Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 06:25:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 [440] 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
butragenjo

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 09:54:21 PM

How about to add DNotes to staisybit stacking online wallet? I can try to ask staisybit dev for that. He says,thats is difficult but I can try to ask:)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1091402.0
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2016, 10:53:54 PM

How about to add DNotes to staisybit stacking online wallet? I can try to ask staisybit dev for that. He says,thats is difficult but I can try to ask:)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1091402.0

Unfortunately the staking part wouldn't work for DNotes as we are POW, just the POS coins and hybrids. The system he has setup looks pretty interesting though.

IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 12:37:05 AM

'The key reason we feel DNotes has a chance to become the globally accepted supplemental digital currency we have envisioned is because we are building a framework that allows us and everyone else to have a vested interest in DNotes success.'

Ian and I are rock-solid convinced of one thing: ultimately, it's the community not the instrument. Indeed the recent drop in price (suffered by plenty of other good cryptos . . . ) is a concern; but 99.9% of community talk about 'commitment to long-term development' is hot air, just feel-good stuff to mask a short-term desire to make a buck. And when such coins drop in price, the community bails.

Dnotes strikes us as the exception. Where It Will All End Up is shrouded in mystery -- welcome to the human condition -- but (a) the frank countenancing of the situation, and (b) the patient nature of development until now both encourage us strongly.

[And the Dnotes wallet? It's a beautie! Never plays up.]

Mark
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 12:45:05 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2016, 01:00:01 AM by DNotes

'The key reason we feel DNotes has a chance to become the globally accepted supplemental digital currency we have envisioned is because we are building a framework that allows us and everyone else to have a vested interest in DNotes success.'

Ian and I are rock-solid convinced of one thing: ultimately, it's the community not the instrument. Indeed the recent drop in price (suffered by plenty of other good cryptos . . . ) is a concern; but 99.9% of community talk about 'commitment to long-term development' is hot air, just feel-good stuff to mask a short-term desire to make a buck. And when such coins drop in price, the community bails.

Dnotes strikes us as the exception. Where It Will All End Up is shrouded in mystery -- welcome to the human condition -- but (a) the frank countenancing of the situation, and (b) the patient nature of development until now both encourage us strongly.

Mark

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Mark, it is encouraging, especially since I recognize your thoughtful and analytical nature.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 02:43:35 AM

You don't have to read this entire article, but check out the bag of cash used to pay for 3 coffees and 2 waters in Venezuela.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/reporters-notebook/moving-to-venezuela/venezuela-currency

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:03:01 AM

Mark

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Mark, it is encouraging, especially since I recognize your thoughtful and analytical nature.

Every truly disruptive technology involves behavioral changes. And change takes time. In the case of digital currency, people’s hard earned money is involved. Trust and comfort factors, which take time to build, become important considerations. It is further complicated by human greed and dishonesty. This makes it even more important for us to build a responsive and trustworthy community. For that is a reflection of our culture. We are invested and committed for the long term.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:17:12 AM

You don't have to read this entire article, but check out the bag of cash used to pay for 3 coffees and 2 waters in Venezuela.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/reporters-notebook/moving-to-venezuela/venezuela-currency

I expected it to be bad, but, wow! That is very bad! Eye-opening!
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:49:19 AM

I expected it to be bad, but, wow! That is very bad! Eye-opening!

Oops! I should have read a little more diligently.  The bag of cash shown is worth $152. This picture on Twitter is what he had to use to pay for 3 coffees and 2 waters - https://twitter.com/caseysjournal/status/686963153092120576

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:52:53 AM

Another great story Evander.  Smiley

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 02:55:21 PM

This is a very positive mainstream media article out today - what a breath of fresh air!

Canadian bitcoin exchange bought out by Kraken

TORONTO – A Canadian bitcoin exchange will be acquired by a San Francisco-based exchange, a move that signals consolidation may be afoot in the so-called cryptocurrency world.

Bitcoin exchanges are described as the on-ramps and off-ramps of the bitcoin world, allowing users to trade their cash for the digital currency, or vice versa.

Cavirtex, a Canadian exchange, was originally launched in 2011. In April 2015 it was acquired by Coinsetter, a New York-based exchange that targets Wall Street traders.

Following the deal, both exchanges continued to operate as separate entities.

Kraken, a global bitcoin exchange headquartered in San Francisco, says it will acquire both Cavirtex and Coinsetter for an undisclosed amount, and will consolidate the two exchanges under its own brand. Client accounts will be transferred to the new platform on Jan. 26.

Bitcoin is a virtual currency that is not controlled by an authority such as a central bank, and is exchanged through peer-to-peer computer networks.

Kyle Kemper, senior vice-president of global business development at Coinsetter, says the deal will provide Canadians using the Cavirtex exchange with more liquidity and the ability to swap their bitcoins for a broader array of foreign currencies.

“Before with Cavirtex you were only able to trade the Bitcoin-Canadian dollar pair,” says Kemper.

“Now Canadians will also be able to trade Bitcoin-U.S. dollar, Bitcoin-euro, Bitcoin-Great British pound, Bitcoin-Japanese yen.”

Kemper says the dramatic spike in the value of bitcoin in 2013 – which skyrocketed to more than US$1,000 before subsequently falling lower – caused a slew of new exchanges to open up shop.

Now the exchanges are beginning to consolidate, a sign that Kemper says indicates the cryptocurrency industry is starting to mature.

“The industry is definitely maturing,” said Kemper. “The central banks are talking about it. The regular banks are talking about. The technology behind it is getting all sorts of play.”

The deal will also see Kraken launch an advertising campaign for Bitcoin in Toronto, encouraging Canadians to purchase the cryptocurrency.

“We’ve been servicing the bitcoin community, but now it’s about reaching out to the larger community as well,” said Kemper.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2462689/canadian-bitcoin-exchange-bought-out-by-kraken/

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:20:55 PM

This is a very positive mainstream media article out today - what a breath of fresh air!

Canadian bitcoin exchange bought out by Kraken

TORONTO – A Canadian bitcoin exchange will be acquired by a San Francisco-based exchange, a move that signals consolidation may be afoot in the so-called cryptocurrency world.

Bitcoin exchanges are described as the on-ramps and off-ramps of the bitcoin world, allowing users to trade their cash for the digital currency, or vice versa.

Cavirtex, a Canadian exchange, was originally launched in 2011. In April 2015 it was acquired by Coinsetter, a New York-based exchange that targets Wall Street traders.

Following the deal, both exchanges continued to operate as separate entities.

Kraken, a global bitcoin exchange headquartered in San Francisco, says it will acquire both Cavirtex and Coinsetter for an undisclosed amount, and will consolidate the two exchanges under its own brand. Client accounts will be transferred to the new platform on Jan. 26.

Bitcoin is a virtual currency that is not controlled by an authority such as a central bank, and is exchanged through peer-to-peer computer networks.

Kyle Kemper, senior vice-president of global business development at Coinsetter, says the deal will provide Canadians using the Cavirtex exchange with more liquidity and the ability to swap their bitcoins for a broader array of foreign currencies.

“Before with Cavirtex you were only able to trade the Bitcoin-Canadian dollar pair,” says Kemper.

“Now Canadians will also be able to trade Bitcoin-U.S. dollar, Bitcoin-euro, Bitcoin-Great British pound, Bitcoin-Japanese yen.”

Kemper says the dramatic spike in the value of bitcoin in 2013 – which skyrocketed to more than US$1,000 before subsequently falling lower – caused a slew of new exchanges to open up shop.

Now the exchanges are beginning to consolidate, a sign that Kemper says indicates the cryptocurrency industry is starting to mature.

“The industry is definitely maturing,” said Kemper. “The central banks are talking about it. The regular banks are talking about. The technology behind it is getting all sorts of play.”

The deal will also see Kraken launch an advertising campaign for Bitcoin in Toronto, encouraging Canadians to purchase the cryptocurrency.

“We’ve been servicing the bitcoin community, but now it’s about reaching out to the larger community as well,” said Kemper.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2462689/canadian-bitcoin-exchange-bought-out-by-kraken/

That is an interesting move and an early sign of much more consolidation in the horizon. Here is another case in point, that there is often a pioneer burden. The smart ones will merge or be acquired; others may just vanished.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 04:58:26 PM

http://dcebrief.com/op-ed-why-i-applaud-mike-hearn-for-turning-on-bitcoin/

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 05:33:40 PM

I have to admit, the title made me nervous when I first read it  - lol. But it did exactly what it was supposed to do and that is draw me into a story I couldn't stop reading. This is a fantastic article!!

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 06:13:25 PM

I have to admit, the title made me nervous when I first read it  - lol. But it did exactly what it was supposed to do and that is draw me into a story I couldn't stop reading. This is a fantastic article!!

It is a long one, but well worth the read. The title threw me off a tad too lol.

kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 08:27:51 PM

Loved the article, Evander pointed out what I'm sure many of us were thinking...

"I have no doubt that R3 made it worth Mike’s while to divest himself of Bitcoin and any such entanglements."  ... "Maybe by buying out Hearn, they can destroy Bitcoin from the inside-out?"

"So why did I title this “Why I Applaud Mike Hearn For Turning on Bitcoin?” He is doing what is best for himself, financially. He is exposing himself as a true capitalist, not an altruistic computer developer devoting his life to Bitcoin, and seeing it through to the end. " This is a difficult problem for Bitcoin, who can really devote their lives to Bitcoin development long term without some sort of compensation. Eventually, without some sort of long term funding strategy, the money will just dry up. Development is very time consuming and needs dedicated people who can essentially devote their lives to it, especially with something as complicated as Bitcoin.
Bergman

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 11:19:48 PM

Loved the article, Evander pointed out what I'm sure many of us were thinking...

"I have no doubt that R3 made it worth Mike’s while to divest himself of Bitcoin and any such entanglements."  ... "Maybe by buying out Hearn, they can destroy Bitcoin from the inside-out?"

"So why did I title this “Why I Applaud Mike Hearn For Turning on Bitcoin?” He is doing what is best for himself, financially. He is exposing himself as a true capitalist, not an altruistic computer developer devoting his life to Bitcoin, and seeing it through to the end. " This is a difficult problem for Bitcoin, who can really devote their lives to Bitcoin development long term without some sort of compensation. Eventually, without some sort of long term funding strategy, the money will just dry up. Development is very time consuming and needs dedicated people who can essentially devote their lives to it, especially with something as complicated as Bitcoin.

This story is all over the news. Mike may have had motivation to stretch the truth, but I wonder how much of a problem it will be for network stability as we start to reach capacity, that seems like it could be a real issue. I guess we are going to find out
"Sometimes it takes a crisis to get everyone in a room... So if we are going to have a crisis, let's get on with it. No better time than the present."
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 11:33:48 PM

This story is all over the news. Mike may have had motivation to stretch the truth, but I wonder how much of a problem it will be for network stability as we start to reach capacity, that seems like it could be a real issue. I guess we are going to find out
"Sometimes it takes a crisis to get everyone in a room... So if we are going to have a crisis, let's get on with it. No better time than the present."

I agree Bergman, I can't predict what might happen but I'm sure reaching capacity could have a negative effect, and not just on delayed transactions. It is something that really needs to have some serious testing done.

TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:32:31 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2016, 01:26:59 AM by TeeGee

I really enjoyed that article from Evander. People should follow their own desires, and Hearn is and that's all well and dandy. I liked it so much I've even 'boosted' the post on Facebook on a new community page we've created and it has reached nearly 300 people in the last 2 hours here: https://www.facebook.com/Anarkiwis/?fref=ts

Just doing some re-writing now on an article I can hopefully release soon Smiley

One interesting comment about blockchains would be the decentralised nature of upgrades to the network. Invariably, I think this should be decided by the client people choose to use. Some people may comment that if you can change the new coin supply value or max limit (DNotes would know?) - then is a blockchain really as resistant to "printing money" (quantitative easing) as when compared to fiat money? At the least though, even if the algorithm is changed, there is no way to 'rig' the system so that the people who changed it get all the money to spend first - which is the case with the fiat system.

Anyway, back to writing.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 02:54:49 AM

I really enjoyed that article from Evander. People should follow their own desires, and Hearn is and that's all well and dandy. I liked it so much I've even 'boosted' the post on Facebook on a new community page we've created and it has reached nearly 300 people in the last 2 hours here: https://www.facebook.com/Anarkiwis/?fref=ts

Just doing some re-writing now on an article I can hopefully release soon Smiley

One interesting comment about blockchains would be the decentralised nature of upgrades to the network. Invariably, I think this should be decided by the client people choose to use. Some people may comment that if you can change the new coin supply value or max limit (DNotes would know?) - then is a blockchain really as resistant to "printing money" (quantitative easing) as when compared to fiat money? At the least though, even if the algorithm is changed, there is no way to 'rig' the system so that the people who changed it get all the money to spend first - which is the case with the fiat system.

Anyway, back to writing.

I am committed to a full day of writing, trying hard to catch-up. Just dropped in to say "hello". 300 people in a few hours is very impressive, TeeGee.

"I liked it so much I've even 'boosted' the post on Facebook on a new community page we've created and it has reached nearly 300 people in the last 2 hours here."
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 04:08:33 AM

From Twitter:

BigVern ‏@cryptsy  3m3 minutes ago

50 wallets have been opened for withdrawals. More will be opening over next few days

Pages: « 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 [440] 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: