Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:29:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 [1358] 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669644 times)
Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 03:55:29 AM

Assuming that the Shadowcash developers aren't already anonymously contributing to Monero code, would there be any support for a bounty to possibly lure some of them in to our side?  

I think others have confirmed that though they may be misguided about their POS/POW launch, they seem to be legitimate people who aren't outright trying to scam anyone.  Would their talents have any use, and if so, are we prepared to compensate them at all for the enormous financial hit they might take by abandoning their baby?  

The more legitimate talent we can bring into the Monero-sphere the better of the project (and the world) will be.  It's going to take a *lot* of momentum and force to catch up to bitcoin and we could use all the help we can get.  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=999789.msg12570030#msg12570030

It would take a security exploit that renders Bitcoin useless to allow any altcoin to catch up to it.

Can't speak for any of the Shadow devs though. Would be interesting to see this anonymous mega coin dev team, but I'd like to think that the shadow devs enjoy the community they've created.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:27:29 AM

It would take a security exploit that renders Bitcoin useless to allow any altcoin to catch up to it.

I disagree.  Bitcoin has a lot of fundamental problems and it's silly to artificially limit speculation by bitcoin price, especially as this endeavor moves forward.  If bitcoin stagnates at $250 forever because the network technology stagnates it's silly to say that no "altcoin" can ever eclipse a 3 billion dollar marketcap. 

I believe it will be difficult to catch up to bitcoin, but certainly not impossible, especially if it falls apart socially and development wise.  The implications might be hard to fathom, but so was a billion-dollar marketcap for bitcoin in the first place.  I currently see a future of two major blockchains with Bitcoin forming the public one and Monero the private one - and I think the private blockchain will actually carry more value inside of it because the value of global private money is greater than global public money.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:46:41 AM

Its not impossible, Monero is way ahead of Bitcoin in terms of e-cash properties, all Bitcoin has is what Bitcoin has, it just takes lots of money to surpass Bitcoin, there is no magic needed, just an enormous amount of cold hard cash. I believe this coin has the properties that will attract this kind of money in the future. No serious altcoin dared to try before, Litecoin capped itself as a Silver to Bitcoin's gold, most others tried to be something Bitcoin isn't. Monero is Bitcoin better and it won't cap itself, as much as some are hoping and trying to just shove it in a sidechain. I'm not really deluding myself, this is how I see the situation it may or not happen, it may or may not be Monero but one worthy 'altcoin' will surpass Bitcoin sooner or later, its a matter of time.
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:48:32 AM

Holy shit, 200 mixin?  Isn't it pretty unfeasible to ever trace a transaction even after just 3 mixin?  

200 is like breaking matter down to quarks and reassembling it.  Grin

If there are many transactions, it is difficult to trace after 3 minxin.

I think the point is that a stress test (or blockchain parse to check for available mixins) is useful technical information. People should know what the maximum possible mixin is so they don't accidentally exceed it.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 05:03:37 AM

Holy shit, 200 mixin?  Isn't it pretty unfeasible to ever trace a transaction even after just 3 mixin?  

I think the point is that a stress test (or blockchain parse to check for available mixins) is useful technical information. People should know what the maximum possible mixin is so they don't accidentally exceed it.

There is no maximum (unless there is a bug, so as you say it is useful to test). It is limited only by physical size of the data.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 05:19:00 AM

Its not impossible, Monero is way ahead of Bitcoin in terms of e-cash properties, all Bitcoin has is what Bitcoin has, it just takes lots of money to surpass Bitcoin, there is no magic needed, just an enormous amount of cold hard cash. I believe this coin has the properties that will attract this kind of money in the future. No serious altcoin dared to try before, Litecoin capped itself as a Silver to Bitcoin's gold, most others tried to be something Bitcoin isn't. Monero is Bitcoin better and it won't cap itself, as much as some are hoping and trying to just shove it in a sidechain. I'm not really deluding myself, this is how I see the situation it may or not happen, it may or may not be Monero but one worthy 'altcoin' will surpass Bitcoin sooner or later, its a matter of time.

So is Monero the Platinum to Bitcoin's gold?  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 05:20:27 AM

There is no maximum (unless there is a bug, so as you say it is useful to test). It is limited only by physical size of the data.

And is limited to the amount of outputs that already exist to mix with?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 06:26:31 AM

And is limited to the amount of outputs that already exist to mix with?

True for any particular point on the chain. That is generally growing though.
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 10:46:34 PM

Assuming that the Shadowcash developers aren't already anonymously contributing to Monero code, would there be any support for a bounty to possibly lure some of them in to our side?  

I think others have confirmed that though they may be misguided about their POS/POW launch, they seem to be legitimate people who aren't outright trying to scam anyone.  Would their talents have any use, and if so, are we prepared to compensate them at all for the enormous financial hit they might take by abandoning their baby?  

The more legitimate talent we can bring into the Monero-sphere the better of the project (and the world) will be.  It's going to take a *lot* of momentum and force to catch up to bitcoin and we could use all the help we can get.  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=999789.msg12570030#msg12570030

https://i.imgur.com/CDJfMxP.png

What about this guy AP?  Seems like Charles is looking for a new home after Etherum kicked his ass, why not invite him in our comfy home?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1215122.msg12750323#msg12750323
americanpegasus

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:09:56 PM

What about this guy AP?  Seems like Charles is looking for a new home after Etherum kicked his ass, why not invite him in our comfy home?

Shit. 

I'm listening to his podcast now.  He's obviously extraordinarily intelligent and well-spoken.  As someone who has worked on Bitshares and Ethereum, recruiting him into the Monero fold would be a massive win (both for him and the technology).  One issue would be convincing him to fold his individual efforts into our own, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has some hesitance to that idea; he may have a well-earned ego as a pioneer of some truly visionary crypto-projects.  To join Monero might not seem as glamorous as launching his own new currency, but it is the correct path forward.  After all, we don't all get to own our own internets - we need to agree on one protocol and build on top of it (see AOL vs. CompuServe vs. "just the internet").  The other challenge might be to correct any existing misconceptions he may have about Monero as "just another altcoin like Dash". 

Let me finish the podcast and formulate my thoughts.  I'm certain that he's heard of Monero already; I'm wondering what his current thoughts are on it.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:13:59 PM

Shit. 

I'm listening to his podcast now.  He's obviously extraordinarily intelligent and well-spoken.  As someone who has worked on Bitshares and Ethereum, recruiting him into the Monero fold would be a massive win (both for him and the technology).  One issue would be convincing him to fold his individual efforts into our own, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has some hesitance to that idea; he may have a well-earned ego as a pioneer of some truly visionary crypto-projects.  To join Monero might not seem as glamorous as launching his own new currency, but it is the correct path forward.  After all, we don't all get to own our own internets - we need to agree on one protocol and build on top of it (see AOL vs. CompuServe vs. "just the internet").  The other challenge might be to correct any existing misconceptions he may have about Monero as "just another altcoin like Dash". 

Let me finish the podcast and formulate my thoughts.  I'm certain that he's heard of Monero already; I'm wondering what his current thoughts are on it.

I've already listened to the whole thing, and he does hint at some new alt coins having the potential to posses better qualities which make it value... but if I heard everything correctly (went to the bathroom for a minute and came back) he didn't mention monero specifically... but he does talk about things like dash, ethereum, ripple, and other things of that nature.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 11:28:04 PM

So is Monero the Platinum to Bitcoin's gold?  Cheesy

Duh.  Welcome to one year ago!

Way to arrive at the party fashionably late.    Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
americanpegasus

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:45:20 PM

So is Monero the Platinum to Bitcoin's gold?  Cheesy

Duh.  Welcome to one year ago!

Way to arrive at the party fashionably late.    Cool

I disagree.  

Bitcoin was never gold.  Bitcoin's closest analogue was Stonehenge.  It was a decentralized public resource, constructed at great cost, and used to transact debts.  Once a "cycle" everyone of import met and came to a consensus on who owned what, but as a consequence of this there could be no private transactions.  All transactions of who owned what "sacred stone" had to be declared and acknowledged by all other members of those who were transacting.  BTW, the concept that Stonehenge's purpose was to serve as a financial ledger is attributed to Reddit user /u/DonaldMcIntyre.  

In actuality, Monero is the first digital gold, not Bitcoin.  

I have posted this picture before, but it bears repeating that Bitcoin fulfilled all the requirements of being the first digital collectible (which was monumental - not to take anything away from it), but it was not the next true evolution of money.  That may be a bold statement, but it's true.  Cryptonote, and Monero by extension, is the next big evolution of money - and as a result will (imho) overtake bitcoin by value in time.  

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 12:15:02 AM

Bitcoin was never gold.  Bitcoin's closest analogue was Stonehenge.  It was a decentralized public resource, constructed at great cost, and used to transact debts.  Once a "cycle" everyone of import met and came to a consensus on who owned what, but as a consequence of this there could be no private transactions.  All transactions of who owned what "sacred stone" had to be declared and acknowledged by all other members of those who were transacting.  BTW, the concept that Stonehenge's purpose was to serve as a financial ledger is attributed to Reddit user /u/DonaldMcIntyre.  

In actuality, Monero is the first digital gold, not Bitcoin.  

I have posted this picture before, but it bears repeating that Bitcoin fulfilled all the requirements of being the first digital collectible (which was monumental - not to take anything away from it), but it was not the next true evolution of money.  That may be a bold statement, but it's true.  Cryptonote, and Monero by extension, is the next big evolution of money - and as a result will (imho) overtake bitcoin by value in time.  

Bitcoin is simply BitGold + HashCash + Reusable Proof of Work.  It's "mining" function was designed to be analogous to gold mining.

Stonehenge's purpose is to maintain a time rift, where the same actions are played out (with minor variations), over and over again, with the end result being that the power of the circle will eventually be released to the outside world. Whenever this is faulted, however, the time circle resets and the same events attempt again to unfold. However, since time is passing in the outside world in a normal way, that within the time circle must also progress matching the time period of the real world while still attempting to play out the events within.

The original stone circle was built during megalithic Great Britain and inhabited by a pagan folk led by a Druid priest. The village priest then witnessed the formation of a supernova and somehow deduced that a black hole had formed shortly thereafter. Using a variety of psychic powers, mixed with folk magic, the priest was able to harness the power of the stones (which were natural magnets) and focus negative energy, via a beam of light, through the centre of the circle towards the black hole.

Monero plays the role of platinum to Bitcoin's gold because while (immutable/serene) BTC/Au mostly just sits in vaults, XMR/Pt have far more industrial uses (thanks to higher reactivity, they are superior catalysts).

XMR is also significantly more rare than BTC, with 18 vs 21 million total coin emission.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 01:44:10 AM

Can Monero do something like this?

https://dashtalk.org/threads/new-video-translations.6159/

Many people still cannot be reached by our current materials because of language barriers.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 01:52:47 AM

Many people still cannot be reached by our current materials because of language barriers.

it could. I'm guessing that kind of material cost thousands of dollars to make. But first step to making such a thing would be a script.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
phishead

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 02:34:05 AM

it could. I'm guessing that kind of material cost thousands of dollars to make. But first step to making such a thing would be a script.

Well, when the time comes... Two of my buddies could possibly go about translating stuff.  One of them speaks Mandarin and the other Japanese.  I still have yet to have seen them for some time now... but I'm sure if I were to meet up with them for a couple of beers and talk to them a bit, they would be interested.  Though, they are currently living in the countries where those languages apply.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:42:46 AM

Hello!

I am in favor of this post, but if the traffic were to get heavy (a good thing) we should have a separate XMR Marketplace thread, or sth.  Maybe it already exists?

(PM'd Zoran).

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
phishead

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 02:45:48 AM

Shit. 

Hey AP, saw you posted on the thread and am curious if he ever did respond to you... is there anything we can do to get him on board? Funding? Anything?
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:11:15 AM

Well, when the time comes... Two of my buddies could possibly go about translating stuff.  One of them speaks Mandarin and the other Japanese.  I still have yet to have seen them for some time now... but I'm sure if I were to meet up with them for a couple of beers and talk to them a bit, they would be interested.  Though, they are currently living in the countries where those languages apply.

I think the time has come already. We need marketing to grow our user base. More users can help fund more donations towards development.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
Pages: « 1 ... 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 [1358] 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: