Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:36:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 [1189] 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669117 times)
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 01:57:19 PM

Hi, maybe this is the wrong thread, if so, I apologize, as I did a lot of googling but came up short.

I'm for the first time running bitmonerod on Linux.

I compiled from latest linux 64-bit source, and now have the daemon running - I couldn't seem to use the blockchain.bin on monero.cc (kept crashing), so i've gotten it running but resyncing from scratch.

Here is my single question - Am I now using the new database format, or ... was there some compile switch i missed? My blockchain.bin is still pretty large, even with 333 days left to sync, but i'm not sure that matters.

Thanks for any help/advice.

If you got the master HEAD from github then yes you are using the experimental database version. Your blockchain.bin file won't be used, it will create a separate directory with .bitmonero for the database files.

Ah, ok, I grabbed the source from monero.cc - guess I'll go redo it. Thank you kindly, sir! Wink

"redo" ? I would run the LMDB version, the one you compiled. The data file will be data.mdb in .bitmonero/lmdb
You can use one of the converters in the /bin that you compiled. It is recommended to use the exporter and then the importer.

is there a way so i can seed the blockchain even better? i have bandwidth to give.

oh someone deleted my post from yesterday, why?  Cry
i thought it was funny, sorry english is not my native language

Do you have a data.mdb? If you do, just post it!!! If you don't, you can dload someone elses (I have one on the getmonero.org forums, someone posted one on here a page or two back).

Of if you don't have one, you can export the blockchain.bin and then host / seed that. I think the exported raw would be best, because then when its imported the import utility actually goes through and checks the blockchain or something.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:10:41 PM

i have one node updated and one not. but i would like to increase the number of other nodes connected to me(especially snycing ones). i want to seed directly over the network if possible, not upload the blockchain somewhere else. i'm assuming bandwidth is the bottleneck when syncing from scratch(is it?)

XMR Monero
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 02:25:12 PM

i have one node updated and one not. but i would like to increase the number of other nodes connected to me(especially snycing ones). i want to seed directly over the network if possible, not upload the blockchain somewhere else. i'm assuming bandwidth is the bottleneck when syncing from scratch(is it?)

ah, gotcha.

I don't know what the bottleneck is. I think that in the latest version there's a speed limit - meant to not swamp your cnxn I guess. This can be modified.

So, I think from your bitmonerod, you can change these limits. Just type help within bitmonerod and you should see an option for max speed or something.

I've seen this pop up on my set_log 2 output, where a peer doesn't have a limit set (perhaps because old version). So perhaps you can modify things on your end.

There also might be a setting to increase # of connected peers. I think the default is 12, or it always tries to maintain 12, or something.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
uvt9

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:24:06 PM

i've seen no missive released during last 30 days. did the dev team stopped issuing new missive ?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:38:34 PM

i've seen no missive released during last 30 days. did the dev team stopped issuing new missive ?

I think they have been busy fixing all the bugs and utilizing everything for the 0.8.8.7. Also, GingerAle is handling the missives (or atleast the editing etc.) if I recall correctly.

Relevant:

So we're slowly inching our way through the doldrums...community activity, trading volume, development? Are we going to reach the tradewinds soon? These flapping sails are unnerving.

I think everybody likes surprising people around here. It may feel like the doldrums, but people just work in silence. And who knows why we're in the doldrums, considering:

The LMDB works, and it compiles on windows 64, and there's a hacky way to get a LMDB-build GUI using MoneroX (see my above post)
roosma's working on trezor thing
Luigi's workin on a surprise
and I know of one other unknown development, perhaps 2.

don't worry, there will be a new missive soon. Smiley

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Quicken

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:43:22 PM

I think they have been busy fixing all the bugs and utilizing everything for the 0.8.8.7. Also, GingerAle is handling the missives (or atleast the editing etc.) if I recall correctly.

The LMDB release should be tagged 0.9 IMHO. Major update.
Q
Quicken

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 05:40:07 PM

I have an old wallet that had a bunch of dust transactions from early mining, plus a bunch of small transactions (mostly 0.5 XMR) from later mining, plus some big transactions from exchange payouts. Now, I decided to move it all to a new wallet, to consolidate the dust and small transactions, and also have the mnemonic seed. I couldn't send it all as one transaction, and had to break it up into about ten different transactions. No problem.

However, at the end, I have about 3.5 XMR that wouldn't send at all as the transaction fee(s) would be too large. I think this is the dust. Now I know 3.5 XMR is not a lot, but will dust be forever useless/unavailable? Is this a fungibility problem? It seems these 3.5 XMR are not as good as (interchangeable with) another 3.5 XMR.

Is there any way to consolidate Monero dust into Monero nuggets?
Cheers, Q
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 05:45:50 PM

I have an old wallet that had a bunch of dust transactions from early mining, plus a bunch of small transactions (mostly 0.5 XMR) from later mining, plus some big transactions from exchange payouts. Now, I decided to move it all to a new wallet, to consolidate the dust and small transactions, and also have the mnemonic seed. I couldn't send it all as one transaction, and had to break it up into about ten different transactions. No problem.

However, at the end, I have about 3.5 XMR that wouldn't send at all as the transaction fee(s) would be too large. I think this is the dust. Now I know 3.5 XMR is not a lot, but will dust be forever useless/unavailable? Is this a fungibility problem? It seems these 3.5 XMR are not as good as (interchangeable with) another 3.5 XMR.

Cheers, Q

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but I know this was brought up in a recent missive. Basically at some point there's gonna be a protocol change that prevents dust and maybe perhaps cleans up old dust.

re: no missives for a month - we've been recording, its just been slow going getting them posted / hosted. Fluffypony is letting me take that over so they can happen more quickly, and in order for that to happen I had to learn how to use GPG keys, because me == relative noob, so yeah.

equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 06:19:36 PM

Cheers, Q
Yes, that is the dust from pools problem, which was fixed long time ago. You have two options:
1) send them with mixing of 0 in smaller chunks to another wallet of yours. Use the biggest it lets you - 0.5 or 0.2 XMR or whatever.
2) wait monero to go to the moon and then the fees for 1) should be much smaller.

*note that if you wait and cleaning old dust change happen (GingerAle:"maybe perhaps cleans up old dust.") you'll probably lose all the dust.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:44:51 PM

re: no missives for a month - we've been recording, its just been slow going getting them posted / hosted. Fluffypony is letting me take that over so they can happen more quickly, and in order for that to happen I had to learn how to use GPG keys, because me == relative noob, so yeah.

GPG keys = you exist on the Internet, learn how to use them Tongue

The LMDB release should be tagged 0.9 IMHO. Major update.
Q

+1
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:55:50 PM

Recently I went to a bitcoin meetup and met someone who was wealthy and now a fairly large holder of BTC.  He does not use bitcointalk and had never heard of monero.

He is very interested in fungibility and has concerns about blockchain analysis de-anonymizing BTC.

My point is that not every BTC fan spends time on this website or knows about monero. Many just think alt coins are scams or fear they may dilute the BTC market cap.  However once educated, many of these people will become VERY interested in monero.

I suggest this:

1. Go to meetup.com and start attending bitcoin meetings in your area
2. Talk about bitcoin. Don't be overly aggressive, but do mention Monero when the situation presents itself
3. If there is sufficient interest, start a local monero meetup
4. Edit your localbitcoins listings to mention monero and your listing on https://www.moneroclub.com/offers/
4. Lets build a global Monero community from the ground up by reaching outside the bitcointalk community!

Good advice.

Okay I had not created a group on meetup.com before (I thought it was free). The money is not the issue, but they do not take bitcoin (so I can pay with xmr.to). Any other suggestions besides meetup.com?

There are many bitcoin groups on meetup.com now (most major cities) and quite a few cities already have Ethereum, Ripple, etc groups as well. We need to spread the word to the masses. People will like Monero once they know what is has to offer. The problem is that outside of our small community not many have heard of us yet.

We all should start local meetings and talk about Monero. So far I have been doing this primarily at bitcoin meetups but want to start monero specific meetups soon (there is some local interest in it based on people I have talked to).
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:07:08 PM

Cheers, Q
Yes, that is the dust from pools problem, which was fixed long time ago. You have two options:
1) send them with mixing of 0 in smaller chunks to another wallet of yours. Use the biggest it lets you - 0.5 or 0.2 XMR or whatever.
2) wait monero to go to the moon and then the fees for 1) should be much smaller.

*note that if you wait and cleaning old dust change happen (GingerAle:"maybe perhaps cleans up old dust.") you'll probably lose all the dust.

And, you'll pay a significant portion as fees. It might just be a matter of whether you want the miners to get it, or nobody. Wink
Erik Goff

Activity: 261
Merit: 10

https://assetsplit.org/

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:18:32 PM

We all should start local meetings and talk about Monero. So far I have been doing this primarily at bitcoin meetups but want to start monero specific meetups soon (there is some local interest in it based on people I have talked to).

The problem about starting a monero meetup is that it attracts only people who already know about monero.
I think the future of monero is closely related to chainanalysis.com and i think our 'advertizing' should be there

⚜⚜⚜  ASSETSPLIT ICO  ⚜⚜⚜
⚡⚡⚡Asset Split is the place to build shares of your valuables⚡⚡⚡
♻ ▬▬▬▬▬  Facebook ♦️️ Twitter ♦️️ Telegram ♦️️ Discord ♦️️ Bitcointalk   ▬▬▬▬▬ ♻
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:28:28 PM

Right. And the compile instructions (on the monero github site) are really easy to follow. You must follow them EXACTLY though.

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero

edited to add: and you have to install berkely DB, which is a simple google to figure out.

Regarding the compiling instructions, on Windows, in the MSYS2 shell, and I'm following them EXACTLY, but I had to run the following to add mingw64 to the path variable, before running cmake, otherwise, it couldn't find it.
Code:
PATH=/mingw64/bin:$PATH

Either this is proof that I *wasn't* following the instructions EXACTLY, or the instructions need to be updated. Smiley
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:42:46 PM

is there a way so i can seed the blockchain even better? i have bandwidth to give.

oh someone deleted my post from yesterday, why?  Cry
i thought it was funny, sorry english is not my native language

You are not alone.

Whoever is acting as the Thread Nazi doesn't seem to appreciate it when someone that is a non-Dev acknowledges another person's attempt at humor or makes an attempt at humor themselves.

I had a post deleted that consisted solely of "lawlz" in response to a Dev's humorous post.

I took it as a hint and now refrain from posting lalwz. Kiss
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 07:47:50 PM

Right. And the compile instructions (on the monero github site) are really easy to follow. You must follow them EXACTLY though.

edited to add: and you have to install berkely DB, which is a simple google to figure out.

Regarding the compiling instructions, on Windows, in the MSYS2 shell, and I'm following them EXACTLY, but I had to run the following to add mingw64 to the path variable, before running cmake, otherwise, it couldn't find it.
Code:

Either this is proof that I *wasn't* following the instructions EXACTLY, or the instructions need to be updated. Smiley

Sad sorry, my bad. I only wrote the "exactly" because when I didn't read them carefully I made mistakes that I shouldn't have made... like running msys2 instead of mingw64, and then trying to run make in the source directory, etc.

u got bins?

kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:56:28 PM

Cheers, Q

So its my understanding after listening to the latest Missive that the next daemon release you will be able to clean up dust without incurring a per KB fee using 0 mixin.  Will those that mine in a pool be allowed to keep their accumulated dust from emissions as it rolls over from pay out to payout.   Or will mining now only generate 2 places right of the decimal point (.25) ?

Thanks for any clarity on this.

The removal of dust is unrelated to fees - if you have dust it is still going to cost you to sweep it. Two things will change once we have implemented the MRL 4 recommendations:

1. No new dust will be created ever. This is part of the hard-fork changes, as it will mean that on a protocol level nodes will reject transactions that attempt to create unique outputs with no peers in the txoset (although, as a sidenote, new outputs without any txoset peers can be created in expectation of peers existing soon-ish, as long as it is complies with the ^10 / order of magnitude rule and thus isn't unmixable)

2. Existing dust can be spent at mixin 0, as long as the outputs the transaction creates comply with rule 1.

We are one hard-fork away from solving the "dust problem".
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:57:04 PM

Code:

Sad sorry, my bad. I only wrote the "exactly" because when I didn't read them carefully I made mistakes that I shouldn't have made... like running msys2 instead of mingw64, and then trying to run make in the source directory, etc.

u got bins?

Yep. Smiley, I'm running blockchain_converter.exe as we speak.

I made the same mistake regarding running mingw64 first. The dependencies list definitely needs to be moved to the bottom of the instructions, because all you need is msys2 installed, and then you follow the instructions (and potentially make the PATH addition that I had to do), and it should just work.
equipoise

Activity: 794

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 08:02:19 PM

^I'm running blockchain_import now. I tried blockchain_convert first, but export and then import (with --verify 0) works much faster for me.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:27:41 PM

^I'm running blockchain_import now. I tried blockchain_convert first, but export and then import (with --verify 0) works much faster for me.

Is there a drawback to this? If this works and is a lot faster, then what's the point of blockchain_convert?
Pages: « 1 ... 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 [1189] 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: