Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:09:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AIRcoin  (Read 137218 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:23:41 PM

too low sry
tic-tac-totoro

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:59:22 PM

Sorry for the issues lately ith AIR.pitythepool.com

The AIR pool has been under intense DDOS attacks for over a week now, 6-12 hours per day.  They have been targeting the AIR pool specifically.  Yesterday it was finally large enough I had to have the firewall reject all requests to that host to conserve server resources.

I will bring the pool back online later today.  Everyone's coins are safe and cron jobs are still running, so if you had auto-payouts enabled you should have already received your coins.

Sorry again for the all the trouble.

Still not up for me....
andyatcrux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 01:59:13 AM

People, we really need to ask ourselves; is a coin with a cap of 1,000,000,000 going to be released and be worth 0.00115 off the spot?
That would put the market cap at 1,150,000 BTC.... thats $759,000,000

ON DAY ONE!

Reeeaaaallly?

A coin with:
  • No new features
  • No accountability (identification, recourse)
  • No valid use except as a speculative asset

Come on people, lets be realistic here. A few satoshi's sure, but .00115 BTC/AIR?

Interesting Point... the market-cap that results out of this parameters will produce a decent buzz ... also if I don't believe, that this will keep people from accepting the given price, if the developers manage to keep it stable at this rate. At least there is no single entity that could dump other than the devs themselves.

Look at AUR, it didn't keep people from buying even though everybody knew (or maybe not everybody Tongue) what is going to happen and that the marketcap is artificially distorted. Do I trust 200.000 Icelanders more than a dev team :-)?  

The "no new features" point could be debated - also if it's right that "stable rising market price" isn't a feature of the coin itself but a feature of the endeavour as a whole.

Regards

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't referring to the "marketcap" of this coin as "1 billion coins" incorrect? Marketcap should be the total dollar value of the current supply not the total potential supply. If all 1 billion coins were out right now the marketcap isn't 1,000,000,000 coins it would be the cost of all of them. But that is a moot point because there is nowhere near this amount in existence and or will there be when they go to the exchanges. I think there is about 2.6 million right now, with only about 100,000 mined and the rest premine. Marketcap would be around 2 million dollars.
Bambouca

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:17:31 AM

Wanna sell 1 Air just write me a Massage with your offer Smiley

How much do you want ? Cheesy hehe I don`t know if I have enought

0.00115 in that Range
Mortimer452

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:15:27 AM

AIR.pitythepool.com is back online

Sorry again for the problems, everyone.  Hopefully the DDOS pricks will stay off it for awhile Smiley
bvault

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:40:31 AM

People, we really need to ask ourselves; is a coin with a cap of 1,000,000,000 going to be released and be worth 0.00115 off the spot?

ON DAY ONE!

Reeeaaaallly?

A coin with:
  • No new features

Come on people, lets be realistic here. A few satoshi's sure, but .00115 BTC/AIR?

Interesting Point... the market-cap that results out of this parameters will produce a decent buzz ... also if I don't believe, that this will keep people from accepting the given price, if the developers manage to keep it stable at this rate. At least there is no single entity that could dump other than the devs themselves.

Look at AUR, it didn't keep people from buying even though everybody knew (or maybe not everybody Tongue) what is going to happen and that the marketcap is artificially distorted. Do I trust 200.000 Icelanders more than a dev team :-)?  

The "no new features" point could be debated - also if it's right that "stable rising market price" isn't a feature of the coin itself but a feature of the endeavour as a whole.

Regards

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't referring to the "marketcap" of this coin as "1 billion coins" incorrect? Marketcap should be the total dollar value of the current supply not the total potential supply. If all 1 billion coins were out right now the marketcap isn't 1,000,000,000 coins it would be the cost of all of them. But that is a moot point because there is nowhere near this amount in existence and or will there be when they go to the exchanges. I think there is about 2.6 million right now, with only about 100,000 mined and the rest premine. Marketcap would be around 2 million dollars.

+1

---------------
BTC - 13WkfueYZzx7d9VLXgkf9TtDBPhUVHizCh
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 07:21:18 AM

ON DAY ONE!

Reeeaaaallly?

A coin with:
  • No new features

Regards

Hey you're right, I was tired and didn't think it through there for a second. Marketcap @ 2 million is reasonable, the premine though (even with the intended purpose of facilitating trading) is excessive. It will definitely allow them to manipulate the market as they said they will do - they control  96% of it right now and that control will go down by only about 3% a month at the current rate. Which means that after a year they still control around 62% of all Aircoins in existence (provided that they don't make gains by trading). Don't even know what to think about it anymore, just seems weird.

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
AIRcoin (OP)

Activity: 70

AIRcoin Alexander

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 07:55:18 AM

The following post is from Alexander, specifically, and as such is a more personal response to the issues brought up in the last few pages.

In my whitepaper, I outlined some specific problems with the Cryptocoin community. These problems were the origin of the crude pump and dump schemes, lack of financial innovation, frequency of scams, and complete absence of professionalism in the Cryptocoin world. The qualities that propagate these problems were closely tied to a lack of financial literacy. A good example of this was in our response to a legitimate (if inflammatory) set of concerns on page 20. However, much to our surprise, 8 pages later, from the same users, we have been sent a significantly less-informed response, which seems to ignore the explanations previously, that repeats the same concerns but with more intensity. In essence, this is not how support works. We address concerns with the coin, and if they disagree, it is the pejorative of the poster to move on from our coin or to change their opinion, something that the poster already did, claiming to even want to support our coin! For the next 8 pages, the world was a happy place, but it was not to last, as the following was posted by this same user:

I also find it alarming that we are trusting the developers with $1,897,500 dollars worth of BTC if people believe their projections.
Opening exchange rates are expected at .00115 BTC/AIR, based off of current regression to the mean trends of .00002000 bitcoin-equivalent-per-kilohash-per-day, assuming a moderate difficulty (2 to 20) before entering an exchange. A higher launch difficulty will result in a higher exchange rate to return to the competitive mean.
This means nothing by the way. Whats their incentive to keep going? Why not just sell all the coins and retire to the bahamas?

ON DAY ONE!

Reeeaaaallly?

A coin with:
  • No new features

Which was a very quick slippery slope into the following post, replied by the same user after his concerns were not immediately reciprocated:

If you believe  the premine  " is exclusively for an investment pool that will day trade the coin ..." then this coin may be the best investment in recent cryptocoins, with the potential to grow in value better than others, as long as the DEV´s keep doing their job.

If you believe the DEV's will dump their 2,500,000 coins at the best opportunity, then it will be just like almost any other coin out there, and I have lost nothing other than a little bit of my time.

I choose to believe the first option, as the DEV seems to be enlightened and intelligent enough see that long term rewards are better than the short term option, however I might be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time to happen.  Cool

Hoping for the best....but prepared for the worst!

I don't really doubt that they will follow through on their promise at least initially.
But when and if that fund grows to $10,000,000 then what?
When we start getting in to that kind of money, things like morals and ethics have no place.
This is blind trust. In fact this is less than blind trust because for 50,000 years we know humans have been humans and will continue to be humans. This is trusting that just this once, humans will not be human.

Yes, this is the time guys.

You will have "lost nothing" but allowed someone to gain everything through untruthful means and profit off of your apathy. You will have supported a great fruitless endeavor. Don't demand accountability, because that would be hard. Who wants to make the world a better place anyway.

We KNOW scammers are gonna scam, but lets just trust them not to because they promised us
 Roll Eyes

On any other coin thread, this post would not look out of place. But given the heightened level of discussion on this thread, the professionalism in questions and responses, and the very honest and clear actions of both the users and the development team, there is no excuse for ignorance. We expect our users to learn from the questions and answers we provide, and at the very least, to then move past our coin and not impede on the abilities of others to use it. What we have here is a regression, despite our best efforts.

While it would be appropriate to deal with the (almost artful) amount of incorrect, unlikely, and inaccurate claims nad statements made in those series of posts, we have allowed it to propagate on the thread to gauge our users's responses. Which, generally, are extremely favorable. Issues with the false measurement of "market capitalization" and the claims against the price were pointed out immediately.

Therefore, much of our response would simply be quoting previous responses. However, we took a different approach, and waited to see if our users would notice the weaknesses of the post. From the following quotes, it’s clear that they did:

Which means that our development team was genuinely impressed with the user’s responses,
1.   It has shown a remarkable awareness of the situation the cryptocoin community faces, and makes us proud that the adopters of our coin at this stage are cognizant of the difference between inflammatory comments and meaningful criticism.
2.   It demonstrates that, on general, those who have decided to support this currency are able to have rational discussion over emotional responses.

It is entirely possible that the intent behind that post was to prompt a drop in the price, by instituting fear in one of the AIRcoin users, in hopes to a quick return. To this, we return to the Whitepaper:

Every miner, every trader, every developer, every speculator and every investor who ever once decided that Cryptocurrencies might have even the smallest chance at independent success, if they sit idle and watch the next few months go by, is conceding their financial future to the same system that has ruled for over a century. The very system that Bitcoin was created to defy.

But this isn't a problem with just one user. This is a problem with the entire community, and the general lack of financial experience within it. This necessitated an entire section in the whitepaper to explain, and even that explanation is barely adequate to explain the severity of emotion-driven irrational actions in this market, and the damaging effect it has on a coin's survival. It is the root of economic failures in these cryptocoins, a developer team cannot even begin to consider skills it takes to make a coin thrive if they cannot rationally maintain order, intelligence, and most of all, constant improvement among their user base.

AIRcoin is not just an improvement to code, economics, or concept of cryptocurrencies: we aim to improve the knowledge and discussion around the coins. That is very clearly outlined in our declarations of intent. Memes, loud words, weak speech, and a lack of financial knowledge will not work here. In this thread, in this world, if you want to try to make claims against our coin, you need to come prepared.
It is our opinion, that of the AIRcoin team, that the intent of that post was not to offer reasonable criticism (that occurred in the earlier post) but to attempt to scare an owner of AIRcoin into selling at a very low price.

Now, our direct response to the post in question:

Claiming that more and more secure hashing algorithm would make the coin more economically viable is like claiming the US government would improve the dollar’s exchange rate by making it more difficult to counterfeit. The assumption is extremely weak compared to much larger market movements (inflation) that the cryptocurrency community largely ignores. There are many benefits to an extremely complicated hashing equation, but those benefits are past the marginal return for innovation in this community, and compared to the complete lack of economic innovation.  

Does this mean that we won’t experiment with the possibility? Of course not, we will definitely engage in emerging advances to the code. But for this week, this period and second in time, and this coin, we think that our energy is best spent providing the best business, interest, and service around the coin that is possible and reliable, and experimentation can happen once sufficient improvement to the market and community has happened.

•   No new features

We’ve released plenty of information about the things this coin does that no other coin has even attempted, much less been successful at. If the sole feature a user cares about is the mining statistics (which are one very small part of what makes a currency economically viable) then they will be blinded to the real innovations behind this coin. This is addressed as a problem with the community in our whitepaper.

•   No accountability (identification, recourse)

What we are doing is likely to upset the old regime of scams. We use anonymous names to protect ourselves, but our accountability can be found in the exchange rate and block explorer, where any user can watch the market movements and wallet movements to keep us in check.

Additionally, the word "recourse" is not properly used here. Webster defines it as: "an opportunity or choice to use or do something in order to deal with a problem or situation" If the problem is a failure of our development team to maintain this coin, you are left with the same options that users of almost any other coin (easily 90% of hte existing coins, maybe more) to do with your coins. That is, by definition, your recourse. Additionally, you could offer to provide the same services we failed at, if you are capable of it.
•   No valid use except as a speculative asset

All currency is purely a speculative asset, including Bitcoin and Litecoin. Value comes from the expectation it will be exchangeable (and expectation of the costs of that exchange) in the future, which is speculation. Since AIRcoin doesn’t have any transaction fees, it’s likely that it would have even more valid use than most other coins, since it would have a baseline expected return equal to or greater than 0, since there is not guaranteed loss through transfer.

So this, as well, is not correct.

Anyone who mined AIRcoin and wishes to sell below ~.00115 BTC/AIR (or higher depending on the difficulty when they mined the coins) is going to take a loss compared to mining any other coin. So if you do believe that coins will be sold at those prices (remember, the price is determined by what people will buy and sell at and nothing else) then you have basically told every miner of our coin that they are wasting their time and energy. I think they, as well as our team, would strongly disagree with that. This same relationship between ease of mining and per-coin exchange rate is a very STRONG assumption, and can be observed on both ends of the spectrum with 42Coin and Dogecoin.

So only having few satoshi’s of worth isn’t incorrect as much as it is certainly extremely unlikely, and those who would have to act to cause such a thing to happen have strong incentive not to do so.

I don't really doubt that they will follow through on their promise at least initially.

With the business minds we have, we can generate $10,000,000 of capital through they booming Venture Capitalist market. Anything over $1,000,000 seems a lot to the normal person, but in the financial world, it's not a fortune: it's the price of entry.

To quote the Whitepaper again,

The reflection is awful, and in this point of view, how trifling, how ridiculous, do the little paltry cavilings of a few weak or interested men appear, when weighed against the business of a world.

Unfortunately, the post descends quickly after this:

This is blind trust. In fact this is less than blind trust because for 50,000 years we know humans have been humans and will continue to be humans. This is trusting that just this once, humans will not be human.

Claiming what is “human” nature and not “human” nature is absolutely absurd when it comes to finance, which is wholly an unnaturally phenomena. I am certain they said the same thing when the first Banks, the First Corporations, the First governments, the First Books, the First Businessmen, the First Tribes, and the First Religions were created. “We can’t trust humans to do anything other than sleep, eat, and procreate until they die! That’s all they can be certain of doing in the last 50,000 years!” It is at this point where the post forgets all reason.

Pump and dump scams are easy, have little profit, and will only speed up the process before this entire market is closed down by regulation. The real profit is in maintaining the strongest internally supported coin, until that coin become an exception to the regulatory position. This would both prolong the period of deregulation and improve the entire community’s status in comparison to the rest of the far more organized financial world.

This doesn’t warrant a real response, but I hope that in retrospect, it becomes clear that it doesn’t, in any way, improve the criticism of the post.

So we wish to make a statement to our users and their concerns: We will respond. We will discuss it, and if you bring up good points, our development team will learn from it. But if you do not advance from our response, and you return with an even less informed response, we will note it and we will act on it as well. If your concerns are already addressed professionally and reasonably, either support it or leave it. You do the community no good if your further posts are less helpful than your earlier ones, and there are currencies that do, indeed, need your criticism far more. We want to provide as much help and service as we possibly can.

- Alexander

Some quick responses to other questions or comments:

hope this manages to get on an exchange soon. Need more hash

If this is listed on an exchange with a trading API multipools will rape it.
This coin has no protection from multipools.
It is going to be very hard for the devs to follow through with their plan if there is a constant downward pressure on the price.

We need better KGW implementation, some algoritm similar to what DarkCoin has - controlled by Moore's law, extremely efficient, effectively will rule multis out.

AGREE 100%

We are looking into altering the KGW implementation for the next wallet version, and as stated before, upon the stability of AIRcoin and the proof of its ability to function as intended in this market, we will begin experimenting with new hashing formulas through secondary coins. We wish to innovate combat against the negative effects of multipools through market-oriented systems, rather than mining-oriented ones, but we will approach the issue from both sides.

I have no trouble agreeing with you X, when money  pile up, ethics usually start to go down. True.... but not always.

What is your solution then? How are we going to reward the DEV Team? or to you think that creating and supporting something should not be rewarded? Don't get me wrong  TheMightyX, I understand your concerns and  share them, but what would be a better solution?

No matter what, you always need to trust at a point, trust that the doctor will not forget a pair of scissors inside your belly, trust that your wife doesn´t fool around with some other guy (or girl), trust that your kid is not smoking something funny, you name it.

This is no different, and if the DEV's make a pile of money, as long as i make some too, i´m happy. After all it was their idea, their initiative, their work... i´m just following along.

I don't think that a dumping-out option at some future point is the intended mean of reward for the dev team  Roll Eyes - on the other hand It's clear that they will reward themselves for the work done.

@teamaircoin: How do you reward yourself for the work done? Is there some kind of salary? Do you intend to use the pre mined funds for this? Sorry if this maybe is covered somewhere in whitepaper or somewhere in this thread and I'm not aware at the moment...

This is actually a very good question, and is not covered explicitly in the whitepaper. The development team is paid a salary, and income is generated through market-making (buying low, selling high on our own coin to help speed up sales and close market spreads, allowing a higher trading volume) and through % gains over our quotas for the investing pool. This is how we use the premine to make money, but do not sell the premine. It's the most economically stable way to pay our team, but of course requires experience and knowledge of finance that isn't readily accessible to most people.

You're missing the part where the number of initial coins needs to be 1 billion so that their 0.25% premine seems small when actually it is more coins than will be mined during the first 2.5 years of mining.

It has been explained before, in many posts, but to summarize: a smaller premine (and/or faster coin dispersal rate) would kill this coin. It would require such incredibly high trading returns on our tend that the exchange rate would continually fall against efforts. It requires that we have strong leverage to be able to provide the market services that make this coin effective.

If you would prefer a coin that doesn't have any premine, but also doesn't provide any liquidity services, market making, re-investment, or stabilization against pumps and dumps, there are many, many coins like that already, and they are out there for you. The more coins that are created like that however, the more damage the community will suffer long-term.

hope this manages to get on an exchange soon. Need more hash

If this is listed on an exchange with a trading API multipools will rape it.
This coin has no protection from multipools.
It is going to be very hard for the devs to follow through with their plan if there is a constant downward pressure on the price.

We need better KGW implementation, some algoritm similar to what DarkCoin has - controlled by Moore's law, extremely efficient, effectively will rule multis out.

I'm also not sure if the KGW implementataion at this point reacts "quick" enough if a multipool jumps of the ship. Will leave the miners stuck the heights of long block times for days. The Hashrate going down from ~300 to >200, the difficulty took more than one day to readjust, not even clear if this adjustment is finished already. But I think things like that can be readjusted later on also.

On the other hand maybe this is just my subjective conception, this graph tells something different, doesn't it?:

Also what Darkcoin does is an adjustment of the block reward, KGW is on the difficulty, correct me if wrong. And btw - It's not this "moores law thing" what is keeping the multis away at this time but the hashing-algorithm used, right? Aircoin will have other means of adjusting the block reward and this will not be fixed like in darkcoin but can be adjusted on purpose by teamaircoin - correct me if wrong again.

This is a very accurate summary of our views of the situation, and we're working quickly to get our own block reward adjustment algorithms in place. Multipools do not post as much of a threat as ASICs do, in our eyes, but improving both the reward and the adjustment algorithm is an ongoing process.

You know I didn't even consider this until you brought it up. That would put it right at the #2 spot on coinmarketcap. This premine is enormous. The worst are the people who PMd me when I was trying to buy some AIRcoin at first , quoting prices of 0.002 BTC/ AIR ... Unbelievable.

If AIRcoin launched at our current expected rates, the market capitalization would be $1,765,060, or #26 on Coinmarketcap. As pointed out in the first half of this point, TheMightyX is very wrong on the definition and assumptions of what market capitalization means.

Hey you're right, I was tired and didn't think it through there for a second. Marketcap @ 2 million is reasonable, the premine though (even with the intended purpose of facilitating trading) is excessive. It will definitely allow them to manipulate the market as they said they will do - they control  96% of it right now and that control will go down by only about 3% a month at the current rate. Which means that after a year they still control around 62% of all Aircoins in existence (provided that they don't make gains by trading). Don't even know what to think about it anymore, just seems weird.

Since the premine amount is used to manage pump and dump expenditures, it is effectively a mechanism to distribute coins into the market without lowering the exchange rate (or to purchase them back at a higher exchange rate). If we chose a smaller premine, we would have to concede a lower (and decreasing) exchange rate in return. We found this to be unacceptable for an economically viable coin.

However, the entire premine amount will be documented, and is currently available to view in the block explorer. Gains on trading will be released on a regular basis along with data about how the coins have been invested, it is our intention that the more transparency we have on the issue, the greater support (and accountability) we will have from our users.
Moebius327

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 08:55:56 AM

Can you elaborate on your price regulation plans? Are you planning to invest some bitcoins in the regulation pool as well?
Shadow_Runner

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 11:38:34 AM

WTS 500 AIR, PM me offers.
tic-tac-totoro

Activity: 287

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:03:44 PM

WTS 500 AIR, PM me offers.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499954.0;all
Turpomann

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 05:29:05 PM

http://air.okaypool.com/

Please note: a 0.1 AIR transaction will apply when processing "On-Demand" manual payments.

Why so much?  Huh Aircoin does not have transaction fees.

I apologize my rally english. | (COMM) CVHe5HzG61dq7yULUKss9xzYzWzJnenFBN
Sprite160

Activity: 281

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 06:12:53 PM

http://air.okaypool.com/

Please note: a 0.1 AIR transaction will apply when processing "On-Demand" manual payments.

Why so much?  Huh Aircoin does not have transaction fees.

This was mentioned (by myself), earlier. Since there are no transaction fees associated with AIRcoin, the transaction fees charged by a pool, are fees kept by the pool operator in addition to your % fees on the coins mined. Whether or not you choose to pay these fees is basically going to come down to the pool you choose to mine in; just one more criteria to consider when choosing a pool.

My apologies to other pool operators, but, when the Specifications of the coin state "No Transaction Fees", we need everyone to be aware that these are not fees charged by the network (AIRcoin), to make sure there is no ambiguity or reason for people to doubt the devs' description of the coin.
 I realized this mistake with the default MPOS installation very early on. I actually discovered it and refunded the one miner who had withdrawn funds the .1 AIR, and penalized myself for missing it and paid him an additional .1 AIR. I then made sure I fixed the issue by setting "Transaction fees" to zero.

scottlilo

Activity: 101

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 07:59:19 PM

Hi guys! Long time lurker here, been through about 15 coin launches now and decided to create an account merely for the AIRcoin thread.

Really excited to see how this turns out. Nearly every launch i've been a part of has resulted in a near immediate pump and dump, Alexander's strategy in dealing with such circumstances seems overall pristine so far.

Alexander's strategy of keeping a majority of coins controlled by the DEV team is an outstanding one. It is probably the only way to near-guarentee a smooth launch free of market manipulation ( except the benficial manipulation by Alexander and Team ).

This has caused a few readers to bring trust into question... I won't quote anyone directly, but did any of you even read the white paper?
Are you seriously mining coins that you actually haven't put much legitimate thought into? The distasteful responses to this thread are beginnning to seem pre-meditated.

The white paper clearly outlines all steps of development, and in which, Alexander made absolutely no secret of the 0.25% premine. How else was his team supposed to control the market?

Yes, the premine is huge for the initial roll out period, THIS IS NECCESSARY FOR STABLE GROWTH UNTIL THE COIN IS MATURE.

the coin has proven extremely innovative with a lot of firsts, I'll be mining this for a while.

Strongly encourage anyone who has neglected to read the White Paper to read it. I'm sure Alexander worked extremely hard on it, and it shows.

Looking forward to growing a strong community as network hash rate begins to increase from the ridiculously low rate it is at now!

Poloniex Moderator
Sprite160

Activity: 281

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 11:31:42 PM

Bump

TheMightyX

Activity: 350

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:30:49 AM

Posting in bold to differentiate my posts

Wall of text

Now, our direct response to the post in question:

Claiming that more and more secure hashing algorithm would make the coin more economically viable is like claiming the US government would improve the dollar’s exchange rate by making it more difficult to counterfeit. The assumption is extremely weak compared to much larger market movements (inflation) that the cryptocurrency community largely ignores. There are many benefits to an extremely complicated hashing equation, but those benefits are past the marginal return for innovation in this community, and compared to the complete lack of economic innovation.  

Does this mean that we won’t experiment with the possibility? Of course not, we will definitely engage in emerging advances to the code. But for this week, this period and second in time, and this coin, we think that our energy is best spent providing the best business, interest, and service around the coin that is possible and reliable, and experimentation can happen once sufficient improvement to the market and community has happened.

•   No new features

We’ve released plenty of information about the things this coin does that no other coin has even attempted, much less been successful at. If the sole feature a user cares about is the mining statistics (which are one very small part of what makes a currency economically viable) then they will be blinded to the real innovations behind this coin. This is addressed as a problem with the community in our whitepaper.

Having new features does not mean continually increasing the security of the algorithm. It can mean adding new features that increase the usability and longevity of a coin. If your one defining feature is "hey the price will keep going up!" how will you really compete with counterparty or etherium?
The purpose of cryptocurrency is not just to make money, all though that may come as a shock to you. The ultimate purpose of cryptocurrencies is to be used as a currency. If your coin is not competing in this regard it has no long term potential, only short term gains.

•   No accountability (identification, recourse)

What we are doing is likely to upset the old regime of scams. We use anonymous names to protect ourselves, but our accountability can be found in the exchange rate and block explorer, where any user can watch the market movements and wallet movements to keep us in check.

Additionally, the word "recourse" is not properly used here. Webster defines it as: "an opportunity or choice to use or do something in order to deal with a problem or situation" If the problem is a failure of our development team to maintain this coin, you are left with the same options that users of almost any other coin (easily 90% of hte existing coins, maybe more) to do with your coins. That is, by definition, your recourse. Additionally, you could offer to provide the same services we failed at, if you are capable of it.

The word "recourse" was used correctly in the sense that if you were to run off with (dump) the investment fund at your convenience we would have no recourse. You would potentially destroy the coin and everyones time and money invested would become worthless.
I find this line shocking and eye opening:

but our accountability can be found in the exchange rate and block explorer, where any user can watch the market movements and wallet movements to keep us in check.
Really? so if you turn out to be mistrustful in the end we can look and watch you selling off your investment fund on the block explorer? Talk about accountability!! This offers no recourse, and no accountability in the event of malicious actions.
So my argument still stands.
This is not chump change you are talking about here. You are expecting people to trust you with millions and millions of dollars and your first thought is to try to discredit my concerns? That image seems quite fitting now. Why fix life now? Fix life tomorrow.
You want people to trust you with millions of dollars? You should be incorporating a company and filing paperwork. Proving your identity. Don't give me this "protecting my anonymity" crap.
Isn't your "anonymity" worth several million dollars?
Trust me with 10 million dollars; I will give you my name, address, phone number, I'll come to your house and take a picture with you. I'll let you stand in my bedroom and watch me while I sleep. This is not childs play here, this is real world kind of money.
You expect people to just trust you with this kind of money are you fucking kidding me?
The fact that instead of addressing these concerns you are blowing them off because "we wrote some stuff in the whitepaper" is just shocking.

•   No valid use except as a speculative asset

All currency is purely a speculative asset, including Bitcoin and Litecoin. Value comes from the expectation it will be exchangeable (and expectation of the costs of that exchange) in the future, which is speculation. Since AIRcoin doesn’t have any transaction fees, it’s likely that it would have even more valid use than most other coins, since it would have a baseline expected return equal to or greater than 0, since there is not guaranteed loss through transfer.

So this, as well, is not correct.

Don't twist my words. Bitcoin is speculative but it also functions as a currency in the real world. Bitcoin can be exchanged for real items, goods and services. Air can not. When your coin is actually used as a currency I can see the price climbing to such heights, but for a coin with a cap of 1 billion to start at .00115 is insane.

Anyone who mined AIRcoin and wishes to sell below ~.00115 BTC/AIR (or higher depending on the difficulty when they mined the coins) is going to take a loss compared to mining any other coin. So if you do believe that coins will be sold at those prices (remember, the price is determined by what people will buy and sell at and nothing else) then you have basically told every miner of our coin that they are wasting their time and energy. I think they, as well as our team, would strongly disagree with that. This same relationship between ease of mining and per-coin exchange rate is a very STRONG assumption, and can be observed on both ends of the spectrum with 42Coin and Dogecoin.

So only having few satoshi’s of worth isn’t incorrect as much as it is certainly extremely unlikely, and those who would have to act to cause such a thing to happen have strong incentive not to do so.

It seems you are assuming that all coins are equally profitable to mine? This is not the case. You can't say "well you would get x number of BTC per MH mining this other coin so the price of our coin should be x per MH".
Why should a coin that is just released be as profitable to mine as say vertcoin or dogecoin?

With the business minds we have, we can generate $10,000,000 of capital through they booming Venture Capitalist market. Anything over $1,000,000 seems a lot to the normal person, but in the financial world, it's not a fortune: it's the price of entry.

To quote the Whitepaper again,

The reflection is awful, and in this point of view, how trifling, how ridiculous, do the little paltry cavilings of a few weak or interested men appear, when weighed against the business of a world.

Very unrelated but yes, in the venture capital world this is nothing; but in the venture capital world you know who you are giving money to. You have their names and addresses. You have signed legally binding contracts. You have legal recourse. It is much easier to trust someone when you know if they break their word and run off with the money you could sue them.

Unfortunately, the post descends quickly after this:

Claiming what is “human” nature and not “human” nature is absolutely absurd when it comes to finance, which is wholly an unnaturally phenomena. I am certain they said the same thing when the first Banks, the First Corporations, the First governments, the First Books, the First Businessmen, the First Tribes, and the First Religions were created. “We can’t trust humans to do anything other than sleep, eat, and procreate until they die! That’s all they can be certain of doing in the last 50,000 years!” It is at this point where the post forgets all reason.

Pump and dump scams are easy, have little profit, and will only speed up the process before this entire market is closed down by regulation. The real profit is in maintaining the strongest internally supported coin, until that coin become an exception to the regulatory position. This would both prolong the period of deregulation and improve the entire community’s status in comparison to the rest of the far more organized financial world.
Claiming that human nature plays no part in the business world is entirely more absurd. Thinking that lust, greed and jealously don't affect and mold our lives is plainly ignorant or delusional. You have listed a bunch of things and said that people must have been just as skeptical when they first appeared. These things aren't related but the government one I find interesting. It can be argued that it is just this very reason why they were created. Governments were necessary to protect the freedoms and liberties of its people, because people could not be trusted to not act in ways that were not malicious. We needed to group together to protect ourselves from other peoples. This is why we have governments, because humans are human. We created laws and rules to help guide and evolve our people from uncivilized animals constantly warring with each other into the generation we see today. I'm sorry that you don't see the logic behind this. Attacking my views or my concerns is only detrimental to your cause.

This doesn’t warrant a real response, but I hope that in retrospect, it becomes clear that it doesn’t, in any way, improve the criticism of the post.

So we wish to make a statement to our users and their concerns: We will respond. We will discuss it, and if you bring up good points, our development team will learn from it. But if you do not advance from our response, and you return with an even less informed response, we will note it and we will act on it as well. If your concerns are already addressed professionally and reasonably, either support it or leave it. You do the community no good if your further posts are less helpful than your earlier ones, and there are currencies that do, indeed, need your criticism far more. We want to provide as much help and service as we possibly can.

- Alexander

I see that I am not human, and my concerns are unwarranted and stupid. I am just an ignorant fool for critical thinking and not following the herd. Please forgive me for ever questioning your moral compass and future intentions which you can prove to us without a shadow of a doubt are pure and beneficial to the community. When you get back from the future in your time machine I'd like to borrow it thanks.

My concerns were NOT addressed reasonably or professionally. Pointing at a paper your wrote and saying "trust us because we wrote things" is neither intelligent nor reasonable.

From your post I get an impression that you work in the financial industry with large sums of money. Your view of the situation is biased in the fact that these may be normal everyday sums of money. Your bias may also be incorrect because in the financial industry there is accountability and liability. You may deal with millions of dollars, but never, EVER, are you just handed several million anonymously and asked not to abuse it.
If your intentions are good, you have misjudged the laymans view of this size of money being entrusted to you with no recourse.
If your intentions are not good, you already know this is a large amount of money and are trying to discount it as otherwise.

If AIRcoin launched at our current expected rates, the market capitalization would be $1,765,060, or #26 on Coinmarketcap. As pointed out in the first half of this point, TheMightyX is very wrong on the definition and assumptions of what market capitalization means.

Hey you're right, I was tired and didn't think it through there for a second. Marketcap @ 2 million is reasonable, the premine though (even with the intended purpose of facilitating trading) is excessive. It will definitely allow them to manipulate the market as they said they will do - they control  96% of it right now and that control will go down by only about 3% a month at the current rate. Which means that after a year they still control around 62% of all Aircoins in existence (provided that they don't make gains by trading). Don't even know what to think about it anymore, just seems weird.

Don't mince words. The overrall market cap was what I was referring to and I hope you and anyone with an IQ above 80 knew that.
(i.e. at .00115 all the coins in existence would be worth 1150000 BTC or roughly $747,500,000 if all coins were released on day one. Not just the current market cap of available coins).

Since the premine amount is used to manage pump and dump expenditures, it is effectively a mechanism to distribute coins into the market without lowering the exchange rate (or to purchase them back at a higher exchange rate). If we chose a smaller premine, we would have to concede a lower (and decreasing) exchange rate in return. We found this to be unacceptable for an economically viable coin.

However, the entire premine amount will be documented, and is currently available to view in the block explorer. Gains on trading will be released on a regular basis along with data about how the coins have been invested, it is our intention that the more transparency we have on the issue, the greater support (and accountability) we will have from our users.

Posting documented information about where coins are or where they are going does not alleviate the valid concerns people have with entrusting nameless, faceless entities with millions of dollars. Just like watching bitcoins stolen from your wallet, you can watch them go indefinitely, but you can never get them back.

Please don't discount my concerns as inflammatory or misguided. Yes I did support this concept at one point in time and still do to an extent. But I have every right to change my opinion after consideration.
TheMightyX

Activity: 350

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:39:03 AM

Hi guys! Long time lurker here, been through about 15 coin launches now and decided to create an account merely for the AIRcoin thread.

Really excited to see how this turns out. Nearly every launch i've been a part of has resulted in a near immediate pump and dump, Alexander's strategy in dealing with such circumstances seems overall pristine so far.

Alexander's strategy of keeping a majority of coins controlled by the DEV team is an outstanding one. It is probably the only way to near-guarentee a smooth launch free of market manipulation ( except the benficial manipulation by Alexander and Team ).

This has caused a few readers to bring trust into question... I won't quote anyone directly, but did any of you even read the white paper?
Are you seriously mining coins that you actually haven't put much legitimate thought into? The distasteful responses to this thread are beginnning to seem pre-meditated.

The white paper clearly outlines all steps of development, and in which, Alexander made absolutely no secret of the 0.25% premine. How else was his team supposed to control the market?

Yes, the premine is huge for the initial roll out period, THIS IS NECCESSARY FOR STABLE GROWTH UNTIL THE COIN IS MATURE.

the coin has proven extremely innovative with a lot of firsts, I'll be mining this for a while.

Strongly encourage anyone who has neglected to read the White Paper to read it. I'm sure Alexander worked extremely hard on it, and it shows.

Looking forward to growing a strong community as network hash rate begins to increase from the ridiculously low rate it is at now!

Yes, you have been through 15 launches but have yet to make an account on bitcointalk until now.
Now you just want to promote this coin in good faith.
You know that you look like a sockpuppet right now?

Also "extremely innovative" would describe something new or unique (etherium and counterparty come to mind). All though it hasn't been done as part of a cryptocurrency before, I wouldn't call a centralized trading entity new or unique.
flinchy

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:48:56 AM

TheMighty... Just stop, It's clear you're just trolling.

ED: hey i'l bite on one

>It seems you are assuming that all coins are equally profitable to mine? This is not the case. You can't say "well you would get x number of BTC per MH mining this other coin so the price of our coin should be x per MH".

Because logic?

Vertcoin shouldn't be profitable at all, it's 'killer feature' (ASIC resistance) won't even be useful for another couple of years, all it actually achieves is making it REALLY difficult to configure your miners.
scottlilo

Activity: 101

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:20:53 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 02:43:47 AM by scottlilo

Yes, you have been through 15 launches but have yet to make an account on bitcointalk until now.
Now you just want to promote this coin in good faith.

Also "extremely innovative" would describe something new or unique (etherium and counterparty come to mind). All though it hasn't been done as part of a cryptocurrency before, I wouldn't call a centralized trading entity new or unique.

Are you an idiot? I literally just publically stated to the entire forum that this is a new account, with no prior post history.

My lack of post history doesn't constitute a moronic response on your end. But I guess trolls will be trolls.

Stop your childish memes. Not a single person here finds them the least bit clever.

Etherium does look promising, but it is NOT a cryptocurrency, it is a complete platform and scripting language for developers to write new cryptos and operate them through the etherium "platform" and API, why do you compare etherium to AIRcoin? are you at all familiar with this?

Stop trolling the AIRcoin forum, why are you here if it isn't for a productive reason?

Also, did you read the white paper? If you had than you would feel really stupid saying some of the things your saying.

Thanks! Wink

Poloniex Moderator
AIRcoin Aether

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:07:36 AM

Are you an idiot?

I am going to ask you guys to please keep the forum mature, and refrain from insults.

TheMightyX: Alexander will reply to you, and hopefully, you will be able to understand what he says. If you do not understand, and continue to both berate the Dev team and the community that surrounds this coin, then I would like to ask you, maturely, to please refrain from posting on our forum. It is one thing to post constructive criticism and skepticism, but using foul language to get your point across is unappreciated and unwanted.

Best,
-Aether

AIRcoin Web Developer & Forum Admin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: