Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:32:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 [243] 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668440 times)
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 03:08:27 PM

I am very interested in getting to know the community, so feel free to PM or otherwise contact me Smiley
Welcome Risto! This is a privilege to have you here. I wish you pleasant stay.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:30:07 PM

ANN: I have bought into MRO (yes, daring to use that acronym) and rank perhaps between 10-30 largest owners. Reason is that I see it as the #2 coin with most potential second only to Bitcoin. It is my first and only alt investment.

Here is a thread with mostly very good general discussion on altcoins.

I am very interested in getting to know the community, so feel free to PM or otherwise contact me Smiley

You don't know me, but I have followed you from the wall street observer thread and your own in (speculation forum).  I do enjoy reading your posts and they are well thought out.  
+ you have an awsome castle  Wink

Becareful in these alt's section.  90% of these are pump and dumps and once people know or realise who you are they might try to get your attention into a coin.  You have enough btc to make the big whales on the exchanges look like small fish  Wink

I am actually a bit excited that your involved in Monero

take care
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:31:36 PM

ANN: I have bought into MRO (yes, daring to use that acronym) and rank perhaps between 10-30 largest owners. Reason is that I see it as the #2 coin with most potential second only to Bitcoin. It is my first and only alt investment.

Are you related to Amphibian... the FantomCoin Dev?
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:05:05 PM

Because I'd like to give some input into this particular project to make it better. To fork everytime you get upset about some trifle is not the way to go. Im voicing my concerns even of it means to critique. If I have come across a bit harsh, I'd like to apologize because it was not my intent to hurt but to remind everybody what chance we have to turn this project into something unique and powerful. Not the rebuild a rehash of overcome systems.

Ok, point taken. Regarding the ISO 4217 compliance, if you don't do it, others will force it anyway. BTC goes as XBT in the codes used by Bloomberg and Xe, two of the largest finance/currency sites because the X prefix is used for all supranational currencies and commodities. This is also why Ripple is XRP, Counterparty is XCP, and Primecoin is XPM. Part of the reason it makes sense for Monero is to legitimize it further because an anonymous coin is naturally prone to being associated with the black market.

ISO 4217 was definitely not deviced with crypto currencies in mind. In only 3 letters with 1 already reserved (X), there is simply not enough name space to represent all relevant crypto currencies in a recognizable way. Furthermore submitting to those established standards means to submit to the establishment.

Your logo choice exemplifies this course of action further. It is arguably plain and doesnt have any special features that express anything Monero stands for (whatever that is). Id like to understand your reasoning behind your choice. If you indeed payed a professional company to design it for you, they will have certainly asked what you would like to express with it and what your vision is for this project. From what they delivered, I can only tell that you try to fit in with the established norms and customs. If you hope to fleece regulators and the scrutiny of law makers with this approach, I can assure you that you will only get so far before they uncover the anonymous and "potentially dangerous" nature of this technology. You can cloak this project as plainly as you like, you wont hide from their scrutiny for long. When it comes to open arguments among SEC, FinTrac, Monero community & Co. your cover will be blown and you have to come up with some good arguments to justify the degree of privacy Monero dares to provide. Rather then trying to doge the magic bullet, I would advise you to openly tackle the debate with arguments of rights to privacy, abuse of administrative power and civil liberties. Maybe not today but in the foreseeable future you have to step up to the challenge.

Keep making your points, man.

It's troubling to see out-of-control HUBRIS...
From unpaid Devs that hijacked a coin, have no wallet and only 250 reddits...
Are now talking Bloomberg terminals... and Bitcoin is already in the rear-view mirror.

Even the Big Swinging Dicks are here!!!

"Your logo choice exemplifies this course of action further. It is arguably plain and doesnt have any special features that express anything Monero stands for (whatever that is)."

Industrial orange is a much hated color, VERY hard on the eyes...
The plain Bitcoin logo is brilliant and stylish in comparison (a clever play on $ and gold).
pandacoin
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:08:57 PM

Are you related to Amphibian... the FantomCoin Dev?

What kind of question is this? He is rpietila, one of the kings of Bitcoin world. Wink
I'm glad you are here Risto. I'm following you and I bought a lot of MRO, too.
blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Who cares?

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:17:55 PM

Welcome Cthulhu of Bitcoin, it's great to see you have an interest in Monero!
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 05:42:25 PM

I was in mexico last year, and I saw dollar being marketed every where. I saw this in canada too. The dollar is markted everywhere. you are right, a currency to be dominant needs to be markted first. the country that backs it is of little to no significance.

I lol'd, but it took me a few minutes to realise it was sarcastic;)

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 05:57:42 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 06:40:22 PM by fluffypony

ISO 4217 was definitely not deviced with crypto currencies in mind. In only 3 letters with 1 already reserved (X), there is simply not enough name space to represent all relevant crypto currencies in a recognizable way. Furthermore submitting to those established standards means to submit to the establishment.

Your logo choice exemplifies this course of action further. It is arguably plain and doesnt have any special features that express anything Monero stands for (whatever that is). Id like to understand your reasoning behind your choice. If you indeed payed a professional company to design it for you, they will have certainly asked what you would like to express with it and what your vision is for this project. From what they delivered, I can only tell that you try to fit in with the established norms and customs. If you hope to fleece regulators and the scrutiny of law makers with this approach, I can assure you that you will only get so far before they uncover the anonymous and "potentially dangerous" nature of this technology. You can cloak this project as plainly as you like, you wont hide from their scrutiny for long. When it comes to open arguments among SEC, FinTrac, Monero community & Co. your cover will be blown and you have to come up with some good arguments to justify the degree of privacy Monero dares to provide. Rather then trying to doge the magic bullet, I would advise you to openly tackle the debate with arguments of rights to privacy, abuse of administrative power and civil liberties. Maybe not today but in the foreseeable future you have to step up to the challenge.

What's SEC and FinTrac got to do with anything? Nearly the entirety of the core team live outside of the United States - I am in South Africa and davidlatapie is in France, for instance. The SEC and FinTrac can do whatever they want, it doesn't affect us, nor do we have to engage with them. This isn't the "Monero Foundation" (such a thing would never exist), this is the core team moving the project along regardless of what sovereign states and individuals choose to do (or not do) with it. We neither need their blessing nor yours.

The rest of your arguments are quite absurd - how does ISO compliance mean "submitting to the establishment"? You understand that none of your devices would work, you wouldn't be able to use the Internet, so much of what you do would be impossible without bodies like the ISO and the IEEE? Compliance with internationally recognised standards is not "submitting to the establishment".

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 06:26:17 PM

"Your logo choice exemplifies this course of action further. It is arguably plain and doesnt have any special features that express anything Monero stands for (whatever that is)."

Industrial orange is a much hated color, VERY hard on the eyes...
The plain Bitcoin logo is brilliant and stylish in comparison (a clever play on $ and gold).

Incidentally, the Bitcoin logo you espouse only came about after nearly 2 years.

Back in the days we had this awesome logo (August 2009)

Eventually in June 2010 Satoshi Nakamoto himself added this beauty.

That crappy icon stayed, despite BitBoy having released his flat icons in November 2010, and was even updated to this bigger version in 2011.

You'll be pleased to know that the icon you so love was finally added in May 2013, 4.5 years after Bitcoin was released.

Will Monero have the same logo in mid-2018? Who knows, we're absolutely open to improving things as time goes on. But for the foreseeable future, it is our logo.

eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:36:51 PM

The rest of your arguments are quite absurd - how does ISO compliance mean "submitting to the establishment"? You understand that none of your devices would work, you wouldn't be able to use the Internet, so much of what you do would be impossible without bodies like the ISO and the IEEE? Compliance with internationally recognised standards is not "submitting to the establishment"

Heh, I'm not the only one that noticed the self-parody of railing against "the establishment" on the internet.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:54:57 PM

The rest of your arguments are quite absurd - how does ISO compliance mean "submitting to the establishment"? You understand that none of your devices would work, you wouldn't be able to use the Internet, so much of what you do would be impossible without bodies like the ISO and the IEEE? Compliance with internationally recognised standards is not "submitting to the establishment", and claiming so just makes you look like a libertard.

Does the internet not work on devices for BTC(!) applications? It does and people get accustomed to new ways of doing things. I realize the importance of international standards. In order to shape a favourable future for crypto currencies we have to take a pro active approach to push the boundaries and establish new standards though. If Satoshi would have adhered to common practice and standards, Bitcoin would never have been conceived.

What's SEC and FinTrac got to do with anything? Nearly the entirety of the core team live outside of the United States - I am in South Africa and davidlatapie is in France, for instance. The SEC and FinTrac can do whatever they want, it doesn't affect us, nor do we have to engage with them. This isn't the "Monero Foundation" (such a thing would never exist), this is the core team moving the project along regardless of what sovereign states and individuals choose to do (or not do) with it. We neither need their blessing nor yours.

SEC and FinTrac are just examples for any such agencies all over the world that try to legislate and regulate financial tools and money flows. ZA has them, France and all the other countries also do. When Monero has grown large enough to step out of Bitcoins long shadow those agencies plus central banks and governments (plus NGOs against money laundering, child abuse, drug traffic,..) will engage Monero and try to get it under their thumb. So you WILL have to face them sooner or later. There are two strategies you can pursue: either face them proactively at the right time and explain the merits for economy and civil liberties your system provides much like Bitcoin does right now, or go underground from the beginning and basically accept that Monero will be labeled criminal and forbidden in most juristictions. In the latter case your choices of short code and logo dont line up so I have hopes that you will pursue the open approach to main stream because, lets face it, ban and criminalization of Monero on a large scale is the far less attractive scenario.

Maybe you would like to step out of the lime light and reject responsibility for what is coming, call yourself a developer like Gavin and try to avoid having to make political decisions. Like it or not, each technical decision is a political decision. What you guys write into the code marks the barring for what is built on top of it. Make Monero as anonymous as possible and you make a political decision, introduce black lists (red lists á la Mike Hearn) and you make a political decision. It's in your power to make the right one. Luckily the community can help you guys to find the way. In this regard an open discussion regarding self-conception and strategy of this project is very important and about due. I encourage everybody to take part!
gminerz

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:15:27 PM

this is way stupid, all 30-120sec coins are filling my hd and they all yet some months old...
even bitcoin takes less space and time , guess why?
othe

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:19:13 PM

this is way stupid, all 30-120sec coins are filling my hd and they all yet some months old...

Because we have no Database yet and because we have 1 Minute blocktimes so you need to save 10x more blocks than Bitcoin?

gminerz

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:20:36 PM

Because we have no Database yet and because we have 1 Minute blocktimes so you need to save 10x more blocks than Bitcoin?

yep! would greater blocktime be for the future?

even if the diff will go up, but i think solo times are way over, (and the orphans...)
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:54:22 PM

Hearing positive things about this coin, will do some research  Smiley
yangtaosn

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:16:33 PM

2014-Jun-04 04:13:03.981774 Error: transaction <f2ad7f4a6628e8f3988467cc4fa82c8bcfee2040b4fcf0a8964030a42307ccd8> is too big. Transaction size: 102845 bytes, transaction size limit: 24400 bytes
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 08:19:55 PM

Maybe you would like to step out of the lime light and reject responsibility for what is coming, call yourself a developer like Gavin and try to avoid having to make political decisions. Like it or not, each technical decision is a political decision. What you guys write into the code marks the barring for what is built on top of it. Make Monero as anonymous as possible and you make a political decision, introduce black lists (red lists á la Mike Hearn) and you make a political decision. It's in your power to make the right one. Luckily the community can help you guys to find the way. In this regard an open discussion regarding self-conception and strategy of this project is very important and about due. I encourage everybody to take part!

Not every implementation of financial privacy is or should be a platform for political activism.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
TTM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:22:15 PM

2014-Jun-04 04:13:03.981774 Error: transaction <f2ad7f4a6628e8f3988467cc4fa82c8bcfee2040b4fcf0a8964030a42307ccd8> is too big. Transaction size: 102845 bytes, transaction size limit: 24400 bytes

What's your mixin_count value ? Try to set it smaller, 1 is usually enough for your anonymous transaction.
instacalm

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:26:51 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 08:48:49 PM by instacash

New to Monero -- does this project have a multiplatform GUI client in the making?
blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Who cares?

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:32:19 PM

Excuse my ignorance, new to Monero -- does this project have a multiplatform GUI client in the making?

Yep, there are actually a couple of people working on different implementations.  There is a bounty link on the OP, you can get a feel for the progress that has been made so far.
Pages: « 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 [243] 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: