Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 01:24:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387448 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:32:43 AM

so I would be cautious unless you really understand how it really works.

Good advice for any coin, regardless of the reputation of the dev.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dga

Activity: 737
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 11:50:34 AM

I am not so sure. If XMR/XBT decides to spike during a XBT/USD bull market that way that LTC, NMC and even PPC spiked in the past this kind of thing can blow up real fast, not just for the short seller / borrower but also for the lender. I would be more the buyer of the shorted XMR who then takes delivery and waits for the whole short position to blow up.

Edit: Something about this reminds me of early 2012 when I was buying and taking delivery of XBT, while pirateat40 was busy building his massive XBT short position.

What do you think is problematic in the following scheme:

- OTC market where people can list bids and asks for altcoin loans (maturity; sum; interest)
- When match is made, the escrow takes full guarantee (typically 150% of the loan in BTC)
- The altcoin is transferred from the lender's wallet to the borrower (that typically sells it)
- Margin call when margin is less than 30%, forced liquidation at 15% (by the escrow)
- At maturity, the borrower must have bought back the altcoin, return it with interest, and gets the escrowed BTC back.

The biggest problem is that nobody's making it available now. :-)

Love it.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:09:25 PM

Man, that was a pretty big buy for XMR that just took us over .004 (temporarily).
I've watched this before and this is getting more and more common - Buy orders for 50BTC or so.
I've been certain of this for a while now, BIG money (relative to the crypto space anyway) is continually moving into Monero.

There doesn't seem to be any large walls right below for support though. I wonder why the buyer didn't try that first to get filled, instead
of spiking the price up?

Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:16:39 PM

Man, that was a pretty big buy for XMR that just took us over .004 (temporarily).
I've watched this before and this is getting more and more common - Buy orders for 50BTC or so.
I've been certain of this for a while now, BIG money (relative to the crypto space anyway) is continually moving into Monero.

There doesn't seem to be any large walls right below for support though. I wonder why the buyer didn't try that first to get filled, instead
of spiking the price up?

Its about sharing

If they put up a large buy order (wall) others would just bid above it, making the price rise and leaving no XMR in their pocket. If someone is genuinely trying to accumulate, not manipulate the price, it seems risky to place a huge order like that. Hence the big market order.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:20:37 PM

of spiking the price up?

Its about sharing

If they put up a large buy order (wall) others would just bid above it, making the price rise and leaving no XMR in their pocket. If someone is genuinely trying to accumulate, not manipulate the price, it seems risky to place a huge order like that. Hence the big market order.

In an uptrend, market order is the only way to secure the goods.

(In a downtrend, it often makes sense to either put walls to induce others to dump on them, or nibble at the highest bid.)

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:21:01 PM

I was beginning to wonder if my post was somehow invisible Smiley
The silence was unexpected after my post, I am glad somebody at least read it

I read it, but realized I needed to research and fully understand your teleports before making a comment, it's very interesting work you're are doing.

Smiley
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:23:05 PM

of spiking the price up?

Its about sharing

That crossed my mind and that is why I mentioned in the economics thread about putting the buy order a big below the current price.
But your comment is appreciated. Just trying to figure things out here. I don't see Monero as undergoing manipulation from what I can
tell, but being that I have a decent % of my holdings in it, it is a good idea to understand the trades - for the reason you clearly state - looks
like accumulation for a while now.

Thx for the replies guys
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 01:50:09 PM

Black Monday in stocks, October 19, 1987,  comes to mind here. A sharp fall or rise triggered by a cascade of margin calls. More recently this type of spike has been seen with XBT on BTC-E for the same reason. Some risk to the lender still remains. This risk can be mitigated, but not eliminated entirely.

Reg NMS and the NBBO system create global risk by centralizing pricing, and flash crashes are a result.  In BTC's uncoordinated markets, a margin cascade on one exchange doesn't crash the whole system.  If the exchanges were more tightly arbed, the extremes would be lessened.  BTC-E will always find a way to run the stops on MT4 levered traders, however.  If nothing else, they can wait until participation and liquidity are at low ebb.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 02:11:36 PM

This thread is full of XMR holders and developers. Tongue  BTCD has gone from zero to ~70% of XMR's market cap extremely quickly. To be honest, I'm not sure what you were expecting in the altcoin XMR observer thread. Tongue

I don't currently hold XMR or BTCD fwiw. And I've passed on your proposal to an appropriate person to consider your offer.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 02:20:17 PM

BTCD has gone from zero to ~70% of XMR's market cap extremely quickly.

Market cap between PoW coins and fully-mined (or non-mined) PoS coins is not comparable.

XMR is roughly 16% mined and the market consensus price indicates that buyers are expected to be found at the same price for the rest of the coins, resulting in an eventual market cap roughly 6x higher.

This does not apply to PoS coins because the value of future stake payments is already incorporated into current market consensus price. When you buy one PoS coin you are buying not only that coin but also the future coins you can get by staking. When you buy one PoW coin, all you get is one coin.
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 02:54:33 PM

I stopped reading the "Whitepaper" after the word PIRATE occured, make it more technical and serious if u want serious feedback.

And i also consider all PoW -> PoS coins which are mined after 1 week or so and then PoS only as attempts to concentrate the biggest share of coins into the hands of the developers. Especially when coins are launched without features that get magically added after the PoW phase is over.

Thats my humble opinion, and i wonder why you don´t develop it for Bitcoin directly.

However, i have a technical question for you.
In peercoin sunny king uses the PoW blocks to make stake modifiers. He does this to secure certain code in the the staking kernel: https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/blob/master/src/kernel.cpp#L337

The PPC PoS/PoW system if PoW isn´t active and has a reasonable high hashrate (which peercoin does) is vulnerable to the stake burn-through vulnerability: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131901.0

Care to explain the technical design decision in bitcoin dark?

PS: Post may sound harsh but is in no way meant personal.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 03:38:20 PM

jl777's darkpaper may be concealing a wonderful innovation in privacy.  I haven't read it well enough to discard it out of hand.  But it if it is in there, it is well hidden.  I am not the dimmest bulb in the pack, but my cursory reading didn't identify anything useful.  It's always possible that garden-path phenomena cause me to mis-classify innovations which don't conform to conventional models, but usually the lack of a rigorous framework spells disaster for crypto.  There's a lot of crack-pot and snake-oil crypto which has floated out to sea, and differentiating yourself from it to the expert community requires communicating to them in a language they understand, and can reason about clearly.

...even I can spot a big development in the crypto space when I see one. Teleporting coins using the BTCD network and making them 'dark' is a MAJOR breakthrough. I'm really hoping ... brainiacs try and pull apart jl777's teleporting concept... a lot of things will change in the crypto world, and fast. All coins can truly be anonymous ... that's BIG news!

I'm very keen to digest the peer review on teleporting!

"kennyP" looks like a sock puppet.  Stylometrics read "jl777".  James, you may believe strongly in your ideas, but if you are resorting to deceptions to promote them, you're undermining yourself.  This is a suspicion, not an accusation.  It is a suspicion based primarily on typical forum activity, not on your specific character or behaviour.

The Altcoin Observer thread is considerably above most altcoin threads, in its median talent, but very few of the participants are skilled in information theory or cryptography.  Skills are not cheap to command.  If you want someone to donate their valuable time to you, try to condense the case that your material has substance to it into a compact form.  You might do better to approach community members who have demonstrated specifically technical skills and a willingness and ability to contribute critical analysis of crypto protocols to anonymity projects.

99% of all altcoin development is scamming.  It takes strong evidence to overcome those priors.  The characteristics of BTCD are typical of scams.  You can expect that it will be difficult to overcome this situation.  Paying more attention to scams just feeds the scammers, so until you differentiate yourself from scams, expect to be deprived of attention.

...with all the things I put into the Teleport system, just teleporting BTC should be quite private.

Putting in lots of things is not generally a sound approach in cryptography.  The attack surface becomes quite large.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 04:31:56 PM

STRONG (like a bull!) recovery continues!

Index 1: 85.09 (LTC recovery brings this back closer to Index 2)
Index 2: 86.81
Index 3: 81.78 (this one is the one that I think represents the total market the best)
Index 4: 82.39
Index 5: 88.21
Index 6: 86.62 (these last two are most volatile, it seems, because they are price-weighted)
meta: 85.15

Indexes have basically recovered halfway from their downturns.  Your portfolio may have seen a 33% increase over the last few days and possibly 12-13% in the last 36 hours.  If this is NOT the case, you might have chosen the wrong alts.

As of 20 minutes ago...

Index 1: 87.13
Index 2: 97.53 (remember, this index includes neither BTC or LTC, but might skew high)
Index 3: 92.93 (also includes neither BTC or LTC and I would claim this is the most pure-play, cap-weight alt index...contains a basket of 31 alts that are tops in combined volume/market cap.  If I re-balanced every WEEK, I think the number would be closer to Index 2)
Index 4: 84.24 (includes LTC, which is still down from the start of this index in early August.)
Index 5: 89.81
Index 6: 85.73 (indexes 5 and 6 are price-weighted, and the relative underperformance of BTC over the time period is actually baked into the weighted prices.  Honestly, I'm considering using BTC-denominated price starting with the next re-balance)
meta: 89.56

In the last four days, the biggest movements have come from Index 2 and Index 3.  Everything else is up around 5% or less since last update, but these indexes representing purest-play alts are up 10% or more in 4 days.

Since the beginning of the indexes on 8/4, BTC has gone from $590 and change to a shade over $500.  It looks as though alts plunged farther faster, but have been outperforming BTC in their recent recovery.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:09:17 PM

BitsharesX is going nuts by the way, almost over 100 mil marketcap at the moment.. http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitshares-x/

Strange thing is that they are only traded at chinese exchanges (Poloniex was added few days ago I think).

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:11:05 PM

BitsharesX is going nuts by the way, almost over 100 mil marketcap at the moment.. http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitshares-x/

Strange thing is that they are only traded at chinese exchanges (Poloniex was added few days ago I think).

On its way to becoming possibly the biggest disaster in crypto history.

Keep clear of the damage when the time comes.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:14:21 PM

Can you explain the reasons why you think so?

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:16:53 PM

Key reason for coming disaster?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:17:58 PM

Can you explain the reasons why you think so?

Because i believe their pegged assets feature is extremely unsound, and will very likely lead to a massive implosion. The bigger the capitalization involved the worse the damage will be, and it seems to be getting quite large.

EDIT: That plus the legal risk already mentioned, although either could make the other more likely. Again, a very dangerous situation.

Trishula

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:24:18 PM

alt coins are annoying but a lot of money can be made
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 05:27:15 PM

This thread is full of XMR holders and developers. Tongue  BTCD has gone from zero to ~70% of XMR's market cap extremely quickly. To be honest, I'm not sure what you were expecting in the altcoin XMR observer thread. Tongue

I don't currently hold XMR or BTCD fwiw. And I've passed on your proposal to an appropriate person to consider your offer.
thanks!
I didnt realize the title of this thread should be "XMR Observer"
Even if it was teleport will work in conjunction with ringsignatures, so hopefully people wont be dismissing me due to it not being XMR

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
Pages: « 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: