Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:26:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] MON | Monocle | Merge Mined on VTC Vertcoin - No Premine - Scrypt-N  (Read 145882 times)
hyeoam

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:30:25 PM

Charts here: http://crypto-prices.com/MON

Donate BTC: 1NRG17fYCNcfQvQHC3G9TUAowNKsM4oTWA
silencesilence
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 09:30:40 PM

Would someone make Monocle rich list?

it is important to know how coins are distributed  Wink
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:47:45 PM

Someone clued me into Monocle and I was going to load up but when I tried to download the wallet Norton antivirus said it was infected and sent it to quarantine. I would like to buy some monocle but is there a clean wallet available? I'm not interested in "false positive" explanations. Is there a wallet that does not trip my antivirus?

If you're really that paranoid why not just run it in a VM? No stupid virus false positives in linux, and then you have it confined to virtual machine anyway.
Brilliance

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 10:37:44 AM

Someone clued me into Monocle and I was going to load up but when I tried to download the wallet Norton antivirus said it was infected and sent it to quarantine. I would like to buy some monocle but is there a clean wallet available? I'm not interested in "false positive" explanations. Is there a wallet that does not trip my antivirus?

I have been using the Monocle wallet since launch on multiple computers and I haven't had any trouble with it. It would be preferable that the wallet wouldn't trip any false positives but I wouldn't let that stop me from installing it. I haven't heard of any problems with this wallet regarding safety.

Just stock up on those MONs while you can at this price! At least that's what I do!  Grin
S_tring

Activity: 252
Merit: 102

OPEN Platform - Powering Blockchain Acceptance

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:52:33 AM

Generate a paper wallet.

OPEN Platform | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱Blockchain's First Payment API❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 10:21:37 PM

If you're really that paranoid why not just run it in a VM? No stupid virus false positives in linux, and then you have it confined to virtual machine anyway.

Like MOST people I know very little about vm or linux. Altcoins started with techies but a lot of us late arrivers are not interested in mechanics. If a wallet is hot on Norton antivirus most people, including virtually all new folks, will not use it. You can call me paranoid or whatever you want. As long as your wallet trips Norton, people will not buy it.

Paper wallet someone else suggested might be a good idea. A lot of good coins with working wallets. I bought a small amount of monocle at an exchange and will look at the wallet options.

If you downloaded the release directly from the developer's github account, then what you're saying is that you think the vertcoin developers are intentionally passing you a virus. Why would you buy a coin that you think the devs are trying to give you a virus with? 

Virtualbox is free software that's quite easy to use. If you can use a wallet, you can load a vm. You don't even need to load a linux vm, you could just as easily run it in a windows vm.

If you only bought a few coins (which are probably worth less than a dollar or ten), it's probably not a big deal to just hold them on the exchange, also. That would be the easiest course of action, certainly, and it's not like it's a huge risk you're taking.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:29:39 AM

I'm not going to push this issue but two questions then I drop it.

1) Why does this wallet alert on Norton antivirus but no other wallets do?

2) Why would a person with limited knowledge of coins use a coin whose wallet is tainted according to one of the biggest antivirus companies in the world.

I imagine the response will be 'then move to another coin with a clean wallet', and so I will.

1) That's a good point. And while there are lots of other wallets and miners that trigger virus alerts (it's almost always the miner, because wallets come with built in miner), you're correct that it doesn't happen for legitimate major coins (even for vertcoin, monocle's "parent"). I guess the reason is maybe just because Monocle is a test coin, for experimenting with new features for vert, so maybe the developers just weren't worried about making it user friendly. I'm really not sure, tbh.

2) Because all antivirii programs are equally bullshit/garbage? I dunno. From what I understand, Windows Defender (free and built in to win7 and 8 ) is the best or at least equally as good as norton or whatever they call mcaffee now.
S_tring

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:55:42 AM

What type of alert is Norton showing? If you read the alert details you'll probably find it's flagging the wallet because there are no known details as there are not enough users of Norton who have the wallet software installed.

Norton isn't telling you the wallet software is a known virus,  it's telling you that it doesn't know what the software is so it wants you to err on the side of caution. That's why people call it a false positive. In reality, it isn't a false positive it's just Norton shrugging its shoulders.

cubevtc

Activity: 496
Merit: 250

Ceck me in livestream twith

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 08:36:56 AM

I am using the latest version of Norton and Monocle wallet. There is no trip for all the versions of Monocle wallets that I have.  Are you downloading from the right site?

cubevtc

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 08:43:23 AM

Would someone make Monocle rich list?

it is important to know how coins are distributed  Wink

I would like to know that too.  There are more Monocle accumulation activities at Polo even though the buyers try to keep it low profile (smart fellows!). Still, it is getting bigger in quantities.  I suppose this is because we are getting nearer to Lyra2 official completion dates.  The devs have just announced good progress with Lyra2 development.  

S_tring

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 05:02:14 AM

How many times do you have to be told the same thing? Did you even bother to Google the supposed trojan for details?

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2014-052320-0051-99

"Designed to detect entirely new threats..."

Look how many times your Norton report says "unknown".

Norton doesn't know what Monocle is,  so it assumes virus. Your question has been answered, you need to accept the answer, make a decision and move on.

Kartoffelknilch

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 07:48:34 AM

Like MOST people I know very little about vm or linux. Altcoins started with techies but a lot of us late arrivers are not interested in mechanics...

errrr right...

i would say: like MOST people, you dont even understand windows enough to install a virtualbox or any other vm. Linux these days are one-click installations mostly like windows.

What i don't get is that people show resistance on learning new things. They only learn enough to move a mouse over a screen and thats it.
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 01:25:40 AM

giving away free monocle to random person from twitter: https://twitter.com/kingscrownBTC/status/503352298958258177

sammy007
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:23:07 AM

Very sad to read this thread, MON for months didn't even reach another exchange. I'll consider my MONs as souvenir.
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 04:43:34 AM

Very sad to read this thread, MON for months didn't even reach another exchange. I'll consider my MONs as souvenir.
yep its dead, sent my MONs to twitte winner. move along

cubevtc

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 04:54:42 AM

Try download the single-file QT wallet instead

https://github.com/erkmos/monocle/releases/download/v0.8.7.1b/monocle-qt.exe

I think the other installation file (https://github.com/erkmos/monocle/releases/download/v0.8.7.1b/monocle-0.8.7.1-win32-setup.exe) comes in multiple parts which Norton does not know how to handle. The risk reported is just that 'few people are running and using these files'.  It is as good as saying 'I do not know who are using this file and therefore I classify it as dangerous'. Kind of dumb if you ask me.  Try the QT single file and see if it helps.  If not, you can turn off Norton's low risk classification for unknown files.

I am using the latest version of Norton and Monocle wallet. There is no trip for all the versions of Monocle wallets that I have.  Are you downloading from the right site?

Just for the heck of it I tried again.

1) Went to monocle website mon.vert.whatever.

2) Click on downloads.

3)Click on windows and get sent to github I think. Then click on monocle.exe

First I did not select a save location so after about 5 seconds Norton told me the .part file was hot

Filename: q1jx+_8c.exe.part
Threat name: Trojan.ADH.SMH
Full Path: c:...ppdata\local\temp\q1jx+_8c.exe.part

Details
Unknown Community Usage,  Unknown Age,  Risk High
Origin
Downloaded from
 Unknown
Activity
Actions performed: Actions performed: 1
8/22/2014 at 3:45:35 PM
Startup Item
No
Launched
No

Unknown
It is unknown how many users in the Norton Community have used this file.
Unknown
This file release is currently not known.

High
This file risk is high.

Threat type: Virus. Programs that infect other programs, files, or areas of a computer by inserting themselves or attaching themselves to that medium.

File Actions
File: c:\users\qw\appdata\local\temp\ q1jx+_8c.exe.part Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
2ab6bdd898eb0b474c38e5ff632108d18c368533f7c7e1d3d1fcf8b75d237cd3
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available
-----------------------------------------------------

*****Then I set a save location and downloaded the whole wallet file*****

Filename: monocle-0.8.7.1-win32-setup.exe
Threat name: Trojan.ADH.SMH
Full Path: c:\...\desktop\monocle-0.8.7.1-win32-setup.exe

Downloaded from
 Unknown
Activity
Actions performed: Actions performed: 1
8/22/2014 at 3:46:57 PM
Startup Item
No
Launched
No

Unknown
It is unknown how many users in the Norton Community have used this file.
Unknown
This file release is currently not known.

High
This file risk is high.

Threat type: Virus. Programs that infect other programs, files, or areas of a computer by inserting themselves or attaching themselves to that medium.

Source: External Media

File Actions

File: c:\...\desktop\ monocle-0.8.7.1-win32-setup.exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
2ab6bdd898eb0b474c38e5ff632108d18c368533f7c7e1d3d1fcf8b75d237cd3
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

-------------------------------------------------

Trojan.ADH.SMH | Symantec

Trojan.ADH.SMH | Symantec

Remove Trojan.ADH.SMH - Symantec Security Response provides comprehensive internet protection expertise to guard against complex threats, information about latest new computer viruses and spyware.

View on www.symantec.com

Now at this point the red box is very intimidating, saying things like high threat level and so on. But if you click through to the symantec page it basically says very low threat level.

cubevtc

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 04:57:18 AM

I would say dormant rather than dead. It should spring back to live when the devs start the Monocle test-net phase for Lyra2 sometime in November. We shall see.

sammy007
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:06:19 AM

I would say dormant rather than dead. It should spring back to live when the devs start the Monocle test-net phase for Lyra2 sometime in November. We shall see.

And what we'll see? Small pump during Lyra hype? Do you remember shitty VTC pump when stealth addresses was released? Without even tiny buy support. Bitcoin clones failed. Period.
Brilliance

Activity: 32

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:25:55 AM

Well, I'm not going anywhere... I still believe in the VTC / MON community.  Smiley I'm not sure that many understand (other than us) how fast the block rewards are going down for this coin though and that it's going to be very rare in the future. It's not a BTC clone in regards to distribution at all.

I just wish the VTC community would see the potential in this coin. It's just a matter of perception and that's why it would be great if the devs could highlight MON as something else than a testcoin for new VTC features. It's much more than that, it's "Vertcoin Limited"... at least in my eyes.  Smiley
cubevtc

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 10:08:02 AM

Well, I'm not going anywhere... I still believe in the VTC / MON community.  Smiley I'm not sure that many understand (other than us) how fast the block rewards are going down for this coin though and that it's going to be very rare in the future. It's not a BTC clone in regards to distribution at all.

I just wish the VTC community would see the potential in this coin. It's just a matter of perception and that's why it would be great if the devs could highlight MON as something else than a testcoin for new VTC features. It's much more than that, it's "Vertcoin Limited"... at least in my eyes.  Smiley

Yes, there is a great number of supporters of Vertcoin.  This is one of the strength of Vertcoin unlike many altcoins.  MON has its place in the Vertcoin community.  Unlike the big brother VTC, MON is deflationary.  It will grow in scarcity as time goes.

Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 »
  Print  

Jump to: