Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:48:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 [715] 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667403 times)
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:27:53 PM

via Imgflip Meme Maker

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 10:30:31 PM

talking about how the devs are losing their motivation, that they dont feel like putting in the extra effort like they used to

PLEASE just give a detailed breakdown of [what] they need, LIKE A REGULAR COMPANY

Before we all started chasing BCX and TFM's shiny new objects, discussion was underway about reaching funding goals.

Since we have some time to kill before the moment of truth, let's get back to that.

A 1% devtax on mined blocks (excluding tx fees) would provide devs with motivation for putting in continuing/extra effort.

In addition to previously listed items, we should consider keeping funds in reserve to pay for bug bounties and network defense (IE VPS rentals to host known good nodes while under attack).

I proposed a "retroactive pre-mine" in the form of a Bootstrap Block containing 1% of all XMR, which is 184,000 coins.

The 184k XMR/$300k it provides seems sufficient to fund the following to at least alpha testing:

$100k - refactor codebase
$50k - security audits
$50k - integrate DB
$25k - complete I2P
$25k - Official Wallet
$15k - bug bounties
$15k - p2pool
$15k - trustless web wallet
$5k - network defense fund

Are these numbers too high, low, or just about right?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
psterryl

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:36:09 PM

Fixed that for you. Wink

For some background info on just how upstanding a character Bobsurplus is, I'd recommend this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=730880.0

BTW how long were you banned for again?
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:43:12 PM

talking about how the devs are losing their motivation, that they dont feel like putting in the extra effort like they used to

PLEASE just give a detailed breakdown of [what] they need, LIKE A REGULAR COMPANY

Before we all started chasing BCX and TFM's shiny new objects, discussion was underway about reaching funding goals.

Since we have some time to kill before the moment of truth, let's get back to that.

A 1% devtax on mined blocks (excluding tx fees) would provide devs with motivation for putting in continuing/extra effort.

In addition to previously listed items, we should consider keeping funds in reserve to pay for bug bounties and network defense (IE VPS rentals to host known good nodes while under attack).

I proposed a "retroactive pre-mine" in the form of a Bootstrap Block containing 1% of all XMR, which is 184,000 coins.

The 184k XMR/$300k it provides seems sufficient to fund the following to at least alpha testing:

$50k - security audits
$50k - integrate DB
$25k - complete I2P
$25k - Official Wallet
$15k - bug bounties
$15k - p2pool

LOL, on the eve before the eve of your destruction you're looking to raise 300K from the community that you and your dev team clearly said are not investors... Huh

You cant have it both ways kiddo!!

This song reminds me of whats coming up for you guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLsElbW9Xo
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:44:23 PM

Fixed that for you. Wink

For some background info on just how upstanding a character Bobsurplus is, I'd recommend this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=730880.0

BTW how long were you banned for again?

Have you even read that thread?

Dont you see.... my members make money... we leave coins better off and everyone is happy. What's your problem??
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:45:19 PM

$50k - security audits
$50k - integrate DB
$25k - complete I2P
$25k - Official Wallet
$15k - bug bounties
$15k - p2pool

I'll share some of my personal thoughts. The core team has not really addressed this as a group.

DB seems a bit high if it doesn't include work already done (although some of that has been paid for out-of-pocket by the core team and should ultimately be repaid out of the dev budget).
p2pool seems low especially given ongoing development. (This is not a modification of the existing p2pool, which is largely unmaintainable, but a new solution based on some of the same concepts.)
$5K "network defense fund" might well be small if the attackers are better funded than that or multiple attacks occur, both of which are entirely plausible.
Other needs will undoubtedly appear, beyond a low level of ongoing maintenance that can be paid out of 1% of block rewards, at least at current prices.

In genreal I would suggest that if we are going to do this, that we just go ahead and make the "post-sale" bigger, provide for a larger fund that can be used on a more ongoing basis to hire expert developers and generally ensure that the project is adequately funded going forward. As a benchmark, how much funding did VIA raise? Funds that turn out not to be needed can be returned to the community in some manner tbd.

MEW is also working on a funding model based on memership fees and dev donations, so that should be factored into it. MEW is being launched Tuesday, according to the recent post, so more information should be available then.

Of course with more funds in an account intended for longer-term use there is more responsibility to ensure it isn't wasted or stolen so issues like oversight (as we previously discussed a bit) come to the fore.

Thanks for keeping going with this, and especially not being too distracted by attempts to distract us.
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:47:21 PM

$50k - security audits
$50k - integrate DB
$25k - complete I2P
$25k - Official Wallet
$15k - bug bounties
$15k - p2pool

I'm not opposed to a plan like that, but I believe the emission rate should be slowed if we do that, both to combat inflation and keep the mining end date roughly the same, if not extended out even further.
psterryl

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:55:09 PM

Dont you see.... my members make money... we leave coins better off and everyone is happy. What's your problem??

You. You are my problem. You and your unrelenting attack on Monero and Monero developers/supporters. You and your shilling for your latest pump-of-the-day (stealthcoin in this case). Your very presence in this thread is my problem.

I could ask you the same thing. What's your problem with Monero? You obviously don't own any and you've made it clear that you (or rather your "tech advisor" that we all supposedly look up to) think everyone is going to lose everything in 2 days time, so I don't see what purpose your continued posting here serves.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:57:07 PM

Bobsurplus is beyond pathetic. Every month or so he choose a new coin to shill for. He used to spam the Darkcoin thread with Cloakcoin advertising, now he comes here to propagate new nonsense. The coins change, but the nonsense he spews follows the same formula.

I'd also like to point out that when I was on the drk thread cloak was trading at around 50K sat maybe up to about 80K sat. It then went to over 350K sat, with 1000+ volume days for weeks.... Lottttts of money was made and lost.

Actually, you were there all the way through claiming how CLOAK was so technologically superior, and how did that end? I hope you have different "tech guy" this time.

You may want to also look into the code vetting done by Dan Metcalf of XC.

His Keycoin review didn't say anything you couldn't have said just by simply looking at the very abstract picture they had published.
Also the Stealthcoin "review" I found is just him trying out the sms text send and saying "it works" lol.

But what can you expect if you try to "review" something like that in a day or w/e he used for it when for example it took Kristov Atlas many weeks of hard work to review Darkcoin.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:59:24 PM

$50k - security audits
$50k - integrate DB
$25k - complete I2P
$25k - Official Wallet
$15k - bug bounties
$15k - p2pool

I'm not opposed to a plan like that, but I believe the emission rate should be slowed if we do that, both to combat inflation and keep the mining end date roughly the same, if not extended out even further.

I expect a fork to result.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:01:43 PM

You. You are my problem. You and your unrelenting attack on Monero and Monero developers/supporters. You and your shilling for your latest pump-of-the-day (stealthcoin in this case). Your very presence in this thread is my problem.

I could ask you the same thing. What's your problem with Monero? You obviously don't own any and you've made it clear that you (or rather your "tech advisor" that we all supposedly look up to) think everyone is going to lose everything in 2 days time, so I don't see what purpose your continued posting here serves.

LMAO... I love getting under you BCT bagholders skins... Dont you get it.. I'm here to save potential investors a lot of money by voicing my opinion on this dying coin you call Monero. Anyone jumping onto this shinking ship deserves what's coming to them. It's that simple.

Stealthcoin is a winner and not my latest pump of the day. I get behind coins with innovation, great devs, community and potential. You're sitting here talking like xmr is a winner.. Its not though....
Suck it up.. You #PickedWrong and that sucks, but it's not too late for you to move on and make some real profits.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:03:57 PM

Stealthcoin is a winner and not my latest pump of the day.

Saving this one for when you have a new latest pump of the day.
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:10:26 PM

Bob, if I ask really nicely, will you cease posting here? [I can try, can't I?]

You shared your opinion, and unlike other threads, your anti-XMR posts don't get deleted 'round here.

Maybe I/we can sincerely wish you the best, as you depart this thread, having expressed your feelings and thoughts several times.

XMR  <hearts>  haters Kiss

Time spent posting here means less time doing what you do for your coins and people. Return to them, full of pride, and celebrate yourselves.

You guys deserve it! Smiley
psterryl

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:10:54 PM

Stealthcoin is a winner and not my latest pump of the day. I get behind coins with innovation, great devs, community and potential. You're sitting here talking like xmr is a winner.. Its not though....
Suck it up.. You #PickedWrong and that sucks, but it's not too late for you to move on and make some real profits.

Just like the unmitigated innovation, developer competency, community and potential of Cloakcoin. Because you got behind that one. Right? Talk about picking a winner!

Anyway I have better things to be doing with my time than sitting here going round in circles with egotistical asshats like yourself!

In two days time I fully expect you to be proven wrong with your Monero doomsday fantasies. Call it five, so the developers have some time to remedy the situation in the unlikely event that some sort of attack actually does go ahead. If after five days, Monero is but a smouldering wreck of a cryptocurrency, I will apologise to you unreservedly and eat a hefty slice of humble pie. But for the time being I have lost interest in continuing discourse with someone whose motivations are as transparent as yours. Until then, adieu.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:12:30 PM

$50k - security audits
$50k - integrate DB
$25k - complete I2P
$25k - Official Wallet
$15k - bug bounties
$15k - p2pool

Is your response was directed to infofront only?  
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:21:20 PM

Is your response was directed to infofront only?  

It's a general comment which would apply to any substantive changes to the basic scheme of the coin.  Bad timing to even have to discuss this now, but there it is.  Game it out.  What do you expect?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:29:21 PM

Talking about FUD and potential attacks here isn't going to do much good. I think iCEBREAKER is right about needing to get back to a somewhat normal state of affairs.
Mumbles

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:49:49 PM

I have been mildly critical of the XMR developers in the past for their slow progress on fronts such as db, GUI, etc... But having read all of the exploit FUD thread and this thread, and reviewed the potential issues with some very talented math folks I know, I want to say that I am really positively impressed with the dev team. You guys have really handled the various attackers and FUDders with calm and reasonable approach, have done a lot of extra diligence, and prepared for how you would handle a vulnerability should one be discovered. Really appreciate all you have done and my respect for the team and their work has really increased a lot in the past few days. I think this is going to make the XMR community even stronger and the coin even more solid going forward.

I have only one suggestion for things you can do better during this crisis and that is to not repsond to obvious trolls/idiots like BobSurplus. You just give them a forum to spout their nonsense and they ignore any evidence or proof you offer anyway, so there is nothing to gain. Just let them spout off and you continue to advise the community on your progress and evaluations as they come up. Keep up the good work, we definitely appreciate it.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 12:05:06 AM

I'll share some of my personal thoughts. The core team has not really addressed this as a group.

DB seems a bit high if it doesn't include work already done (although some of that has been paid for out-of-pocket by the core team and should ultimately be repaid out of the dev budget).
p2pool seems low especially given ongoing development. (This is not a modification of the existing p2pool, which is largely unmaintainable, but a new solution based on some of the same concepts.)
$5K "network defense fund" might well be small if the attackers are better funded than that or multiple attacks occur, both of which are entirely plausible.
Other needs will undoubtedly appear, beyond a low level of ongoing maintenance that can be paid out of 1% of block rewards, at least at current prices.

In genreal I would suggest that if we are going to do this, that we just go ahead and make the "post-sale" bigger, provide for a larger fund that can be used on a more ongoing basis to hire expert developers and generally ensure that the project is adequately funded going forward. As a benchmark, how much funding did VIA raise? Funds that turn out not to be needed can be returned to the community in some manner tbd.

MEW is also working on a funding model based on memership fees and dev donations, so that should be factored into it. MEW is being launched Tuesday, according to the recent post, so more information should be available then.

Of course with more funds in an account intended for longer-term use there is more responsibility to ensure it isn't wasted or stolen so issues like oversight (as we previously discussed a bit) come to the fore.

Thanks for keeping going with this, and especially not being too distracted by attempts to distract us.

VIA raised 610BTC, via a presale of about 10% of total coins.

Other than emulating the mechanics of their scrupulous, very well done presale, I can't recommend going much further in that direction.

It would be selling Monero short if we sold 10% of it for a measly 610BTC.  And it runs afoul of social contract considerations.

I'd be OK with doubling the bootstrap to a 2% presale.  Anything more would seriously test the bounds of acceptability, and give the impetus to fork additional energy.

Be careful about advocating for a bigger "post-sale."  As a core dev, the knives are already out for you, and anything that may be twisted into the appearance of impropriety will be, with relish.   Tongue  Another consideration is market fatigue, IE the larger our pre-sale the lower the diminished marginal return per coin.

I may join the MEW, but at first glance do not like their 'membership fee' approach to dev funding.  It seems too centralized and cliquish for a true FOSS project, while allowing outsiders to ride free on their/our contributions.

This will be the first, and only, time I will agree with David Lapatie and take the pinko socialist position in favor of a wealth tax, albeit flat and thus fairly apportioned.   Cheesy

Let's run the numbers for a 2% bootstrap, taking your feedback into account.

The 368k XMR/$600k it provides seems sufficient to fund the following to at least alpha testing, and provide a semi-comfortable reserve going forward:

$50k - security audits
$50k - integrate DB
$25k - complete I2P
$25k - Official Wallet
$25k - p2pool
$25k - bug bounties
$25k - network defense fund
$25k - trustless web wallet

Now we've got $350k of initial expenses, which would leave $250k in the war chest.

Given that a 1% Bootstrap pre-sale (with some luck and contributions from the MEW) would raise about $350k, I'm not yet convinced of the need for a larger one.

For what do you anticipate the potential $250k reserve being needed, and couldn't that be covered by the ongoing mining tax?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:06:38 AM

Please keep your crybabies out of the Stealthcoin thread!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681725.msg8919046#msg8919046

That thread is for winners only. Not whiny babies.

Thanks.
Pages: « 1 ... 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 [715] 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: