Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:26:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262670 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 06:07:40 AM

And more work for Phin (and myself)

To Brock, me

Hi Brock,

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce you to Dmitry, who is cc:ed in this email. Dmitry oversees the Bitcoin100 and we had a chance to meet in person recently in Toronto and he graciously volunteers his time to administer the project.

Dmitry, Brock is currently involved with War Child Canada and has expressed an interest in the Bitcoin 100. Brock, from here, just let Dmitry know that you're interested along with a link to the War Child site and let him know that you are looking to implement it within your organization. As I mentioned, if you need any help around the technical implementation / executive buy-in parts, just let me know!

JASON SHIM / DIGITAL MEDIA MANAGER
PATHWAYS TO EDUCATION CANADA  

Awesome! Thanks Jason.

Dmitry, I would love to get the ball rolling on helping War Child accept Bitcoin donations. Here is the link to our site: www.warchild.ca (we have a splash page up for the holidays, FYI)

We haven't started this at all, and I understand that's exactly the types of organizations you're interested in helping out.

Like Jason hinted at, I've got a little bit of internal convincing to do in the New Year but nothing I can't handle with some behind the scenes help from Jason.

Didn't see any problems with this one.

Then there's this

Hello Dmitry
My name is Amanda Furst. I am the founder of Growing Opportunities International (GO!), a Canadian-based non-profit organization that partners with individuals in developing countries that have sustainable project ideas to positively impact their community.  To date, GO! has built a nursery school complete with rain water catchment system, play structure and library in rural Rwanda and is in the process of creating Hero Home - a Community Sports Centre and home for street kids and orphans in Northern Tanzania.

I recently came across your website, bitcoin100.org and love what you guys are doing.  I am currently set up on our website to receive bitcoin donations and would love to join with bitcoin100 to help GO! gain more exposure in the bitcoin community.  Our website is www.growingopportunitiesinternational.org.  Currently we have a bitcoin widget that we got from coinwidget.com but we are looking to develop a widget that is a bit bigger and more attractive.  We are also set up to receive litecoin and peercoin donations.  Furthermore, we run Swahili Tutorial series on youtube and are advertising that if people enjoy the videos, they could consider making a donation either in cash or in bitcoin.  

If possible, GO! would absolutely love to be part of bitcoin100.  Is there an application process to be considered?

If you require any additional information about GO! please feel free to contact me at <redacted>

Thank you for your time and the work you are doing to support non-profits in need.

Happy Holidays.

Amanda Furst
GO! Founder
www.GrowingOpportunitiesInternational.org

Another one of those "Great charity! But they accept bitcoin already  Tongue"
Should we just set the rule as "if you recently started accepting, you still qualify," with "recently" being within a month or two?

Damn right there's no problem with http://www.warchild.ca/. Along with the moniker I use on this site, I used to use it on poker sites with a Jethro Tull avatar. Hoorah!

GrowingOpportunitiesInternational.org : To address your question, I guess I already somewhat stated the same thing in an above post. We can easily give a little latitude as long as we take all concerns into consideration--donors, NPO's reach/quality of their cause, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 01:48:36 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 02:07:13 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Heard about Sunday Assembly on NPR the other day and was intrigued.

A http://sundayassembly.com/get-involved/donate-from-the-us/

Definitely a secular org, thus wondering if they would qualify if approached.

Please discuss.

~TMIBTCITW

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 05:30:52 AM

Dmitri,

My name is Spencer Campbell and I'm the Operations Director of
Exponential Education in Ghana. We pair needy high schoolers with
under-performing middle schoolers in an innovative after school
tutoring program. We give scholarships to the top tutors to pursue
university education.

We are a Bitcoin friendly non-profit and we've recently started
accepting bitcoin donations on our website,
www.exponentialeducationprogram.org. We are a small but rapidly
growing organization and the 1000 USD endownment from bitcoin100.org
would fund tutoring programs for 50 middle school students, keep 10
needy high schoolers in school and fund a scholarship for 1-2
outstanding individuals.

I hope you will consider supporting us!

Cheers,
Spencer Campbell and the Exponential Education team

Another one of those "they just started donating, do they qualify?" things. I think that shouldn't be a problem, but we really need to set up some rule about this.

www.capacitywr.ca is fine.

exponentialeducationprogram.org is fine as well with the exception of it recently started to accept bitcoin donations. Since we're a loosely knit org, of sorts, sometimes we can show a little latitude, especially if the org in question is very fine candidate, like this one.

$1,000 donation sent https://blockchain.info/tx/1a1d76d15a701595d42c72962981d4b87d06de43a5deb8b635f814b50e417379
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 05:44:43 AM

Please discuss.

~TMIBTCITW

http://media.wbur.org/wordpress/11/files/2013/12/Sunday-Assembly-Mythmas_selection_1001.jpg

Honestly, it sounds a bit weird :/
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 06:38:40 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 07:50:26 AM by Rassah

Some more inquiries:

Dmitry,

My nonprofit Upaya Social Ventures is working to create dignified jobs in India's poorest slums. Our organization began accepting bitcoin a few weeks ago and a friend recently told me about Bitcoin 100. I would love the opportunity to talk about possibly including Upaya on your site - please let me know if there is any additional information from me and I will be happy to send it along.

Thanks and looking forward to speaking soon. Happy holidays!

- Steve

Steve Schwartz
Director, Strategy & Operations
Upaya Social Ventures
Aspiring Entrepreneurs, Inspiring Outcomes

Microlending site. I'm gonna stay neutral on this one.

Bruce Chastain <alfredchastain@gmail.com>
Dec 20 (4 days ago)

to me
Hello Rassah,

A good friend of mine runs an charity origination which support the small village of Tohoue in Benin. In a few weeks him an I will visit the village and we are going to deliver this offline Wikipedia laptop for this mini project I've been working on.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BBE_xk-ycfNM36vDjIun32v-cbwKL6Z3Lx3b0u-il5s/edit

I'm also a big fan of bitcoin and when I hear of bitcoin 100 I thought it would be a perfect way to convince my friend to accept bitcoin for his charity.

Let me know if you're interested in supporting this kind of charity. Below are some pics from Tohoue.

http://www.volodalen.asso.fr/photos/benin/index.htm  

Thanks,
Bruce

P.S., the main site is here: http://www.volodalen.asso.fr

And below is the area about sponsoring a child. I think it would be here where we could put a big option to donate with bitcoin. I would suggest to my friend to have at least two address, one for sponsoring a child and another just for maybe smaller one time donations.  

http://www.volodalen.asso.fr/006parrainer/parrainer001.htm

Ca fait longtemps que je n'ai pas parlé français. Avoir du plaisir en revue celui-ci, Phinneas  Grin

To: me, Esther

Hi Esther,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in DC in a group of people enthusiastic about innovative technologies that improve our society. He now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. I am also getting him in touch with over a dozen more organizations I have been connected to. I think he will really appreciate Naija Worldwide Charities.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called BitCoins (if you haven't heard of them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good for your genuine and altruistic efforts.

@Dmitry, Esther is a friend of mine with a great passion for improving lives of others. I met her in DC while seeking architectural and planning projects worth giving a helpful hand to and since then I have been collaborating with her on designing a hospital project in Nigeria. She is a passionate educator, and an inspirational leader. She founded Naija World Charities in 2008 and received national and international recognition since then.
   I know they could do a lot of good with $1,000 and I thank you kindly for your time helping out!

Good luck!

Hello Erick, Rassa,
Thanks Erik for the wonderful introduction, we do the best we can to help those less fortunate than us but it has not been easy. There are so many hurting people around the world whose lives will be improved just with a little help. We would love to be the change agent, the catalyst used in making that difference but at times it feels like our hands are tied due to funding. We work through the grassroots so we meet these people face-to-face, we eat with them sleep on their floors and listen to their stories.
Rassa, good to finally make contact with you. Erik has spoken so much about you and the wonderful work you are doing, I feel like I already know. I look forward to building on this new relationship and maybe collaborating with you in some of the programs that we do. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Seems pretty good. Doubt there'll be any issues with this one either.

And last one,

hello dmitry.

we've run an ad-free, not-for-profit, global-youth-oriented news &
education service since 2005 called spectre. begun as a community
email list, spectre became popular enough to grew in unexpected ways,
including requests for reprints from nonsense nyc, arthurmag &
motherboard, plus viral media tools like facebook, twitter, pinboard,
pinterest, etc. the mission of the project is simple: to spread good
ideas. as news curators we have become many people's favorite news
source, in part because we do this mostly without editorializing. the
main portal to much of that material can be found here, beloved in
certain circles:

http://spectrevision.net
http://spectrevision.net/2013/12/10/price-discovery/

anyway we recently became enamored with bitcoin and added donation and
mining options to our site. so we are very excited to see your offer.
do we in fact qualify? we hope so, and would be happy to explain
ourselves further as needed. looking thru your grantees, we too are
running a non-commercial education platform like antiwar.com or khan
academy. we are a very small group of people, all doing this without
much of any financial support since well, ever, so joining this new
bitcoin economy is a somewhat exciting prospect

please let us know if theres more information you need, and thank you
for considering us

santa

-

Please contact Dmitry (Rassah) at Rassah@xnicole.com with any
questions or concerns and, moreover, if you oversee, or know of an NPO
that could use a $1,000 USD endowment from Bitcoin 100.

Bitcoin100 exists specifically to convince new charities to start
accepting bitcoin donations. Many Bitcoin enthusiasts of various
backgrounds from around the world have supported this project with
time, effort and/or bitcoins. In order to use donated funds in a
manner consistent with donor expectations, Bitcoin100 donates the
Bitcoin equivalent of $1000 to non-political, secular charities that
prominently display an option for supporters to contribute via Bitcoin
on their website.

Not sure about this one. Phinn, what questions would you ask them?
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 08:47:27 AM

Hello,

I'm the one who is suggesting www.volodalen.asso.fr above. If there are any questions maybe I can answer them.

Thanks,
Bruce
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 05:08:05 PM

Please discuss.

~TMIBTCITW

http://media.wbur.org/wordpress/11/files/2013/12/Sunday-Assembly-Mythmas_selection_1001.jpg

Honestly, it sounds a bit weird :/

Exactly what would be expected when such an entity is founded by two comedians: http://kvpr.org/post/sunday-assembly-look-organized-non-religion

Sixteen percent of people around the world say they have no religious affiliation. But even those who aren’t connected to a religion may still be looking for community.

That’s where the Sunday Assembly comes in.

In London earlier this year, stand-up comedians Pippa Evans and Sanderson Jones founded the godless congregation that they say has many of the elements of church, but without religion.

Whether weird or not, I'm still curious if they would pass muster according to the guidelines set by Bitcoin 100. If so, I would love to contact them myself. Remember, our sole goal is to bring awareness to Bitcoin.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 05:37:01 PM

Some more inquiries:

Dmitry,

My nonprofit Upaya Social Ventures is working to create dignified jobs in India's poorest slums. Our organization began accepting bitcoin a few weeks ago and a friend recently told me about Bitcoin 100. I would love the opportunity to talk about possibly including Upaya on your site - please let me know if there is any additional information from me and I will be happy to send it along.

- Steve

Steve Schwartz
Upaya Social Ventures

Dec 20 (4 days ago)

to me
Hello Rassah,

A good friend of mine runs an charity origination which support the small village of Tohoue in Benin. In a few weeks him an I will visit the village and we are going to deliver this offline Wikipedia laptop for this mini project I've been working on.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BBE_xk-ycfNM36vDjIun32v-cbwKL6Z3Lx3b0u-il5s/edit

I'm also a big fan of bitcoin and when I hear of bitcoin 100 I thought it would be a perfect way to convince my friend to accept bitcoin for his charity.

Let me know if you're interested in supporting this kind of charity. Below are some pics from Tohoue.

Thanks,
Bruce

And below is the area about sponsoring a child. I think it would be here where we could put a big option to donate with bitcoin. I would suggest to my friend to have at least two address, one for sponsoring a child and another just for maybe smaller one time donations.  

Ca fait longtemps que je n'ai pas parlé français. Avoir du plaisir en revue celui-ci, Phinneas  Grin

Hi Esther,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in DC in a group of people enthusiastic about innovative technologies that improve our society. He now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. I am also getting him in touch with over a dozen more organizations I have been connected to. I think he will really appreciate Naija Worldwide Charities.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called BitCoins (if you haven't heard of them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good for your genuine and altruistic efforts.

@Dmitry, Esther is a friend of mine with a great passion for improving lives of others. I met her in DC while seeking architectural and planning projects worth giving a helpful hand to and since then I have been collaborating with her on designing a hospital project in Nigeria. She is a passionate educator, and an inspirational leader. She founded Naija World Charities in 2008 and received national and international recognition since then.
   I know they could do a lot of good with $1,000 and I thank you kindly for your time helping out!

Good luck!

Hello Erick, Rassa,
Thanks Erik for the wonderful introduction, we do the best we can to help those less fortunate than us but it has not been easy. There are so many hurting people around the world whose lives will be improved just with a little help. We would love to be the change agent, the catalyst used in making that difference but at times it feels like our hands are tied due to funding. We work through the grassroots so we meet these people face-to-face, we eat with them sleep on their floors and listen to their stories.
Rassa, good to finally make contact with you. Erik has spoken so much about you and the wonderful work you are doing, I feel like I already know. I look forward to building on this new relationship and maybe collaborating with you in some of the programs that we do. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

And last one,

hello dmitry.

certain circles:

for considering us

santa

-

on their website.

Upaya: Let's consider another option with Steve Schwartz's cause. Since Upaya is already accepting bitcoin, let's have Steve Schwartz embed a bitcoin donation otion unto another site that he's affiliated with, namely seattlemicrofinance.org

I will get caught up on the rest later today, for at the moment there's some barn wood calling me, and it's fuckin' freezin' outside, with the wind blowin' up my pink tutu. BTW, when am I suppose to take this off?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 03:27:53 AM

Upaya: Let's consider another option with Steve Schwartz's cause. Since Upaya is already accepting bitcoin, let's have Steve Schwartz embed a bitcoin

Follow-up from Steve:

Dmitry,

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Only thing I'd say is that we're not a microlending site (or anything really like it). Rather than 1:1 loans for home businesses with limited upside, we take a stake in local start-ups rooted in poor communities that can create hundreds of jobs and provide stable income for extremely poor families.

Cheers,
Steve

Dmitry,

Sorry for the double email. I just read the post about our application and I should say that the board of Seattle Microfinance (which I was a part of) voted a year ago to close the organization down so unfortunately the suggested is not an option. I am happy to explore other ideas.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 03:37:38 AM

Hi Esther,

Good luck!

Hello Erick, Rassa,

Follow-up on this one

Esther E

Hello Rassah,
Just to let you know that I have finally set up the Bitpay account for Naija Worldwide Charities and we are now ready. Thanks for your patience, NWC really does very essential programs for the less-privileged in our communities and could use all the help it can get.

I guess soon as they add the bitcoin button to their donation page, and soon as Phinn gets to review and approve them, I'll send the money
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 03:46:46 AM

Another e-mail received:

Dear BitCoin100,

We are MAPS, a 501(c)3 non-profit research organization developing MDMA-assisted psychotherapy into a safe and legal treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). MAPS' government-approved research shows that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy can be an effective treatment for people who do not respond to traditional therapies for (PTSD). Our ongoing study in U.S. military veterans, firefighters, and police officers is halfway complete, and early results are promising.

This one passes muster.

Donation sent https://blockchain.info/tx/7fe4ff52f3b84b00c9802407e991ebaa1d56b303b6fc6fb41154f1a82dbbb8ce
Ecurb123

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 04:16:33 PM

Hey again, I'm actually going to meet up with my friend who runs this organization tomorrow, I'll speak to him about the idea of taking bitcoin, see what his thinks about it. If he's down with it, we'll need to think of what the best way to implement it.

Hello,

I'm the one who is suggesting www.volodalen.asso.fr above. If there are any questions maybe I can answer them.

Thanks,
Bruce
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 05:14:20 AM

Hi Esther,

Good luck!

Hello Erick, Rassa,

Follow-up on this one

Esther E

Hello Rassah,
Just to let you know that I have finally set up the Bitpay account for Naija Worldwide Charities and we are now ready. Thanks for your patience, NWC really does very essential programs for the less-privileged in our communities and could use all the help it can get.

I guess soon as they add the bitcoin button to their donation page, and soon as Phinn gets to review and approve them, I'll send the money

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/esther-ejim/27/952/a93

It's a go! I like them, too.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 05:28:49 AM

Hey again, I'm actually going to meet up with my friend who runs this organization tomorrow, I'll speak to him about the idea of taking bitcoin, see what his thinks about it. If he's down with it, we'll need to think of what the best way to implement it.

Hello,

Thanks,
Bruce

volodalen.asso.fr

Inaonekana faini, Rassah.  Grin Swahili
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 05:46:41 AM

Some more inquiries:

Dmitry,

- Steve

Steve Schwartz
Upaya Social Ventures

Dec 20 (4 days ago)

to me
Hello Rassah,

Thanks,
Bruce

Hi Esther,

Good luck!

Hello Erick, Rassa,

And last one,

hello dmitry.

certain circles:

for considering us

santa

-

on their website.

http://spectrevision.overblog.com/the-bitcoin-network-is-now-more-powerful-than-the-top-500-supercomputers-combined

Looks like they've been aware of Bitcoin since at least May of this year, thus probably won't qualify, sad to say.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 06:19:32 AM

Upaya

It's a stretch, albeit not a big one, and they are a deserving org, hence highly recommending that they get endowed.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Ecurb123

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:05:24 AM

Hello,

Thanks,
Bruce

volodalen.asso.fr

Inaonekana faini, Rassah.  Grin Swahili

Hey man I heard your interview on lets talk bitcoin, good interview, actually that's how I heard about bitcoin 100.

wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:38:08 PM

Am I able to nominate a non-profit to be a recipient?

http://www.theroadhome.org/

The Road Home accepts Bitcoin donations through a coinbase widget right on their donation page. On their Give link under Make a Donation, they have it split between cash donations on the left and Bitcoin on the right. They provide emergency shelter and run a winter shelter.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Ecurb123

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:22:07 PM

Hello,

Thanks,
Bruce

Hi again,

I talked to my friend and he agreed that it would be a good idea. If you guys want to support his org let me know what I can do.

Bruce
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 08:13:03 PM

Hi Esther,

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/esther-ejim/27/952/a93

It's a go! I like them, too.

~Bruno Kucinskas

$1,000 donation sent https://blockchain.info/tx/f2e3742059783f913113cd625736954eef1ab2c1f2f79ed1731c573d1a81fe1c
Pages: « 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: