Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:36:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 [1096] 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669728 times)
xmrnoob

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 12:23:10 PM

"Monero groups all transactions with everyone else who transacted on that block through what is called ‘ring signatures’, and obscures where the coins came from and went, by forcing them to become a part of a group of transactions. This promises a high level of anonymity. Monero is also enjoying a healthy increase in value in recent weeks."

Thats a honest misunderstanding I would say, its technically incorrect but thats how [bit looks[/b] from outside Wink

Agree, its a common misconception. Ultimately, unless you get into the technical details it gives more of less the right idea. Occasionally someone will ask what happens if there aren't enough transactions in a block or something like that, at which point we explain more accurately how it actually works.

Also occasionally, instead of someone asking that, they will just think to themselves "so it depends on other transactions being present in each block", and go away feeling uneasy about the design of the whole thing.

In other words, not a "simplification" to be encouraged.
xmrnoob

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 12:34:04 PM

I just got up and went to check sync progress for my first ever Monero sync.

The xterm in which I had launched monerod in the foreground had the following output at the end:

2015-Mar-29 06:43:34.867898 [P2P3][46.166.188.212:14630 INC]Sync data returned unknown top block: 354494 -> 496973 [142479 blocks (98 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started
Killed

So I look in syslog and find a load of stuff about being out of memory:

Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.385984]  [<ffffffff8216d68d>] out_of_memory+0x4cd/0x510
Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.386247] Out of memory: Kill process 7956 (bitmonerod) score 641 or sacrifice child
Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.386249] Killed process 7956 (bitmonerod) total-vm:6039844kB, anon-rss:5153036kB, file-rss:0kB

This is on my workstation with 8 GiB RAM.  Is this a known issue?
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 12:48:57 PM

Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.385984]  [<ffffffff8216d68d>] out_of_memory+0x4cd/0x510
Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.386247] Out of memory: Kill process 7956 (bitmonerod) score 641 or sacrifice child
Mar 29 06:44:04 rosti kernel: [12411960.386249] Killed process 7956 (bitmonerod) total-vm:6039844kB, anon-rss:5153036kB, file-rss:0kB

This is on my workstation with 8 GiB RAM.  Is this a known issue?

Yes. If you don't have enough memory backing, the kernel will kill (almost) whatever process it thinks will help get the system best. Since bitmonerod is a hog, it's often the sacrifice choice. Firefox is also a good one. You may want to temporarily stop memory hungry processes while bitmonerod is running.

To avoid that, you can increase swap (or add some if you don't have any), or overcommit memory.

Some details and instructions:

https://forum.getmonero.org/5/support/74/increase-swap-space-for-blockchain
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 12:59:30 PM

Just use the blockchain branch:

https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/blockchain

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:01:33 PM

My first cross post but I'd really like some input from any of your regarding my question about buying a cheaper smart phone for spending BTC (and Monero).
I didn't mention Monero in the thread as that just crossed my mind. Having the ability at least makes it possible, when you go the shops and such
that do except BTC. I guess I need to consider the O.S. should Monero put out a wallet app for smart phones.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1006244.new#new

Appreciated,
Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
xmrnoob

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:41:19 PM

Yes. If you don't have enough memory backing, the kernel will kill (almost) whatever process it thinks will help get the system best. Since bitmonerod is a hog, it's often the sacrifice choice. Firefox is also a good one. You may want to temporarily stop memory hungry processes while bitmonerod is running.

Thanks.  I was familiar with the concept of an OOM killer.  I'm a newb at Monero, not Unix / Linux.  So I was really asking if bitmonerod was expected to be a memory hog.

Holy shit, it keeps the **whole blockchain** in memory!  This software is even more primitive than I thought.

I didn't have any swap as I didn't want to wear out my laptop's SSD.  I've now added a 2TB USB3 disk as encrypted swap while I'm playing with Monero.

othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:48:28 PM

Dude, i linked you the branch that uses a Database and it eats only a very small amount of RAM and has been mentioned a hundred times at least in this thread Wink

xmrnoob

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:53:35 PM

thanks for this.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 02:51:06 PM

It is not a Bitcoin clone, and the wallet is only officially available via command line – no graphical user interface is available for this piece of technology yet.

lol, why do they have to mention it doesn't have a GUI? How come this is always so important.
Shouldn't the privacy features be more important in a article such as this one?

Its comical with the GUI wallet.  That's all anyone ever picks on.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5030

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 02:52:38 PM

It is not a Bitcoin clone, and the wallet is only officially available via command line – no graphical user interface is available for this piece of technology yet.

lol, why do they have to mention it doesn't have a GUI? How come this is always so important.

In reality It is a good thing for us. Think about it.

I have never seen more short sighted people than in this scene. They literally are worse than corporate raiders and give corrupt politicians a run for their money.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 03:19:28 PM

Monero one rights coin and secure too

CAN USE FEARLESS

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:45:37 PM

I was a computer expert a few years back and honestly had problems installing the wallet(s) on my Mac. I did finally get it installed but didn't have faith in the installation due to so many problems I experienced. (I got the blockchain downloaded no problem.) I was only able to run the wallet by (excuse my lack of terms here) double clicking an exe file, not from an actual installation. (Something about my Mac environment stopped me from being able to do a true install and it was in the instructions but I couldn't get past it.) So, I didn't want to chance using it. I moved half my XMR's from Poloniex to Mintpal and the latter are history (and it was a nice chunk for me). Rather, those were history as I got them
returned a few weeks back, as did others. Anyway, Had there been an online wallet or even a wallet less problematic on my Mac, I wouldn't have moved any to Mintpal - but my bad as I didn't research the place. It was literally like within a week or two of the move!

I've mined BTC, run a full node, worked in IT, etc. so I really should have figured out the wallet problem within a few hours, didn't, so gave up. I went beyond a typical user install imo.

Suffice to say, there is a whole world of users out there who want a GUI (nothing command line except for higher functionality) due to ease of use. Knowing I was a computer expert and should have figured it out I can understand how lack of a GUI is really holding people back (at least if they experienced problems on install like me, Windows I hadn't heard of being problematic.)

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 06:36:08 PM

I was a computer expert a few years back and honestly had problems installing the wallet(s) on my Mac. I did finally get it installed but didn't have faith in the installation due to so many problems I experienced. (I got the blockchain downloaded no problem.) I was only able to run the wallet by (excuse my lack of terms here) double clicking an exe file, not from an actual installation. (Something about my Mac environment stopped me from being able to do a true install and it was in the instructions but I couldn't get past it.) So, I didn't want to chance using it. I moved half my XMR's from Poloniex to Mintpal and the latter are history (and it was a nice chunk for me). Rather, those were history as I got them
returned a few weeks back, as did others. Anyway, Had there been an online wallet or even a wallet less problematic on my Mac, I wouldn't have moved any to Mintpal - but my bad as I didn't research the place. It was literally like within a week or two of the move!

I've mined BTC, run a full node, worked in IT, etc. so I really should have figured out the wallet problem within a few hours, didn't, so gave up. I went beyond a typical user install imo.

Suffice to say, there is a whole world of users out there who want a GUI (nothing command line except for higher functionality) due to ease of use. Knowing I was a computer expert and should have figured it out I can understand how lack of a GUI is really holding people back (at least if they experienced problems on install like me, Windows I hadn't heard of being problematic.)

IAS

I can confirm this. Idk what a computer expert is, but I'm more capable than 98% of people atleast. Back when i had to compile it myself that was a huge pain. I'm so glad i could just grab some binaries this time. It was easier with binaries but still a pain. It needed so many dependencies. I wasnt about to sit there and install them all manually one at a time so i went looking for a solution and learned about aptitude. It was a great find, im glad to know about aptitude now. But yea i mean that was a process and involved some research and some time, i had to search around to find something like aptitude then i had to spend a little bit of time with it learning how it worked. Its a very real barrier that not everyone can overcome.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
nikos64

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 06:50:45 PM

Monero is like Bitcoin in 2009/2010, I risk to say we have more "early adopters" with Monero than Bitcoin had at that time just because the considerable momentum crypto got thanks to Bitcoin success.
That means, no 10,000 Moneroj for a  pizza.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 07:02:33 PM

[...]

I can confirm this. Idk what a computer expert is, but I'm more capable than 98% of people atleast. Back when i had to compile it myself that was a huge pain. I'm so glad i could just grab some binaries this time. It was easier with binaries but still a pain. It needed so many dependencies. I wasnt about to sit there and install them all manually one at a time so i went looking for a solution and learned about aptitude. It was a great find, im glad to know about aptitude now. But yea i mean that was a process and involved some research and some time, i had to search around to find something like aptitude then i had to spend a little bit of time with it learning how it worked. Its a very real barrier that not everyone can overcome.

Out of curiosity, what OS do you use? Because typically you'd always use a packet manager (like aptitude), and if you don't it's consciously and on purpose (slackware for instance).

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 07:05:27 PM

[...]

Out of curiosity, what OS do you use? Because typically you'd always use a packet manager (like aptitude), and if you don't it's consciously and on purpose (slackware for instance).

Linux mint. I was just using the standard package manager aptget. It didn't install dependencies automatically.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 07:05:53 PM

IAS

I was a database administrator and systems administrator on Unix and Linux, with a teeny bit of Windows when I had no choice.
I knew Perl and could write some basic scripts. I knew about dependencies (which was what I was talking about before - it did me in with the Monero wallet install, so many probs for me.)
Yeah, so I was (key word) extremely knowledgeable when it came to computer related stuff. No longer an expert but I still dabble here and there with Linux and so when I failed at the
wallet install that was both a hit to my ego and I was pissed! LOL

And as your suffice to say, comment said, I really do think a GUI is needed. That will open us to so many more people. Luckily the game is early in the going so we are probably not really too bad time wise.

In a sense we need to think along the lines of what BTC'ers have been saying for a while now - "We need that killer App." and to a point, a nice wallet (on smart phones especially) is going to be that Killer App imo.

BTC = Black Swan.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 07:10:23 PM

[...]

Linux mint. I was just using the standard package manager aptget. It didn't install dependencies automatically.

Ok. Probably a wrong config somewhere, or you got to fiddle with packages and what actually solved your issues isn't exactly what you thought, because aptitude is just a front-end for APT (the software that does apt-get and co).

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 07:12:48 PM

[...]

Ok. Probably a wrong config somewhere, or you got to fiddle with packages and what actually solved your issues isn't exactly what you thought, because aptitude is just a front-end for APT (the software that does apt-get and co).

Maybe. There was a install with all dependencies option with aptitude. I didnt see an option like that with aptget but just because i didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't there.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 07:51:22 PM

Before anybody gets the idea that Monero is very difficult to use I would like to tell a story from the Drooling Masses©, that be me.

I use windows, what else, and installed Monero with the help of the kind and patient people ITT last June.  There is nobody noobier than me.  I was also able to install and run a miner, update the client and use simple wallet.

I imagine things will get easier going forward. 
Pages: « 1 ... 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 [1096] 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: