Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:01:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668455 times)
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:51:03 AM

Sorry guys, but Im not happy with how things are going! The logo is dull and plain as hell and doesnt stick out among 100 generic insurance company logos you can find in any phone book. Thats not even the troubling part. What really grinds my gears is that apparently you tackle the "professional" approach to run this project from the wrong end, submitting to some BS ISO compliance codes and choosing generic company logos for a project like this in a community like this is clearly the wrong way to go. You are supposed to think outside the box and not try to fit in it! This is the Crypto Revolution and not some credit card scheme 2.0. Please take the courage to be original, the community will thank you for it.

I like the Missives post and hope to see more of it regularly to keep us in the loop. Thats where Monero could shine over Bitcoins detached development team. Pls go on!

It's open source. Why not fork and launch your personal revolution? One could argue that's the point of open source.
Because I'd like to give some input into this particular project to make it better. To fork everytime you get upset about some trifle is not the way to go. Im voicing my concerns even of it means to critique. If I have come across a bit harsh, I'd like to apologize because it was not my intent to hurt but to remind everybody what chance we have to turn this project into something unique and powerful. Not the rebuild a rehash of overcome systems.

You could even put in the emission change instamine you were demanding earlier. Tongue

On the contrary, I demanded a longer emission schedule and even offered to slack my stash in half to keep it fair as an early adopter to give Monero a longer lifespan.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:55:28 AM

I like the logo, very professional looking.

This could be a contender of #2 position if the GUI wallet comes along with working anonymity. Looks like its well on its way. I think this coin has huge potential and everyone should be buying and mining some.

Mooooonero!  Grin

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:04:07 AM

On the contrary, I demanded a longer emission schedule and even offered to slack my stash in half to keep it fair as an early adopter to give Monero a longer lifespan.

By the way, I am 100% for reducing emission and slashing our stake.

Smiley

It'll build a stronger price in the next couple of years and we'll get more money per coin than way less money per coin if not.

I vote for reduced emission and slashed stake.
Polycoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:05:18 AM

Smiley

It'll build a stronger price in the next couple of years and we'll get more money per coin than way less money per coin if not.

I vote for an entirely new coin called, Polymero, with a reduced emission and slashed stake.

Polycoin Troopers, Assemble!
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:06:29 AM

Smiley

I vote for an entirely new coin called, Polymero, with a reduced emission and slashed stake.

I'll do the logo.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:07:31 AM

Smiley

Please do. When you fail you make Monero stronger. Oh wait it's already called QCN.
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:07:39 AM

I'll do the logo.

Blasphemy
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:09:11 AM

I'll do the logo.

Blasphemy

Haha you haven't seen my logo skills...

..Let's just say they are below average...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:09:51 AM

Sorry guys, but Im not happy with how things are going! The logo is dull and plain as hell and doesnt stick out among 100 generic insurance company logos you can find in any phone book. Thats not even the troubling part. What really grinds my gears is that apparently you tackle the "professional" approach to run this project from the wrong end, submitting to some BS ISO compliance codes and choosing generic company logos for a project like this in a community like this is clearly the wrong way to go. You are supposed to think outside the box and not try to fit in it! This is the Crypto Revolution and not some credit card scheme 2.0. Please take the courage to be original, the community will thank you for it.

I like the Missives post and hope to see more of it regularly to keep us in the loop. Thats where Monero could shine over Bitcoins detached development team. Pls go on!

It's open source. Why not fork and launch your personal revolution? One could argue that's the point of open source.
Because I'd like to give some input into this particular project to make it better. To fork everytime you get upset about some trifle is not the way to go. Im voicing my concerns even of it means to critique. If I have come across a bit harsh, I'd like to apologize because it was not my intent to hurt but to remind everybody what chance we have to turn this project into something unique and powerful. Not the rebuild a rehash of overcome systems.

It is indeed constructive input and will have an impact. Decisions have to be made and not everyone will be happy with every one but you are definitely heard.
Polycoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:10:42 AM

Smiley

I'll do the logo.

Alright good, I want a painted image of me posing. I know I'm skinny, but paint me with a eight pack and bulging biceps.

Polycoin Troopers, Assemble!
sorryforthat

Activity: 994

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:11:16 AM

Hey, Im a big fan of powerpoint coin logos, lol
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:12:38 AM

Alright good, I want a painted image of me posing. I know I'm skinny, but paint me with a eight pack and bulging biceps.

This I can do!

Hey, Im a big fan of powerpoint coin logos, lol

It's the future...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:15:35 AM

You could even put in the emission change instamine you were demanding earlier. Tongue

Currency is a natural monopoly.  Forking is a form of defection.  Thus I consider it immoral unless there is a compelling justification which outweighs the defection.

This isn't specifically detected at you but I think people get somewhat confused about concepts like natural monopolies and network effect. These are largely descriptive concepts rather than prescriptive. If it is a natural monopoly then in practice one will drive out all others, but the one that does survive has to do a lot right to make it in a (temporarily at least) fiercely competitive environment. I don't discourage or resent forks -- even worthless ones -- the way many of the bitcoin uber alles crowd tend to do. Only by surviving the hits do you demonstrate your fitness.
johncitizen

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:28:28 AM

Im going to be straight up. That logo is absurd.

Great software, great devs. Cant fault that. Marketing is below standard. That logo needs to go. I would like to know what respectable, profit driven pr/marketing firm would endorse such a thing. That is the furtherest image from professional and trustworthy. Truly, I have seen scamcoins produce better. Great marketing comes with a price tag and doesn't come from a basement. Start a donation thread for marketing campaign/development and award the contract to a first class business- That is something I would support.

There seems to be this ridiculous notion in crypto that marketing is the last step or it is of no importance until the "code" is perfect.

You may have the best product in crypto but without marketing, nobody cares. There is a small percentage that have identified the potential but not nearly enough to sustain emission growth. Until your product is portrayed in its proper light people cannot relate.

Investors indirectly secure your blockchain. Without us there is no miner incentive.

There is a bright future for the coin if it can secure market share as the dominant "anon' coin. Take your time and someone will fork cryptonote to make the hottest coin of 2014 (prob some X11 derivative. When X11 is old, they will just hard fork it). Without a doubt some noob is already working on this.

I have no problem with forks. Thats the nature of open source. If your not doing it well, somebody will come along and do it better.

eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:31:22 AM

Ok, point taken. Regarding the ISO 4217 compliance, if you don't do it, others will force it anyway. BTC goes as XBT in the codes used by Bloomberg and Xe, two of the largest finance/currency sites because the X prefix is used for all supranational currencies and commodities. This is also why Ripple is XRP, Counterparty is XCP, and Primecoin is XPM. Part of the reason it makes sense for Monero is to legitimize it further because an anonymous coin is naturally prone to being associated with the black market.
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 03:42:59 AM

Bingo. We talked to actual advertising/marketing professionals independently about which to pick. This was consistently in the top so we deferred to their judgement. 90% of cryptocurrency logos are garbage that solely appeals to 15-25 year-old Western males. This is money, which is something to be used by everybody. Maybe that's not the current state of crypto, but it is the goal in the long run. This is also why this coin is named Monero, not Quazarcoin or something like that. Wink

I think you're taking a professional and forward-thinking approach. And you picked the right logo, regardless of what the rabble here thinks.

The "Monero" text could use some work (aliasing & perhaps a different font choice), and the pallete could be tweaked. But no rush -- that kind of polishing can happen in time, perhaps when you can consult with / employ branding experts.

Also it's worth pointing out: there's a certain level of trolling on these forums in which trolls trash-talk positive developments in the hope of instilling doubt and perhaps even getting those positive changes reversed. Take care when you listen to the community. Consult experts where possible.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:12:29 AM

Currency is a natural monopoly.  Forking is a form of defection.  Thus I consider it immoral unless there is a compelling justification which outweighs the defection.

This isn't specifically detected at you but I think people get somewhat confused about concepts like natural monopolies and network effect. These are largely descriptive concepts rather than prescriptive. If it is a natural monopoly then in practice one will drive out all others, but the one that does survive has to do a lot right to make it in a (temporarily at least) fiercely competitive environment. I don't discourage or resent forks -- even worthless ones -- the way many of the bitcoin uber alles crowd tend to do. Only by surviving the hits do you demonstrate your fitness.

Lest it is non-obvious, I see much of pro-social morality as an iterated prisoner's dilemma.  Defectors are to be shot.  The goal is a win-win scenario.  Winning the competition for monopoly is a question of fitness and survival.  Yes, it is beneficial for forks to form, and selection to occur.  It sucks to be among those culled.  In fact, being culled is not an option, in my book.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:23:47 AM

It's almost always better to buy coins than to mine, but mining is essential, so I hope that every MRO user and holder will mine, if only to protect themselves, and decentralize the network.

That that is your goal (and I wholeheartedly support this goal) then solo mine from the wallet:

[wallet XXX]: start_mining number-of-threads

Maybe you get lucky and score a block but even if you don't you are helping to protect the network.

It is, and I do, except when testing things.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:36:31 AM

Lest it is non-obvious, I see much of pro-social morality as an iterated prisoner's dilemma.  Defectors are to be shot.  The goal is a win-win scenario.  Winning the competition for monopoly is a question of fitness and survival.  Yes, it is beneficial for forks to form, and selection to occur.  It sucks to be among those culled.  In fact, being culled is not an option, in my book.

I'll bet you've never missed a meal in your life.
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:50:23 AM

Cheesy

Pages: « 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: