Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:48:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TheFascistMind

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:02:56 PM

You will know soon. What I've thought out is very preliminary so please don't jump to conclusions.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:34:40 PM

You will know soon. What I've thought out is very preliminary so please don't jump to conclusions.

Alright. Smiley

*patiently waits eating popcorn* Tongue
TheFascistMind

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 04:08:17 PM

I no longer want to short Monero. You can rest easier. What I found can be fixed (if it isn't already). I believe I found BCX's exploit, although it is possible I found one that is different than his. And I believe he is incorrect about it not being fixable. At first thought, I too also thought it was a "coin killer".

Note I haven't worked through one part of the math so it is still possible that I am incorrect about this being an exploit, but I think I got the key epiphany of the exploit which makes it is possible.

It is also possible that this was already thought of and mitigated. I haven't checked the source code to verify. This is all conceptual at this point.
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 04:08:46 PM

Anyone think litecoin will recover like dogecoin has these last weeks?
Quanttek

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 04:27:49 PM

Sorry, but this makes no sense. 5% of today's hashrate could 51% attack the coin.

Seriously, all these discussions lately about changing fundamental stuff just because people are not happy with the price are tiring.
Changing the fundamentals of a coin because you want an immediate increase in price is wrong. Given the stability of XMR despite the fact that it is everything but user friendly for the average Joe, and all the attacks, I'd say the fundamentals in terms of emissions are about perfect.

AMEN

You know what would be an interesting experiment. Actually trying it. Because my theory is that a change like this would make the price go down, exactly the opposite of what people usually proposing such changes intend.

No, I'm not seriously suggesting this for XMR, but I would love to see the experiment happen.

No you don't want to try it, I have seen this experiment happen before, it was after Dogecoin decided not to fix the emission limit, I remember some whales talked to the devs to reconsider at no avail, the result you see today, a dying coin with no hopes, with a community getting its fix of small good news and micro pumps once in a while. A coin need whale and investors.

I personally think inflation is an extremely important thing, that's not yet taken seriously. A defaltionary currency encourages holding (fixed supply, naturally increasing demand=rising price) and not spending, thus the holders hold on to it, until they spent it, which drives the cycle down and the currency will loose more and more rapidly value until it starts again to rise and the cycle of death continues, which no economy can sustain. Just look over at Japan and you can clearly see how much it has failed. While inflation may discourage holders and investors in the early days and drive down the price short teram, it is extremely important "to redistribute the wealth from the holders to the spenders" (Anonymint somewhere in this thread) to allow an exononmy to work properly. The only reason this is working out currently with Bitcoin is that it will take years until it is deflationary and so far it's inflation has worked out to great effect(?)

Enthusiast. Neither trader, nor miner and also no big investor.
Community Manager for Monero
PM if you need mine to exchange or anti-cheat algorithm for node-cryptonote-pool
Quanttek

Activity: 93

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 04:30:04 PM

I no longer want to short Monero. You can rest easier. What I found can be fixed (if it isn't already). I believe I found BCX's exploit, although it is possible I found one that is different than his. And I believe he is incorrect about it not being fixable. At first thought, I too also thought it was a "coin killer".

Note I haven't worked through one part of the math so it is still possible that I am incorrect about this being an exploit, but I think I got the key epiphany of the exploit which makes it is possible.

It is also possible that this was already thought of and mitigated. I haven't checked the source code to verify. This is all conceptual at this point.

Already messaged smooth, tacotime or fluffypony about this? I think it would be easier to work the exploit with the help of them or their mathematicians out

Enthusiast. Neither trader, nor miner and also no big investor.
Community Manager for Monero
PM if you need mine to exchange or anti-cheat algorithm for node-cryptonote-pool
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 04:59:16 PM

Anyone think litecoin will recover like dogecoin has these last weeks?

What news is in the pipeline for LTC?

From what I understand doge has a big mining decrease coming up as well as them releasing 'Dogeparty' which is a fork of Counterparty as far as I know.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 05:02:12 PM

Sorry, but this makes no sense. 5% of today's hashrate could 51% attack the coin.

Seriously, all these discussions lately about changing fundamental stuff just because people are not happy with the price are tiring.
Changing the fundamentals of a coin because you want an immediate increase in price is wrong. Given the stability of XMR despite the fact that it is everything but user friendly for the average Joe, and all the attacks, I'd say the fundamentals in terms of emissions are about perfect.

AMEN

You know what would be an interesting experiment. Actually trying it. Because my theory is that a change like this would make the price go down, exactly the opposite of what people usually proposing such changes intend.

No, I'm not seriously suggesting this for XMR, but I would love to see the experiment happen.

No you don't want to try it, I have seen this experiment happen before, it was after Dogecoin decided not to fix the emission limit, I remember some whales talked to the devs to reconsider at no avail, the result you see today, a dying coin with no hopes, with a community getting its fix of small good news and micro pumps once in a while. A coin need whale and investors.

I personally think inflation is an extremely important thing, that's not yet taken seriously. A defaltionary currency encourages holding (fixed supply, naturally increasing demand=rising price) and not spending, thus the holders hold on to it, until they spent it, which drives the cycle down and the currency will loose more and more rapidly value until it starts again to rise and the cycle of death continues, which no economy can sustain. Just look over at Japan and you can clearly see how much it has failed. While inflation may discourage holders and investors in the early days and drive down the price short teram, it is extremely important "to redistribute the wealth from the holders to the spenders" (Anonymint somewhere in this thread) to allow an exononmy to work properly. The only reason this is working out currently with Bitcoin is that it will take years until it is deflationary and so far it's inflation has worked out to great effect(?)

Perhaps some of what you say may be true in certain cases, but with regards to Bitcoin I think it's fairly clear that the current rate of 10% yearly inflation is doing a fair amount of harm. There doesn't appear to be sufficient demand yet to sustain some of the higher prices that have been touched on by Bitcoin in the last year.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 05:15:56 PM

AMEN

Perhaps some of what you say may be true in certain cases, but with regards to Bitcoin I think it's fairly clear that the current rate of 10% yearly inflation is doing a fair amount of harm. There doesn't appear to be sufficient demand yet to sustain some of the higher prices that have been touched on by Bitcoin in the last year.

If Bitcoin was fully mined, such as Quark, there would be nobody even remotely interested in buying it, and the price would be down even more, with no sign or prospect of recovery.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
uufgh

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 05:32:22 PM

Some people are just looking for excuses to start a fight. Either they are naturally childish and belligerent or they deliberately try to divide and spread FUD.

Now wonder who have interest to weaken both XMR and BBR communities by playing them off against each other...
TheFascistMind

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 05:59:53 PM

Already messaged smooth, tacotime or fluffypony about this? I think it would be easier to work the exploit with the help of them or their mathematicians out

I prefer a quick payout and they can handle it from there.

I have other things to do and would like this done in the next hour or so.

Or I can signout and check back next chance I come up for air from my other more important work.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:02:23 PM

I prefer a quick payout and they can handle it from there.

I have other things to do and would like this done in the next hour or so.

Or I can signout and check back next chance I come up for air from my other more important work.

You will hear imminently
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 07:06:02 PM

VIA tally = 17 Pietila Points

Monero tally = 18   Cool

VIA loses points for being small, but a tiny cap doubles more easily...
this poll is carefully crafted FALLACY designed to make Monero look good.

*** Posted by a hardcore Monero Stooge who is spamming the VIA thread ***.
Keep this toxic garbage AWAY  FROM  VIA...
All Monero references should be deleted from the VIA thread.

VIA is a great coin with a fabulous network and Gen 2.0 services rolling out...
Monero is a one trick anon pony... with no wallet, no security and every botnet gunning for it.

Peter Todd had tweeted that the base Monero code is "atrocious"...
Meaning it's a maintenance/security nightmare...
And would have been scrapped and .
re-written by professionals

You sound mad bro.  Is it because VIA is crashing while XMR holds steady?  Keep calm and nom cheap coins.

There are two wallets for Monero.  You must be new here if you didn't know that already.  Try reading the OP sometime.

The Monero pony's "one trick" of 100% real anon is a game-changer.  That's why it's market cap is so many times higher than VIA.

The Monero devs agree with PT, and his statement was the result of being hired by them to evaluate the CN/XMR code.

The CN code is being gradually scrapped and re-written by professionals.  Have patience grasshopper.

The Pietila Point Scale is objective, and I agree with all of its criteria for evaluation except for the ones which discriminate against small coins.  But I'm not a whale of RP's stature and understand why he uses them.

VIA is just a clone of Counterparty, ported to a friendly blockchain instead of the hostile BTC one.  Some say that approach is rife with conflicts of interest.  And the fake burn for XCH was shady.  Keep attacking Monero, and I'll write more about VIA's problems.  Is that what you want?   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
umair9829

Activity: 72

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:59:52 AM

VIA tally = 17 Pietila Points

Monero tally = 18   Cool

VIA loses points for being small, but a tiny cap doubles more easily...
this poll is carefully crafted FALLACY designed to make Monero look good.

*** Posted by a hardcore Monero Stooge who is spamming the VIA thread ***.
Keep this toxic garbage AWAY  FROM  VIA...
All Monero references should be deleted from the VIA thread.

VIA is a great coin with a fabulous network and Gen 2.0 services rolling out...
Monero is a one trick anon pony... with no wallet, no security and every botnet gunning for it.

Peter Todd had tweeted that the base Monero code is "atrocious"...
Meaning it's a maintenance/security nightmare...
And would have been scrapped and .
re-written by professionals

You sound mad bro.  Is it because VIA is crashing while XMR holds steady?  Keep calm and nom cheap coins.

There are two wallets for Monero.  You must be new here if you didn't know that already.  Try reading the OP sometime.

The Monero pony's "one trick" of 100% real anon is a game-changer.  That's why it's market cap is so many times higher than VIA.

The Monero devs agree with PT, and his statement was the result of being hired by them to evaluate the CN/XMR code.

The CN code is being gradually scrapped and re-written by professionals.  Have patience grasshopper.

The Pietila Point Scale is objective, and I agree with all of its criteria for evaluation except for the ones which discriminate against small coins.  But I'm not a whale of RP's stature and understand why he uses them.

VIA is just a clone of Counterparty, ported to a friendly blockchain instead of the hostile BTC one.  Some say that approach is rife with conflicts of interest.  And the fake burn for XCH was shady.  Keep attacking Monero, and I'll write more about VIA's problems.  Is that what you want?   Wink

Thank you iCEBREAKER, I found lots of useful info in your post. I was wondering what the deal with VIA is.

I really like Counterparty but just like you said, the whole burn thing was shady. That and the fact that it is "hostile" to the blockchain keeps me out.
paulsonnumismatics

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Honni Soit Qui Mal i Pense

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:41:28 PM

If Bitcoin was fully mined, such as Quark, there would be nobody even remotely interested in buying it, and the price would be down even more, with no sign or prospect of recovery.

I must assume from that sentence that you plan to sell your Bitcoins in a near future, lets say when 18-19 millions are mined? And/or the plan is that by time BTC is 10-20 times worth more? what will prevent that price to plummet then? adoption? thanks.

This space is for lease, apparently.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:59:03 PM

I must assume from that sentence that you plan to sell your Bitcoins in a near future, lets say when 18-19 millions are mined? And/or the plan is that by time BTC is 10-20 times worth more? what will prevent that price to plummet then? adoption? thanks.

The wide adoption should really be achieved by then, which would give a reason to hold it or buy it (for use). Otherwise it likely won't ever be.

puck2

Activity: 234
Merit: 105

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 01:52:01 AM

Monero is a one trick anon pony... with... every botnet gunning for it.

You mean CPUs all over the world ensuring its security and strength?
infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 03:28:52 AM

The wide adoption should really be achieved by then, which would give a reason to hold it or buy it (for use). Otherwise it likely won't ever be.

When someone buys, someone else sells. Which translates what you just said to "give a reason to hold it or buy it or sell it".

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 04:04:20 AM

AMEN

If bitcoin goes down in price more days than it goes up, but when it goes up it goes up more... then most days people ought to want to spend it, and only not spend it during those times the price is rapidly soaring? 

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:32:07 PM

My short take on this, is that the following must be considered:

- Perpetual network security (inflation must always be high enough to secure the network - typically only a problem in the late stage that most coins have not addressed)

- Perception of premine (BCN was rejected outright because the coin was 82% mined when it hit the public; IMO the same will happen with whatever coin and fully regardless if it has been "fair" all the time, the mere fact that it is used by a smallish number of people when it hits the latter part of its issuance is enough to convey this perception, even BTC is problematic in this sense already)

=> Therefore the optimal coin issuance should be either connected to the growth of its economy (which is problematic to do trustlessly, and has not been tried in any coin except perhaps emunie that I don't know about) or tailored to hit its mature phase only when the userbase of the coin is established.

I urge you to read it again because most of the pundits believe that exactly the opposite is good for the coin.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Pages: « 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: