Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:52:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 169 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmark  (Read 622147 times)
turtoro

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 04:28:35 PM

Does this mean these tasks are likely to be completed by next weekend and we can start testing the reference daemon on the testnet?

Yes, step one entails recreating litecoin from the latest stable bitcoin branch, adjusting as needed, renaming things, and putting in the block chain configuration. It isn't a major amount of work, but will need extensive testing to ensure no bugs have been introduced.

Any testing, feedback, bug reports during the week will be gratefully received.

Care to say who the other members of the project are. You kept referencing "we".
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinsolidation (OP)

Activity: 294

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 04:34:12 PM

Care to say who the other members of the project are. You kept referencing "we".

Future proofing and to be inclusive to you all who are giving feedback.

For now it's just me coding and specifying. But I consider myself more of a lead developer managed and guided by the community, also with contributions from the community. So I'll just flip between saying I and we for a while I guess!

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 12:23:32 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2014, 10:27:54 AM by coinsolidation

I've decided on a name for the project and currency.

Bitmark

1 Bitmark, 3 Bitmarks.
1 Mark will equal 0.001 Bitmark.

Short Code: BTM or MRK undecided, feedback please

"Mark" Historical Usage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_(money)
"Bitmark" Historical Usage: bitly used it to refer to public bookmarks, this seems to have phased out over 2012/2013.

Rationale: Unambiguous throughout the web and history, sense of money, easily used in common language, historical references, term already available for growth in value, reasonable, distinct from ****coin.

Feedback?

mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:42:57 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 04:12:22 AM by mymenace

vote 1 for BTM - Bitmark

concept currency symbol

Grin
Pentamon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 04:47:08 AM

I've decided on a name for the project and currency.

Bitmark

1 Bitmark, 3 Bitmarks.
1 Mark will equal 0.001 Bitmark.

Short Code: BTM or MRK undecided, feedback please

"Mark" Historical Usage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_(money)
"Bitmark" Historical Usage: [Suspicious link removed] used it to refer to public bookmarks, this seems to have phased out over 2012/2013.

Rationale: Unambiguous throughout the web and history, sense of money, easily used in common language, historical references, term already available for growth in value, reasonable, distinct from ****coin.

Feedback?

I would go with the prefix the way Apple did: with the lower case "i"prefix, except apply it to the crypto world:  1 bitMark,  3 bitMarks

Short Code:  MARK or BMRK (four allowed, like Qora)

Brainstorming glitches: BiteMark, Bismarck,  Grin

Have you considered cryptMark (CMK or CMARK)
or: MarkBits (MARKB)

(although, I like the way it rolls of my tongue: BitMark)

Pentamon

http://www.oraforum.org  *  Yoda: "One stake to every human give!"
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 07:03:07 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 07:23:25 AM by coinsolidation

mymenace, thank you for the vote and the concept logo Smiley

Pentamon, thank you for the feedback. I'd like to avoid Apple's i prefix if possible, especially when we can have the term "bitmark" pretty much exclusively without it. As you said, it rolls off the tongue Smiley
I like MARK, worry about confusion, if 1 mark equals 0.001 bitmark, then a currency code of "MARK" for bitmark may end up ambiguous and confusing over time, do you agree?

Markbit, I like this term, perhaps it could be the equivalent of either a "bit" (0.000001 Bitmark / 0.001 Mark) or a satoshi (0.00000001 Bitmark). Personally I think bitmark equivalent to bitcoins bits is useful and my preferred option.

Thoughts on term usage:
  • The Bitmark: used to refer to the entire currency, as the dollar / the pound - usage: "... the Dollar was down again the Bitmark today at ..."
  • Bitmark: used to refer to the overall project, or to a single coin. Context clarifies - usage: "somebody just sent me my first bitmark!" and "have you heard about Bitmark?"
  • (future) Mark: used to refer to 0.001 bitmark, potentially a standard term for the currency - usage: "that tv is on sale for 250 marks" and "that will be one mark ninety-nine please"

Thoughts on short currency codes:
  • (2) BMK: +1 unique within it's domain, +1 no financial usage
  • (1) BTM: +1 unique within it's domain, +1 no financial usage, -1 possible confusion with a bitcoin atm (BTMs)
  • (0) BMRK: +1 unique within it's domain, -1 existing financial usage (Benchmark Energy Corporation)
  • (-1) MRK: -1 existing financial usage (Merck & Co.)
  • (-1) MARK: +1 unique within it's domain, -1 existing financial usage (Remark Media), -1 confusion with 0.001 bitmark (1.00 mark)

On scoring BMK comes out top. I do not think I like it, but it serves a purpose and is unambiguous in terms of current and future usage.

Thoughts on a bitmark satoshi 0.00000001:
  • no thoughts, does this even need named (yet), will it ever be used if we have bitmark, mark, and markbits covering names down to a precision of 0.000001?

lexusivan888

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:18:03 AM

nothing new,, EMC2 is like this.
there already has:DEM,,, dutch mark.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 08:44:36 AM

I like Bitmark. Solid name.

BTM sounds good to me too. I hadn't heard bitcoin ATMs referred to as BTMs before. Not sure if this is a trend or not, but I do like the sound of BTM.
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 05:04:53 PM

Today's Updates
1. Notes on the Bitmark, Block Reward, Monetary Supply, and (Network+Coin) Distribution: https://github.com/coinsolidation/bitmark/wiki/Currency
2. Requests for Community Discussion on Third Party Innovations: https://github.com/coinsolidation/bitmark/wiki/Third-Party-Innovations
3. Development Fund / Taxation in Detail: https://github.com/coinsolidation/bitmark/wiki/Development-Fund
4. Refinement of the main introduction and coin details https://github.com/coinsolidation/bitmark/wiki

Suggestion for Initial Difficulty
based on a network hashrate of: 50MH/s diff 1.4, 100mh/s: diff 2.8
working: (1.4*2^32/120 = 50,107,951) and (2.8*2^32/120 = 100,215,903)
reasoning: the first 720 blocks should require a reasonable amount of expenditure to generate before the diff changes.

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 11:11:48 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2014, 12:58:06 PM by coinsolidation

Update
I've started development on Bitmark late yesterday.

Bitmark is based on Bitcoin 0.9.2.1 with additions from the latest master branch of Litecoin, including of course scrypt support.
Bitmark will have mainnet, testnet, and regnet as bitcoin. It will also use a DNS Seeder.

Once the merge is complete and configured for Bitmark, I'll add it to the github repo for community testing.
Existing code tests will be updated for Bitmark.

Request for Funding
The total cost of resources for the first 3 months is 0.636 BTC, this covers:
  • 3 months of dedicated server for the project.
  • Domain name
  • 2 base templates, a public facing informational template, and an "administration" style template similar to blackcoinpool.com/dashboard
  • A small budget for leasedrigs to use on the testnet and to check block time generation as hashspeed changes rapidly, multipool diff drop mitigation

In return I can offer the first xx days (14?) of BTM from the development fund.

Alternative proposals are welcomed, as are btc donations to: 18rai2ichzUfXG6PVmUQLNPqBjtctnVRAD

edit: Thanks to whoever donated the 0.0159 BTC!

Bubbles06

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 05:42:29 AM

This project looks good and I sincerely wish you the best, but one thing I'm concerned about is interest from the average altcoin enthusiast. Without any shiny features or grand promises will a good, solid coin be enough to garner interest among so many competitors? I mean, I would hope so, but people seem to have the attention span of a three year old these days when it comes to coins. I worry that without all the latest trends like anon that this coin won't get the attention it deserves.
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 10:19:54 AM

This project looks good and I sincerely wish you the best, but one thing I'm concerned about is interest from the average altcoin enthusiast. Without any shiny features or grand promises will a good, solid coin be enough to garner interest among so many competitors? I mean, I would hope so, but people seem to have the attention span of a three year old these days when it comes to coins. I worry that without all the latest trends like anon that this coin won't get the attention it deserves.

Thank you for your kind words.

Short lived interest from the average altcoin enthusiast is not what we're looking for, nor excessive speculation, unwarranted hype, or artificially inflated value. Non of these things can benefit the bitmark project.

To me personally, one comment of support, some discussion on the specification or features, a bug found, or a genuine user is worth several times more.

Regarding attention, hopefully over time attention from those that can benefit from bitmark will be earned. Earned through consistent and committed development, a distinguished recognisable name, warranted evangelism, technical merit, longevity, you know... the way most real world and online projects earn their attention and adoption!

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 05:03:25 PM

Published Microtransactions and Microtrust (Migrating to Sidechain) on the wiki.

mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 06:57:24 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2014, 06:34:10 AM by mymenace

so if I got this right in layman terms the payment gateway and blockchain can be sidestepped in favour of peer to peer exchange.

thus reducing extra charges and resources used in paying for goods and services

with businesses adopting a currency and exchanging users fiat for crypto it would be similar to purchasing tokens at an arcade and those tokens being able to be used anywhere else

is this right

of course this is a great idea and would certainly help with greater adoption

Grin
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 01:32:52 PM

so if I got this right in layman terms the payment gateway and blockchain can be sidestepped in favour of peer to peer exchange.

thus reducing extra charges and resources used in paying for goods and services

with businesses adopting a currency and exchanging users fiat for crypto it would be similar to purchasing tokens at an arcade and those tokens being able to be used anywhere else

is this right

of course this is a great idea and would certainly help with greater adoption

Close enough Smiley

Existing trust-me micro-transaction providers (games, services, itunes, facebook) add bitmark support for withdrawal and deposits. They continue to handle micro-transactions in a proprietary way.
Entails money can now flow freely between these providers, decreases reliance on latent legacy systems, increases adoption of Bitmark.
Positions these providers as micro-exchanges, exchanging site specific virtual currency / fiat / bitmark.
Reduces costs and services for all parties, increases or enables flow of money and additional revenue streams.
Further enables new ways of working online (ebaying, any form of content creation).
Paves way for future chain based micro-transactions (sidechain).

Bootstrap in existing trust-me microtransaction platforms, huge potential market, encourages greater adoption.

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 03:50:13 PM

Published Allocation of Variables

Port Usage:
  • P2P Port: 9265 (testnet: 19265)
  • RPC Port: 9266 (testnet: 19266)

If you are aware of a collision with existing services please open an issue or reply.

mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 06:34:15 PM

I agree, but if the focus is on longevity adoption will not happen overnight.

If users and miners believe there is very limited chance of the dev running off with coins and the inability to pump and dump, adoption will come naturally

focusing on a target audience of the next gen users (18-25) and building a platform on the technology they are using will provide exposure unheard of in other alts

marketing would have to follow doge's example through social media with applications for smartphones

hope this is helpful to the dev if this is where the coin is going

Grin
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 06:41:32 PM

Very helpful, and that's the plan. Thank you Smiley

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 06:41:59 PM

Nothing new released today.

I am working on the first build and hope to have it on github soon.

The source is the latest bitcoin release, manually merged with the scrypt modifications from the latest litecoin branch. Considerably more work than it sounds, yet enjoyable. It should serve as a strong foundation for future developments.

If anybody can spare some time, please review and check the writings on the bitmark wiki, the earlier we can catch any flaws in my rationale, the better.

Thanks.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 08:14:04 PM

Personally I much prefer the old milli and micro system over bits(or marks in this case). I think it's pretty confusing as it will be natural for people to want to call a bitmark a mark.

I know Bitcoin is moving towards denominating bitcoins in bits instead of millibits now. But I thought I'd at least voice my opinion on this.

1 bitmark / 0.01 centimark(markcent maybe?) / 0.001 millimark / 0.000001 micromark / 0.00000001 a coinsolidation Tongue
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 169 »
  Print  

Jump to: