Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:50:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 [1099] 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667216 times)
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 12:05:45 PM

Monero as a brand name is fine, why should we rebrand it? Besides there's a whole lot of infrastructure behind it right now... and... Pardon my ignorance, but WTF is "flarb"?  Grin

Edit: Nevermind. Just Googled it: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flarb
It was (far) worse than what I expected Tongue

*sniff* *sniff*

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gladimor
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:10:30 PM

I know this topic has been covered before, but I'm asking the Monero community to please consider changing the name to something more descriptive of what the coin does.

Many of the most recognisable brands in the world don't have descriptive names, and are awash in a sea of competition. "Apple" makes computers, "Nike" makes sportswear, "Amazon" sells stuff online, "Ford" makes cars, "Verizon" is mobile phone service provider. Even amongst software projects "Firefox" is a browser, "Skype" is for video calling, "Dash" is for offline software development documentation search, "Eclipse" is an IDE.

If everything had a descriptive brand name you'd use your "SlickComputers" laptop to buy a pair of "AwesomeSneakers" shoes from "OnlineRetailer" before hopping in my "AmericanCars" truck and making a call using the "LargePhoneNetwork" network. Then when I'm on my computer I can fire up "OpenSourceBrowser" before using "VideoCaller" to check-in with my wife, all while the convenient "DarkDocumentation" system helps me code in "CodeWriterEnvironment".

+1. I'm personally against a rename, I find the name "Monero" quite nice Smiley

Mining since 2014
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:15:42 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2015, 12:43:50 PM by dEBRUYNE

I know this topic has been covered before, but I'm asking the Monero community to please consider changing the name to something more descriptive of what the coin does.

Many of the most recognisable brands in the world don't have descriptive names, and are awash in a sea of competition. "Apple" makes computers, "Nike" makes sportswear, "Amazon" sells stuff online, "Ford" makes cars, "Verizon" is mobile phone service provider. Even amongst software projects "Firefox" is a browser, "Skype" is for video calling, "Dash" is for offline software development documentation search, "Eclipse" is an IDE.

If everything had a descriptive brand name you'd use your "SlickComputers" laptop to buy a pair of "AwesomeSneakers" shoes from "OnlineRetailer" before hopping in my "AmericanCars" truck and making a call using the "LargePhoneNetwork" network. Then when I'm on my computer I can fire up "OpenSourceBrowser" before using "VideoCaller" to check-in with my wife, all while the convenient "DarkDocumentation" system helps me code in "CodeWriterEnvironment".

+1. I'm personally against a rename, I find the name "Monero" quite nice Smiley

Agree too, not having coin or cash in its name was also one of the reasons for me to invest.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
florida.haunted

Activity: 241
Merit: 125

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:34:22 PM

Monero as a brand name is fine, why should we rebrand it? Besides there's a whole lot of infrastructure behind it right now... and... Pardon my ignorance, but WTF is "flarb"?  Grin

Edit: Nevermind. Just Googled it: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flarb
It was (far) worse than what I expected Tongue

*sniff* *sniff*

fluffypony, don't feed trolls. "Monero" is EXCELLENT brand name. No one altcoin has such a name. Even Darkcoin after its re-branding to 'Dash' sounds like 'pathos empty Ads'. Bitcoin itself sounds like a 'child toy'. While 'Monero' sounds like giants as Microsoft, Apple, Nike, etc. Furthermore, 'Monero' embeds a hint to smart people: they know 'Monero' is 'Coin' in Esperanto (and they know what is Esperanto Wink ).

P.S. Sony had spent more than $100 000 to research her name as SONY. We have saved a lot of money, sure.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 03:04:03 PM

fluffypony, don't feed trolls. "Monero" is EXCELLENT brand name. No one altcoin has such a name. Even Darkcoin after its re-branding to 'Dash' sounds like 'pathos empty Ads'. Bitcoin itself sounds like a 'child toy'. While 'Monero' sounds like giants as Microsoft, Apple, Nike, etc. Furthermore, 'Monero' embeds a hint to smart people: they know 'Monero' is 'Coin' in Esperanto (and they know what is Esperanto Wink ).

P.S. Sony had spent more than $100 000 to research her name as SONY. We have saved a lot of money, sure.

I was just making a joke, because apparently a Flarb is a person who enjoys sniffing bicycle seats;)

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
SarcasmMe

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 03:45:38 PM

Hi

where this posible buy? in exchanger? or btc-e or some trading site?

Roll Eyes
i also interest
ask

Huh

this to linux 32x ?

or only to 64x ?

1 Bitcoin is  = 32.42  Monero (XMR) ??

more details where buy?
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 03:49:23 PM

Hi

The exchange with the best liquidity is poloniex.com  Also bittrex.com and bter.com (although bter has had recent problems... beware)

this to linux 32x ?

Not yet officially. 32bit clients will require the new build with a database which is coming soon.®

more details where buy?

You decimal point is off a little.  It is closer to 324.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 04:03:06 PM

Hi

The exchange with the best liquidity is poloniex.com  Also bittrex.com and bter.com (although bter has had recent problems... beware)

this to linux 32x ?

Not yet officially. 32bit clients will require the new build with a database which is coming soon.®

more details where buy?

You decimal point is off a little.  It is closer to 324.

Where's gladimor? we need a rendering of "Monero: coming soon®"

( snarf )

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:20:30 PM

I didn't see any posts in favor of renaming the coin, and since that's the overwhelming consensus, I'm fine with that.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:38:12 PM

May I propose something to the team?

When the new XMR binaries & db is out, maybe we should make a "live" linux ISO with the XMR included (or a WinPE64 image for that matter). This way, XMR would've been much easier to get to "new" people, since they won't have to worry on how to use the wallet etc.

I also propose to add the excellent frontend from jojatekok: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=683365.0 and even "torrify" the thing (not necessary, but oh well). I'm very fond of such implementations, since they're portable, easy to use and don't get too much hassle to setup and run.

Anyone willing to support such a project?

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 06:54:55 PM

When the new XMR binaries & db is out, maybe we should make a "live" linux ISO with the XMR included (or a WinPE64 image for that matter). This way, XMR would've been much easier to get to "new" people, since they won't have to worry on how to use the wallet etc.

I also propose to add the excellent frontend from jojatekok: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=683365.0 and even "torrify" the thing (not necessary, but oh well). I'm very fond of such implementations, since they're portable, easy to use and don't get too much hassle to setup and run.

Yeah, I'd support that. For the longest time I wanted to create live USB sticks with wallets already on them with some monero so ppl could buy on ebay or something, but couldn't find a way to do it without scammers coming at me.

In general, I think the live USB stick (with persistence) is the best way to have a wallet. Actually, the one I made isn't a persistent,.... I just installed onto it like it was a HD. I wonder if it will boot on computers other than the one I created it on.

I know there are how-to's for making custom linux distros.

what'd be the sweetest is if we could make it boot straight into jj's wallet - daemon autoloads, etc. That way people aren't tempted to use their MoneroStick (tm) for anything other than managing their funds.

Will probably have to wait a while though for the kinks of the new release to get worked out.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:01:06 PM

Yeah, I'd support that. For the longest time I wanted to create live USB sticks with wallets already on them with some monero so ppl could buy on ebay or something, but couldn't find a way to do it without scammers coming at me.

In general, I think the live USB stick (with persistence) is the best way to have a wallet. Actually, the one I made isn't a persistent,.... I just installed onto it like it was a HD. I wonder if it will boot on computers other than the one I created it on.

I know there are how-to's for making custom linux distros.

what'd be the sweetest is if we could make it boot straight into jj's wallet - daemon autoloads, etc. That way people aren't tempted to use their MoneroStick (tm) for anything other than managing their funds.

Will probably have to wait a while though for the kinks of the new release to get worked out.

I've previously mentioned here about https://www.qubes-os.org/ as a way of fully anonymizing the transactions, but I guess it won't be for everyone (it's very specific h/w dependent). Chances are that the best solution out there for usability is not even Linux, but a win8.1/64bit PE bootable stick. If the persistent image contain the XMR wallet and the DB is written to the USB/Local HDD, that would've been awesome.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow if I have some time to poke around.

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:28:14 PM

Before people jump in with the "Esperanto" reply...I know about that, but only because I've been following this coin and other cryptonote coins. It's an interesting name. The problem is that >90% of people have no idea what Esperanto is, nor do they care.

A brand name is very important. How about something that describes what the coin does, such as:

• PrivacyCash
  • PrivacyCoin
  • eCash
  • eCoin

Those names somewhat describe what the coin does and hint at its features. This is important if it expects adoption outside of the techie circles. I suggested the same points on the Fantomcoin thread. I have a handful of each coin.

I say this because I want to see cryptonote coins succeed. I think they are a valuable compliment to Bitcoin since they offer complete privacy whereas Bitcoin is pseudoanonymous. There are legitimate needs and uses for each. A more descriptive name would, imho, have a broader appeal to the general population.

And I don't care about English. Also, the englishism in the name of the coins is a serious issue when you want to have an universal currency. Why English? Why not put the name of currency in Portuguese? In Spanish? In russian? In italian?

Although Esperanto is a little-know language, using Esperanto to name a cryptocurrency is much more fair than a local-specific language. thankful_for_today was really fucking genious when he decided for the Bitmonero name (and the community was fucking genial too when they decided to rename to Monero).

So, that being said, I would reccomend to any Monero adopter to put a negative trust on anyone suggesting to rename Monero. I have serious suspects these people are just suggesting a rename because they are looking to use Monero's brand in her/his own cryptocurrency.

But this time, I'll open an exception for you (at least, I won't do this at this time, but others can do). Smiley
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:19:10 PM

I didn't see any posts in favor of renaming the coin, and since that's the overwhelming consensus, I'm fine with that.

I dunno. I mean, if DarkBitFlarbCashBerryCoin is available...
 Tongue
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 09:19:48 PM

Before people jump in with the "Esperanto" reply...I know about that, but only because I've been following this coin and other cryptonote coins. It's an interesting name. The problem is that >90% of people have no idea what Esperanto is, nor do they care.

A brand name is very important. How about something that describes what the coin does, such as:

• PrivacyCash
  • PrivacyCoin
  • eCash
  • eCoin

Those names somewhat describe what the coin does and hint at its features. This is important if it expects adoption outside of the techie circles. I suggested the same points on the Fantomcoin thread. I have a handful of each coin.

I say this because I want to see cryptonote coins succeed. I think they are a valuable compliment to Bitcoin since they offer complete privacy whereas Bitcoin is pseudoanonymous. There are legitimate needs and uses for each. A more descriptive name would, imho, have a broader appeal to the general population.

The only thing I know about Esperanto is that I hate it.  Some kind of hippie communist claptrap.  Speak English gawddammit!   Angry

But your names are boring.  We need a lightearted but techie Dotcom 2.0 kind of thing the trendy kids will like.

I suggest:

Szabonite
Taconium
FluffyBerry
GingerCoin
DashcoinLite
RandPaulCoin
Rune
Bitcoin2

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:26:44 PM

a win8.1/64bit PE bootable stick. If the persistent image contain the XMR wallet and the DB is written to the USB/Local HDD, that would've been awesome.

Oman this would be so cool if an entrepreneur could package this in the form of a monero application specific device that was 100% plug and play with an environment designed to prevent them from being able to make security mistakes. I would probably pay way too much for that. Or even if the devs could some day produce a developer signed bootable image.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:33:44 PM

Almost 500,000 on the block-chain height !  Woot!

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:44:17 PM

a win8.1/64bit PE bootable stick. If the persistent image contain the XMR wallet and the DB is written to the USB/Local HDD, that would've been awesome.

Oman this would be so cool if an entrepreneur could package this in the form of a monero application specific device that was 100% plug and play with an environment designed to prevent them from being able to make security mistakes. I would probably pay way too much for that. Or even if the devs could some day produce a developer signed bootable image.

^^^ I dream of a device like this for Monero daily^^^   Off network cold wallet storage device but can be plugged in to transfer or pay with. 

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 10:05:18 PM

DashcoinLite

Grin Grin Grin Grin personal favorite

Pages: « 1 ... 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 [1099] 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: