Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:39:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 [685] 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668401 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 12:16:01 AM

Awesome! Good job guys! Smiley

I'm eager to learn more about the MRL. Is there a mailing list or something?

Ditto.

There is no mailing list at this time. Any work from the lab will be publicly distributed through the usual channels.

IF the scope expands beyond the current paper writing then we will create more infrastructure for it.

PeaMine

Activity: 979
Merit: 510

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 12:30:53 AM

I upgraded to a new machine and copied over my wallet.bin wallet.bin.keys and then started the new version I just downloaded today, but my address has changed in simplewallet.
I made sure to load the proper old wallet.bin file.
Is there something else special I can do?
Any way to get my old address back?  I have the viewkey as well.

Datacenter Technician and Electrician.  If you have any questions feel free to ask me as I am generally bored looking at logs and happy to help during free time.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 12:44:05 AM

Important notice: this is not a core dev announcement. This is just me as an individual and of course, I get absolutely nothing in return with this post, which is a spontaneous one.

Just a note to announce we are on a new exchange called coin-swap.net/ (https://coin-swap.net/market/XMR/BTC).
coin-swap was among the first one to accept Mintcoin, the first altcoin I ever got (I was not dev, just holder) - by then you could exchange mostly any coin to any coin, but the concept did not become popular so the site was refactored into a much more traditional exchange.

Later, coin-swap was the very first exchange to accept the other coin I develop, HYP. So I know the folks well and coinswap-ian, the owner, and coinswap-jeremy, the new assistant, are nice and helpful on IRC.

Finally and that's probably the most important for most: several times per month, there will be no buying fees for XMR during 24 hours. And this is the case right now ("Coin of the Day Monero (XMR) No buy fees for this market!").

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 12:49:05 AM

I upgraded to a new machine and copied over my wallet.bin wallet.bin.keys and then started the new version I just downloaded today, but my address has changed in simplewallet.
I made sure to load the proper old wallet.bin file.
Is there something else special I can do?
Any way to get my old address back?  I have the viewkey as well.

That is very strange. It seems you may have created a new wallet instead of restoring the old one.

Hopefully you have safe backup copies of your wallet.bin.keys file that are separate from whatever you are using to try to restore. When working with wallet files always make sure you have good backups stored somewhere else so you can't mess them up.

That being the case, move all of the new wallet files somewhere else, make a new copy of your safely-stored wallet.bin.keys making sure there are no other wallet files there at all. Load into simplewallet.

If you don't get the same address at that point, you have gotten your wallet.bin.keys files mixed up.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4920

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 12:49:29 AM

in the u.s. your rights of privacy and anonymity are constituionally guaranteed.  it is likely that totalitarian regimes will outlaw anonymizing technologies, albeit with very limited success.  the likelihood of criminalization of anonymizing tech in western liberal democracies generally is zero.

By Law you must provide Identification any time it is demanded by authorities whether they are in the right to ask for it or not.

This is not accurate.  There are specific circumstances where ID must be provided or it entitles them to take some specific actions.
Authorities are always entitled to ask, but then so are you.

It's called Obstruction and you can sue civil if they demand it illegally but have fun with that.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 01:16:01 AM

Monero Massifs

September 15th, 2014

Hello, and welcome to our twelfth Monero Missive! This is our first Missive after a bit of a break whilst we thwarted two related blockchain attacks. Nonetheless, we have not sat by idly, we have been finalising and completing a brand new aspect of Monero designed to protect your privacy now and in the future

Cool  Cool  Cool

This is the best one yet.  The Monero Research Lab papers, especially the second one, are top-notch.   

What is the downside to keeping transaction fees high?  Shouldn't the blockchain continue selling it's scarce real estate at a premium, given XMR's exclusive features of high liquidity privacy-as-a-service?

I am a happy cargo cultist today!   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:31:48 AM

Monero Massifs

September 15th, 2014

Hello, and welcome to our twelfth Monero Missive! This is our first Missive after a bit of a break whilst we thwarted two related blockchain attacks. Nonetheless, we have not sat by idly, we have been finalising and completing a brand new aspect of Monero designed to protect your privacy now and in the future

Cool  Cool  Cool

This is the best one yet.  The Monero Research Lab papers, especially the second one, are top-notch.   

What is the downside to keeping transaction fees high?  Shouldn't the blockchain continue selling it's scarce real estate at a premium, given XMR's exclusive features of high liquidity privacy-as-a-service?

I am a happy cargo cultist today!   Grin

scare real estate? The network can handle many more transactions then it does now Smiley

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
albert3

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:36:27 AM

cant send XMR to Polo walllet says
Error:Failed to find a suitable way to split transaction

Is that mean I have to send in small increments ? with the high fee,you loose XMR already before you can start trading Sad

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:36:34 AM

It isn't so much a question of high vs. low as it is being more efficient. Small transactions don't take up more of that scarce real estate, so they don't need to be charged as much. We want neither unsustainably low fees (especially for large transactions) nor unnecessarily high fees (for small ones).

Whether it is "scarce" or not requires finding a balance. If the block chain is allowed to bloat up to terabytes while there is relatively little meaningful economic activity taking place it will be prohibitive to even run a node. Terabytes at some time in the future when the network is hugely important and processing trillions of USD-equivalent worth of transactions (and more's law means a throw-away obsolete thumb drive might be a TB) would be just fine

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:38:11 AM

with the high fee,you loose XMR already before you can start trading Sad

If you are mining, you are receiving the fees as well as paying them.

I don't know what the problem is with your wallet (post more specific information if any) but I would guess that sending in smaller chunks will be a successful work-around.
infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:50:43 AM

I don't know what the problem is with your wallet (post more specific information if any) but I would guess that sending in smaller chunks will be a successful work-around.

Wouldn't the fee have to be paid for each chunk, thus increasing the fee?

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
albert3

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:52:37 AM

wallet is from the newly release client ,I'm able to sent 100 XMR seems to be most I can send,from this wallet
specific info? like what I posted after hitting enter on the wallet in red color it says.Error:Failed to find a suitable way to split transactions
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:59:48 AM

Wouldn't the fee have to be paid for each chunk, thus increasing the fee?

You can try to maximize the amount you send in each transaction for the current fixed fee. That's all that would happen if the transaction could automatically be broken up. So start with a larger amount and gradually decrease it until it works. That should be close to the maximum size transaction (so minimum fee per byte).
kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 02:07:37 AM

XMR doing really good Smiley

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:15:55 AM

wallet is from the newly release client ,I'm able to sent 100 XMR seems to be most I can send,from this wallet
specific info? like what I posted after hitting enter on the wallet in red color it says.Error:Failed to find a suitable way to split transactions

This usually happens if it fails to find a way to make a tx within the given max tx size. I would try sending smaller amounts.

Still, strange to see you get that error.

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/83276bf92d44c1aa1b6acbd9879f70e806f12af6/src/simplewallet/simplewallet.cpp#L1011-L1014

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
PeaMine

Activity: 979
Merit: 510

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:44:47 AM

That is very strange. It seems you may have created a new wallet instead of restoring the old one.

Hopefully you have safe backup copies of your wallet.bin.keys file that are separate from whatever you are using to try to restore. When working with wallet files always make sure you have good backups stored somewhere else so you can't mess them up.

That being the case, move all of the new wallet files somewhere else, make a new copy of your safely-stored wallet.bin.keys making sure there are no other wallet files there at all. Load into simplewallet.

If you don't get the same address at that point, you have gotten your wallet.bin.keys files mixed up.

I backed up the right roaming folder, but wrong wallet.bin perhaps.
I have the correct viewkey though, is there a way to recover with that and the original address?
If not, at least I emptied it out a month ago, so not too much pain.

Datacenter Technician and Electrician.  If you have any questions feel free to ask me as I am generally bored looking at logs and happy to help during free time.
albert3

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:48:03 AM

Quote from: tacotime
This usually happens if it fails to find a way to make a tx within the given max tx size. I would try sending smaller amounts.

yeah i was able to send 100 XMR , seems 100 at a time is my max I can send from this wallet , actually the tx is not that bad if I can send 100 XMR at a time Grin
spatula

Activity: 507

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:55:08 AM

yeah i was able to send 100 XMR , seems 100 at a time is my max I can send from this wallet , actually the tx is not that bad if I can send 100 XMR at a time Grin

Around 100 XMR per transaction seems to be my limit as well.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:58:47 AM

Monero Missives

September 15th, 2014

5. We have a new tagged release, 0.8.8.4, available for download (binaries: Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD). This adds the following features:

• Testnet: we now have an operating testnet. When using bitmonerod or simplewallet you can now use the --testnet flag to use testnet instead of mainnet. Feel free to run a mining node or just a testnet node, we will be setting up email alerts for testnet nodes when an update is pending (although having a few older testnet nodes on the network won't hurt testing).
  • FreeBSD Compatability: Monero now works on FreeBSD out the box. We will add it to the ports tree soon. At the moment compilation is no different from regular Linux and Unix compilation, and the same dependencies apply.
  • GPG commits: we have begun GPG-signing commits and merges. This is an important step in maintaining the integrity of the codebase, and will ensure that any compromise of our computers or even the github account won't allow a malicious attacker to push code to the repository without the unsigned commits being spotted. Verification can be done by running 'git log --show-signature', which will show and verify signatures. An example of what you should see is below:

• Versioning: versioning is a lot easier, now, as tagged releases from 0.8.8.4 onwards will show version-final (eg. 0.8.8.4-final) as their version, and those built between tagged releases will show version-commithash (eg. 0.8.8.4-9088ea1). We expect this will greatly aid in debugging problems, as we can immediately pinpoint the actual version / commit a user is on.
  • Logging: default log levels have been adjusted so that non-critical warnings are now relegated to log-level 1 and above. Apart from the normal reorganisation notifications, the only messages in red that should show up in the daemon are actual errors.

- updated by fluffypony

I downloaded the update.  Really strange getting no error messages Grin  Is there a reason the update is not on the first page?

I had set up a second wallet which is empty.  I erased the contents of the file associated with that wallet as I confused it with the simple wallet log file.  I thought each wallet had it's own log file but I guess not.  I figured it wasn't correct but did it anyway as it was empty.  The help menu in my working wallet shows nothing for restoring a wallet.  I checked the FAQ and it says that when restoring a wallet from seed it will ask for a NEW name and NEW password.  I would really like to keep both the name and pw.  Is there something else I can do?  I have the keys file.  
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:59:42 AM

Around 100 XMR per transaction seems to be my limit as well.

It depends on the value of your inputs. I don't know the exact cutoff but if you aren't using mixing you can fit around 200 inputs in one transaction. So at 0.5 XMR per input that would be around 100 XMR. If your inputs are larger or smaller the maximum value of the TX will change accordingly.

Pages: « 1 ... 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 [685] 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: