Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:22:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262670 times)
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 05:09:51 AM

I guess you need to ask the donators, maybe biggest ones, for their opinion. Its their money they donated for a special cause, so changing rules there...

I generally agree with rules being rules and not so much with "biggest donators decide". But with the weird situation of there being $30kUS that nobody wants, I feel a bit sad for those who have to have this on the back of their minds all the time and understand how they want to get this done with at some point. Oh, I'm actually glad to hear that, as 2 years ago or so, I read a comment about this eventually being made into a permanent institution.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tsquared

Activity: 500
Merit: 501

http://digitalcoin.org/

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 12:03:53 PM

Started watching this thread since I found it earlier this year. Impressed with the initiative, and sad to see you're considering termination.

Perhaps you folks could automate the process and keep it alive? Something like a website where donors could request a deposit address, then once 1 BTC was sent to that address the donor name was listed on a donor page. A group of 5 could be those who decide what to pay out. Claimants could complete a form that would be sent to these 5 and if 3 approve the $1000 donation could be sent to an address provided by the claimant.

Just a thought.

Hope you keep it going.

TT
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 12:35:50 PM

Started watching this thread since I found it earlier this year. Impressed with the initiative, and sad to see you're considering termination.

Perhaps you folks could automate the process and keep it alive? Something like a website where donors could request a deposit address, then once 1 BTC was sent to that address the donor name was listed on a donor page. A group of 5 could be those who decide what to pay out. Claimants could complete a form that would be sent to these 5 and if 3 approve the $1000 donation could be sent to an address provided by the claimant.

Just a thought.

Hope you keep it going.

TT

I think the work involved is already very few. And all can participate. Creating automated processes might be more work and not help much afterwards.

Maybe too few know this project so that not so very much projects get suggested.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 03:27:32 PM

Great to see you active again, Rassah!

About donating to Sean's outpost:
I like the project, and personally donated several times already. Still, I don't feel too good about changing the rules here. In hindsight, we should have put an expiration date, or the like, in the original proposal.
We could, however, try to get as many donators to say "go ahead for Sean's outpost". Those accepting would have their donations forwarded accordingly. Maybe we can collect enough "go for it" that we can spend a big bunch of the funds. And use "no go" and "no reply" donations to btc100 for their regular cause, for past NGOs and future NGOs, depending on the sum.
I, for one, would agree to have the funds I initially donated to BTC100 used for Sean's outpost.

I would, however, prefer to have a long-term solution which continues the path BTC100 created. But if we don't find people willing to keep it up, well, not much to do about it except have BTC100 in hiatus, or send funds to non-original causes, or try to send the funds left back to their original donators.

AS this is more-or-less a project of this thread, we could make the process more streamlined as well. Like, post an applicant here, with a 3 day deadline. If noone has any objection until then, go ahead with the donation. If none of the BTC100-donators  has objections, or noone cares enough to spend some time do research, well, at least the Bitcoins are in the flow again :-)

Ente
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 12:27:54 AM

Sorry I have been inactive again. I've been dealing with an accidental death of someone very important to me  Cry (not someone in my family). Her family is dealing with the after effects, and I've been helping with funeral stuff and tying up loose ends.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 04:30:30 PM

@Rassah: Sorry to hear of your loss. Sad

Clarity about btc100 needed

This discussion hurts people approaching charities. We need some definite roadmap, at least a pledge on how long business as usual should be available. Also I guess many abandoned this forum over the years, so it's unlikely all donors would learn about changes on short notice and they might not be pleased to see their funds be applied against the rules. Not sure how long a fair process for a rule change would be but certainly rather months than weeks.

Draft on how to wind down btc100

I would vote to wind down btc100 with one final transaction towards a new charity. Something like a clear road map to close BTC100, with charities being able to apply for what's left.

Charities can continue to "accept bitcoin and ask for $1000", taking from the funds as normal.

Donors can continue to provide funds.

Starting 2 months after the rule change being announced and provided no veto is given, charities can alternatively enter a lottery. Here they would get pre-approved prior to actually accepting bitcoin.

As soon as 5 are in that group, they have 2 months to actually start accepting bitcoin.

In that first 7 weeks, others may also join by starting to accept bitcoin and asking for approval.

At the end of those 7 weeks, at a predetermined block height, the list of charities is finalized and their exact order published. Almost two weeks to dispute who's actually in or out should be enough.

After the 2 months, at an exact block height, we take sha256(block_id) modulo charities.length to determine the winner.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 06:36:55 PM

One step back here.

a) Rassah takes care of BTC100 again
b) someone else takes it over
c) wind down BTC100

About b): I'd say this is two jobs: one trustworthy person to handle the funds, and, ideally, a group of people to decide that a charity is good to receive. If we find a few people to background-check charities (NGO, non-religious, only recently accepting BTC, charity exists long enough), finding someone to do the bookkeeping won't be such a problem.

About c): Uh, this is a very technical, very complicated, very confusing suggestion you made! :-)
Also, I think we still have too many funds left to just throw it in the wind randomly.

Another way would be to check who is still reading here. Maybe we have enough still here to be able to decide freely with the remaining sum. We'll account the spent funds to the absent donators, and the remaining funds to the ones here.
I, for one, am still here and open to suggestions to spend my donations differently than initially planned.
But I would still prefer a) or b) ;-)

Ente

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2015, 06:39:41 PM

One step back here.

c) wind down BTC100

About b): I'd say this is two jobs: one trustworthy person to handle the funds, and, ideally, a group of people to decide that a charity is good to receive. If we find a few people to background-check charities (NGO, non-religious, only recently accepting BTC, charity exists long enough), finding someone to do the bookkeeping won't be such a problem.

About c): Uh, this is a very technical, very complicated, very confusing suggestion you made! :-)
Also, I think we still have too many funds left to just throw it in the wind randomly.

Another way would be to check who is still reading here. Maybe we have enough still here to be able to decide freely with the remaining sum. We'll account the spent funds to the absent donators, and the remaining funds to the ones here.
I, for one, am still here and open to suggestions to spend my donations differently than initially planned.

Ente

I agree with just about everything you've posted here.

I'd prefer finding a way to distribute the remaining BTC to new charities but it seems that no one really has the time or motivation, myself included. (I haven't even updated the site recently!)

Considering that I'm the first response since your post about four days ago, I think it's safe to assume not many of the original donators check this thread regularly.

Still around.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 10:53:31 PM

One step back here.

c) wind down BTC100

Ente

I agree with just about everything you've posted here.

I'd prefer finding a way to distribute the remaining BTC to new charities but it seems that no one really has the time or motivation, myself included. (I haven't even updated the site recently!)

Considering that I'm the first response since your post about four days ago, I think it's safe to assume not many of the original donators check this thread regularly.

I do but I don't post here much. I would like to see it continue as it is now. Has anyone contacted roger ver? He was the biggest contributor.

vdramaliev

Activity: 553
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 09:41:51 PM

Hello,

I have tried to reach Dmitry (Rassah) at Rassah@xnicole.com - sent two mails in the past few months. I have had no reply. I am not sure if Bitcoin100 is live. If Rassah is reading this, please contact me. I am trying to develop BitHope.org and any help from you will be appreciated.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 02:13:47 PM

So Bitcoin100 is officially dead now, correct?

Is anyone planning on returning the unused funds to the donors or doing one last large donation to a worthy cause?

Ente
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 05:54:41 PM

It's dysfunctional at the moment.
It could be revived if someone steps up with a plan.
Or wound down, if someone proposes a plan how to do that.

There were some messages about that on the last pages, but even that didn't spark much.

Ente
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 06:20:31 PM

It's dysfunctional at the moment.
It could be revived if someone steps up with a plan.
Or wound down, if someone proposes a plan how to do that.

There were some messages about that on the last pages, but even that didn't spark much.

Ente

I haven't really seen any movement in months. It would be better at this point to verifiably disburse the remaining funds because it seems to have run its course.

Ente
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 04:14:45 PM

At this point, I agree.
(Also, sorry, I only saw later on that I/we were discussing the options for the future with.. you!)

Now the tricky part: will we get every single donator to agree on "a good cause"?
Else, similarly impossible: get a working reimburse-address for every single donator?

As a technicality, we can check which donors are gone for good, and use their coins for the successful btc100-donations first. And then check with everyone left and online how to proceed.

If there's a good single cause, I'll gladly consider donating my coins / my reimbursement to that. Or to a comparable or follow-up project.

To make things more complicated: not every donation to BTC100 is listed in the OP. I did several donations, only the first is listed, for example.

At the very least, we'll need the complete donors list from Rassah, and later on how many coins are left and someone to send them their way. Rassah and/or Roger has access, afaik.

As soon as the complete bookkeeping is available, I'll gladly help work the details out.

Ente
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2016, 04:24:24 PM

I'm still awaiting IRS approval for DONATE MEDIA, but DONATE MEDIA right now is a state of Florida approved NON-profit and I am working on a very cool Bitcoin Donation Script still in early stages (can be seen here: http://159.203.44.96/donations/example.html )just waiting for my api key from blockchain for the bitcoin part to function properly, but it worked no problem in the sandbox.

So if you'd like me to continue the BITCOIN 100 I could entice non-profits with this script and make the pyramid TOP 100 Donors instead of TOP 10. So the non-profits funded can automatically just insert a little include code into their website that starts taking donations in bitcoin. The donation box and pyramid would appear on their site and the funds go right into their bitcoin wallet and they give their donors some exposure as well.

The script was initially developed solely for my DONATE MEDIA non-profit use, but when I cam across this thread it peaked my interest. So would love to continue the project if it's something others are interested in doing. Just PM me or reply here and I'll get notified.

Edited/Added: P.S. once I am approved by the IRS on the Federal level I will also be able to issue Donors write-off coupons for their donations as well.

If I think of anything else I'll add it here.  

http://www.donatemedia.org/ or http://www.donate.media/ are the domain names that will be used to reach my non-profits website.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 08:33:31 PM

At this point, I agree.
(Also, sorry, I only saw later on that I/we were discussing the options for the future with.. you!)

Now the tricky part: will we get every single donator to agree on "a good cause"?
Else, similarly impossible: get a working reimburse-address for every single donator?

As a technicality, we can check which donors are gone for good, and use their coins for the successful btc100-donations first. And then check with everyone left and online how to proceed.

If there's a good single cause, I'll gladly consider donating my coins / my reimbursement to that. Or to a comparable or follow-up project.

To make things more complicated: not every donation to BTC100 is listed in the OP. I did several donations, only the first is listed, for example.

At the very least, we'll need the complete donors list from Rassah, and later on how many coins are left and someone to send them their way. Rassah and/or Roger has access, afaik.

As soon as the complete bookkeeping is available, I'll gladly help work the details out.

Ente

Thanks for responding. I donated a couple of btc and agree that I would be willing to have any remainder go to a good single cause. I know it's not doing anyone any good having the project sit in limbo forever. Let us know when you're able to contact Rassah and work something out. 

Operatr

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 08:23:58 AM

I just received my IRS approval in the mail today guys & gals and registered BitcoinCharity.org which I'll be doing a quick DBA to DONATE MEDIA INC. to have that site focus entirely on Bitcoin related charity work going forward. The IRS approval of my charity means any donations received would now be tax deductible under IRC Section 170 as well for all donors. So just wanted to give everyone a heads up if there's still any interest in continuing this venture. I'm still about 10 days or so from official launch but all is looking good. Wish me luck!

Have a great night everybody.

Ente
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 11:07:43 AM

Congratulations, sounds great! :-)
What will you need from the community, for help?
Any ideas if/how BTC100 would fit there, or be continued, or be swallowed?

Ente
Operatr

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 06:17:39 AM

Congratulations, sounds great! :-)
What will you need from the community, for help?
Any ideas if/how BTC100 would fit there, or be continued, or be swallowed?

Ente

Well that would be totally up to you guys but I personally registered BitcoinCharity.org because I do like this BTC 100 idea to an extent, but I think in addition to just pledging bitcoin to the charity that agrees to accept BTC? We need to offer them cool and EASY ways TO ACTUALLY ACCEPT it as well.

ONE Idea I had was the pyramid which I mentioned in an earlier post ( http://donatemedia.org/?page_id=105 having our own bitcoin api developed for it as we speak), we could easily make those blocks go to TOP 100 Donors instead of TOP 10. So to allow the charities we solicit to accept bitcoin, they would just come to my Bitcoincharity.org site, enter the receiving wallet address they'd like to use and a little code snippet is generated using our own api and everything (sort of like what blockchain.info does for their donor buttons), and the charities implement the snippet onto their site and they then can request the $1k or whatever the donation pledge was once the charity has been verified. Good way to also advertise bitcoin 100 too, because there could be a little link under the pyramid that directs possible NEW charities to bitcoin 100 as well.

And it doesn't have to the PYRAMID Script, we could look into development of other cool scripts in addition to the PYRAMID script, the bitcoin auction scripts are nice and would benefit charities who sell donated goods, bitcoin charity raffle scripts could be developed, etc... I'm just throwing ideas out there right now, but the decision is ULTIMATELY up to ALL of you who have contributed and built up Bitcoin 100 to this point. I'd be glad to take it over as a Donate Media Inc. DBA OR we could focus new efforts with BitcoinCharity.org in building nice bitcoin only accepting apps and scripts for charities to implement.

So whether it's just helping you guys promote bitcoin 100 the way it is, that works. If you would like me to take it over and try to revive it, that's cool to or like I said we could dissolve it and work everything into the BitcoinCharity.org scripts & app development. So half the pledge donations go into script development and the other half go into the approved charities who agree to place the scripts or apps on their site.

No decision has to be made anytime soon, just offering some options.

Once I'm officially launched with Donate Media and have the BitcoinCharity.org site up and running I'll have an ANN thread going.

Have a great night everyone, sorry for the rambling, it's late here on the east coast :-)

Ente
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 01:36:09 PM

Wow, a lot of stuff to wrap our minds around, nice! :-)

We'll have to figure out how to continue with Roger and Rassah.

One thought right away: I'd suggest to use a different name than "pyramid". Like, any other name would be better than that. It took me a moment to realize this indeed has nothing to do with "all donations go to the pot, and the top X charities receive part Y of it" ;-)

Great to see so much is in the works there, I am sure we will integrate parts of BTC100 in there, one way or another!

Ente
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: