Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:00:51 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 [445] 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:27:54 AM

This is a gloomy forecast:

'WORSE THAN 2007': Top banker warns of looming wave of worldwide bankruptcies

http://www.businessinsider.com/top-banker-warns-of-worldwide-bankruptcies-2016-1?amp

Gloomy indeed. Global financial crisis is knocking. Then again, has it ever stopped.

This part was pretty interesting. Contrary to the typical sacrifice the future for today perspective.

White believes governments hold the key, telling The Telegraph: "They should return to fiscal primacy — call it Keynesian, if you wish — and launch an investment blitz on infrastructure that pays for itself through higher growth."

It's a controversial call, particularly as it would almost certainly require governments to take on even greater amounts of debt.

That is a very dismal article. Hopefully digital currency and DNotes can gain traction pretty quickly. A global supplemental digital currency would likely be one of the safest bets in financial turmoil if it can grow to maintain much more liquidity and stability.

I've noticed over the past two years that Bitcoin tends to trend upwards whenever some country is having a financial crisis (at least a crisis that makes headlines). I think it's realistic to believe that the good cryptocurrencies will gain traction when there are economic problems. I would think that some well timed press releases could help that process along considerably Smiley
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 02:05:51 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2016, 02:19:34 AM by IMZ

'I've noticed over the past two years that Bitcoin tends to trend upwards whenever some country is having a financial crisis (at least a crisis that makes headlines). I think it's realistic to believe that the good cryptocurrencies will gain traction when there are economic problems.'

Morning, Wiser. My mob were considered to be crackpots when we first argued -- 2013 -- that It Was All Gonna Be About The Next Financial Crisis:

This came rather later: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoMarkets/comments/242i41/crypto_prices_and_the_global_financial_crisis

China will remain the epi-centre. Articles like this -- http://www.scmp.com/business/banking-finance/article/1551510/how-elude-chinese-foreign-exchange-laws-take-your-pick-ways?page=all -- showed us how interesting Bitcoin would become to the Chinese when they figured it out.

Note bene: we see the Dnotes community as better situated than most others. I don't mean to be critical, but 'parochial' and 'insular' are fair words to describe most crypto communities -- certainly a couple of years ago. Dnotes' commitment to compliance is a hedging of bets: if the primary path turns out to be crypto-primarily-as-payment-method, then Dnotes is set. If things go hyper-pear-shaped, this community's worldly attitudes will (we think) allow it to respond swiftly and appropriately. Niiiiiiice!!

Mark
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 02:55:22 AM

'I've noticed over the past two years that Bitcoin tends to trend upwards whenever some country is having a financial crisis (at least a crisis that makes headlines). I think it's realistic to believe that the good cryptocurrencies will gain traction when there are economic problems.'

Morning, Wiser. My mob were considered to be crackpots when we first argued -- 2013 -- that It Was All Gonna Be About The Next Financial Crisis:

This came rather later: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoMarkets/comments/242i41/crypto_prices_and_the_global_financial_crisis

China will remain the epi-centre. Articles like this -- http://www.scmp.com/business/banking-finance/article/1551510/how-elude-chinese-foreign-exchange-laws-take-your-pick-ways?page=all -- showed us how interesting Bitcoin would become to the Chinese when they figured it out.

Note bene: we see the Dnotes community as better situated than most others. I don't mean to be critical, but 'parochial' and 'insular' are fair words to describe most crypto communities -- certainly a couple of years ago. Dnotes' commitment to compliance is a hedging of bets: if the primary path turns out to be crypto-primarily-as-payment-method, then Dnotes is set. If things go hyper-pear-shaped, this community's worldly attitudes will (we think) allow it to respond swiftly and appropriately. Niiiiiiice!!

Mark

Hah, had I not gotten sidetracked I would have posted that Mark might agree with you. We of course hope it doesn't take a global financial crisis to incite change, but it can certainly be a driving factor if it comes down to that.

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 03:04:13 AM

Mark

Hah, had I not gotten sidetracked I would have posted that Mark might agree with you. We of course hope it doesn't take a global financial crisis to incite change, but it can certainly be a driving factor if it comes down to that.

I certainly don't hope for any financial crisis... but there are indicators pointing to one or more as inevitable... some time. I think DNotes should be prepared to step in and save the day just in case. But yes, let's hope for wider adoption before a major crisis.

On another note, here's a pretty interesting article about the politics of Bitcoin. Kudos to the DNotes team for doing things much better.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-politics-non-political-money/
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 03:30:28 AM

Mark

Mark, as always we appreciate your dedication to keeping us informed on the deteriorating global financial conditions. You have given us plenty of early warning. This community has very broad interest beyond just digital currency. That is one of the reasons why we often see things differently.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:24:00 AM

Mark

I certainly don't hope for any financial crisis... but there are indicators pointing to one or more as inevitable... some time. I think DNotes should be prepared to step in and save the day just in case. But yes, let's hope for wider adoption before a major crisis.

On another note, here's a pretty interesting article about the politics of Bitcoin. Kudos to the DNotes team for doing things much better.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-politics-non-political-money/

The lack of leadership often leads to a chaotic environment that is toxic, unproductive, and very political. Although Mr. Harper pointed out that “open-source software development requires intensive collaboration – particularly around a protocol with strong network effects”, that is not likely to happen.

I do agree with the following statement:

Good behavior is good “politics,” which is something this non-political money needs.”
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 02:16:25 PM

Quote from: indiamikezulu on Today at 05:05:17 AM

Crazy Week Four?

Tee hee . . . I no longer feel so much like tin-foil-hat guy!

Food for Thought: we are experiencing yet another fabulous upheaval of the terrain of Planet Krypto:

Ian and I used the term 'bell jar' to describe the era in which a rise in Bitcoin's price 'simply equalled' a fall in altcoin prices.

Some time later, we declared that we were 'post-bell-jar': yes, there remained an 'hydraulic effect'; but the fabulous inflow of capital in December, 2013, placed us, we felt, 'post-bell-jar.'

Then came The Big Sideways -- 23 months. In that period, we fought for price-independence, coaxing communities to abandon the one-more-exchange/one-more-gambling-site/don't-worry-about-the-rest-of-the-world attitudes of the bell-jar era. We championed 2.0s.* We argued for the organisation of multi-lingual threads -- especially Chinese.

Well, here's today's Shot in The Dark:

the dynamic of 'almost all incoming capital comes in via Bitcoin, then does or does not flow to other cryptos' is over. We are now in the earliest stage of a fantastic fragmentation (driven substantially by GFC Two) in which we'll see capital flowing in through Bitcoin and the 2.0s and 'Chinese' coins** and perhaps other 'national coins' (second round of national coins!).

Simultaneously, within the crypto sphere, we'll see a 'split' between those established cryptos that will attract capital, and boom; and those that won't, which will die.

*Lots to discuss here: being pro-2.0 is not being anti-1.0. We fought/fight for community programs that aggregate all manner of services around a 'basic' coin, which is what we think Ordinary People will find more useful than many 2.0 projects.

**http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/xiaomicoin/#markets

Quote From Shepherd:

Mark, you and Ian are correct that there has been changing dynamics going on in the altcoin world. Speculative momentum has picked noticeably, especially when they are listed on at least one Chinese exchange. A few old favorites are making for a comeback, but there are also newer names that came from no where. “Greed” is back. Eventually, the rough diamonds will be discovered. We are here for the long haul.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 03:09:47 PM

http://dcebrief.com/the-launch-of-payservices-com-has-come/

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 05:00:03 PM

Informative article about payservices. I'm going to seriously look into this.

Here's another interesting one. Calling the research a "study" is a bit of a stretch. I mean, it's barely a pilot study, as they only interviewed 20 people. But the interesting initial finding is that non Bitcoin users feel that they can't use Bitcoin because they don't understand the technical aspects of how it works--feel they need more technical knowledge than they have in order to use it. The truth is you can use Bitcoin without a complete understanding of the underlying technology (or even a completely wrong understanding). This is true for any kind of currency, and I think an important point to get across when the time comes to promote for wide mainstream adoption. Oddly enough, that was the goal of GAW Miners with their "mining platform," hashlets, and later Paycoin. Unfortunately for various reasons that did not work out. But anyway, it's an important point to communicate with the public that technical knowledge, while interesting and helpful in certain circumstances, is not necessary for basic use. It's not too much different with fiat currency. How many of us use fiat everyday and yet do not understand the inner workings of the Federal Reserve? Also, wallets have to work and not require constant updates, downloading of block chains, etc., or the public won't use them. Some altcoins have this problem. As long as there is a full service online alternative, then the techies can play with the QT (or equivalent) wallets as desired.

http://www.coindesk.com/study-misconceptions-bitcoin-ease-use/
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 05:56:53 PM

Here's another interesting one. Calling the research a "study" is a bit of a stretch. I mean, it's barely a pilot study, as they only interviewed 20 people. But the interesting initial finding is that non Bitcoin users feel that they can't use Bitcoin because they don't understand the technical aspects of how it works--feel they need more technical knowledge than they have in order to use it. The truth is you can use Bitcoin without a complete understanding of the underlying technology (or even a completely wrong understanding). This is true for any kind of currency, and I think an important point to get across when the time comes to promote for wide mainstream adoption. Oddly enough, that was the goal of GAW Miners with their "mining platform," hashlets, and later Paycoin. Unfortunately for various reasons that did not work out. But anyway, it's an important point to communicate with the public that technical knowledge, while interesting and helpful in certain circumstances, is not necessary for basic use. It's not too much different with fiat currency. How many of us use fiat everyday and yet do not understand the inner workings of the Federal Reserve? Also, wallets have to work and not require constant updates, downloading of block chains, etc., or the public won't use them. Some altcoins have this problem. As long as there is a full service online alternative, then the techies can play with the QT (or equivalent) wallets as desired.

Interesting study.

initial finding is that non Bitcoin users feel that they can't use Bitcoin because they don't understand the technical aspects of how it works--feel they need more technical knowledge than they have in order to use it.”

We could have told them. Our industry has made Bitcoin and digital currency sounded incredibly complicated. Perception is reality. So to the average consumer, it is very complicated and they don’t understand it. It sounded very intimidating and too hard to warp one’s head around it. This unfortunately, will be the biggest challenge to mass acceptance. Gaining consumers’ trust and confidence is a very difficult and time consuming process. That is what we have set out to do. We are very certain that we are on the right track. This may be a long hard journey but the ultimate reward from mass acceptance is huge.

We have been taking very good notes regarding some of the major technical constraints and problems that need to be solved and we are comfortable that DNotes will be able to make major advances in the future. Good timing is very important to us. It is too early to make a major change while so many issues are still unsettled.

Once again P & D is back in full force. The “wild west” is back; this time with strong connection to the East – China. Almost any coin listed on a Chinese exchange is going through the roof. As Mark has indicated a number of times earlier, it will eventually help out other altcoins. We will patiently wait for our turn.
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 01:26:45 AM

Interesting study.

initial finding is that non Bitcoin users feel that they can't use Bitcoin because they don't understand the technical aspects of how it works--feel they need more technical knowledge than they have in order to use it.”

We could have told them. Our industry has made Bitcoin and digital currency sounded incredibly complicated. Perception is reality. So to the average consumer, it is very complicated and they don’t understand it. It sounded very intimidating and too hard to warp one’s head around it. This unfortunately, will be the biggest challenge to mass acceptance. Gaining consumers’ trust and confidence is a very difficult and time consuming process. That is what we have set out to do. We are very certain that we are on the right track. This may be a long hard journey but the ultimate reward from mass acceptance is huge.

We have been taking very good notes regarding some of the major technical constraints and problems that need to be solved and we are comfortable that DNotes will be able to make major advances in the future. Good timing is very important to us. It is too early to make a major change while so many issues are still unsettled.

Once again P & D is back in full force. The “wild west” is back; this time with strong connection to the East – China. Almost any coin listed on a Chinese exchange is going through the roof. As Mark has indicated a number of times earlier, it will eventually help out other altcoins. We will patiently wait for our turn.

"Almost any coin listed on a Chinese exchange is going through the roof."

They certainly aren't being very fussy in what they choose. It is starting to look like a penny stock bubble of OTC worthless stocks.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 01:37:39 AM

Great story Nick!

I'm not really clear on this - can we purchase DNotes from PayServices?

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 02:30:53 AM

Great story Nick!

I'm not really clear on this - can we purchase DNotes from PayServices?

From what I understand, essentially you will be able to purchase one of their butterfly cards, which comes in the mail initially, and use that balance to exchange for DNotes. It is still in early launch phase. I'm working with their team through the process so I can provide more detail on how it works.

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 05:29:02 AM

From what I understand, essentially you will be able to purchase one of their butterfly cards, which comes in the mail initially, and use that balance to exchange for DNotes. It is still in early launch phase. I'm working with their team through the process so I can provide more detail on how it works.

Glad to know you are working with them. I opened an account and am testing out features. Interface is a bit clunky, and I have some deposits tied up somewhere, which support is trying to figure out. I like the idea, anyway, of being able to keep a bunch of different cryptos in one place (that is not strictly an exchange) and to at some point be able to trade them back and forth, or into fiat. I think it's trying to be a glorified shapeshifter, among other things.
infovortice2013
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 12:03:07 PM

Hi im researching for DNotes pools up to 3.5 ghash ,, donotes pool is always under 200 mhash i found this another http://p2pool.e-pool.net:8923/static/ that say is 500 mhash

no pools for the rest of hash  ??
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 12:21:01 PM

Glad to know you are working with them. I opened an account and am testing out features. Interface is a bit clunky, and I have some deposits tied up somewhere, which support is trying to figure out. I like the idea, anyway, of being able to keep a bunch of different cryptos in one place (that is not strictly an exchange) and to at some point be able to trade them back and forth, or into fiat. I think it's trying to be a glorified shapeshifter, among other things.

Thanks for checking them out. We are working with them in limited capacity. They have a big bold idea and like any big idea it takes a great deal of positioning and execution of multiple strategies. It will take them some time to become a significant force. We could be more involved later. At his point finishing my book to the point of being ready for editing is my highest priority. I am getting very close.
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 02:01:43 PM

This is a really good article, but quite lengthy. It covers the technology adoption lifecycle and the author believes we may cross from early adopters (visionaries) to early majority (follow the herd) starting in 2016.

How Will Bitcoin Technology Go Mainstream? An Analysis Of 5 Strategies

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashin/2016/01/26/how-will-bitcoin-technology-go-mainstream-an-analysis-of-5-strategies/

RJF19

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 02:19:59 PM

Hey everyone,

RJF here. Tried to change my password on the "RJF" account and got locked out. No response from requests to unlock the "Hero" account so I guess i'm a newbie again. Really sucks. It's stuff like this that makes folks loose interest in these forums.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 03:57:52 PM

Hey everyone,

RJF here. Tried to change my password on the "RJF" account and got locked out. No response from requests to unlock the "Hero" account so I guess i'm a newbie again. Really sucks. It's stuff like this that makes folks loose interest in these forums.

Sorry to hear RJF, I hope they eventually respond for you.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 04:11:59 PM

http://dcebrief.com/eu-governance-takes-an-official-stance-on-digital-currencies/

Pages: « 1 ... 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 [445] 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: