Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:44:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 [1208] 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667150 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:22:08 PM

sound like a bad joke but looks like everyone on polo needs to register lol Shocked

we need a new xmr exchange i think

Yup rip Poloniex, I'm moving all my funds asap off this irs watchdog...

This is so insane... please elaborate on the legality of this for a crypto exchange?  

Didn't Poloniex just take a quantum leap into a whole new world of regulation?  Is it US based?

Yes Poloniex has always been open about being US based.

Can someone summarize what has actually happened?

Offering margin trading so now people have a couple days to comply with KYC rules (identity information most likely drivers license and utility bill) or risk potentially having their funds frozen. At least this is what I have gathered thus far. I'm sure it will be done similar to what Bitfinex did iirc.

Pretty much that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:24:05 PM

Offering margin trading so now people have a couple days to comply with KYC rules (identity information most likely drivers license and utility bill) or risk potentially having their funds frozen. At least this is what I have gathered thus far. I'm sure it will be done similar to what Bitfinex did iirc.

I logged in and did not find anything related to KYC requirements. Where is this information from?

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:25:06 PM

I logged in and did not find anything related to KYC requirements. Where is this information from?

go to your balance and/or profile

i find it very sketchy too

https://poloniex.com/terms/

XMR Monero
ungchy

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:25:54 PM

Go there:
https://poloniex.com/profile
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:32:12 PM

11. (AML) Anti-Money Laundering & (KYC) Know Your Customer Policy

Poloniex protects itself from involvement in any activity that facilitates money laundering or other criminal activities by following the FinCEN guidance for MSB’s operating in the United States.

Poloniex aims to reasonably identify each user by cross-checking user data against governmental watch lists such as OFAC, as well as 3rd party identity verification and authentication services. If a user or a user’s transaction is flagged as suspicious through our internal controls, Poloniex will require additional proof of identification from the user and has the right to not permit any trades, deposits, and/or withdrawals until additional and verifiable proof of identity is received and the Compliance Officer has approved the user for use of the Platform.

By agreeing to our Terms, you acknowledge and understand that Poloniex maintains verification levels which require user participation and verification in order to obtain, with leveled permissions based on user-supplied information, our ability to verify it, and our internal policies. You accept that you may not be able to achieve a desired level of verification, and Poloniex reserves the right to determine, at its sole discretion, the appropriate Verification Level for any user, as well as the right to downgrade users without prior notice. Poloniex may, from time to time, implement policies restricting Verification Levels by nationality, country of residence, or any other factor. This may affect your ability to withdraw funds in your account and you indemnify Poloniex against any losses associated with an inability to deposit and/or withdraw funds based on your verification level.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:33:49 PM

Yeah, the biggest takeaway is the bolded:

10. BSA / FinCEN
Poloniex is registered with FinCEN as an MSB (Money Services Business), registration number 31000055869515. Poloniex may be required to file details of account activity to this organization from time to time.

Poloniex protects itself from involvement in any activity that facilitates money laundering or other criminal activities by following the FinCEN guidance for MSB’s operating in the United States.

Poloniex aims to reasonably identify each user by cross-checking user data against governmental watch lists such as OFAC, as well as 3rd party identity verification and authentication services. If a user or a user’s transaction is flagged as suspicious through our internal controls, Poloniex will require additional proof of identification from the user and has the right to not permit any trades, deposits, and/or withdrawals until additional and verifiable proof of identity is received and the Compliance Officer has approved the user for use of the Platform.

By agreeing to our Terms, you acknowledge and understand that Poloniex maintains verification levels which require user participation and verification in order to obtain, with leveled permissions based on user-supplied information, our ability to verify it, and our internal policies. You accept that you may not be able to achieve a desired level of verification, and Poloniex reserves the right to determine, at its sole discretion, the appropriate Verification Level for any user, as well as the right to downgrade users without prior notice. Poloniex may, from time to time, implement policies restricting Verification Levels by nationality, country of residence, or any other factor. This may affect your ability to withdraw funds in your account and you indemnify Poloniex against any losses associated with an inability to deposit and/or withdraw funds based on your verification level.

How this will ultimately affect the XMR markets as Polo is the primary exchange it's traded on is yet to be seen. Obviously, people focused on privacy may very well opt not to comply and no longer use the exchange. This would result in less XMR and BTC on the exchange.
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:34:03 PM

Gives me the heebie jeebies. No thank you to that nonsense.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Burninj
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:34:25 PM

So, any idea where to trade xmr now?
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:35:00 PM

sound like a bad joke but looks like everyone on polo needs to register lol Shocked

we need a new xmr exchange i think

Yup rip Poloniex, I'm moving all my funds asap off this irs watchdog...

This is so insane... please elaborate on the legality of this for a crypto exchange?  

Didn't Poloniex just take a quantum leap into a whole new world of regulation?  Is it US based?

Yes Poloniex has always been open about being US based.

Can someone summarize what has actually happened?

They enabled margin trading and lending, similar to bitfinex. Along with that they asked everyone for "Level 1" verification, where they ask for your first and last name and country of origin. I do not know if they have any checks (IP for example) to verify the information you enter. They have no present way of verifying your name, as far as I know.

This is for withdrawing up to $2,000 daily; for greater amounts, they require more verification (address, etc). You can see this here: https://poloniex.com/profile

It should be noted that Poloniex is US-based.

I think this news is "ok" for XMR, but we need an "anonymous" exchange (with volume) in addition to Polo now.
Bassica

Activity: 283

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:36:21 PM

Mr. Voorhees will be delighted.

And let's go xmr.from
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:37:17 PM

Welp, you're already seeing the effect thus far.
G2M

Activity: 280

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:38:40 PM

They enabled margin trading and lending, similar to bitfinex. Along with that they asked everyone for "Level 1" verification, where they ask for your first and last name and country of origin. I do not know if they have any checks (IP for example) to verify the information you enter. They have no present way of verifying your name, as far as I know.

This is for withdrawing up to $2,000 daily; for greater amounts, they require more verification (address, etc). You can see this here: https://poloniex.com/profile

It should be noted that Poloniex is US-based.

I think this news is "ok" for XMR, but we now need an "anonymous" exchange (with volume) in addition to Polo now.

hehe I'm smelling a bet here:
6. MARGIN TRADING

Margin trading on Poloniex is HIGH RISK. You may sustain a total loss of funds, or owe money beyond what you have deposited to your Account. The high volatility and substantial risk of illiquidity in markets means that you may not always be able to liquidate your position.

If the value of the assets in your Account falls below the maintenance margin requirement or Poloniex determines, at its sole discretion, that your Account appears to be in danger of defaulting on a loan, Poloniex may seize and liquidate any or all of your positions and assets on any balance in your Account in order to settle your debt to lenders. If, after your positions and assets are liquidated, your account still contains insufficient funds to settle your debts to lenders, you will be responsible for any additional funds owed. Intentionally defaulting on a loan may result in Poloniex reporting your activities to authorities and/or in legal prosecution.

Although Poloniex takes several precautions to prevent a user from defaulting on a loan, the high volatility and substantial risk of illiquidity in markets means that Poloniex cannot make any guarantees against default. When you lend to other users using the Platform’s P2P lending system, you risk the loss of an unpaid principle if the borrower defaults on a loan and liquidation of the borrower's account fails to raise sufficient funds to cover his or her debt.

All trading, margin trading, lending, and/or borrowing is conducted by Users, and Poloniex does not take any responsibility for any loss or damage incurred as a result of your use of any services Poloniex provides or your failure to understand the risks involved in your use of such services.
Next question is obviously whether or not you can withdraw lent xmr with a level 1 verification..

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:40:44 PM

Bids just dropping like flies. About 34-35k sold thus far.
Bassica

Activity: 283

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:43:11 PM

Bids just dropping like flies.

As are marketsells
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:46:17 PM

I think the biggest takeaway from all this is now to find a new home for XMR trading. There is the possibility of moving to Bittrex but again, they are US-based and it will most likely be a situation where it is only a matter of time before similar things happen there. There is a very real possibility that there won't be much of a market until a new exchange is established. I'm sure there will be a substantial amount of users looking at withdrawaling what coins they have there (that applies to all alts). For what it's worth, there's still about 80k worth of buy support above .002 so for those that don't want to chance potential illiquidity, there's the ability to get back into BTC. People ultimately need to decide for themselves how comfortable they feel in the interim if there isn't much liquidity post-KYC exodus. And I'm merely speculating that will be the case given the background that XMR-users are coming from.
celestio

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:46:59 PM

Hmm, so you need to register your identity to even Withdraw your coins?

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:52:49 PM

I think the biggest takeaway from all this is now to find a new home for XMR trading. There is the possibility of moving to Bittrex but again, they are US-based and it will most likely be a situation where it is only a matter of time before similar things happen there. There is a very real possibility that there won't be much of a market until a new exchange is established. I'm sure there will be a substantial amount of users looking at withdrawaling what coins they have there.

I'm trading (actually just buying) on bittrex for a while only because of this: https://bittrex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204310644
americanpegasus

Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:56:51 PM

I think the biggest takeaway from all this is now to find a new home for XMR trading. There is the possibility of moving to Bittrex but again, they are US-based and it will most likely be a situation where it is only a matter of time before similar things happen there. There is a very real possibility that there won't be much of a market until a new exchange is established. I'm sure there will be a substantial amount of users looking at withdrawaling what coins they have there (that applies to all alts). For what it's worth, there's still about 80k worth of buy support above .002 so for those that don't want to chance potential illiquidity, there's the ability to get back into BTC. People ultimately need to decide for themselves how comfortable they feel in the interim if there isn't much liquidity post-KYC exodus. And I'm merely speculating that will be the case given the background that XMR-users are coming from.

Mmmm....  Blood in the streets....

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
celestio

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 10:03:50 PM

Oh it's not that bad. All I had to do was put in a phone #, it could be temporary, and address and you can withdraw.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 10:19:21 PM

Oh it's not that bad. All I had to do was put in a phone #, it could be temporary, and address and you can withdraw.

i just dont like all that talk about crosschecking us against databases. gives me the creeps. ill just use shapeshift.io if i want to buy more in future.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Pages: « 1 ... 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 [1208] 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: