Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH  (Read 22307 times)
mykior

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2022, 05:33:55 PM

Hi guys,

Unfortunately one of the compac f sticks i recently received is no longer coming up in cgminer, it says "zombie".
If i remove it from the bitcoinmerch hub and plug it in a little later the stick comes of for 30 seconds but eventually winds down an zombies agiain.
Eventually it says "off"

Is it dead? Sad

I've tried low frequencies and higher ones, i've tried adjusting the pot screw.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I am having the same issue with one of my Compac F's; I had been using it in the bitcoin merch 3.0 USB hub (bad idea I take it after going through this thread a bit), but the issue is still happening with the Compac F in my official GekkoScience hub.

I currently have 6 Compac F's and 1 Newpac, all of which have been working fine for a few months save now the single Compac F that won't work no matter what I try (and I've now been trying to just run them all in the GekkoScience Hub as it has 7 ports + the fan port...)

At first cgminer would recognize it no problem as well, but it started going into "Zombie" mode right away. Now, however, cgminer won't even recognize the problem compac F at all to even list it as a Zombie.

Is there anything I can do to try and trouble shoot it or such? It was working no problem for a couple months before this started happening a couple weeks ago :/ I've been running them all on either ckpool solo or a pool since getting them in October/November without issue, and I've (maybe stupidly) never overclocked any of them, all running with two USB fans to cool them as well whole time.

Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4522
Merit: 1844

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 18, 2022, 11:15:21 PM

@Sidehack: I will not buy a product anymore wich is not able to fullfill the BASIC task, mining on your own wallet.
Then you can't buy miners, they all run old versions of cgminer that core broke Tongue

I have higher priorities at the moment (as I already mentioned)

It's on the todo list, however,
you spend your time solo mining on a pool run by someone who has lost 5 blocks for their miners.
Ranting about me not providing you with free software updates soon enough only makes me prioritise the change further down on the todo list.
I don't make money out of any of this.

To be blunt, it isn't an important change either, since it gives most people the completely wrong impression that solo mining to your own wallet is a good idea.
It's not. It's a BAD idea.
Solo mining to your own wallet has a MUCH higher risk of losing a block.
You need a worldwide fast block distribution setup to reduce the probability of orphaned and stale blocks i.e. of losing your block if you ever find one (... that the pool you mine on also does not have a worldwide fast block distribution setup)
... and even your node on that pool increases that risk for miners on that pool who use your node ... and gives people a false impression that mining to your node is better for them, which it isn't since you don't have it setup to submit blocks with the work running through it.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
jack1cryptotalk007

Activity: 60
Merit: 20

View Profile
January 19, 2022, 12:32:42 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2022, 01:01:57 AM by jack1cryptotalk007

To be blunt, it isn't an important change either, since it gives most people the completely wrong impression that solo mining to your own wallet is a good idea.

I agree the above opinnion.

I print out some details of transactions in block headers from bitcoin core. I found bitcoin core has an major problems that it sometime provide fewer transactions (eg. 10 transactions) included in getblocktemplete return message. So, the block headers from the bitcoin core may be wrong sometime, I believe. But, solo miners couldn't do anything with bitcoin core in regarding the numbers of transactions included. This is a key issue for bitcoin core to be used for small solo miner independent mining action.

I believe that bitcoin core with cgminer in gbt_solo mode, solo miners will get a big risk in reliability issue of block headers. eg. your block header got only 10 trans, others got 300 trans.  This may be a problem for equal opportunity right in bitcoin network???

The bitcoin core may be usable for running your own wallet without realtime reliability issue. But, it is not purpose for yourself solo miner's mining.

I heard some pools can get all transactions packed and just wait for previous block hash coming in. Then, their block headers is formed. Much quick. Or if a pool resolved a block, and delay submit, and form a new block, and hashing it out. So, a block is resolved in few seconds from the same pools which often been seen. It is rare chance to resolve a block with a nonce. But, it is even hard to find second nonce for the same block. So, often, saw a block would not be solved for longer time, then, suddenly, few blocks are solved in next few minutes. It is funny thing in bitcoin mining. Or corruption? Or equal opportunity right? Only USA government can address these issue?
Sledge0001

Activity: 595
Merit: 152

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2022, 01:57:25 AM

@sidehack

Is there a service center where we can send miners for repair?
o_solo_miner
Legendary

Activity: 2469
Merit: 1477

-> morgen, ist heute, schon gestern <-

View Profile
January 23, 2022, 10:45:46 AM

@Sidehack: I will not buy a product anymore wich is not able to fullfill the BASIC task, mining on your own wallet.
Then you can't buy miners, they all run old versions of cgminer that core broke Tongue
That is true, but no excuse to anybody to do the same.
Canaan is the one who will not break the license or the function.

I have higher priorities at the moment (as I already mentioned)
It's on the todo list, however,
Fine, and thank you again for doing it.

Ranting about me not providing you with free software updates soon enough only makes me prioritise the change further down on the todo list.
I don't make money out of any of this.
I do not demand or forcing you to do anything you don't want.
You where the second main developer of cgminer and now you are the only one.
I wrote allready that I am happy that you continue cgminer for the public.
I never expected that you reduce the function of cgminer on purpose, and I still think that it was not that importend for you, and you want the
version for sidehack out, so he can sell his product.

you spend your time solo mining on a pool run by someone who has lost 5 blocks for their miners.
This is another topic wich should be discussed, but better in a sepperate thread and not in sidehacks mining hardware thread.

You need a worldwide fast block distribution setup to reduce the probability of orphaned and stale blocks i.e. of losing your block if you ever find one (... that the pool you mine on also does not have a worldwide fast block distribution setup)
... and even your node on that pool increases that risk for miners on that pool who use your node ... and gives people a false impression that mining to your node is better for them, which it isn't since you don't have it setup to submit blocks with the work running through it.
I did not say that it is a good idea to solo mine, you often told the cons of doing so.
But it is a huge differnce, having the choice to solo mine or not and instead getting forced to use a pool.
This is not what bitcoin stands for.
Sidehacks Ferrari is a perfect miner for solo mining, as you will never get a roi if you mine on a pool, doesen't matter if the energy is free and the pool fee is 0%.
So having this functionality is vital for this product.

from the creator of CGMiner http://solo.ckpool.org for Solominers
paused: passthrough for solo.ckpool.org => stratum+tcp://rfpool.org:3334
orbit887

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 23, 2022, 07:58:58 PM

Does this version (Cgminer 4.12) not support local solo mining?  (i.e. CHTA or NENG)

NENG is script not SHA-256 so won't be able to run on that coin.

Currently with CHTA I've only been able to have it running when pointing towards a pool, haven't been able to get it solo mining yet - so am another from the CHTA community patiently waiting for the future update which would hopefully allow this!
Raezur

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 23, 2022, 10:24:17 PM

Getting a COMPAC F soon in the mail after waiting 2 months for supplies to replenish... looking to solo mine CHTA during resets with Cgminer 4.12... although it looks like I will be on a pool until solo mining is supported for either Ubuntu or Windoze...

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 23, 2022, 10:59:40 PM

Getting a COMPAC F soon in the mail after waiting 2 months for supplies to replenish... looking to solo mine CHTA during resets with Cgminer 4.12... although it looks like I will be on a pool until solo mining is supported for either Ubuntu or Windoze...

If you want to solo mine you should mine to a good quality and well connected solo pool and then failover to your local Bitcoind or whatever coin your using.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2603

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 23, 2022, 11:03:47 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2022, 01:24:40 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Glad yer finally getting yer Compac-F Cheesy

Choice of OS is irrelevant. Core is what 'broke' solo mining Bitcoin - not cgminer. AFAIK, Kano's update to 4.21 did not change anything related to it. The main issue started when Stratum was introduced and yes, by default cgminer has required using Stratum for several years now.

However, considering that Kano is the 1 remaining original developer of cgminer who still actively supports it and he has ZERO interest in supporting any crapcoin forks do not expect him to 'fix' the solo mining-to-your-own-node issue just so you can mine a sha256 alt. As for mining BTC to your own node - terrible idea. Kano's views on it are well known so again, do not expect him to be addressing that particular non-issue anytime soon Wink

That said, altcoins have their own areas in the Forum - use them. This area deals exclusively with Bitcoin. The cgminer 4.12 source code is freely available so if someone in the altcoin sections is up to it, ask them about making a fork for it.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
werweisswarum

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 24, 2022, 07:41:08 AM

I gotcha. no worries. Im def not complaining. These Ferraris are awesome!

Since i got the Gekko hub I ramped them up (incrementally) to 550mhz.  3 were getting about 360ghs, and 1 was at 340.  Which is still amazing.

and I did dial back the volt screw. but then it only got up to 520mhz.  so i turned back up a bit, but not as much as I had before.  its back to 550mhz,  and 340ghs.  So it's all good.

If only I could find more gekko hubs, Id buy some more. There is a guy in Germany selling 2 hubs on Ebay for like 1500 Euros ($1700) +$160 shipping.  I offered him $500, and he told me to go F myself  ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯   hopefully there in stock again soon.

ja der typ is echt nich ganz dicht ... lol
Aonc

Merit: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 04:42:04 AM
Merited by NeuroticFish (1)

I'm new to the forum and I didn't know the compact f, I thought it was amazing, I mine with gpu at the moment.
I would like to know if with compact f I can mine other SHA256 coins?
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 12:54:29 PM

I'm new to the forum and I didn't know the compact f, I thought it was amazing, I mine with gpu at the moment.

Should do no problem

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Aonc

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 01:06:09 PM

Should do no problem

Thanks.
I just need the compact F and a USB hub to get started correct? In addition to having a computer. I did a little research and it's hard to find compact f to buy.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 03:32:50 PM

Should do no problem

Thanks.
I just need the compact F and a USB hub to get started correct? In addition to having a computer. I did a little research and it's hard to find compact f to buy.
Be aware that the hub MUST be able to supply at least 2.1A to the port the stick is plugged into. If you OC the F you will need up to 3.2A or more. A hub saying it it has 7 ports and can 'supply 60W' means that is total across ALL ports. Odds are any 1-port is limited to 2a or less...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5829

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2022, 04:13:59 PM
Merited by NeuroticFish (3)

Should do no problem

Thanks.
Be aware that the hub MUST be able to supply at least 2.1A to the port the stick is plugged into. If you OC the F you will need up to 3.2A or more. A hub saying it it has 7 ports and can 'supply 60W' means that is total across ALL ports. Odds are any 1-port is limited to 2a or less...
It's also important considering some ports don't just hand out the advertised 2.1 or 2.4A by default, but only if the device communicates it (which mining sticks don't) that it can handle that current.

In my experience, even for achieving advertised 300GH/s a stick actually requires more than 2.4 amps. Not sure which hashrate is considered 'OC' and what is base hashrate. One of my sticks (other is out of service rn) runs at 500MHz, 300GH/s, 2.7A on GekkoScience hub.

It appears to me that these other hubs were maybe good for NewPac, 2Pac etc., but Ferrari really needs the big boi GekkoScience hub. There are no other products that just deliver 3A or more without 'being asked'.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Aonc

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 08:45:42 PM

Should do no problem

Thanks.
It's also important considering some ports don't just hand out the advertised 2.1 or 2.4A by default, but only if the device communicates it (which mining sticks don't) that it can handle that current.

In my experience, even for achieving advertised 300GH/s a stick actually requires more than 2.4 amps. Not sure which hashrate is considered 'OC' and what is base hashrate. One of my sticks (other is out of service rn) runs at 500MHz, 300GH/s, 2.7A on GekkoScience hub.

It appears to me that these other hubs were maybe good for NewPac, 2Pac etc., but Ferrari really needs the big boi GekkoScience hub. There are no other products that just deliver 3A or more without 'being asked'.

Thanks for the answers.
My idea is to actually use it with Gekkoscience hub, I have some doubts about how to use it because this product is new to me, I only use gpu at the moment, I would like to use it to mine alph or toncoin because both are sha256 but I don't know if I need another software or cgminer is suitable. It's hard to find the compac f, do you recommend a reliable store?
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5829

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2022, 09:19:20 PM

Thanks for the answers.
My idea is to actually use it with Gekkoscience hub, I have some doubts about how to use it because this product is new to me, I only use gpu at the moment, I would like to use it to mine alph or toncoin because both are sha256 but I don't know if I need another software or cgminer is suitable.
Do as you wish, but I'd just mine Bitcoin, otherwise you will sooner or later need to sell an unknown coin for BTC or USD and they're often not present on larger / trustable exchanges. I don't think cgminer would work with other coins. You will need to ask the devs / communities of those coins what software to use. What's clear is that kano won't put any time into adding other coins to cgminer.

It's hard to find the compac f, do you recommend a reliable store?
Seriously? The official sellers are in the start post.

Resellers are all the usual suspects. 419Mining, ASICPuppy and BitcoinMerch are stocking in the US. Bitshopper.de is selling in Germany, and Eyeboot.com will have stock in Hong Kong. MineFarmBuy is also interested but are a broker, not a reseller, so you'll have to talk to them to figure it out.
https://www.419mining.com/shop/miners/gekkoscience-compac-f/
https://asicpuppy.com/magentoPuppy/index.php/gekko-usb-300gh-s.html
https://bitcoinmerch.com/products/3-x-gekkoscience-compac-f-with-fan-upgrade-bitcoin-merch%C2%AE-7-port-usb-hub-combo-up-to-1-05th-s

If you're outside US, you need to import since the other sellers appear out of stock, as of Jan 25th, 2022.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Aonc

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 09:29:32 PM

Thanks for the answers.
My idea is to actually use it with Gekkoscience hub, I have some doubts about how to use it because this product is new to me, I only use gpu at the moment, I would like to use it to mine alph or toncoin because both are sha256 but I don't know if I need another software or cgminer is suitable.
Do as you wish, but I'd just mine Bitcoin, otherwise you will sooner or later need to sell an unknown coin for BTC or USD and they're often not present on larger / trustable exchanges. I don't think cgminer would work with other coins. You will need to ask the devs / communities of those coins what software to use. What's clear is that kano won't put any time into adding other coins to cgminer.

It's hard to find the compac f, do you recommend a reliable store?
Seriously? The official sellers are in the start post.

Resellers are all the usual suspects. 419Mining, ASICPuppy and BitcoinMerch are stocking in the US. Bitshopper.de is selling in Germany, and Eyeboot.com will have stock in Hong Kong. MineFarmBuy is also interested but are a broker, not a reseller, so you'll have to talk to them to figure it out.
https://www.419mining.com/shop/miners/gekkoscience-compac-f/
https://asicpuppy.com/magentoPuppy/index.php/gekko-usb-300gh-s.html
https://bitcoinmerch.com/products/3-x-gekkoscience-compac-f-with-fan-upgrade-bitcoin-merch%C2%AE-7-port-usb-hub-combo-up-to-1-05th-s

If you're outside US, you need to import since the other sellers appear out of stock, as of Jan 25th, 2022.

I'll look for a software option so.

I know there are few exchanges for them but 300ghz on them would be amazing.

I have seen the official sellers but they are out of stock.
 I'm in Brazil.

Thank you one more time.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 11:31:27 PM
Merited by n0nce (1)

Discussion of altcoins belongs in the altcoin areas...
That said, any sha256 coin that needs 'special' software aka a coin or pool-specific fork of cgminer could be a problem. The F's REQUIRE. the driver that Kano put into v4.12 - if the special software is based on an earlier version of cgminer then the folks who wrote it need to update their fork.

If the coin can just be mined by pointing at their address and either entering your User name or a coin wallet address then yer all set. Just fire up cgminer and do it/

Aonc

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 11:53:23 PM

Discussion of altcoins belongs in the altcoin areas...
That said, any sha256 coin that needs 'special' software aka a coin or pool-specific fork of cgminer could be a problem. The F's REQUIRE. the driver that Kano put into v4.12 - if the special software is based on an earlier version of cgminer then the folks who wrote it need to update their fork.

If the coin can just be mined by pointing at their address and either entering your User name or a coin wallet address then yer all set. Just fire up cgminer and do it/

Understand.
Sorry if I veered off topic, just trying to find out if it works on any SHA256 before buying.
 Thanks
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: