Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:35:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is PoS dead?  (Read 17274 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:36:16 PM

You didn't show me any stats. Please show me independently verifiable stats.

I don't need to. You say that PoS is controlled, you show the stats and the proof that it's controlled. We've all seen the stats for Bitcoin when Ghash had it owned, that's been proven.
I said no such thing Mr Strawman. Please reread my posts.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:39:23 PM

What group has claimed permanent control of bitcoin? Please prove your claim?

Do you have proof that any single entity controls PoS?
That's unfalsifiable. PoS has no way to know when it happens. That's the problem. I don't have a problem if governments use PoS because we can unelect them.

PoW has no way to know when it happens too. How do you know if Ghash doesn't control already 70% of hashrate? After all, it did go above 50%, do you think they just switched off part of their systems or still mining but from a different IP now? Which is more likely?
So what if it did? Tomorrow someone else will have better faster more hashing. That is guaranteed. Competition and greed drive bitcoin mining.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Schwarzalbert

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:40:20 PM

stop spewing such crap around, all your doing is trying to brain wash the newbies into thinking that PoS is a load of crap when your very obviously wrong. as if its even going to have any effect what so ever.

Correct! Thats all about it goes in this thread! Some users are trying to alienate newbies from POS. nothing more and nothing less.

@ all: Do your own research before you follow such crappy suggestions like POS is about to die or anything like this. Wink
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:42:47 PM

You didn't show me any stats. Please show me independently verifiable stats.

I don't need to. You say that PoS is controlled, you show the stats and the proof that it's controlled. We've all seen the stats for Bitcoin when Ghash had it owned, that's been proven.
I said no such thing Mr Strawman. Please reread my posts.

You implied that PoS is not immune from (permanent) centralization, because there is no proof it is immune, which implies it can be or is controlled by a single entity, but again you have no proof for this claim. You have no proof because there is no proof. There is no proof yet or there is no proof at all, this is for all of us to see in the future. At this moment there is no proof of that, only claims and theories.

Bitcoin network, on the contrary, has already provided proof that it can be controlled by a single entity. Is it controlled now? We don't know for sure, but it's very possible. It happened once, it can happen again if not happening already.
devphp

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:44:00 PM

That's unfalsifiable. PoS has no way to know when it happens. That's the problem. I don't have a problem if governments use PoS because we can unelect them.

PoW has no way to know when it happens too. How do you know if Ghash doesn't control already 70% of hashrate? After all, it did go above 50%, do you think they just switched off part of their systems or still mining but from a different IP now? Which is more likely?
So what if it did? Tomorrow someone else will have better faster more hashing. That is guaranteed. Competition and greed drive bitcoin mining.

What if it goes above 50%? You tell me if it's good or not. If that is not centralization, then what is?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:48:27 PM

What if it goes above 50%? You tell me if it's good or not. If that is not centralization, then what is?
Nobody can claim anything is completely immune from temporary centralization. It's impossible. It's not good or bad. Only God is permanence we can trust.

devphp

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:49:44 PM

It's not good or bad.

Let's agree it should be avoided in crypto currencies and leave it at that.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:58:27 PM

It's not good or bad.

Let's agree it should be avoided in crypto currencies and leave it at that.
Show any evidence that it's even possible. It's pure fantasy.

achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:59:12 PM

As it stands:

PoS coins could be more centralized than we think, and we can't prove or disprove it.

Ghash.io mined more than 50% blocks for a day, and we can prove it.

Question of the day:
Which one is more probable to have been centralized in the past regarding block generation, meaning 1 entity had control of over 50% hashrate / stake?

Wink
devphp

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:01:59 PM

Show any evidence that it's even possible.

You asking for this or something else?

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:09:42 PM

Don't rule out PoS so quick. PoW (aka Bitcoin) will suffer SERIOUS problems in the future. So PoW is not out of the question, or at least we may need a PoW alternative.. not sure how will this turn out.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:23:08 PM

Don't rule out PoS so quick. PoW (aka Bitcoin) will suffer SERIOUS problems in the future. So PoW is not out of the question, or at least we may need a PoW alternative.. not sure how will this turn out.

totally agree.. im not confident that PoS will be the one that will take over the world, but i am certain it will not be PoW. there will most certainly be a new coin out very soon that is far superior to PoS. its simple evolution of technology in hyperdrive.
Absolutely. America will have the best PoS coin because America is the greatest country in the world. You foreigners will have to use your own crappy PoS coin that nobody else will want.  Grin

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:27:57 PM

Show any evidence that it's even possible.

You asking for this or something else?

Your memory is short. You forgot what you were claiming. lulz.
Are you claiming this is permanent centralization?

Nobody can claim anything is completely immune from temporary centralization. It's impossible. It's not good or bad. Only God is permanence we can trust.

devphp

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:33:07 PM

I am not claiming anything. It's you who claim here PoS is bad, PoW is good, you don't have the proof, but that's the law of this land Cheesy
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:33:52 PM

I am not claiming anything. It's you who claims here PoS is bad, PoW is good, you don't have the proof, but that's the law of this land Cheesy
No. I said I love PoS and America will dominate it. God bless America.

Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:35:01 PM

i don't think so
POS is a interesting algo and people like it

only this that should be added with POS is a good way to distribute initial coin distribution
devphp

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:35:30 PM

I am not claiming anything. It's you who claims here PoS is bad, PoW is good, you don't have the proof, but that's the law of this land Cheesy

You're in the wrong subforum, this one is not about Politics Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:37:03 PM

You're in the wrong subforum, this one is not about Politics Smiley
Stake is all about politics, hell some of them even elect delegates, just like America!

devphp

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:38:31 PM

Stake is all about politics, hell some of them even elect delegates, just like America!

That's only in BitsharesX. There is no electing delegates in NXT, the algo chooses the next block generator in queue. There are a few implementations of PoS, unlike PoW.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:48:42 PM

That's only in BitsharesX. There is no electing delegates in NXT, the algo chooses the next block generator in queue. There are a few implementations of PoS, unlike PoW.
The algo doesn't choose anything. The queue is chosen by stakeholders. The algo simply executes the stakeholders wishes. The algo doesn't select the stakeholders either. The stakeholders are selected by people to have the power over the PoS economy. That is as political as you can get.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: