Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:20:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Tenebrix, a CPU-friendly, GPU-hostile cryptocurrency  (Read 127165 times)
Schwede65

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:26:16 PM

Actually TBX is the only currency that can be "officially" mined parallel to the BTC-GPU-Mining.
Because it is very CPU-friendly.

But the premined - up to 3 years > 50 % - Big-7-Amount let the miners go elsewhere, because the mining success is mini and the rating should be very little.

This forces to go to an alternative CPU-friend.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lolcust (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:36:45 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2011, 12:48:02 PM by Lolcust

Actually TBX is the only currency that can be "officially" mined parallel to the BTC-GPU-Mining.

But the premined - up to 3 years > 50 % - Big-7-Amount let the miners go elsewhere, because the mining success is mini and the rating should be very little.

How much would be "not" too ridiculous ? We could, you know, arrange for a publicly monitored Tenebrix faucet (ala bitcoin faucet) and I could donate the "extra" part to it, leaving myself with the not too ridiculous part for bounties and stuffs (my humble TBX laundry side project would likely die then, alas   Cry )

Incidentally, this would allow latecomers to get some TBX to get a feel for them.

I wonder if  the Bitcoinfaucet code is open...

P.S.:

A faucet with 1-2 million TBX milking out 2-4 units per a Google account login could keep trucking for looooooong...

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:20:43 PM

How much would be "not" too ridiculous ? We could, you know, arrange for a publicly monitored Tenebrix faucet (ala bitcoin faucet) and I could donate the "extra" part to it, leaving myself with the not too ridiculous part for bounties and stuffs (my humble TBX laundry side project would likely die then, alas   Cry )

Incidentally, this would allow latecomers to get some TBX to get a feel for them.

I wonder if  the Bitcoinfaucet code is open...

P.S.:

A faucet with 1-2 million TBX milking out 2-4 units per a Google account login could keep trucking for looooooong...
I could create a basic faucet with Google authorization in a matter of hours, provided you get your daemon up and running properly.
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:27:41 PM

How much would be "not" too ridiculous ? We could, you know, arrange for a publicly monitored Tenebrix faucet (ala bitcoin faucet) and I could donate the "extra" part to it, leaving myself with the not too ridiculous part for bounties and stuffs (my humble TBX laundry side project would likely die then, alas   Cry )

I wonder if  the Bitcoinfaucet code is open...

P.S.:

I could create a basic faucet with Google authorization in a matter of hours, provided you get your daemon up and running properly.

Okay, could you also throw some fancy pattern-based captcha on top of it to discourage the new High-perfomance OCR bots, just in case there is a herder with large amount of IPs/GoogleAccs ?

If yes, then deal is done, and as soon as the linux daemon stops being a pissy bitch, we shall launch the faucet.

Would everyone gathered herein consider a donation of 1.5 mils to the faucet sufficient to consider the issue closed ?

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 02:08:55 PM

the large amount of premined coins means there's less inflation
the owners of the coins are the people who actually participate in development and spreading of the project, paid by bounties
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:29:42 PM

Anyone who mines this without understanding how FPGA miners could be made to emulate CPUs is a moron. This currency was designed by Artforz for Artforz. Plus 3 years worth of mining pre-mined? Ridiculous....
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:37:41 PM

Sorry to say but Tenebrix is a worst case marketing name.
Not only impossible to remember if you hear it once but such a name also gives a negative loop on the word of mouth effect.

So if you are serious about your business you need to treat the naming of the coin serious.

Other than that good luck!

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:38:51 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2011, 04:57:33 PM by Lolcust

the large amount of premined coins means there's less inflation
the owners of the coins are the people who actually participate in development and spreading of the project, paid by bounties

Basically, that's exactly like DeBeers - they do indeed control a large piece of (until not so long ago, pretty much all) diamond market, but they actually use it to ensure that the market is viable and the diamonds are expensive.

Selling off when you have a VERY large chunk is just plain stupid.

But I actually like the Faucet idea... Yes, I will be less phat and my laundry project will have to scale down quite some, but hey, on the other hand people like them coin faucets and them faucets solve the whole "first adopter" complaint by quite a lot.

And 1.5 mil will keep the faucet dripping for a looong time.

Anyone who mines this without understanding how FPGA miners could be made to emulate CPUs is a moron. This currency was designed by Artforz for Artforz. Plus 3 years worth of mining pre-mined? Ridiculous....

So, you propose using a $700+ chunk of hardware to emulate (which necessitates losses) a $100+ chunk of hardware ? Sorry, but would you like to buy my bridge ?

I accept BTC, GEG, SC-1, NMC, i0, ix, TBX, USD LR and pecunix as viable forms of bridge payment.

As for 3 years worth of coins, less now since I have pledged 1.5 mil to the TBX Faucet project.

Feed the Lolcust!
Winnopeg

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:48:46 PM

Nice walkthrough. Downloading the zip from github (clearly I'm not a linux person) I couldn't get it to compile, so I followed your steps and used the git app. I think the client compiled, but when I try to run it I get this:
Code:
x@x:~/Downloads/Tenebrix$ ./bitcoin-qt
bitcoin-qt: src/main.cpp:1754: bool LoadBlockIndex(bool): Assertion `block.hashMerkleRoot == uint256("0x4e77ffdc1baa20ffffab9d901f418f7496b2a710e462ac4047accdb8b3b774f9")' failed.
Aborted
Anyone know what's up? The Windows binary runs great on Vista & 7, but I'm curious as to what my ailing netbook running Ubuntu can do.

did you copy the config to file?

Code:
$ cat README.rst
Tenebrix - a cryptocurrency with solid stance in favor of CPU and against GPU
PoW based on scrypt

Based on multicoin-QT

ATTENTION!!!
[b]DON'T FORGET TO PLACE tenebrix.conf into your[/b] [s]APPDATA or default tenebrix folder (%APPDATA%\tenebrix on Win,[/s] [b]~/.tenebrix/ on Unixes[/b])
Probably not Wink

now you really owe me a 25 tbrix Smiley
D'oh, now I feel stupid. Sure enough, that was it. Send along your receiving address. Smiley

Trying to install the linux miner didn't work so well. I got stuck with the same thing Bobnova posted a few pages back, and installing a libcurl4-dev pack (the first listed) didn't help as suggested by ArtForz. So, I downloaded wine and the windows miner and that worked just fine first try. Not ideal, but eh, it works.

So now I'm getting ~1.83 khash/s on my Phenom X4 955 (OC'd to 3.8GHz, stock clocks it gets 1.55 khash/s; three threads only since the fourth core is mining), 0.4 khash/s on an old 2GHz C2D laptop (two threads) and a whopping 0.32 khash/s (one thread) on my Ubuntu-running 1.6GHz Atom netbook. I'm actually pretty impressed, 0.32 seems good for a first-gen Atom compared to that C2D...
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:54:35 PM

Do bear in mind that current CPU miner for Tenebrix does not employ a whole bunch of clever tricks and is not optimized for 64-bit architectures.

So in the future, slightly more khashes could be squeezed out of ye olde cpus.

Feed the Lolcust!
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:56:27 PM

Yep, it's still very unoptimized.
Just compiling scrypt.c in cpuminer with -O3 on amd64 linux ends up at 3.28kH/s/core on a AthlonII @ 3.6GHz.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:07:40 PM

I was going to PM lolcust about this but I might well ask publicly now that the issue of the pre-coins has come up.

I run a wiki about human rejuvenation at http://www.rejuvepedia.org and I am hoping to secure some donations.

One of the Rejuvepedia spin-off projects called "Project In-Utero" will soon have a website and forum (hosted at www.in-utero.org) that will hopefully sprawn a collaborative online community around
the idea that we can completely rejuvenate a human body over 9 months by using a tissue engineered and wetware controlled placenta and uterus. The person being rejuvenated will
effectively be spending 9 months back in the womb and when they come out will still be an adult but have younger looking skin than a teenager as their body will be completely rejuvenated.

The placenta will feed the person with stem cells and effectively the person will be in a state of anaerobic respiration. I have a theory that there is something very special about anaerobic respiration that makes cells
proliferate as they don't need to repair oxidative damage.

Of course this will be tested on mice (and other mammals) long before we start to proceed to work out how we could ethically proceed to do this with humans.

I want to put forward some bounties to develop the art-work or animations showing this happening to help inspire people and capture their imaginations. I am hoping to secure some coins towards these bounties but I will contribute to them myself as well.

Lolcust: could you possibly contribute some Tenebrix to this project?

I have to get ready for work now but my contract is ending in a few days time so I will have a lot more time to work on this then.

I know next to nothing about biology, but I might contribute.

That whole i'll build a bigass womb and unbirth your ass so you can get younger by cutting the oxygen to your brain thing doesn't sound all that scientific...i would hold my money till it undergoes the peer review process and stuff.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:19:52 PM

How much would be "not" too ridiculous ?

I think having any premined coins is ridiculous. You make the rules for the currency, you should play by them just like anybody else.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
caston

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 05:25:07 PM

Would it be possible to get this running on the cell broadband engine?

Maybe we could start by modding:

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/06/cellminer-bitcoin-miner-for-the-cell-broadband-engine-architecture/

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:27:04 PM

How much would be "not" too ridiculous ?

I think having any premined coins is ridiculous. You make the rules for the currency, you should play by them just like anybody else.

Okay,  that is a respectably consistent, if restrictive, opinion.

However, do you at least admit that at least theoretically  while, of course, premining can be abused, it enables one to do very nice things for the project as a whole, like for instance pay programmers (at least after the coin starts exchanging), set up a faucet that doesn't run dry for a loooong time, run a fanciful "give old cryptothingies and a small fee, receive fresh coins cryptothingies " service Cheesy ?

Would it be possible to get this running on the cell broadband engine?

Maybe we could start by modding:

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/06/cellminer-bitcoin-miner-for-the-cell-broadband-engine-architecture/

It should be possible to get it scrypt crunching, but it is off course impossible to tell how good a scrypt cruncher will it be.

I think you should try, it will be an interesting project irrespective of eventual performance outcome.

Feed the Lolcust!
caston

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 05:33:59 PM

I think you should try, it will be an interesting project irrespective of eventual performance outcome.

Well I don't own a PS3 but I think Art Fortz would have some ideas.

I found this thread as well by Hebination:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=26281.0

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:35:15 PM

Well I don't own a PS3 but I think Art Fortz would have some ideas.

Indeed, certainly do ask him.

Feed the Lolcust!
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:45:09 PM

given that in fact, the existence of the fund was both explicitly stated in first post and in the config,  I am somewhat surprised that you have missed something that was never concealed in the first place.
in the first post you should not mention the existence of the fund but also it's size - that would be transparent

is it possible to modify the client so that it considers all coins from block #1 invalid?

BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:47:06 PM

..it enables one to do ...things...
isn't that the whole point?
or the other way around: isn't it the whole point of a decentralized currency to not enable one to rule it all?

Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 06:01:55 PM

..it enables one to do ...things...
isn't that the whole point?
or the other way around: isn't it the whole point of a decentralized currency to not enable one to rule it all?

1) No, the point is to create a system which limits minting opportunities in an systematic  mathematically reliable manner. That's why my little fun-d is less noxious that "protection racket in the blockchain". I had one, and only one, opportunity to premine - system will never give me another such opportunity.

Now, if I had a pseudo-tax, the system would have been given me a bunch of coins generated by other people's hardware and electricity with every block, no matter what Wink

Know what? You can even have cryptocurrencies where only Select Few have the right to mine and can have cryptographic voting as to whether include or expunge someone from the Select Few (Coinhunter, I am giving this idea away fo' freeeeee   Grin )

2) Being able to hire programmers, organize PR (that is, if I can convince myself to abandon the "do not spam twitter" principle which I so far am not successful at), and run a phat laundry is hardly really a case of where one can "rule it" (all or part).

Now, if I could decide who mines and who does not, that would be a case of "rulership", but I can't be bothered to mess with such a tricky system Wink

given that in fact, the existence of the fund was both explicitly stated in first post and in the config,  I am somewhat surprised that you have missed something that was never concealed in the first place.
in the first post you should not mention the existence of the fund but also it's size - that would be transparent

Technically, the fund is specified in the config, so it's not particularly hidden, and besides we seem to have reached the agreement that the amount of premining that is "proper" is an intractable issue.

The only answers are either "no premining at all" (and thus no fund-shmund, period), or whatever "feels right" which is bellyfeel-based decision making approach (and since we have different bellies, we will have a hard time coming to agreement as to how much is too far, and when does one's grasp exceed grasp Wink )

is it possible to modify the client so that it considers all coins from block #1 invalid?
No, but it is possible to put coins into a faucet so that they can not be touched by the voracious Lolcust and slowly trickle down onto the late-adopters.

If you consider faucet donation of 1.5 mil to be insufficiently fair, I would like to hear what fund size would you consider appropriate - after all, I might agree and donate more to the faucet (though it will cut into my laundry side-project, making me quite a sad panda  Cry )

Feed the Lolcust!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: