Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:52:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 06:43:09 PM

I am guilty of being attracted to the article at first because of its title, but it definitely has some good points.

CITI: The technology banks are going wild for could turn them into 'dumb pipes'

http://www.businessinsider.com/citi-blockchain-technology-could-turn-banks-to-dumb-pipes-2016-1

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Bergman

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:32:04 PM

I am guilty of being attracted to the article at first because of its title, but it definitely has some good points.

http://www.businessinsider.com/citi-blockchain-technology-could-turn-banks-to-dumb-pipes-2016-1

Competition for the banks will ultimately be a good thing. I tend to believe it is in the banks best interest to be involved in fintech.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 11:17:53 PM

Competition for the banks will ultimately be a good thing. I tend to believe it is in the banks best interest to be involved in fintech.

Great article!

But Citi's third argument is that "banks benefit from a relatively strong track record of safekeeping assets, and therefore have earned a certain amount of trust and credibility." Given that banks are still fessing up to billion-pound fines almost weekly, the words "trust" and "credibility" are probably not the first you'd associate with large banks these days.

That was my first thought when I read that statement, they treat these fines as just part of the cost of doing business, instead of following the rules.

IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 03:43:31 AM

https://safecex.com/market?q=NOTE/BTC
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 04:31:31 AM

Wow, looks like they just added us.

Fairly popular exchange in the Philippines. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/safecex.com#trafficstats

Were we on a voting list or something or did they just add us?

Edit: Looks like they do have a voting list. One vote per account style.

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 10:38:52 AM

Wow, looks like they just added us.

Fairly popular exchange in the Philippines. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/safecex.com#trafficstats

Were we on a voting list or something or did they just add us?

Edit: Looks like they do have a voting list. One vote per account style.

Looks like DNotes is already listed. Just waiting for someone to support it.
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 01:34:35 PM

Our industry will continue to bear the growing pain of setbacks as the technologies continue to evolve and advance. Those who lack the clear vision of true entrepreneurs will bear the bulk of the pain.

Successful entrepreneurs do not see setbacks as failures. They see setbacks as short-term problems needing solutions that can help them get back on track to their visions destination. People like Elon Musk and Bill Gates thrive on challenges, and never feel defeated for long. Every breakthrough solution to a problem gives them inspiration. It entrenches further their belief that their vision will be realized. Unforeseen problems and lost battles are not considered failures to such an individual. Where some people see failure, the budding entrepreneur will instead see a learned lesson that will help them to harness and create future success.

Learned lessons are not free. The successful entrepreneur does not fail; the successful entrepreneur merely defers success until more time has passed.” - Alan Yong, February 2016
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 03:01:28 PM

Blockchain Weekly Recap 2-6-2016

UNICEF Innovation Fund to Invest in Blockchain Startups.
Equibit Secures $150,000 Closing Its Angel Funding Round.
Digital Asset Holdings Exceeds $60 Million in Funding Round.
Blockstream Series A Funding Hits $55 Million.
JPMorgan Chase Launches Blockchain Project Trial.
Identity Management Firm Cambridge Blockchain Wins Santander Competition Top Prize.

http://dcebrief.com/blockchain-weekly-recap-2-6-2016/

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 04:50:57 PM

A fair bit of this article is similar to what we have read in many other articles but there was one part of it that caught my attention. Perhaps cryptocurrency's 'concept of divisibility' needs an education push??

Why Bitcoin Looked Much More Grown Up This week

"The concept of divisibility was so alien that many people couldn’t grasp the idea despite its basic simplicity. Instead of issuing more coins as the global economy grew, the idea was, why not simply use smaller and smaller fractions of the existing coins? That solved the issue presented by growth while increasing the value of the existing currency of savers."

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-bitcoin-looked-much-more-grown-up-this-week-cm574995#ixzz3zPIA5I6V

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 05:51:58 PM

A fair bit of this article is similar to what we have read in many other articles but there was one part of it that caught my attention. Perhaps cryptocurrency's 'concept of divisibility' needs an education push??

"The concept of divisibility was so alien that many people couldn’t grasp the idea despite its basic simplicity. Instead of issuing more coins as the global economy grew, the idea was, why not simply use smaller and smaller fractions of the existing coins? That solved the issue presented by growth while increasing the value of the existing currency of savers."

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-bitcoin-looked-much-more-grown-up-this-week-cm574995#ixzz3zPIA5I6V

I think that's a good idea Chase. The whole concept of money as we know it will change as cryptocurrency becomes more and more widespread. The world simply isn't used to decimals beyond the hundredth, never mind hundred millionths. Moving the decimal point and renaming the unit seems like a good idea, for example DNotes price is 1247 satoshi, but I don't know where it will settle. We can certainly lay out the methodology behind it though.

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:58:43 PM

I think that's a good idea Chase. The whole concept of money as we know it will change as cryptocurrency becomes more and more widespread. The world simply isn't used to decimals beyond the hundredth, never mind hundred millionths. Moving the decimal point and renaming the unit seems like a good idea, for example DNotes price is 1247 satoshi, but I don't know where it will settle. We can certainly lay out the methodology behind it though.

I adjusted really fast to 8th place decimals, but maybe I'm just weird. For whatever reason, though, I can only deal with units of Bitcoin (with all the decimals) or satoshi. But mBTC or uBTC I have to really think about. That's so far the only thing I don't like about PayServices--is that they insist on converting all values to u(whatever the coin) is. I really do wish they'd just stick with units, or at least give us the choice for how our currencies are displayed.
kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 07:09:02 PM

I adjusted really fast to 8th place decimals, but maybe I'm just weird. For whatever reason, though, I can only deal with units of Bitcoin (with all the decimals) or satoshi. But mBTC or uBTC I have to really think about. That's so far the only thing I don't like about PayServices--is that they insist on converting all values to u(whatever the coin) is. I really do wish they'd just stick with units, or at least give us the choice for how our currencies are displayed.

I'm with you, 8th decimals isn't bad to adapt to. Though it bothers me when the trailing 0's is missing, then I have to actually count each character behind the decimal. When I quickly glance I wants to see all 8 positions. Either that or work without any decimal at all, but then we have to talk about very large numbers, until it actually reaches whole bitcoin numbers.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 07:39:55 PM

I'm with you, 8th decimals isn't bad to adapt to. Though it bothers me when the trailing 0's is missing, then I have to actually count each character behind the decimal. When I quickly glance I wants to see all 8 positions. Either that or work without any decimal at all, but then we have to talk about very large numbers, until it actually reaches whole bitcoin numbers.

Yes, those trailing zeroes are necessary, for position. So if you have 15000 satoshis, I want to see 0.00015000 BTC.
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 01:08:13 AM

"Moving the decimal point and renaming the unit seems like a good idea, for example DNotes price is 1247 satoshi, but I don't know where it will settle." I guess we would have to wait a while to see where it settles, and when the time is right, it may be easier for people to start wrapping their head around it if it followed a metric prefix (or something similar?).

A lot of people may struggle with the 8th decimal place in currency because they are not used to it, but even more will be wondering why we even need it. If they could comprehend the fact that dividing existing currency into smaller units as needed instead of the government printing off currency on a  whim, would protect their wealth, they may come to realize that this is a really good thing.

Is it a fair assumption to say that everyone in cryptocurrency is probably good at math, so decimals are not an issue here?  Wink

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 02:06:33 AM

"Moving the decimal point and renaming the unit seems like a good idea, for example DNotes price is 1247 satoshi, but I don't know where it will settle." I guess we would have to wait a while to see where it settles, and when the time is right, it may be easier for people to start wrapping their head around it if it followed a metric prefix (or something similar?).

A lot of people may struggle with the 8th decimal place in currency because they are not used to it, but even more will be wondering why we even need it. If they could comprehend the fact that dividing existing currency into smaller units as needed instead of the government printing off currency on a  whim, would protect their wealth, they may come to realize that this is a really good thing.

Is it a fair assumption to say that everyone in cryptocurrency is probably good at math, so decimals are not an issue here?  Wink

Lol, that is probably true, and here people have a vested interest in learning and adapting to it. Either way, it will make a great topic to cover, and has the potential to relieve some of the fear of cryptocurrency.

IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 05:08:36 AM

Alt-cap-to-Btc-cap ratio has snuck over 13%
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 02:50:57 PM

Digital Currency Weekly Recap 2-7-2016

UN’s ECLAC Recommends Caribbean Pursue Cryptocurrency Innovation.
Factom Partners with China for Smart City Project.
Survey Shows BTM Users Reluctance to Offer Altcoins in ATMs.
Major Japanese Bank Unveils Its Own Cryptocurrency.

http://dcebrief.com/digital-currency-weekly-recap-2-7-2016/

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 03:42:12 PM

Great recap Ken!

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 04:35:09 PM

Great recap Ken!

I agree, this was a bit disappointing:
Coin Telegraph recently published an article providing some insight into the results of a survey they conducted with Blockchain ATM owners to assess their opinions about offering altcoins to their customers. While there was some support for offering currencies other than Bitcoin if customers demanded it, most of the respondents asserted that no such demand had yet materialized.

It may not have been a large amount of support, but I'm sure that will grow.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 05:54:36 PM

Some limited features available, namely using purchase by percentage of available bitcoin. Download
This would be a limited feature Alpha release, so very limited testing has been done. What is the risk?
As long as this is run on a separate PoloniEx account, with limited funds in it, and you do not set the API keys to allow withdrawing (by default withdrawing is disabled), then the risk is probably limited to over purchasing DNotes if the application misbehaves. I don't see that happening, but you never know.

How do I set it up?
-Register a brand new PoloniEx account.
-Once logged into your new PoloniEx account, click the wrench in the upper right hand corner and select API keys.
-Create New API key.
-Download and unzip the Accumulator.zip file to a folder.
-Open Accumulator.exe and enter your API key and Secret, then click save API keys.
-Deposit whatever amount of BTC into your new PoloniEx account that you are looking to purchase DNotes with.
-Wait for the BTC to confirm. Then you can adjust your bot settings and click the Start Bot button.

Some notes:
The application breaks the purchases into hourly amounts. If the bot already purchased too much, it will wait an hour before re-calculating.
Time is set to UTC time, to match PoloniEx.
It does require DotNet 4.5 or higher. If it doesn't work, you will likely need to update DotNet.
I won't be providing Mac or Linux versions in the near future, if there is a demand at a later point, we will definitely consider creating them or offloading to a trading bot developer.
I am releasing this with limited functionality to give the community an opportunity see how it works and comment.

The backstop function is now enabled, you can Download it here.

It will function as just a backstop bot if you uncheck the Purchase using percentage option. Otherwise it will do both.

Pages: « 1 ... 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: