Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:15:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 104 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cypherfunks[FUNK]: a coin for a global band! Talking v2. Join! 80+ songs  (Read 148686 times)
Cor2

Activity: 595
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:37:39 AM

Are we stuck at block 180? What is happening? No block found in the Network since 26 minutes
We had some weird blocks already where the time jumped back and forth.
I hope the KGW did not get confused or that we are already forked?
I think that would be a record...

SYNC: Sd3XBRmhrrr39Wj4rtjb3YAkwWvCze44BZ                    ORB: odyWi677JDQy7Gc6Nv6kCdnajmScqgTkDE       Honest pools (payout matching calculation):
TransferWise: International money transfer for 1%fee        Doge to the moon! D9FGY7Bhwbj2jrnk7v8VR47HTu7vfVu1gV         Nut2pools and Steadymining

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCspoon

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:41:22 AM

Are we stuck at block 180? What is happening? No block found in the Network since 26 minutes
191 here
omnik

Activity: 569
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:42:25 AM

Will we ever find a block?!
This sux big time.
NielDLR

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 10:43:31 AM

I really like the idea of a decentralised band but I don't see how Cypherfunks the currency ties into all this.  It seems to have no actual connection to the Cyptherfunks music apart from having the same name.  The musicians are just basically giving away their creations and everyone has the option of tipping them in Cypherfunks (currrency).  Why not just tip them with bitcoin?  

This is a problem Devcoin has been looking at figuring out how to solve.  They have a 'collective writing project' - devtome.com and the writing counts as mining, a portion of all the coins are sent to the writers.  They've been trying to work out how to do the same for music, but then you run into a whole slew of problems such as:  There would be vast differences in the quality of the music, how to judge who should get paid how much?  There would have to be voting, which is corruptible and requires a certain size listener base etc.  Not an easy problem to solve with the current available solutions!  

Cypherfunks doesn't seem to attempt to solve this, we just now have another altcoin that can be used to tip musicians, just like bitcoin or any of the other alts.  The only difference is there's a centralised website (thecypherfunks.com) where presumably the upload of music and the tipping of musicians in Cypherfunks will occur as well as a 'brand name/band name' - the Cypherfunks.

It sounds like an interesting experiment but as a musician myself (currently chronically ill and unable to produce anything) I would be hesitant to upload my music to Cyperfunks.com (I don't actually see that as an option :s).  So what, musicians can release music anywhere under the name Cypherfunks or not, and then what?  Get paid in tips just like any alt?  

Can you explain how the system works in a bit more detail please, have I' missed something?  I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out but just quite skeptical at the moment.  

I'm sure Simon would add some more here.

But the way I see it is that the decentralized (and also amorphous) band idea hasn't been done before. The incentive to such a project would have been hard in itself because few people want to attribute their time and energy to something where they won't get any easy gains. When you add a cryptocurrency to this idea, it becames a realization of the idea as a commodity. As stated on the site: "The cryptocurrency also means that if the collective releases great music, we ALL become successful: enabling us to continue churning out great music to share and remix. It is music, decentralized: attempting to be the world's biggest, and most diverse band."

I see it actually as both a band and a record label in that sense. It's super interesting either way! A grand experiment in how we relate value to music and our identities to it as well.

From a personal musical journey, I don't get to produce a lot of music. Maybe one song every three months. My own artist identity is too small. I won't get money out of it and there's no point to build my own personal brand. But I still enjoy sharing my music, so I'll release it as part of The Cypherfunks. I contribute to the project and hopefully the cryptocurrency as well. I don't care if I get famous or anything, I just like sharing my tunes and perhaps with some extra funks in my pocket I can pay that interest forward.

The Cypherfunks - A decentralized band and cryptocurrency. The first cryptocollective.
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:49:24 AM

But the way I see it is that the decentralized (and also amorphous) band idea hasn't been done before. The incentive to such a project would have been hard in itself because few people want to attribute their time and energy to something where they won't get any easy gains. When you add a cryptocurrency to this idea, it becames a realization of the idea as a commodity. As stated on the site: "The cryptocurrency also means that if the collective releases great music, we ALL become successful: enabling us to continue churning out great music to share and remix. It is music, decentralized: attempting to be the world's biggest, and most diverse band."

But how does the whole collective become successful if great music is released?  If the musician doesn't buy or mine any Cyperfunks they don't gain anything from Cypherfunks going up in value.  Musicians have to invest in Cyperfunks to have the chance to gain anything and if it 'takes off' then whoever invested earlier gets the most, not the best/most highly contributory musicians.    
Cor2

Activity: 595
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:50:06 AM

191 here
Closed and re-launched the wallet, now it shows 195.
OK, weird...

SYNC: Sd3XBRmhrrr39Wj4rtjb3YAkwWvCze44BZ                    ORB: odyWi677JDQy7Gc6Nv6kCdnajmScqgTkDE       Honest pools (payout matching calculation):
TransferWise: International money transfer for 1%fee        Doge to the moon! D9FGY7Bhwbj2jrnk7v8VR47HTu7vfVu1gV         Nut2pools and Steadymining
NielDLR

Activity: 95

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 11:02:03 AM

But how does the whole collective become successful if great music is released?  If the musician doesn't buy or mine any Cyperfunks they don't gain anything from Cypherfunks going up in value.  Musicians have to invest in Cyperfunks to have the chance to gain anything and if it 'takes off' then whoever invested earlier gets the most, not the best/most highly contributory musicians.    

That is true, but you can get Cypherfunks through contributing music and then someone tips you. Successful songs will hopefully garner more interest and get more Cypherfunks. When you hold Cypherfunks it is then in your interest to help the collective grow by encouraging other songs and musicians. It's hopefully a positive feedback loop. So, if I'm on the outside looking at Cypherfunks and see people sharing tips and contributions, then I would like to be involved, then either I buy/mine or make music myself. Does that make sense? I'm investing in my own music, but also the potential of other awesome musicians and the producing community.

The Cypherfunks - A decentralized band and cryptocurrency. The first cryptocollective.
simondlr (OP)

Activity: 424

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:06:20 AM

I really like the idea of a decentralised band but I don't see how Cypherfunks the currency ties into all this.  It seems to have no actual connection to the Cyptherfunks music apart from having the same name.  The musicians are just basically giving away their creations and everyone has the option of tipping them in Cypherfunks (currrency).  Why not just tip them with bitcoin?  

This is a problem Devcoin has been looking at figuring out how to solve.  They have a 'collective writing project' - devtome.com and the writing counts as mining, a portion of all the coins are sent to the writers.  They've been trying to work out how to do the same for music, but then you run into a whole slew of problems such as:  There would be vast differences in the quality of the music, how to judge who should get paid how much?  There would have to be voting, which is corruptible and requires a certain size listener base etc.  Not an easy problem to solve with the current available solutions!  

Cypherfunks doesn't seem to attempt to solve this, we just now have another altcoin that can be used to tip musicians, just like bitcoin or any of the other alts.  The only difference is there's a centralised website (thecypherfunks.com) where presumably the upload of music and the tipping of musicians in Cypherfunks will occur as well as a 'brand name/band name' - the Cypherfunks.

It sounds like an interesting experiment but as a musician myself (currently chronically ill and unable to produce anything) I would be hesitant to upload my music to Cyperfunks.com (I don't actually see that as an option :s).  So what, musicians can release music anywhere under the name Cypherfunks or not, and then what?  Get paid in tips just like any alt?  

Can you explain how the system works in a bit more detail please, have I' missed something?  I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out but just quite skeptical at the moment.  

No worries. Skepticism is good.

Cryptocurrencies represent different network effects. Bitcoin encompasses a lot more, and thus doesn't represent different niches (various smaller closely clustered networks within the bigger network). A decentralized band (one anyone can release music for) is difficult to sustain, because the incentive to release music to a public good, means you relinquish some of the possibility to gain out of it. If an altcoin represents the collective, then when the network effect increases (more listeners, more musicians), the value of the altcoin increases.

Quality doesn't matter. Cream will float to the top. There's no top-down band 'leader'. It's free affiliation. For a musician it gives them a new option to get heard. If you join a collective that is already known you can get ears listening to it, you belong to a greater community, and you can get tips for it.

It IS an experiment in a way to organise differently for musicians in the 21st century. With barriers to entry getting increasingly lower, the sum usually ends up great than the parts. Hopefully, at least.

Hope you get well soon!

@NielDLR explains it well. Think of it both as stock and currency in a network: the decentralized band.

Tip: BTC 1LbHAZv2mbZZMTu2k4xLcg8p5q4FatgkA7. Doge DFVzezccAsdq1LQwrPTDe1nMXKrL7aEUWY. FUNK: CXfgJPSbY1C5paVwiSHnm942tJPyK9xSfy
The Cypherfunks: a decentralized band & cryptocurrency. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469407.0

Bitrated: https://www.bitrated.com/simondlr/
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 11:08:16 AM

Isn't it the very definition of a band to be a centralized group of musicians ?

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
florianuhlemann

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:09:51 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 09:23:50 AM by florianuhlemann

ATTENTION: Our P2Pool has moved to a new, faster and better location!
Please point your miners to this new host asap! This is a fixed IP, domain name coming soon.

What's new?
SHARECHAIN: I've reduced the PPLNS payout calculation down to a 4 hour formula.
LOCATION: Located in the north of France, this dedicated 3.4GHz Intel IvyBridge server provides faster connection times and quicker response times for all miners east and west of the Atlantic Ocean.

Please spread the hashrate! Come join us!

The Cypherfunks P2Pool - Mining Platform

Web Interface: http://94.23.196.92:36363

CGMiner Settings
URL: stratum+tcp://94.23.196.92:36363
USER: your_wallet_address
PASS: 123

Suggested Additional Settings
QUEUE: 0
SCAN-TIME: 2
EXPIRY: 8

What is a P2Pool? It's a decentralized mining pool network. Usually multiple nodes act as one big pool together. However, due to this fresh launch, this is the only node available at the moment. So what do you gain from this "P2Pool" then? You're basically finding mini-blocks for a sharechain and whenever a share of this sharechain is greater or equal to the difficulty of The Cypherfunks (FUNK), a block is found and the payout is immediate! In the block creation code, your wallet address is implemented and the block pays directly to you. No middleman! No risk!

Please, give it a try!
taonico

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:29:12 AM

TAO POOL DOWN!

Sorry guys, but i have to figure out why we didn't find a block!

Thanks for your understanding
rallyeg60

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:30:43 AM

Nova can you please try and remove token expiration on login, I've been trying to enter for an hour now.

me too:)
florianuhlemann

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:38:54 AM

why dont you use my pool? direct payment without me being involved or being able to hold coins back.
p2pool is one of the safest ways to pool mine Wink
imine253

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:40:02 AM

why dont you use my pool? direct payment without me being involved or being able to hold coins back.
p2pool is one of the safest ways to pool mine Wink
What is the difference between a normal pool and p2p?
florianuhlemann

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:43:28 AM

What is the difference between a normal pool and p2p?

a p2pool uses a different technology to mine.. it creates a secondary "cryptocurrency" (called a share chain) which has a lower difficulty and therefore shares (blocks of the share chain) are found every few seconds by everyone. like the regular shares on a normal stratum pool. (p2pool uses stratum as well)

now if you find a share-chain block (share) which has a difficulty equal to or higher than the difficulty of Cypherfunks, you find a cypherfunk block. the generated coins from this block are instantly paid into the miners wallets, that were active in the mining required to find this block.. comparable to eligius.st mining for bitcoin.
imine253

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:45:34 AM

a p2pool uses a different technology to mine.. it creates a secondary "cryptocurrency" (called a share chain) which has a lower difficulty and therefore shares (blocks of the share chain) are found every few seconds by everyone. like the regular shares on a normal stratum pool. (p2pool uses stratum as well)

now if you find a share-chain block (share) which has a difficulty equal to or higher than the difficulty of Cypherfunks, you find a cypherfunk block. the generated coins from this block are instantly paid into the miners wallets, that were active in the mining required to find this block.. comparable to eligius.st mining for bitcoin.
Hmm I'll point one of my miners at your pool and see how it goes. No harm in giving it a try. Is there a way to monitor your miners on a p2p pool?
florianuhlemann

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:46:48 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 09:23:28 AM by florianuhlemann

Hmm I'll point one of my miners at your pool and see how it goes. No harm in giving it a try. Is there a way to monitor your miners on a p2p pool?

yes, I updated the frontend to a little more graph-intensive option...

you can look up the graphs of the pool and even of your own miner in a table or graph.

I'm giving the pool a headstart of 6.85MH/s so we can soon find a block Wink Come and push that hash!
wyj1888

Activity: 164

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:52:28 AM

where is the pool??? GPU OR CPU??
simondlr (OP)

Activity: 424

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:59:09 AM

I promised you guys something and here we go!
This is my first try to make a public pool. please be kind to it! Smiley
I hope it survives.

The Cypherfunks P2Pool

• easy to use! (p2pool tech)
  • point your miner to this address: p2poolcypherfunk.cloudapp.net:36363
  • username equals your wallet address (no exchange, only direct wallet-address from your QT or daemon) like so: CWawweAiDu7MHggXUFVwMdb8tiP2djeLrm
  • password doesn't matter very simple: 123
  • 2% fee to pay for server (hope that is enough^^)

if you want to build your own node, here are the inportant settings i decided to use

identifier: D0D1D2D3B2D28CC6
prefix: D0D3D4D522C11DC6
address version = 28
p2pool-port = 36663 (you can use my node as bootstrap source with p2poolcypherfunk.cloudapp.net)
worker-port = 36363

EDIT: We have yet to find a block to prove it works :-) Help us out.

Nice one! I like this.

Tip: BTC 1LbHAZv2mbZZMTu2k4xLcg8p5q4FatgkA7. Doge DFVzezccAsdq1LQwrPTDe1nMXKrL7aEUWY. FUNK: CXfgJPSbY1C5paVwiSHnm942tJPyK9xSfy
The Cypherfunks: a decentralized band & cryptocurrency. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469407.0

Bitrated: https://www.bitrated.com/simondlr/
florianuhlemann

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:01:31 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 09:28:18 AM by florianuhlemann

BIING! First block found. Pool works Wink

I might adjust the difficulty share settings in the future, but for now it seems to work. Get as much hash as you have in there.. Just don't kill it Cheesy

I promised you guys something and here we go!
This is my first try to make a public pool. please be kind to it! Smiley
I hope it survives.

The Cypherfunks P2Pool

• easy to use! (p2pool tech)
  • point your miner to this address: 94.23.196.92:36363
  • username equals your wallet address (no exchange, only direct wallet-address from your QT or daemon) like so: CWawweAiDu7MHggXUFVwMdb8tiP2djeLrm
  • password doesn't matter very simple: 123
  • 2% fee to pay for server (hope that is enough^^)

if you want to build your own node, here are the inportant settings i decided to use

identifier: D0D1D2D3B2D28CC6
prefix: D0D3D4D522C11DC6
address version = 28
p2pool-port = 36663 (you can use my node as bootstrap source with p2poolcypherfunk.cloudapp.net)
worker-port = 36363

EDIT: We have yet to find a block to prove it works :-) Help us out.

Nice one! I like this.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 104 »
  Print  

Jump to: