Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:30:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 [227] 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984145 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
iaminitnow06

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:40:55 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/29/6082195/the-fort-knox-of-bitcoin-xapo-wences-casares. Inspiring read!! Cool

NEM(NEW ECONOMY MOVEMENT) - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.0 | http://forum.nemcoin.com/ | http://altnemo.com/
NBOCOW-D45UHF-A7CJUX-HK7PD3-KUEXEP-PMECIZ-BJFP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gimre
Legendary

Activity: 866
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 05:43:42 PM

There's good reason to hold the auction. This will hopefully stop sock holders from artificially pumping valued to do the dump.

There are many others, but I find this one an interesting one

NemusExMāchinā
Catapult docs: https://docs.symbol.dev
github: https://github.com/symbol
crackerhead

Merit: 251

My Head is a Ritz

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 05:53:55 PM

Could we not use some to get the nem source Code peer reviewed by leading academic(s) in the field? If we want to be serious about this.. We need to do things properly and that would be a great step in the right direction. We could then summarise the report and have it published across the media and no one will be able to discredit the work of the devs

Great idea, I also think some of the stakes should go to prominent/famous figures in the crypto space. Bitcoin devs, Sunny King, Ashton Kutcher (I swear that guy is into crypto), Adam Levine, Andreas, etc.

NEM.io         blog.NEM.io        r/ourNEM
amytheplanarshift

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:54:45 PM

Yes indeed, and more confirmation of what we all have been reiterating here for sure. Smiley

Now, the real challenge we face is getting those billions of people to use NEM instead of Bitcoin. And no, not for our own benefit, but because NEM is simply better. If he does not want to see those billions of people who cannot have a bank account lose everything as he so desperately wants to prevent, then I think NEM is going to be the better solution. Bitcoin, as we have been talking about here, is inherently flawed. A 51% attack is ridiculously easy for any entity with enough cash to execute, and that alone is reason enough for me to be wary about putting too much of my finances into BTC as a safe store of value.

NEM, and I'm sure many other next-gen cryptocurrencies, are going to remedy that. We just have to educate people and show them why it's better. Bitcoin has the advantage in that it was the first to market, and the name is becoming known worldwide as we sit here in front of our computer screens at this very moment. NEM does not have that advantage, but that is up to us to change. Smiley

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
amytheplanarshift

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:58:07 PM

Could we not use some to get the nem source Code peer reviewed by leading academic(s) in the field? If we want to be serious about this.. We need to do things properly and that would be a great step in the right direction. We could then summarise the report and have it published across the media and no one will be able to discredit the work of the devs

Great idea, I also think some of the stakes should go to prominent/famous figures in the crypto space. Bitcoin devs, Sunny King, Ashton Kutcher (I swear that guy is into crypto), Joe Rogan, etc.

I think this actually goes against what NEM stands for in that it does not exactly promote fairness for all in the slightest. Giving away stakes to people simply because they are famous is not promoting the ideals of equality that NEM was supposedly built upon. If those people deserve a stake simply because of their name, then what does that mean for the rest of us? Sure, it may turn into a bit of PR buzz, but at the cost of sacrificing the principles upon which NEM was founded. I don't think the PR buzz is worth that much.

We can spread NEM organically simply by making a better technology and cultivating a fair and friendly community. These kinds of PR stunts are what cryptocurrencies that do not innovate have to resort to in order to spread, because they are incapable of spreading any other way. NEM is better than that. Smiley

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
iaminitnow06

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:02:42 PM

Yes indeed, and more confirmation of what we all have been reiterating here for sure. Smiley

Now, the real challenge we face is getting those billions of people to use NEM instead of Bitcoin. And no, not for our own benefit, but because NEM is simply better. If he does not want to see those billions of people who cannot have a bank account lose everything as he so desperately wants to prevent, then I think NEM is going to be the better solution. Bitcoin, as we have been talking about here, is inherently flawed. A 51% attack is ridiculously easy for any entity with enough cash to execute, and that alone is reason enough for me to be wary about putting too much of my finances into BTC as a safe store of value.

NEM, and I'm sure many other next-gen cryptocurrencies, are going to remedy that. We just have to educate people and show them why it's better. Bitcoin has the advantage in that it was the first to market, and the name is becoming known worldwide as we sit here in front of our computer screens at this very moment. NEM does not have that advantage, but that is up to us to change. Smiley
Yes Bitcoin is why all of us are here now but NEM is still in infancy. It'll take a long time for any crypto to dethrone BTC but it'll happen eventually and NEM sure has a great chance in doing that. NEM is Crypto 3.0, wonderful devs, it has 4 Billion coins(easy for ditribution) and a wonderful community. As you say, it only depends on us and we'll make it happen Wink

NEM(NEW ECONOMY MOVEMENT) - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.0 | http://forum.nemcoin.com/ | http://altnemo.com/
solix

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:04:13 PM

This is why a mobile first approach is absolutely essential. This is also part of why I like a brain wallets because some poor sod in Sao Paulo that gets his mobile jacked in the cab (been there done that) will be SOL. If you have a mobile focus, with super super simple usability, and a brain wallet or some sort of mechanism for the mobile only folks that allows them to store there stuff somewhere with private key encryption (part of what that bitcoin article was talking about with regards to security), then I think you are very close. You don't want folks killing other folks for their mobiles to get at their "wallet". Same sort of problem with paper money and wallets today. People in rural areas might not have access to a bitcoin atm, or a bank account, but they might have a prepaid phone (does that have any sort of smart phone capable OS, not sure what that looks like). If I can "bump" my phone to theirs like samsung devices or whatever and flip stuff that way, might replace the goat at wedding time.

Your Ad here! PM us now if you'd like to advertise here.
crackerhead

My Head is a Ritz

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 06:06:02 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 06:42:58 PM by crackerhead

Great idea, I also think some of the stakes should go to prominent/famous figures in the crypto space. Bitcoin devs, Sunny King, Ashton Kutcher (I swear that guy is into crypto), Joe Rogan, etc.

I think this actually goes against what NEM stands for in that it does not exactly promote fairness for all in the slightest. Giving away stakes to people simply because they are famous is not promoting the ideals of equality that NEM was supposedly built upon. If those people deserve a stake simply because of their name, then what does that mean for the rest of us? Sure, it may turn into a bit of PR buzz, but at the cost of sacrificing the principles upon which NEM was founded. I don't think the PR buzz is worth that much.

We can spread NEM organically simply by making a better technology and cultivating a fair and friendly community. These kinds of PR stunts are what cryptocurrencies that do not innovate have to resort to in order to spread, because they are incapable of spreading any other way. NEM is better than that. Smiley

Maybe celebrities shouldn't be involved, but what about people like Andreas Antonopoulos. If it wasn't for people like him promoting crypto, I think Bitcoin and NEM would not be where they are today. I think it's fine to give some of these people free NEM, and I still think it would promote fairness in the NEM ecosystem.

solix

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:07:50 PM

Yes Bitcoin is why all of us are here now but NEM is still in infancy. It'll take a long time for any crypto to dethrone BTC but it'll happen eventually and NEM sure has a great chance in doing that. NEM is Crypto 3.0, wonderful devs, it has 4 Billion coins(easy for ditribution) and a wonderful community. As you say, it only depends on us and we'll make it happen Wink

I'm not sure I agree. A grassroots viral approach for the rest of the non-industrialized world could be incredibly successful. It all comes down to how easy you make things, and how well you promote through grassroots organizations. I have spoke to many people that say they'd get in to this stuff but they don't understand it. You have to put it in a context they understand. For example, if you want to get people that need to wire their kids money over seas in to it, then you make an app or front end that "Feels" that way in context for them but still uses the underlying block chain. If being the resident "pc guy" for my friends family and neighbors has taught me anything, its that low maintenance and ease of use is 99% of it to 90% of people. That is probably why the iPhone was so successful. I hated texting until I had an iphone. It was too alien to me (as ridiculous as that sounds but I know a lot of people that was true for).

iaminitnow06

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:09:09 PM

Maybe celebrities shouldn't be involved, but what about people like Anreas Antonopoulos. If it wasn't for people like him promoting crypto, I think Bitcoin and NEM would not be where they are today. I think it's fine to give some of these people free NEM, and I still think it would promote fairness in the NEM ecosystem.
+1. Especially now that he has left the Bitcoin foundation http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/andreas-antonopoulos-leaves-bitcoin-foundation-complete-lack-transparency/. It is the right time to strike the metal.  Grin

EFFV

Activity: 278

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:16:02 PM

This is why a mobile first approach is absolutely essential. This is also part of why I like a brain wallets because some poor sod in Sao Paulo that gets his mobile jacked in the cab (been there done that) will be SOL. If you have a mobile focus, with super super simple usability, and a brain wallet or some sort of mechanism for the mobile only folks that allows them to store there stuff somewhere with private key encryption (part of what that bitcoin article was talking about with regards to security), then I think you are very close. You don't want folks killing other folks for their mobiles to get at their "wallet". Same sort of problem with paper money and wallets today. People in rural areas might not have access to a bitcoin atm, or a bank account, but they might have a prepaid phone (does that have any sort of smart phone capable OS, not sure what that looks like). If I can "bump" my phone to theirs like samsung devices or whatever and flip stuff that way, might replace the goat at wedding time.

Agree, mobile will play a key roll in the future of NEM.  Encryption could also be another solution toward mobile devices, I know some mobile phones now allow you to scan your fingerprint or face to unlock your phone. The Nem mobile wallet could be designed to enable biometric encryption and decryption of the private keys.  A brain wallet can be forgotten, biometric technology is the future, we are already moving into a wearable tech phase. Google glass The Apple Smart Watch etc

We could also enable our mobile wallets to interact with a grid of ATMs creating a physical interface between merchants and consumers.

-EFFV

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new
solix

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:20:27 PM

Agree, mobile will play a key roll in the future of NEM.  Encryption could also be another solution toward mobile devices, I know some mobile phones now allow you to scan your fingerprint or face to unlock your phone. The Nem mobile wallet could be designed to enable biometric encryption and decryption of the private keys.  A brain wallet can be forgotten, biometric technology is the future, we are already moving into a wearable tech phase. Google glass The Apple Smart Watch etc

We could also enable our mobile wallets to interact with a grid of ATMs creating a physical interface between merchants and consumers.

-EFFV

Cool so some dude grabs my phone, chops off my hand or beheads me for my eyeballs. Smiley. I agree, but the prospect terrifies me. Incidentally, that becomes a form of 2FA imho.

iaminitnow06

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:30:21 PM

-EFFV

Cool so some dude grabs my phone, chops off my hand or beheads me for my eyeballs. Smiley. I agree, but the prospect terrifies me. Incidentally, that becomes a form of 2FA imho.
Yeah I'm against biometric too. Physically anybody can be exploited but mentally or technically not so easily. Bluetooth & NFC should be concentrated for now.
For example Librexcoin has a wallet which stakes like a boss for all three IOS, ANDROID AND WINDOWS. They're going to apply NFC soon. After that they are going to implement offnet transactions through NFC & bluetooth too. Sort of a offline wallet. You could just transfer an amount to another mobile wallet through bluetooth or NFC and when the guy goes online he can just sync the wallet & update his balance. Now this is freaking nice Grin Ofcourse all of this requires a password.

EFFV

Activity: 278

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:33:27 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 06:46:28 PM by EFFV

-EFFV

Haha, I guess if someone wanted your wallet bad enough they would torture you for your brain wallet as well. Tongue

I agree, in a centralized system where people would be in control of your information (like a credit card version of what I described) would be terrifying.  In a decentralized client, however, your biometric information should never leave your device and fall into the hands of a third party. I am all for biometric technology as long as it stays in the hands of the INDIVIDUAL.

I want to be clear, I would not accept biometric identification from Apple, Google, or (the worst of all) the government.

Technology in this way is almost always two sided, people can use it for evil or peace, Identification, (or as in my example) privacy. I think it is always important to think about all the possible outcomes of your technology before entering development. Moral issues included.

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new
vytasz7

Activity: 561

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:00:08 PM

We can use some of these stakes for NEM faucet,like anyone who creates nem wallet gets 100 nem coins .It might help to increase nem population
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:00:14 PM

But NIS will be open source,  why waste the funds?
it's not a waste.. If you owned overstock would you just integrate a new type of crypto if it has not ever had a serious review done by at minimum 1 highly respected academic people in the area? I know I wouldn't even think about it it would be a straight up no. Doesn't matter how good the tech is.. If it hasn't been thoroughly checked over by a said person(s) then its not going anywhere serious long-term
If i were overstock i would find my own people to look it over for two reasons:  1. Better trust 2. To make sure the underlying technology will meet my needs.
good point..

Does anyone know how much it would actually cost to get the code peer reviewed?

I think you do a bounty kind of thing. Have some really really A+ coders (I know a few I'd stake my reputation on here for) do a peer / code review. Have those that do a meaningful review and give the best input / find most bugs get some larger portion of a bounty. You could also do some easy git analysis on code contribution (not lines of code!), but number of tests added and code cover of tests, and or bug fix / fixes for the open source project. I think if you made that plain you'd attract a ton of good devs that at least give you code feedback if not refactoring of code base. Do some sort of fixed schedule / payment table and use a portion of the auction stakes.

Edit: I'd help try to organize that if the community agrees.

Remember, bad launches, hard forks, and other security disasters will put the coin DOA. Security and stability of the coin is huge. It is an under appreciated aspect by all the folks screaming for a live block chain. Remember, this is why we unit test and don't just crank out shite code.

sounds great !
Maybe you and the gang can also push NCC Wink

patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:05:49 PM

***that whole phone discussion***

Just because someone steals my phone where my wallets happens to reside doesn't mean he has access to my funds. NEM wallets are encrypted and therefore he'd either need to brake the encryption or know your password - just like it would be with a brainwallet only with a brainwallet he wouldn't need your phone in the first place Wink

twistelaar
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:36:54 PM

when is the launch?
Microove

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:38:17 PM

Hi everybody,

Is it already possible to obtain my stake?
Do you advise me to use my Secure Asset Exchange ID or my NXT wallet for the stake?
I see you handed out tokens aswell, did that stop or are you still doing this?
crackerhead

My Head is a Ritz

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 07:50:34 PM

Hi everybody,

Is it already possible to obtain my stake?
Do you advise me to use my Secure Asset Exchange ID or my NXT wallet for the stake?
I see you handed out tokens aswell, did that stop or are you still doing this?

Personally I like the SecureAE because it works similiar to counterwallet, pretty easy to use, and nothing to download. It really comes down to personal preference, although I am sure some may say that the Nxt client is more secure.

Pages: « 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 [227] 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: