Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:57:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2)  (Read 146879 times)
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 01:04:55 AM

Actually, their website still says units are gauranteed to ship within 4-6 weeks.  So BFL is saying it......

If you order it now.  Those that ordered before, as I understand, are still on target for the next week or two.  I've not heard anything one way or the other to change that... so yes, just the same old tired trolls.

Do you speak for BFL?
If not, you probably just STFU because you dont know for sure. Every order is different and you dont know which one is being filled with the first production.

I'll tell you what I do there, sparky.  I speak with more authority and knowledge than you do.  You have contributed nothing to a single thread on this forum.  Every post you make is full of vitriol, lies and bullshit.  I suggest you take your own advice and STFU.  There is not a single person here that takes you seriously, unless they have not bothered to read your previous posts. Once they read one or two, you are dismissed as the pathetic waste of human flesh that you are... I suspect you are also a complete waste of a human being in real life, but since I've never met you in real life, I can't say for sure.  But the way you acquit yourself on these forums is a strong indicator that you are unable to function in regular society.  Thankfully, I doubt it's possible for you to breed, so we don't have to worry about you procreating.

Thank you and please drive through.

Also... cocks.

I just spit my nightly cocktail all over my screen.  Hilarious.....well done sir.

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 01:26:42 AM

Actually, their website still says units are gauranteed to ship within 4-6 weeks.  So BFL is saying it......

If you order it now.  Those that ordered before, as I understand, are still on target for the next week or two.  I've not heard anything one way or the other to change that... so yes, just the same old tired trolls.

Do you speak for BFL?
If not, you probably just STFU because you dont know for sure. Every order is different and you dont know which one is being filled with the first production.

I'll tell you what I do there, sparky.  I speak with more authority and knowledge than you do.  You have contributed nothing to a single thread on this forum.  Every post you make is full of vitriol, lies and bullshit.  I suggest you take your own advice and STFU.  There is not a single person here that takes you seriously, unless they have not bothered to read your previous posts. Once they read one or two, you are dismissed as the pathetic waste of human flesh that you are... I suspect you are also a complete waste of a human being in real life, but since I've never met you in real life, I can't say for sure.  But the way you acquit yourself on these forums is a strong indicator that you are unable to function in regular society.  Thankfully, I doubt it's possible for you to breed, so we don't have to worry about you procreating.

Also... cocks.

I just spit my nightly cocktail all over my screen.  Hilarious.....well done sir.

If this thread is nothing else, it is certainly entertaining!
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 01:40:30 AM

Edit:

3x 7970s

Mining: 925/150mhz, 865mv, 354 watts

~1650mh/s

That 354 doesn't include the rest of the system, so +270 (in his excessively high case!)

With DD-WRT on my router, I could connect BFL's to that Smiley
simonk83

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 01:53:15 AM

That 354 doesn't include the rest of the system, so +270 (in his excessively high case!)

Or the crappy old laptop you have lying around.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 01:59:48 AM

With the performance and efficiency of the 7970s I don't think many are going to be jumping onto the BFL fail train.
With the GPUs you can mine and game and crack encryption but these BFL units have close to 0 resale value and you cannot game or hack with them.

Completely irrelevant.  ~200w + supporting hardware for ~650 MH/s is not anywhere close to 60 - 80w @ 800 - 1 GH/s.  You only need one or two cards to game with, the rest are completely superfluous and just power hogs.  99% of the people mining do not, will not and probably don't even know how to or why they would want to crack encryption with them.

Add to that the fact that if a competing ASIC is designed you pretty much are screwed as they become paperweights and you won't get anyone to take them off your hands.

Completely false dichotomy.  Just because a new or more efficient ASIC miner is released does not somehow cause an older miner to suddenly stop functioning or generating income.  If someone else were to release a 1.2 GH/s unit for roughly the same price as the BFL unit a month later, do the BFL units suddenly stop producing 800 MH/s?  No... they continue to mine.
but you could sell them off in case bitcoin crashed. it's all about resale value + risk management

3x7970 (+PC hardware $350):
1650MH/s  $2000  635W

2xBFL:
1664MH/s  $1200  160W

Yeah, who'd want a BFL???

only problem is, you can get a 58xx, 69xx, and a 79xx now, rather than 6-8 weeks™.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:00:23 AM

Although I do have an old crappy laptop, think I'd prefer the router. Less power, on all the time already and doesn't have noisy fan. Doesn't even have a fan at all!
simonk83

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:19:51 AM

Although I do have an old crappy laptop, think I'd prefer the router. Less power, on all the time already and doesn't have noisy fan. Doesn't even have a fan at all!

For sure Smiley  My PC's on 24/7 anyway for media serving, so I may as well just whack them in that Smiley
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:20:19 AM

How's that?  Tell us more ....

P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:33:34 AM

Linux on a router sir?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Obviously you need a capable router.

See also:
http://tomatousb.org/
https://openwrt.org/
...and there are others.

It wouldn't exactly be trivial to cross-compile the miners to the router, but not impossible. I should be able to do it (it is part of my job Smiley )
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:36:19 AM

These are being marketed on their website for applications other than bitcoin mining, although it is very specifically targeted at bitcoin right now it seems. But since it supposedly can do other tasks, I am figuring that it could have resale value even if bitcoin crashed and burned. I would be very interested though in what else it can actually do with a different bitstream, since the actual applications are limited by having only a USB connection. As I have mentioned before, it looks like it would be perfect for a tiny portable WPA crack-in-a-box. Grin Wonder how much of an OS the little supporting chip could run.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:38:58 AM

Linux on a router sir?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Obviously you need a capable router.

See also:
http://tomatousb.org/
https://openwrt.org/
...and there are others.

It wouldn't exactly be trivial to cross-compile the miners to the router, but not impossible. I should be able to do it (it is part of my job Smiley )
My only doubt is that the router might be a little underpowered for the task. Apparently these devices require an application to poll the USB port very often, which sounds like it could be resource intensive on a little router. I suppose you would only need to look at the sources for ufasoft and cgminer to see how it works, and then make a determination based on that.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:46:31 AM

Hmm, maybe.
My Asus RT-N16 has 128MB RAM and 480MHz processor. It currently acts as my media server (has an old 320GB laptop HDD attached) and has no problem with that at all. They're pretty nifty devices Smiley
fred0

Activity: 349

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 03:19:20 AM

Hmm, maybe.
My Asus RT-N16 has 128MB RAM and 480MHz processor. It currently acts as my media server (has an old 320GB laptop HDD attached) and has no problem with that at all. They're pretty nifty devices Smiley
This sounds interesting.  Personally, I would want a miner like cgminer running so I can handle a group of say 10 singles with failover support. This seems like a lot of work when a netbook or mini-bookshelf system would do easily.
P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 05:28:20 AM

This sounds interesting.  Personally, I would want a miner like cgminer running so I can handle a group of say 10 singles with failover support. This seems like a lot of work when a netbook or mini-bookshelf system would do easily.

Oh absolutely. Everyone knows what solution is best for themselves.

I would compile cgminer for the router... getting the RPC functionality with it Smiley
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 10:29:01 AM

These are being marketed on their website for applications other than bitcoin mining, although it is very specifically targeted at bitcoin right now it seems. But since it supposedly can do other tasks, I am figuring that it could have resale value even if bitcoin crashed and burned. I would be very interested though in what else it can actually do with a different bitstream, since the actual applications are limited by having only a USB connection. As I have mentioned before, it looks like it would be perfect for a tiny portable WPA crack-in-a-box. Grin Wonder how much of an OS the little supporting chip could run.

That.

Unless the scammers tell us what the chip behind the heatsink is, we will never know.

Strange they are only pushing it for us and not for other applications.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 12:12:18 PM

Hmm, maybe.

I've been following the dd-wrt and open-wrt for years now. Though, as of late I have not kept up on it much. It has gotten a LOT closer to allowing these newer routers to function as a capable 'PC'.

Last time I read anything there was just coming out USB support for printers and very limited b-linux functionality. The specs on your's are quite impressive and being able to hook a 320GB HDD is awesome as well. Do you know if it has any addressing limitations for the USB? I.E., how many USB devices can it support?

The only catch I see, which in no way detracts from the coolness, geek and flexibility factors. Is that if you have the computer to get the router all setup from then you already have a computer to just plug FPGA's into. Though there are obvious benefits in having a super small, efficient box that can be placed in a corner some place with the FPGA's plugged in and pretty much forget about it. Slap a small cron job on their to report the devices status every so often and one to restart them under certain flags and one would be all set.

Do please keep us informed if you work on getting FPGA(s) running on yours, m8.

Cheers

P.S.  BFL, any public updates on the status of the current modifications and first production units?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Do you speak for BFL?

Also... cocks.

U mad?

Yeah more authority and knowledge my fcking ass. Your attempt of insulting is rather amusing, i bet you're the shit in junior high.

Your post answered my comment perfectly. You cant STFU, i know how much you love cocks,

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:31:54 PM

U mad?

Yeah more authority and knowledge my fcking ass. Your attempt of insulting is rather amusing, i bet you're the shit in junior high.

Your post answered my comment perfectly. You cant STFU, i know how much you love cocks,
Would you mind please contributing positively for once? Although slightly offtopic, we had a nice discussion about supporting hardware that is ripe for some input. And you decide to barge in and say ITS ALL INVALID BECAUSE I CANT DO ANYTHING EXCEPT SPOUT MY OWN OPINION BLAH BLAH BLAH. I would rather hear stuff that appears to be a voice of reason, stating useful facts and contributing to a decent atmosphere instead of pissing in the pool.

For my positive contribution, this is the item that I am looking at to be my little controller, in case I happen to come across a farm of Singles Grin http://www.e-itx.com/artigo-a1150.html It is a dual-core Via processor that is fully x86-64 compatible, in an awesome little enclosure. Comes with 4 USB ports, and has internal headers for more, as well as numerous expansion options. Not too expensive either!

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:46:15 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2012, 06:56:45 PM by sadpandatech

For my positive contribution, this is the item that I am looking at to be my little controller, in case I happen to come across a farm of Singles Grin http://www.e-itx.com/artigo-a1150.html It is a dual-core Via processor that is fully x86-64 compatible, in an awesome little enclosure. Comes with 4 USB ports, and has internal headers for more, as well as numerous expansion options. Not too expensive either!

Those are pretty friggin cool! And new to me.  I quickly eyeballed this one; http://www.e-itx.com/ve900-acd2.html  It has the benefits of being slightly cheaper, inlcudes ram and ssd. Buttt, is lacking a lot of the features your posted one includes. Most importantly, there are no(?) included peripheral ports, namely USB, rj-45, etc. :/  Oh well, I will go get some coffee and browse through some more. Thanks for sharing it!!

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:58:40 PM

Those are pretty friggin cool! And new to me.  I quickly eyeballed this one; http://www.e-itx.com/ve900-acd2.html  It has the benefits of being slightly cheaper, inlcudes ram and ssd. Buttt, is lacking a lot of the features your posted one includes. Most importantly, there are no(?) included peripheral ports, namely USB, rj-45, etc. :/  Oh well, I will go get some coffee and brwose through some more. Thanks for sharing it!!

cheers
If you are into building your own enclosures, the Pico-itx motherboards are available bare, as well. The single core version of that is the P830, and the P900 is a drop-in replacement for it - same pinouts etc. Other versions are not fully x86 compatible, or don't support enough memory for larger OSes, but they are cheaper and lower power too.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »
  Print  

Jump to: