Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:07:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 [338] 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984414 times)
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2017, 10:11:07 AM

I'm not sure that bitcoin fulfills everything that gold does, but I think silver rather than gold would be the way to go for diversification. Smaller denominations make silver easier to obtain and sell quickly. Sure some people that buy precious metals are conspiracy theorists and doomsday prepper's, but a lot of them also just own metals for diversification.

But I never said that in the first place

I referred to speculation and profiteering as I specifically pointed out in my post. Some folks are claiming that Bitcoin is a good store of value. But that's outright bullshit if you ask me. They just don't know what a store of value basically means. It essentially means that whatever is used as such keeps its value when everything around crashes to dust and burns in flames. Now think how well Bitcoin cuts it as a store of value. Regarding silver, I'm strongly inclined to think that it is not any longer viable as a precious metal (at least, not more than, say, palladium)

Sorry but I don't think it's controversial that bitcoin is not a good store of value. The price of bitcoin is no where near being stable enough for me to hold money as a store of value. For an investment? Of course! Bitcoin is on the up and up, a great investment if you ask me! However unlike an investment, a store of value is any form of wealth that maintains its value without depreciating, especially in the event of your 'burning in flames' example. Did gold and silver drop in price during the 2008 crash? Sure. Would bitcoin have had it been in existence? Most likely. Therefor, I don't think either one is necessarily "better" at "storing value" than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but my whole point is diversification. The main purpose of diversification isn't to make as much money as possible, or else gold and silver of course would be AWFUL decisions compared to bitcoin. If you were referring to an investment - which as I read back I now think you were - I'm sorry that I misunderstood as I too would recommend bitcoin over anything else for investing some money in

No need to be sorry, I never said that Bitcoin was a good store of value, to begin with

Regarding diversification, I'm inclined to think (and Warren Buffett heavily supports my view) that the whole point of diversification is exactly the opposite what you claim, i.e. maximizing profits, not minimizing losses. More specifically, why would you ever want to keep your funds in something which you expect to fail? The best strategy would be to withdraw your money from such an asset altogether. If you expect money to fail, just don't keep your wealth in it. Why do you invest money in Bitcoin? Because you want to earn profits. Why do you you freeze your funds in gold? Because it can't collapse to the ground, and thus won't inflict heavy losses. This is obviously a strategy aimed at maximizing earnings since minimizing losses would mean pouring all your money into gold. As simple as it gets

GMPoison

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 01:51:38 PM

Regarding diversification, I'm inclined to think (and Warren Buffett heavily supports my view) that the whole point of diversification is exactly the opposite what you claim, i.e. maximizing profits, not minimizing losses. More specifically, why would you ever want to keep your funds in something which you expect to fail? The best strategy would be to withdraw your money from such an asset altogether. If you expect money to fail, just don't keep your wealth in it. Why do you invest money in Bitcoin? Because you want to earn profits. Why do you you freeze your funds in gold? Because it can't collapse to the ground, and thus won't inflict heavy losses. This is obviously a strategy aimed at maximizing earnings since minimizing losses would mean pouring all your money into gold. As simple as it gets

Good points, I just don't see diversification that way. Diversification is defined literally as a risk management technique, it lowers risk. If bitcoin was the top performing investment, everyone would just sink 100% of their portfolio into it. The reason people choose to make a little less money and not invest 100% into the top performing asset is because they apply diversification, risk management.

I believe when it comes to this we simple see things differently is all. I don't see investing in gold as freezing my funds, I see it as diversification. Spreading my money out so all of my eggs are never in one basket, plus it's nice to be able to physically buy, sell, and hold one of my asset classes. It's not digits on a screen, it's physical. Just for the record though I don't believe in buying gold, but silver instead. Smaller denominations make it easier to buy and sell, and it simply performs better. I probably wouldn't call buying precious metals an "investment" either, but a "diversification", because I know I won't make much money on them, but that was never my goal, diversification was.

It's not necessarily about maximizing earnings and minimizing losses 100%. You have to find a balance in my opinion. Like I said, diversification is key. Obviously you put more money into what is performing better (bitcoin), but that doesn't mean I want to put 100% of my money into bitcoin, it means I'll probably put around double as much as I have in precious metals into bitcoin (which both by the way still make up a small amount of a portfolio as they should). I'm just attacking this from a store of value/diversification angle not entirely an investment angle, I believe that's why we see so differently!
molsewid

Activity: 2170
Merit: 530

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 02:05:39 PM

I just sold my bitcoin yesterday when i checked the price of gold it was really high and then when i saw it the gold decrease i decided to sold it before it will decrease continuously for me bitcoin is better than gold ever since i started to use bitcoin since then i just tried to use gold just to try if i can really make good profit in trading.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2017, 02:33:53 PM

Good points, I just don't see diversification that way. Diversification is defined literally as a risk management technique, it lowers risk. If bitcoin was the top performing investment, everyone would just sink 100% of their portfolio into it. The reason people choose to make a little less money and not invest 100% into the top performing asset is because they apply diversification, risk management.

I believe when it comes to this we simple see things differently is all. I don't see investing in gold as freezing my funds, I see it as diversification. Spreading my money out so all of my eggs are never in one basket, plus it's nice to be able to physically buy, sell, and hold one of my asset classes. It's not digits on a screen, it's physical. Just for the record though I don't believe in buying gold, but silver instead. Smaller denominations make it easier to buy and sell, and it simply performs better. I probably wouldn't call buying precious metals an "investment" either, but a "diversification", because I know I won't make much money on them, but that was never my goal, diversification was.

It's not necessarily about maximizing earnings and minimizing losses 100%. You have to find a balance in my opinion. Like I said, diversification is key. Obviously you put more money into what is performing better (bitcoin), but that doesn't mean I want to put 100% of my money into bitcoin, it means I'll probably put around double as much as I have in precious metals into bitcoin (which both by the way still make up a small amount of a portfolio as they should). I'm just attacking this from a store of value/diversification angle not entirely an investment angle, I believe that's why we see so differently!

I appreciate your pains in evaluating your stance on this issue

But what you say is really a strategy which still has as its ultimate goal maximizing profits at a certain amount of risk. Let's be honest, you are in fact looking for earning more, not so much for preserving your wealth (where diversification is actually a bad idea as I said). This is the key difference which allows to tell between diversification for the purpose of maximizing profits or that of minimizing losses. In other words, you set a reasonable level of risk and then still go for profits by balancing different assets in your portfolio (which is what diversification should be used for). On the other hand, the task of minimizing risks would be your primary aim if you were looking for just storing your wealth (regardless and likely at the expense of profits). That seems to be a key distinction

GMPoison

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 02:40:38 PM

I appreciate your pains in evaluating your stance on this issue

But what you say is really a strategy which still has as its ultimate goal maximizing profits at a certain amount of risk. Let's be honest, you are in fact looking for earning more, not so much for preserving your wealth (where diversification is actually a bad idea as I said). This is the key difference which allows to tell between diversification for the purpose of maximizing profits or that of minimizing losses. In other words, you set a reasonable level of risk and then still go for profits by balancing different assets in your portfolio (which is what diversification should be used for). On the other hand, the task of minimizing risks would be your primary aim if you were looking for just storing your wealth (regardless and likely at the expense of profits). That seems to be a key distinction

Yeah I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, you're right. It's a fact that I set a reasonable level of risk but still go for profits by balancing different assets in my portfolio, I just don't think it's a bad idea to keep a small portion of your net worth (not necessarily your investment portfolio) in precious metals, on hand, even if it's not the most profitable investment. 
hurain

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 02:47:48 PM

Bitcoin will always be a good investment for me rather in gold nowadays, if you are just going to check it out what is going on now in the value of bitcoin, its getting stronger and stronger, look at this link in bitcoinwisdom.com, It is really more than a gold for me especially the community o bitcoin are becoming more aggressive to buy it more and more.
bitcoin is indeed a good investment as compare to gold and any other investment, in fact bitcoin has the quality that every simply holding it you can earn a decent income. and if you are interested then you can also invest your bitcoin in alt coin and can also make good profit from there. while gold is only good for saving, because its price is very stable and we can observed a very slight change in the price of gold.
usefrees

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 06:07:26 PM

Bitcoin will always be a good investment for me rather in gold nowadays, if you are just going to check it out what is going on now in the value of bitcoin, its getting stronger and stronger, look at this link in bitcoinwisdom.com, It is really more than a gold for me especially the community o bitcoin are becoming more aggressive to buy it more and more.
bitcoin is indeed a good investment as compare to gold and any other investment, in fact bitcoin has the quality that every simply holding it you can earn a decent income. and if you are interested then you can also invest your bitcoin in alt coin and can also make good profit from there. while gold is only good for saving, because its price is very stable and we can observed a very slight change in the price of gold.

Gold prefer conservative investors. Those who are accustomed to stability.
Bitcoin progressive coin. It is very hard to predict what will happen tomorrow with Bitcoins. But those who are willing to risk buying Bitcoin. Gold does not give such income
numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 06:09:32 AM

Bitcoin progressive coin. It is very hard to predict what will happen tomorrow with Bitcoins. But those who are willing to risk buying Bitcoin. Gold does not give such income

Preserves value. That has been it's functionality during the last well 5000 years, more or less.

Other precious metals can serve the same functionality, and if there is real industry demand maybe the income perspective outperforms gold. At the current moment I am looking at distribution pathways that dodge some insane taxings applied to anything besides gold at my country.

deppil

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:22:25 AM

it is very difficult to get the gold

Where do you live? it's usually quite easy to buy gold bullion in most places.

I think it doesn't matter where we live in getting gold. Because for me, I can say that it is hard to get gold and those people who acquire gold are the only ones that are wealthy enough and can afford to buy it. I prefer to choose bitcoin because it is preferable and much easier to use and to acquire even you will small amount, you can have it.

Well if we are considering gold as an investment then it is not so difficult to buy gold nowadays. Especially if you have bitcoins then you can buy gold through the online broker such as 1broker. The only limitation is that you can't get it in psychical form by that way. You would be able to get gain out of price movements for your investment.

I prefer to buy Bitcoin. I can buy it very easily. But this is not the only reason for buying Bitcoins. I like the fact that he is constantly getting more expensive
i agree with you bitcoin getting more expensive day by day because bitcoin adoption increasing too much faster and bitcoin price also increasing to higher value so i also interesting in bitcoin than gold.

And it is going to become more expensive for the next years especially when it reach its total supply limit. The supply will become lesser because a lot of whales are going to do something to control and manipulate the economy and pricing of bitcoin just like what is happening today. So bitcoin will be better than gold in the future.
I was scared when the more expensive it bitcoin enthusiasts of bitcoin will be less because people increasingly pay dearly to buy one bitcoin only? What do you think?
but on the other hand I knew it would add to the popularity of bitcoin
soul-impact

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:39:24 AM

Yeah, gold is safer than Bitcoin and therefore, people can not easily have a big profit while holding gold. I would prefer using Bitcoin over using gold because Bitcoin gives me a lot of opportunity and chance to make more money and it is also a new technology which is considered opening a new era of money. The prices of Bitcoin also very high and it always increases every year.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

Sadlife

Activity: 1400
Merit: 269

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:45:29 AM

I suggest bitcoin because it's secure and fast no need to type any personal info and the transactions are totally free and if you save lots and lots of bitcoins right now you could be a millionaire after 10 years because more people are investing to this crypto currency more countries are starting to use bitcoin.

▄▄▄▀█▀▀▀█▀▄▄▄
       ▀▀   █     █
    ▀      █       █
  █      ▄█▄       ▐▌
 █▀▀▀▀▀▀█   █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█        ▀█▀        █
█         █         █
█         █        ▄█▄
 █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █
  █       ▐▌       ▀█▀
  █▀▀▀▄    █       █
  ▀▄▄▄█▄▄   █     █
         ▀▀▀▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀▀
CRYPTO CASINO
FOR WEB 3.0
▄▄▄█▀▀▀
▄▄████▀████
▄████████████
█▀▀    ▀█▄▄▄▄▄
█        ▄█████
█        ▄██████
██▄     ▄███████
████▄▄█▀▀▀██████
████       ▀▀██
███          █
▀█          █
▀▀▄▄ ▄▄▄█▀▀
▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
  ▄ ▄█ ▄
▄▄        ▄████▀       ▄▄
▐█
███▄▄█████████████▄▄████▌
██
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀▀▀████
▐█▀    ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀        ▀█▌
     █▄████   ▄▀█▄     ▌

██████   ▀██▀     █
████▄    ▀▀▀▀           ▄████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
██████▌█▌█▌██████▐█▐█▐███████
OWL GAMES
Metamask
WalletConnect
Phantom
▄▄▄███ ███▄▄▄
▄▄████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀████▄▄
▄  ▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▀  ▄
██▀ ▄▀▀             ▀▀▄ ▀██
██▀ █ ▄     ▄█▄▀      ▄ █ ▀██
██▀ █  ███▄▄███████▄▄███  █ ▀██
█  ▐█▀    ▀█▀    ▀█▌  █
██▄ █ ▐█▌  ▄██   ▄██  ▐█▌ █ ▄██
██▄ ████▄    ▄▄▄    ▄████ ▄██
██▄ ▀████████████████▀ ▄██
▀  ▄▄▄▀▀█████████▀▀▄▄▄  ▀
▀▀████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄████▀▀
▀▀▀███ ███▀▀▀
DICE
SLOTS
BACCARAT
BLACKJACK
GAME SHOWS
POKER
ROULETTE
CASUAL GAMES
▄███████████████████▄
██▄▀▄█████████████████████▄▄
███▀█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████▌
█████████▄█▄████████████████
███████▄█████▄█████████████▌
███████▀█████▀█████████████
█████████▄█▄██████████████▌
██████████████████████████
█████████████████▄███████▌
████████████████▀▄▀██████
▀███████████████████▄███▌
              ▀▀▀▀█████▀
BeGoods
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:59:40 AM

I suggest bitcoin because it's secure and fast no need to type any personal info and the transactions are totally free and if you save lots and lots of bitcoins right now you could be a millionaire after 10 years because more people are investing to this crypto currency more countries are starting to use bitcoin.
yeah I agree with you, if you're using bitcoin to invest long term, the example you hold bitcoin for the next 10 years. it will be much safer than gold and of course you will become a millionaire if you buy a lot of bitcoin.
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 07:54:07 PM

Yeah, the bitcoin has a rising price rate that I quite fast compared to the gold that has been rising very slowly for a long time now, but the bitcoin has been dropping a few between now and then, so if you want to invest in bitcoin you have to keep an eye on the price so you won’t lose, otherwise you should put your money on the gold and sit back for a while until it rises.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:00:25 PM

All well and good until you try to cash out.

How exactly do you intend to convert $1 million in bitcoin to cash without giving out all your personal info. 

GMPoison

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:10:49 PM

All well and good until you try to cash out.

How exactly do you intend to convert $1 million in bitcoin to cash without giving out all your personal info. 

I make the argument that it's good to own both precious metals and bitcoin, but you would convert $1 million in bitcoin to cash the same way you would any precious metals. You do it out in the open giving your personal information away, or you do it the shady way. I don't see how the same doesn't apply to precious metals.
Babayega31

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Cryptocurrency Wallet - Denaro.io

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 12:48:45 AM

I should choose bitcoin instead of gold because it has an ability of price fluctuations that may rise up high unlike gold its price demand is declining nowadays due to more fashion accesories alternatives that may compete gold demand. Both of then has different advantages but, I would likely recommend bitcoin to friends and relatives.

rchstr

Activity: 546
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 01:21:41 AM

I should choose bitcoin instead of gold because it has an ability of price fluctuations that may rise up high unlike gold its price demand is declining nowadays due to more fashion accesories alternatives that may compete gold demand. Both of then has different advantages but, I would likely recommend bitcoin to friends and relatives.

for the traders and stock holders they would probably choose bitcoin against gold because it is more harder for them to earn if they choose gold. choosing gold will lead them to more long days to have income while if they choose bitcoin. they will just wait for a moment if they know what they are doing and then sell their bitcoin in higher rate.
Bedebah

Activity: 524

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 01:26:11 AM

I select the bitcoin, current investment bitcoin is the most profitable because it can get up to 30% in 1 month. It may seem absurd, but I've proven. I see gold is stagnan and not profitable in a last year.
Ipwich

Activity: 1050
Merit: 529

Student Coin

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 01:51:14 AM

I select the bitcoin, current investment bitcoin is the most profitable because it can get up to 30% in 1 month. It may seem absurd, but I've proven. I see gold is stagnan and not profitable in a last year.

It doesn't really matter. Gold is an eternal haven. While the situation can be worried between 2 countries, investors often decid to turn to this metal to avoid any risk.
And don't forget that currently, there are three products to invest in gold. The individual may be interested in the semi-numismatiques parts that are no longer in strike (Napoleon 20F, Latin union,...), Bullion Coins struck pure gold or bullion and ingots ranging from 1 gram to 1 kilogram
The moment you can invest with gold, I guess you are living a comfortable life already. Bitcoin gives us a chance to live a comfortable life if ever our investment will succeed, it's not the safest but if we take the risk we might get a big reward. Right now, it's the most popular investment for the crypto people due to the very good future of bitcoin.

STUDENTCOIN