Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:04:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you Accept Komodo ICO conversion vs Reject Komodo ICO conversion and fund new dev team?
Accept - 145 (68.7%)
Reject - 66 (31.3%)
Total Voters: 211

Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... 547 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCD is no more  (Read 1328438 times)
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 05:30:11 AM

How will CryptoNote technologies be incorporated into this coin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jl777
Legendary

Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 05:44:09 AM

I am exploring various approaches, but have not decided on the final form yet

I am starting with the assumption that the user will simply want to go "privateSend" and then all the algos crunch away and after some time passes, the funds are available to the receiver.

If you look at my discussion thread with AnonyMint, the ring signature idea is actually very similar to the plan I initially had. At the time I wasnt aware of the ring signatures. Now that I am and also have already made a cryptonote fork, I am getting closer to being able to make the right choice. I do have one approach where I extracted the core ring signature algo in isolation and if I can surgically insert that into BTCD core, then it would be the cleanest approach, but would definitely take longer.

So, the question is do we want something that is available sooner, but does a two step process with a pNXT conduit, or takes longer and will need a LOT of testing with a pure merging of ring signatures into BTCD.

For now I am keeping my options open and implementing the things that either approach requires. It also fills out more of the "jigsaw puzzle" and the more of the puzzle pieces have their place known, the less unknown and the easier for someone like me to pop in the next piece. So as long as I can keep making incremental progress, then eventually at some point I am done

Pretty scientific isnt it Smiley
The basic theory is that if you have a problem P and can reduce its complexity to P-- and you can keep doing this, eventually it becomes "p" and I finish it in a day

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
paulthetafy

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 05:47:24 AM

Hi James,

I have an error linking pNXT.  If you're happy to discuss the issues here than ok, but I'll use pastebin for the errors otherwise it's going to get bloated here really fast Smiley

http://pastebin.com/n2XTYd81

make sure you have clang installed
from the pNXT/src directory do a:
./m_unix

that should make pNXTd in the pNXT/src/src directory

Kind of a mess, but I just used the existing make structure

James

Still no joy... http://pastebin.com/ckV8FewS

you have to install curl and it seems there is a boost issue...
I hate boost, so hard to install
maybe revert to 1.53? Just need to get the ubuntu to recognize the boost and I think it will work

James

P.S. You did do a "cmake .." from the pNXT/src directory?
Still no joy :/
It's basically complaining about not being able to find the static boost libraries.  I don't think I can downgrade to an earlier version either as they dont seem to be available for Ubuntu 14.  How annoying!
drawingthesun
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 05:53:11 AM

I am starting with the assumption that the user will simply want to go "privateSend" and then all the algos crunch away and after some time passes, the funds are available to the receiver.

If you look at my discussion thread with AnonyMint, the ring signature idea is actually very similar to the plan I initially had. At the time I wasnt aware of the ring signatures. Now that I am and also have already made a cryptonote fork, I am getting closer to being able to make the right choice. I do have one approach where I extracted the core ring signature algo in isolation and if I can surgically insert that into BTCD core, then it would be the cleanest approach, but would definitely take longer.

So, the question is do we want something that is available sooner, but does a two step process with a pNXT conduit, or takes longer and will need a LOT of testing with a pure merging of ring signatures into BTCD.

For now I am keeping my options open and implementing the things that either approach requires. It also fills out more of the "jigsaw puzzle" and the more of the puzzle pieces have their place known, the less unknown and the easier for someone like me to pop in the next piece. So as long as I can keep making incremental progress, then eventually at some point I am done

The basic theory is that if you have a problem P and can reduce its complexity to P-- and you can keep doing this, eventually it becomes "p" and I finish it in a day

James

Interesting, so you're attempting to merge CryptoNote and conventional bitcoin technologies?
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 06:08:52 AM

Hi James,

I have an error linking pNXT.  If you're happy to discuss the issues here than ok, but I'll use pastebin for the errors otherwise it's going to get bloated here really fast Smiley

./m_unix

James

maybe revert to 1.53? Just need to get the ubuntu to recognize the boost and I think it will work

James

It's basically complaining about not being able to find the static boost libraries.  I don't think I can downgrade to an earlier version either as they dont seem to be available for Ubuntu 14.  How annoying!
1.55?

You might try to install a vanilla BBR first. That would get all the compiler dependencies out of the way, then pNXTd will build

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:17:20 AM

Hi James,

I have an error linking pNXT.  If you're happy to discuss the issues here than ok, but I'll use pastebin for the errors otherwise it's going to get bloated here really fast Smiley

./m_unix

James

James

It's basically complaining about not being able to find the static boost libraries.  I don't think I can downgrade to an earlier version either as they dont seem to be available for Ubuntu 14.  How annoying!
1.55?

You might try to install a vanilla BBR first. That would get all the compiler dependencies out of the way, then pNXTd will build

Quick glance, try to install the -dev package for static libs... you might only have the .so's and not the .libs

better to ensure you arent compiling a static target... its not a good idea. Better to build dynamically, remove -static from the makefile if its there.

Also you are missing lib curl package aswell.
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 06:20:00 AM

James

Interesting, so you're attempting to merge CryptoNote and conventional bitcoin technologies?
Long term that could be the preferred solution to simplify the architecture, but I want to get something out sooner rather than later so I plan on doing a "soft merge", so they both coexist. Then again I might just get a flash of insight on how to do something totally original and solve the fundamental problem of privacy. That's really what this is about. If I can create a privacy solution that passes peer review, then the exact algo is not so relevant.

BitcoinDark is committed to continue to advance privacy tech while at the same time providing other valuable services all in a user friendly environment. So, currently ring signatures look very good, but zerocoin threatens to come out with zerocash and if they actually do and their zeroknowledge stuff is really as good as they say, it would make sense to integrate that into BitcoinDark. I like to have different privacy levels, so maybe basic level uses mixing, corporate level uses ring signatures, advanced uses zerocash and total-invisibility level combines all of them.

I want people to be able to choose BitcoinDark and then not have to worry about whether it was the right tech choice. BTCD will be like the Borg, we will assimilate all useful tech. If I made a mistake (I do this on occasion) and made the wrong selection, then I will simply correct it and pop in the better algo.

So things are evolving and will continue to evolve. Privacy tech is like antivirus tech. As soon as you reach a certain level of privacy, attackers start attacking and it is prudent to improve the algorithms.

James

nrg_wolf
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:31:06 AM

how can these people just keep dumping......
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 06:37:33 AM

Its ok, like waves. goes up, goes down.
They key is if the tide is rising or not.
Need to average the waves to check this

paulthetafy

Activity: 820

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:43:28 AM

Hi James,

I have an error linking pNXT.  If you're happy to discuss the issues here than ok, but I'll use pastebin for the errors otherwise it's going to get bloated here really fast Smiley

./m_unix

James

James

It's basically complaining about not being able to find the static boost libraries.  I don't think I can downgrade to an earlier version either as they dont seem to be available for Ubuntu 14.  How annoying!
1.55?

Quick glance, try to install the -dev package for static libs... you might only have the .so's and not the .libs

better to ensure you arent compiling a static target... its not a good idea. Better to build dynamically, remove -static from the makefile if its there.

Also you are missing lib curl package aswell.
I have curl installed (that's an old error post), I have libboost-all-dev installed, I see nothing in CMakeLists.txt about using static libs.  Sorry don't think i can burn any more time on this now.  I guess I'll just wait until other people figure it out.
gitbknowsall

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:53:52 AM

trying to get the price down :\ not working at all.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:08:03 AM

This coin is looking more and more promising with each passing day

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
gitbknowsall

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:08:59 AM

Hmm also having issues building pNXT but they are complications with packages in Ubuntu.

Code:
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libboost-all-dev : Depends: libboost-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-atomic-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-chrono-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-context-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-date-time-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-exception-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-filesystem-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-graph-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-graph-parallel-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-iostreams-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-locale-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-math-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-mpi-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-mpi-python-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-program-options-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-python-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-random-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-regex-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-serialization-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-signals-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-system-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-test-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-thread-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-timer-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-wave-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
SpringfieldM1A

Activity: 966
Merit: 550

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:30:48 AM

Look what I found on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CryptoTherapist/status/491482611714621442 Smiley
That guy is right, someone should make Bitcoindark accepted here banners Smiley (I would but my PS skills suck)
MrFeiLong

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:40:51 AM

Hello!! I'm a beginner and I would like to ask few questions because I can't find answers. BTCD is a kind of freshness in cryptocurrency and it's very interesting, that's why I want to know. I was mining untill POW phase end. And can anyone explain to me:

1). What exactly POW phase is?
2). Can we still mine BTCD ? Or will we be able in the future? Because there's info about official pool in the main BTCD thread but there is no our coin. Can anyone explain how it works?

I'll be very grateful for answers Smiley

Hi FeiLong!

1. PoW phase was the temporary period of time when BTCD could be mined. Now that it is over and PoS phase is in, you can only generate new coins by leaving your wallet running and letting it 'stake'.

2. We will never be able to mine BTCD again, it's actually quite rare. Only a little over 1 million coins exist. The pools on the main page are for 'multipools' which mine other coins and pay out in BTCD they buy on the exchanges.

Thank You for answer ! So if I understood right, we can gain some coins on multipools but we gain BTCD only by exchanges made by pool?

To gain coins, you can either

1. Leave your wallet unlocked and running on your computer. Your coins will 'stake' and gain interest (~5%/year)
2. Point your miners to a multipool (suggest dark.xpool.ca) and they will buy BTCD and pay you with them
3. Buy BTCD yourself

Smiley

Thanks Cloudboy for all the answers Smiley
daemonfox

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:52:04 AM

Look what I found on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CryptoTherapist/status/491482611714621442 Smiley
That guy is right, someone should make Bitcoindark accepted here banners Smiley (I would but my PS skills suck)

mymenace has shown some awesome work for XXXCoin banners and infographics.

The premine holder should contact him directly and offer a bounty... as his work is top notch.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=114706

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
     ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                     ¦¦   
    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦  
   ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦              ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
    ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
     ¦¦                      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
....ZEN Nodes.... ....Horizen Academy.... ....Help Desk    ....Faucet   
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:11:47 AM

share the article please http://www.coinssource.com/bitcoindark-transitions-from-pow-phase-pure-pos/
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:17:10 AM

I think BitcoinDark is too much Bitcoin. Let's use DarkNotes and it will help to understand the connection between the coin and the Cryptonote technology: https://cryptonote.org/inside.php
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:22:49 AM

Hmm also having issues building pNXT but they are complications with packages in Ubuntu.

Code:
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libboost-all-dev : Depends: libboost-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-atomic-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-chrono-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-context-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-date-time-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-exception-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-filesystem-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-graph-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-graph-parallel-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-iostreams-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-locale-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-math-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-mpi-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-mpi-python-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-program-options-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-python-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-random-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-regex-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-serialization-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-signals-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-system-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-test-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-thread-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-timer-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libboost-wave-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I hate boost even more. Sorry I cant help, I got lucky. I think I installed boost from boost.org, the built in Ubuntu is usually out of date

On a happier note, I am 80% debugged! At least in my one off test cases. Of course more rigorous testing could well find some edge cases I miss, but gotta get these "easy" cases working first.
So decent progress today. The price going crazy was a bit distracting, I really need to close the market pages when coding!

client -> privacyServer selection (non-encrypted) - works
client -> privacyServer encrypted UDP channel - works
client -> privacyServer encrypted TCP channel - works
privacyServer -> client non-encrypted handshake - works
privacyServer -> client encrypted UDP channel - transmits but error decrypting
privacyServer -> client encrypted TCP channel - untested (actually currently this path is not used)
client -> privacyServer -> another client via two layer onion routing - untested

I was thinking about each privacyServer keeping a directory of clients that it is responsible for. Just the public acct # and the public key. However now I am leaning toward just broadcasting any client -> client comms that are not connected via the same privacyServer. This would add bandwidth, but it eliminates a potential attack vector. I cant think of how an attacker can use the directory of public addresses and keys, but if there is no directory, then I think it is one less piece of data that is available. The less data to be correlated, the better.

So the logic will be:
client selects privacyServer. Now most commands are routed through the privacyServer. API calls like getOrderbooks, placeBid, etc. These just go to the privacyServer and it handles it. OK, so that's the easy stuff. The hard part is what to do when you want to communicate with someone else. Let us assume that the privacyServer can magically know how to communicate to everyone, but we dont want other people to be able to snoop and find out that you are.

Is this even possible? Well, this is where the fact that we trust the privacyServer comes in really handy.

Say A wants to send a message to B without letting anybody except the privacyServer know and the only thing the privacyServer will know is that A send something to B, but even the privacyServer wont know WHAT was sent.

A first makes the message then tokenizes it with a timestamp. This both proves that A made the message and at what time. It prevents not only spoofing, but also replay attacks. A replay attack is where the attacker makes a copy of a valid message and rebroadcasts it. Maybe it doesnt do anything bad, but it could certainly confuse things, so I like to timestamp, tokenize and then encrypt. OK, so here is one problem I need B's public key to encrypt the message to him. So I need to magically get that somehow, maybe from a query to the server or simply processing broadcasts of the public keys. Either with pros/cons, I will decide later on specifics for that.

OK, so now we have a time validated, account validated and encrypted message to B. Only the fact that it is addressed to B is possible to be determined by getting this packet.

So can we send that? Well, not quite. What if the attacker has taps into the major internet routers? You dont want to be sending stuff in the clear (unencrypted). That would allow the attacker to know that A is sending something to B. So, we add another layer of encryption by re-encrypting the packet so that only the privacyServer can decode it. Now the attacker that is monitoring all internet packets will only see that you sent something to the privacyServer, but you send everything through the privacyServer, so it really doesnt divulge much information.

If you are with me so far, we now look at what the privacyServer gets. It is an encrypted packet that it is able to decode and it sees that what it gets is another encrypted packet that is addressed to B. So, it then "just" sends it to the privacyServer that B selected, or broadcasts it to all nodes. Now anybody that intercepts this packet will only know that it came from the privacyServer and not A.

So, B finally gets the packet, is able to decrypt it and gets the message from A.

Now that I write this, I do think it is better for the privacyServers to keep a directory of all accts/publickeys and then each client can query the privacyServer for the public key. There is much less info divulged by doing this as each acct can broadcast to everyone its public key when it comes online. So there is no correlation possible and the queries about B's publickey is done under encryption, so no info leaked.

It helps me think about things by writing these long emails. I hope I didnt bore you with wall of text. If anybody can see ANY flaws in this logic, please let me know ASAP. just describing this has not been easy, imagine coding and debugging it!
I hope you can see that once there is this encryption network in place, then all sorts of things become possible, all while remaining private. Businesses can conduct business using a public address, but its privacyServer will route everything to private addresses that only it knows about. This will allow businesses to conduct business without letting their competitors know all their income and expenses and even from whom.

So if you followed this so far, you can see why I am not so concerned about the exact anon algo as any of them will fit nicely into this system, they can even be combined. For those of you waiting for a selloff, I apologize.

James

@Azeh: I think the description in this post is pretty useful to start getting people understanding how privacyServers create privacy, hopefully it is useful for marketing and especially making pretty charts.

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:33:13 AM

I just thought of a small leak of info
If I allow different length messages, then an attacker could deduce the type of message you are sending by tracking the size of the packets. Not sure how big of a problem this is. The problem with fixed sized messages is that it will waste a fair amount of bandwidth.

Ah, maybe this is one of the differences in privacy levels!
Yes, I like that. At lower levels of privacy, such small info leakage is accepted,but at higher levels of privacy, all messages will be of fixed size

James

Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... 547 »
  Print  

Jump to: