friendly, GPU-hostile cryptocurrency  (Read 127175 times)
Lolcust (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 12:54:59 PM

I've been mining at 600 khash/s (2 threads) for a few hours now, which seems to be about 15% of the power of the entire network. I find it very hard to believe that there are only six 3-year-old Macbooks mining the entire chain right now, and I haven't gotten the one block per 30 minutes that I should be. Any idea what's wrong?

Confirmed - hashrate reporting broke to shit in your case for currently unknown reason.

Actual hashrate of your box is much less, (or you managed to engage wrong PoW alltogether)

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 02:51:22 PM

There is something wrong with your build... when one of my builds was messed up I was able to mine the genesis block and was mining a new block every 10 minutes at 3kh/s.  But of course, no other nodes in the network would confirm this.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 03:38:13 PM

LOL 600 khash/s !!!

Any plans to merge mine this shit with Fairbrix and Litecoin ( as they are all using scrypt AMD shit ) Huh Or else I'm going to Solidcoin thank you very much.
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 04:24:58 PM

PROOF OF WORK RESULT: false (boooo)

Got that a few times now. So it looks like I am, in fact, completing 600,000 (x2?) invalid hashes every second.

Any idea what the problem is?

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 04:26:15 PM

LOL 600 khash/s !!!

Any plans to merge mine this shit with Fairbrix and Litecoin ( as they are all using scrypt AMD shit ) Huh Or else I'm going to Solidcoin thank you very much.

Bye.
Matoking

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 04:40:47 PM

PROOF OF WORK RESULT: false (boooo)

Got that a few times now. So it looks like I am, in fact, completing 600,000 (x2?) invalid hashes every second.

Any idea what the problem is?
Are you sure you are using --algo scrypt launch parameter?

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
Vitalik Buterin

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 04:50:44 PM

Just tried adding that. Now it just prints out the help text, which says that --algo can only take c, 4way, via, cryptopp and cryptopp_asm32.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Matoking

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 05:00:04 PM

Just tried adding that. Now it just prints out the help text, which says that --algo can only take c, 4way, via, cryptopp and cryptopp_asm32.
You probably compiled the master branch instead of the cpumine branch (which has the scrypt algorithm implemented).

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 06:45:29 PM

I am a little curious about this currency? Why have you opted to make it GPU 'hostile'? What do you mean by this? I'm a little lost as I'm used to mining with GPU for everything else.Can GPU mining work but with limitations or is it all blocked from GPU? How can Tenebrix tell if CPU/APU/GPU/FPGA is used to mine it rather than being CPU mined like intended? Theoretically some guy can just point his GPU to a named worker set to mine this currency?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
bulanula

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 06:48:33 PM

I am a little curious about this currency? Why have you opted to make it GPU 'hostile'? What do you mean by this? I'm a little lost as I'm used to mining with GPU for everything else.Can GPU mining work but with limitations or is it all blocked from GPU? How can Tenebrix tell if CPU/APU/GPU/FPGA is used to mine it rather than being CPU mined like intended? Theoretically some guy can just point his GPU to a named worker set to mine this currency?

LOL. Read up mate. The algo is scrypt shit. Cannot be accelerated on GPUs. Only Linux 64 bit AMD plastic shit CPUs. No love for Intel on Linux 64 or even Windblows.
Vitalik Buterin

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 06:56:23 PM

You probably compiled the master branch instead of the cpumine branch (which has the scrypt algorithm implemented).

Thank you!!! Much more reasonable 0.80 khash/s now.

ama

Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 07:11:54 PM

How do you compile the cpumine branch, please?

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 07:13:51 PM

LOL. Read up mate. The algo is scrypt shit. Cannot be accelerated on GPUs. Only Linux 64 bit AMD plastic shit CPUs. No love for Intel on Linux 64 or even Windblows.

Ok thanks.I don't get much of a chance to go on these forums much anymore due to constant work I have to do elsewhere so I can't really read up on much these days.Most of us have jobs including me and sometimes those jobs can get in the way of having a social life (I know,it's annoying but that's life I guess)

Anyways thank you for giving me an idea of why GPUs will be useless with mining this currency.Motto is if you want to mine with GPU,look elsewhere.

Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 07:14:54 PM

Ok thanks.I don't get much of a chance to go on these forums much anymore due to constant work I have to do elsewhere so I can't really read up on much these days.Most of us have jobs including me and sometimes those jobs can get in the way of having a social life (I know,it's annoying but that's life I guess)

Anyways thank you for giving me an idea of why GPUs will be useless with mining this currency.Motto is if you want to mine with GPU,look elsewhere.

You can mine this with CPU while mining something else with GPU.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
Matoking

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 07:17:15 PM

It's not Tarsnap's or Lolcust's problem if you can't compile the program with Intel-specific optimizations, silly. Smiley

You could be actually getting more khashes out of your Intel CPU if you would have done some research instead of spouting nonsense like you've been doing for the last 100+ posts.

Bitcoin-otc
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 07:18:05 PM

WOW, this sh*t is still alive? lol Bitcointalk never ceases to amaze me Cheesy
bulanula

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 07:18:22 PM

You can mine this with CPU while mining something else with GPU.

Yes it is magic !!! Keep in mind that this only works for AMD processors. Intel + Windblows = speed sucks / unusable.
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 07:21:59 PM

It's the default branch.

Feed the Lolcust!
ama

Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 07:26:08 PM

It's the default branch.

Ah, excellent, thank you.  :-)

MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 07:43:10 PM

For SandyBridge CPUs (corei7 with four digit model numbers).

git the package.
./configure
(screw the flags)
gedit Makefile
find "CFLAGS = "
Change that line to: CFLAGS = -march=native -O3 -Wall -msse2 -msse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -msse4 -mavx
Brought my performance from 2.6kh/s per core (running one thread per core) to 3.66-3.7kh/s per core.

Tested with 6 threads, +2 kh/s in total.
HT works now!
Just needed some hardcore flags, that's all.

Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: