Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:03:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387448 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 01:41:01 AM

Perhaps it is good to interpret my own post because it wasn't obvious:

As with metals, the #1 is really valuable, but the #2 is only about 1/50 as valuable. Others are not even counted.

So will it be with coins, therefore do not buy coins that aim to be #3.

this is so true and what doomed Litecoin, I still think it has its merits but being silver of anything means being a lot less valuable besides being pegged to. XMR chances of surpassing BTC are bigger than of LTC, even though it still small.

No what doomed LTC is that it doesn't make a good silver. LTC aimed to be #2 which is fine according to rpietila's model, and so far it has done that, but it will likely fail to hold that spot in the future, and then at 3+ it is all over.

Think now if you did want to make it to the top 2 take a leaf out of the number 2s book. hint; it didn't get to number 2 by trying to take out or attack that that was above it.

LTC's not doomed at all, it was created taking into account why previous alts failed and in that its done a brilliant job. LTC's not going to fail at all because it has good infrastructure thats growing (as cryptos go), has some advantages over bitcoin when it comes to mass adoption (no anon dev etc).

Behind the scenes BTC has many hurdles to its upcoming ETF, knowing what they are (as its a project I'm on) I see litecoin would have an easier ride, thats not gone unnoticed Wink

As for the there can only be 2, there was a plan (via a company I part own) to list a package of alts as an ETF to follow straight after BTC ETF, to this point its been put on hold, and this forum has alot to do with that (hence my frustration with the continual scam coins around here).

In summary btc/ltc not doomed because too much infrastructure been built around them and  its where the big money is and is heading, upto 20 other alts could get into that action as well if it weren't for the scams in here and the kill or be killed attitude of many behind alts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 01:51:37 AM

In summary btc/ltc not doomed because too much infrastructure been built around them and  its where the big money is and is heading, upto 20 other alts could get into that action as well if it weren't for the scams in here and the kill or be killed attitude of many behind alts.

Is the infrastructure not portable?

I agree with you comment about scams and kill or be killed, it's those very reasons that leads us towards autonomy, running parallel to the set of alt-coins.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
Fern

Activity: 247

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:27:05 AM

Not sure exactly whats going on with boolberry but I am happily liquidating my small hedge there today,

BBR in talks with BTCD
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 05:13:28 AM

Not sure exactly whats going on with boolberry but I am happily liquidating my small hedge there today,

BBR in talks with BTCD

Is Project DarkBerry confirmed?  All I've seen is BTCD guy pumping.

He is right to do so, because BBR offers leverage to XMR and has been severely undervalued for over a month.

As we are currently observing, when XMR has a good day BBR often has a great day.  And when it rains on XMR, it pours on BBR.   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Fern

Activity: 247

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:45:31 AM

BBR in talks with BTCD

Is Project DarkBerry confirmed?  All I've seen is BTCD guy pumping.

He is right to do so, because BBR offers leverage to XMR and has been severely undervalued for over a month.

As we are currently observing, when XMR has a good day BBR often has a great day.  And when it rains on XMR, it pours on BBR.   Wink

Not confirmed AFAIK. It will be fascinating to see what happens if it does go ahead, assuming Teleport performs. I imagine it would be huge decision for any anon devs to make.
pandacoin
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:52:54 AM

In Polo's trollbox:
rpietila: I made a 4-minute phonecall. The results should be visible in 2 minutes...

Price is 4.5 mBTC now. Cheesy
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:13:04 AM

Woot!  come on RPietila     Cool
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:24:29 AM

I market bought 2100 XMR for a client. I don't by any way mean it's much, but seriously I can only make one phone call per day, to one of my best investor friends, to avoid the price rising too quickly.

The total wealth reachable by my mailing list is 100s of millions. Last time I bothered them was when I told that "Bitcoin is something that you should buy now, even without research, even with small money, as long as it is now". 2013-2-6.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
georgehosterguy

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 02:04:22 PM

I market bought 2100 XMR for a client. I don't by any way mean it's much, but seriously I can only make one phone call per day, to one of my best investor friends, to avoid the price rising too quickly.

The total wealth reachable by my mailing list is 100s of millions. Last time I bothered them was when I told that "Bitcoin is something that you should buy now, even without research, even with small money, as long as it is now". 2013-2-6.

No offense - but why would you be pumping the coin like this?  You are creating wealth for random dudes on forums if you plan on "eventually calling in the 100s of millions of dollars of big guns" instead of creating wealth for your investment network.  Your speech and actions tell different stories. 

As somebody pretty sold on Monero I just got a lot more concerned ...

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:34:53 PM

No offense - but why would you be pumping the coin like this?  You are creating wealth for random dudes on forums if you plan on "eventually calling in the 100s of millions of dollars of big guns" instead of creating wealth for your investment network.  Your speech and actions tell different stories. 

Probably has something to do with the fact that he seems to actively day trade XMR to increase his total holding. More volume is good for him.

Also, he's beginning a project to offer XMR options so that also ties in with what I was saying above.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:42:14 PM

Monero is so small that it needs to grow. Big money does not come before middle-sized money, and they don't come after small money has already bought in.

It is not good for any coin if one group controls it. So it would be counterproductive for the coin (and me) to pump it among my buddies alone.

The history of altcoins proves this. Organic growth is better.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Majormax
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 03:27:22 PM

No offense - but why would you be pumping the coin like this?  You are creating wealth for random dudes on forums if you plan on "eventually calling in the 100s of millions of dollars of big guns" instead of creating wealth for your investment network.  Your speech and actions tell different stories.  

rpietila reply above makes sense. I understand that there is a lot of mistrust of motives in CryptoSpace. That is mainly down to the vast majority of coins being pump&dump schemes. I found it interesting to note how the new coins/schemes proliferated only after April 2013, and again after Nov (such a big expansion).

I have spent many years of my career with intrigue in financial markets, and my own philosophy (now) is to take most sensible comment at face value, then wait for contrary evidence to emerge. Given time you will either see confirmation or contradiction. Taper/step into investment positions accordingly. I know I have created a lot of wealth for 'random dudes', but it is immaterial to my own wealth or satisfaction.

Most people in my experience are actually well-meaning.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:03:10 PM

The more diverse the investor base the better, the issue with almost every other alt is that the investor base is a small insular group.

Why more diverse? Because (1) it spreads the investor base to all corners of the globe instead of just tech heads, (2) this allows the expanded investor base to call upon more resources to better help the coin as opposed to calling on the same crowd with a narrow set of skills (programming and forum browsing).

Most alt coins investor base consist of graphics driver programmers, teenagers with free electricity and scammers. Rpietila is helping to grow Monero beyond the computer science department.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:09:47 PM

There are many games you can play.  Most alt traders are only familiar with games which are zero-sum, at best, in which there are winners and losers.  In those games, most players will lose.

The long-term investment game should be win-win, with no losers.  There's no problem with making money for random people on the Internet.  In fact, it is a necessary part of a successfully played game.  The surest way to lose is not to play.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
georgehosterguy

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 04:55:14 PM

Monero is so small that it needs to grow. Big money does not come before middle-sized money, and they don't come after small money has already bought in.

It is not good for any coin if one group controls it. So it would be counterproductive for the coin (and me) to pump it among my buddies alone.

So you won't sell it to your big buddies until lots of little fish are in it because you want to prove it has enough network effect to not ruin your reputation by failing?  Meantime you're pumping it to help it get the network effect to little fishes ... or you're pumping it up so you can get out without losing because you've found it's going to be replaced with something else?  Maybe that's in development?

Like I said ... your "I'm going to use my biddies to pump this thing to the moon ... get in now so we can get it up to the point where I can sell it to them" ... just.  Kinda alarms me.

I sorta see the logic.  But it's still kinda blatant shilling at best.

darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:06:31 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2014, 07:50:20 PM by darkota

No offense - but why would you be pumping the coin like this?  You are creating wealth for random dudes on forums if you plan on "eventually calling in the 100s of millions of dollars of big guns" instead of creating wealth for your investment network.  Your speech and actions tell different stories.  

So you won't sell it to your big buddies until lots of little fish are in it because you want to prove it has enough network effect to not ruin your reputation by failing?  Meantime you're pumping it to help it get the network effect to little fishes ... or you're pumping it up so you can get out without losing because you've found it's going to be replaced with something else?  Maybe that's in development?

Like I said ... your "I'm going to use my biddies to pump this thing to the moon ... get in now so we can get it up to the point where I can sell it to them" ... just.  Kinda alarms me.

I sorta see the logic.  But it's still kinda blatant shilling at best.

prove it has enough network effect to not ruin your reputation by failing?, - That doesn't make any sense, there isn't that much liquidity on the markets right now, so obviously anyone in their right mind would want More users to come and join/mine/buy/sell, to provide liquidity, so that when you buy the price wouldn't go up exponentially.

or you're pumping it up so you can get out without losing because you've found it's going to be replaced with something else? - That also makes no sense, rptiella has said many times Over and Over that XMR is the only altcoin he holds besides BTC itself.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 05:23:55 PM

QFT

Risto, you have correctly distilled the reason folks are confused by what appears as a magnanimous public offering of information gained through your expensive research efforts into thinking you are manipulating them with false claims.  It is because you are manipulating us with true claims, and with actual magnanimity.  You are looking at the long game, not the pump and dump short game that people have become accustomed by charlatans.

This shows long term strategic thinking selfishness, rather than get rich quick selfishness.
The long game is also the heroic one.  It is the game that may survive us all.  The work of a magus not a charlatan.

It matters not whether you care most about Bitcoin as asset/currency, Monero for privacy, Counterparty for advanced block chain features or another.  What is most needed for all of these is not money and investment, it is people, action and knowledge.
I would rather have 100 investors with $100 each than 1 with 500 times that amount if my goals are long term and win/win the opposite would be true if I wanted to grab and run.
People are the true wealth of the world.  I write this with the thought of Hal Finney going into the cryonic phase of his journey today, with the hope and confidence that if we can keep this world from a self inflicted doom, that he can return again healthy and warm after ALS is conquered.  Let us get to that future with a renewed energy and sense of purpose.

My Italian friends have a saying: "At the end of the chess game, the king and the pawn go into the same box".  Lesson being, it is what happens on the board that matters.  Well played, Risto.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:44:38 PM

These threads have helped regain a little confidence after getting painfully burned in sharex

Currently trusting in XMR and the guys, including RP

georgehosterguy

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 06:27:45 PM

The long game is also the heroic one.  It is the game that may survive us all.  The work of a magus not a charlatan.

The long game is smart, selfish.  I'm not sure about heroic  Roll Eyes

Although it is the only game where most people lose at the expense of a few.  Maybe I should give him/Monero supporters more credit.  It just irritates me to see "You should invest in this coin because I have buddies with hundreds of millions I will call eventually"

I've seen it before and it didn't end well for the little guys who pumped the coin. 

dga

Activity: 737
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 07:05:46 PM

The long game is also the heroic one.  It is the game that may survive us all.  The work of a magus not a charlatan.

The long game is smart, selfish.  I'm not sure about heroic  Roll Eyes

Although it is the only game where most people lose at the expense of a few.  Maybe I should give him/Monero supporters more credit.  It just irritates me to see "You should invest in this coin because I have buddies with hundreds of millions I will call eventually"

I've seen it before and it didn't end well for the little guys who pumped the coin.  

I disliked the phrasing, but let's assume there are two plausible interpretations:

(a)  Pump!  <-- Obvious possibility.  I've wondered it myself:  Did Risto buy a lot of XMR early (yes), and is he planning on riding a sequence of P&Ds to profit?

(b)  Ensuring continued, steady growth of the currency in a way that maintains community *and developer* excitement and encourages some forms of long-term adoption.

The "win-win" is (b), as Aminorex noted above.  It's a long game:  I own a lot of X, so I'm going to do things that I can to increase its fundamental value.  It's not crazy to think that encouraging sustained, longer-term interest in a currency could do that.  It keeps donations (or value) flowing to the developers, it keeps holders happy because they're getting value, etc.  Happy developers and continued interest yield more improvements to the currency and more potential users.  (a) is the quick profit.  Both of these schemes could be seen as selfish, because they're both designed to produce value for Risto.  "Selfish" is also a reasonable term for "financially rational." Smiley

I couldn't tell you which of those is reality, but it's not crazy to think that it's (b).  These same techniques apply on the stock market -- consider, e.g., Mitt Romney / Bain Capital's tricks with Ampad and Dade Behring on one hand (acquire, rip out fast profit, dump to bankruptcy), and Warren Buffett's style at Berkshire Hathaway (acquire, invest, improve, hold for the long term).  Hard to tell which it really is until you have hindsight, or trust.

Pages: « 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: