Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:13:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667403 times)
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 08:02:39 PM

Before anybody gets the idea that Monero is very difficult to use I would like to tell a story from the Drooling Masses©, that be me.

I use windows, what else, and installed Monero with the help of the kind and patient people ITT last June.  There is nobody noobier than me.  I was also able to install and run a miner, update the client and use simple wallet.

I imagine things will get easier going forward. 

I don't know anyone who had issues running it on Windows unless they had antiquated hardware with not enough RAM, which by the way is fixed with the blockchain database implementation.  It's worked great for me every time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jojatekok

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 08:28:30 PM

After a long phase of waiting, and many stressful months using the command-line Monero core binaries, finally there comes a solution! In the past few weeks, I've been working on rewriting the whole application in the Eto.Forms framework in order to support multiple platforms, including Windows, Linux, and Mac. Today, I'm proud to announce the release of

(Thanks for the logo, fluffypony! Wink)

While MoneroX has basically no graphical changes compared to Monero Client .NET, its code has been rewritten from scratch. Thus, the performance and reliablity has also increased during this process. The localization files could also have been kept, however, there are still a few features missing when compared to the old WPF project (backup manager, instant input validation, progress bar text). Transactions are now displayed in groups, so it should be significantly easier to account your holdings.

The new releases can be downloaded from GitHub. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out how to compile MoneroX for Mac soon.

Please post your toughts, feedbacks, bug reports, or feature requests, as every single opinion counts in my opinion. Smiley
If you like this project, please donate to one of the addresses which can be found in my signature.

Code:
Monero  (XMR): 47hK4gehaMrFTQCiV5FEmM54hpqTrdHudb9nUBG88NicBDpxH4TGuh3TmW84Dc6dpMiEiBLGvJCuT3xC3LNHctmx7mG8NLM
Bitcoin (BTC): 14wHehBtFt321WTV15khon8Juaxh9drnfJ
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 08:43:58 PM

After a long phase of waiting, and many stressful months using the command-line Monero core binaries, finally there comes a solution! In the past few weeks, I've been working on rewriting the whole application in the Eto.Forms framework in order to support multiple platforms, including Windows, Linux, and Mac. Today, I'm proud to announce the release of

(Thanks for the logo, fluffypony! Wink)

While MoneroX has basically no graphical changes compared to Monero Client .NET, its code has been rewritten from scratch. Thus, the performance and reliablity has also increased during this process. The localization files could also have been kept, however, there are still a few features missing when compared to the old WPF project (backup manager, instant input validation, progress bar text). Transactions are now displayed in groups, so it should be significantly easier to account your holdings.

The new releases can be downloaded from GitHub. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out how to compile MoneroX for Mac soon.

Please post your toughts, feedbacks, bug reports, or feature requests, as every single opinion counts in my opinion. Smiley
If you like this project, please donate to one of the addresses which can be found in my signature.

So are the devs moving over to using your code? I mean it would be a shame for you to have rewritten all of the code to be cross platform and then are forced to implement all of their improvements in parallel for all eternity.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 09:01:47 PM

So are the devs moving over to using your code? I mean it would be a shame for you to have rewritten all of the code to be cross platform and then are forced to implement all of their improvements in parallel for all eternity.

No - just like Bitcoin Core hasn't moved over to Armory or Electrum or whatever. MoneroX and lightWallet use normal Monero RPC calls, so they're still touching underlying sub-systems that we'll continue to support via a backwards compatibility layer, and I'm certain that they'll move towards supporting the proposed RPC API (Jojatekok has played a big part in the technical spec for that after all).

Gladimor
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 09:03:51 PM

As I promised:

Mining since 2014
Gladimor
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 09:27:58 PM

A bit of wood:

Mining since 2014
Gladimor
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 09:37:32 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2015, 10:59:56 PM by Gladimor

For 5 XMR, I'll create a rendering of Monero + your name or any text you like, on a background of your choice. I can also do customs with Monero also Smiley My addy is in my sig.

NOTE: Since some of you are PMing me, these are NOT physical signs, they are just renderings with whatever you want on it Smiley

^^ these would look really good IRL.

Yes! It can possibly be done on a CNC machine (I have access to a couple).

Mining since 2014
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:28:29 AM

Something I've recently noticed that has happened a whole lot with btc based currencies, for myself - I've had probably an easy 40-50+ monero wallets and the only one that ever got corrupted/unusable was with one of the GUI clients (this was literally a day or two after they had come out, and I can't even remember if it was corrupted or just not usable with simplewallet or i just forgot the pw). With bitcoin and bitcoin forks, I've probably had a few hundred different wallets, and I can say for sure I've had at least 5-6 corrupted wallets that resulted in a direct loss of funds (pretty sure I even have one or two stashed away somewhere - probably recoverable someday), from just actual random usage of the client - nothing out of the ordinary (obviously something was out of the ordinary, but something I'd like to expect to be able to do like close the program whenever I want to).

Anyways - has anyone else had the same experience (where corrupt wallet files happen much less often in CN than satoshi codebases)? Any ideas why if so?

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
P3RS3US

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:31:44 AM

You guys might wanna reign in kazuki49. Just sayin'

SDC is a useless piece of scamcoin.

Baseless FUD. I thought you XMR guys were supposed to be classier than that?
Turns out this XMR supporter is a common variety garden troll…

*drops mic*
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:35:10 AM

*drops mic*

Nobody here controls what he does... I'd imagine few of us know who the hell he is.  Who told you to post here?  Should I have him reign YOU in?  See how that's kinda silly?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:45:59 AM

It's his opinion. That's what an open forum is about. Get over it.

*drops mic*
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:50:58 AM

Something I've recently noticed that has happened a whole lot with btc based currencies, for myself - I've had probably an easy 40-50+ monero wallets and the only one that ever got corrupted/unusable was with one of the GUI clients (this was literally a day or two after they had come out, and I can't even remember if it was corrupted or just not usable with simplewallet or i just forgot the pw). With bitcoin and bitcoin forks, I've probably had a few hundred different wallets, and I can say for sure I've had at least 5-6 corrupted wallets that resulted in a direct loss of funds (pretty sure I even have one or two stashed away somewhere - probably recoverable someday), from just actual random usage of the client - nothing out of the ordinary (obviously something was out of the ordinary, but something I'd like to expect to be able to do like close the program whenever I want to).

Anyways - has anyone else had the same experience (where corrupt wallet files happen much less often in CN than satoshi codebases)? Any ideas why if so?

The bitcoin wallets are a database (bdb). In theory databases are supposed to be immune to corruption but in practice there are programming bugs and OS and hardware issues (write barriers not enforced properly by OS and hardware) that can cause corruption.

CN wallets are two things:

1. Keys file, which is never changed after creation, so almost no opportunity for corruption.

2. dat file, which is a serialized data structure that gets replaced every time. On Windows this can be get corrupted because there is no good and simple atomic way to replace a file. On Linux you can simply write the new version and then rename, which usually works in practice even when write barriers are messed up (in theory it needn't entirely work for several complicated reasons but it often does anyway). Even if this file does get corrupted you can recreate it with no loss of funds or, I think, data.

c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:53:53 AM

I know this topic has been covered before, but I'm asking the Monero community to please consider changing the name to something more descriptive of what the coin does.

Before people jump in with the "Esperanto" reply...I know about that, but only because I've been following this coin and other cryptonote coins. It's an interesting name. The problem is that >90% of people have no idea what Esperanto is, nor do they care.

A brand name is very important. How about something that describes what the coin does, such as:

• PrivacyCash
  • PrivacyCoin
  • eCash
  • eCoin

Those names somewhat describe what the coin does and hint at its features. This is important if it expects adoption outside of the techie circles. I suggested the same points on the Fantomcoin thread. I have a handful of each coin.

I say this because I want to see cryptonote coins succeed. I think they are a valuable compliment to Bitcoin since they offer complete privacy whereas Bitcoin is pseudoanonymous. There are legitimate needs and uses for each. A more descriptive name would, imho, have a broader appeal to the general population.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:56:20 AM

I know this topic has been covered before, but I'm asking the Monero community to please consider changing the name to something more descriptive of what the coin does.

Before people jump in with the "Esperanto" reply...I know about that, but only because I've been following this coin and other cryptonote coins. It's an interesting name. The problem is that >90% of people have no idea what Esperanto is, nor do they care.

A brand name is very important. How about something that describes what the coin does, such as:

• PrivacyCash
  • PrivacyCoin
  • eCash
  • eCoin

Those names somewhat describe what the coin does and hint at its features. This is important if it expects adoption outside of the techie circles. I suggested the same points on the Fantomcoin thread. I have a handful of each coin.

I say this because I want to see cryptonote coins succeed. I think they are a valuable compliment to Bitcoin since they offer complete privacy whereas Bitcoin is pseudoanonymous. There are legitimate needs and uses for each. A more descriptive name would, imho, have a broader appeal to the general population.

Digital Cash? oh..wait...
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:58:11 AM

• PrivacyCash
  • PrivacyCoin
  • eCash
  • eCoin

One of the reasons I went with Monero over BBR, besides its large development team, is it's name. It's unique in a sea of (x)coins, (x)cash's, and limiting the name to something only around privacy is restrictive, it would alienate people who want transparency, and vice versa, neutrality is key. The Esperanto background is also a good conversation starter.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 01:01:38 AM

• PrivacyCash
  • PrivacyCoin
  • eCash
  • eCoin

Why dont we rename Monero to Darkcoin now that it is available just for the lols Tongue

99% of the shitcoins in this forum is doing exactly what you propose. I am glad that monero isnt. Monero as a name is perfect for many reasons and one of them is that it differentiates itself from the rest. Another is that by being in esperanto it is universal.

And i think that people on this forum know what monero does. If they dont it is our job to inform them with serious posts and infographics. In the end, i dont care for people who will choose a coin just because of the name.

P3RS3US

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:01:53 AM

*drops mic*

C'mon smooth - it's blatant FUD / baseless accusations. I defend his right to express his views too but not to the extent I'd have him spread excrement over this forum and stand idly by.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:09:09 AM

*drops mic*

C'mon smooth - it's blatant FUD / baseless accusations. I defend his right to express his views too but not to the extent I'd have him spread excrement over this forum and stand idly by.

Don't stand idly by, respond to it if you wish, but is has nothing to do with Monero just because he supports Monero. I support Bitcoin; if I post something you don't like are you going to start posting on Bitcoin threads complaining about me?

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 01:13:26 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2015, 01:29:05 AM by vokain

I do agree with Perseus that the comment was baseless because it did not provide a sound argument, even if a valid statement, and in forgoing so, causes him (and, though to a lesser extent, by unavoidable proxy, Monero) diminished credibility.

Pro tip: http://courses.durhamtech.edu/perkins/aris.html
quickly: The audience isn't you! Emphasize logos for hostile audiences, as pathos is mostly effective with friendly audiences, and balance the two for neutral audiences.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 01:36:37 AM

I do agree with Perseus that the comment was baseless because it did not provide a sound argument, even if a valid statement, and in forgoing so, causes him (and, though to a lesser extent, by unavoidable proxy, Monero) diminished credibility.

Thats exactly what he wants you to think... he is using Monero to shut me up, I already showed that I don't care about my perceived credibility so that was next obvious step, if this was IRL I would be sleeping with the fishes tonight, because thats the nature of his people. I'm really sorry (and only) about going offtopic here, I though he was an obvious troll and people would just ignore.

I see every trolling as an opportunity to elucidate Smiley

and I think, if you can take the time to post something then you can take the time to post something good.
Pages: « 1 ... 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: