Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:08:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you Accept Komodo ICO conversion vs Reject Komodo ICO conversion and fund new dev team?
Accept - 145 (68.7%)
Reject - 66 (31.3%)
Total Voters: 211

Pages: « 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 ... 547 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCD is no more  (Read 1328438 times)
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 08:02:38 AM

Ah, yeah that work out, it would just be nice to have something when to people are transferring a large sum to rule out accidentally sending to an old but active address that could accept payment. Send one payment to an address, go to send another, accidentally send second to the last. Heck I derped on an NOMP pool shortly for the BTCD mining after switching pools and making new bat files a few times. That was because for some reason my Synergy that links two of my systems was only sharing clipboard in one direction. I cut, repasted to make sure it copied correctly, switched the mouse over to the other system and pasted into the bat file. Bit later looking at pool stats, wait what? That's not the right address... I had to completely kill and restart all the synergy processes to get two way clipboard sharing working again. That was just weird, but that's exactly how freak accidents happen..
with teleport you are not sending to an address, but rather to a node, which happens to have a specific public address. They can make a new public address, but it would end up on the same destination computer.

I hope that makes sense. teleport is connecting node to node (via privacyServers) and I assign each node a public address based on what the user puts in the config file. You can send to BTCD or BTC or NXT address, all go to the same node. Also, if a person is running their privacyServer on the same computer, you could even send to the privacyServer's public address and it would also end up on that computer

So if you are sending to a pubaddr and it exists and it is responding, it is very hard for it to not be your intended destination. I prevent spoofing by requiring all packets to be signed by the linked NXT address, so some random person cant just claim a pubaddr for themselves.

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jd1959

Activity: 529
Merit: 505

I'm on drugs, what's your excuse?

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:05:59 AM

I did it this way as the old file was huge and kept timing out uploading

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/355c90994f02f8f73d9d

had a similar problem with another wallet ages ago.....the problem there was someone / people running old wallet that kept requesting data but couldn't use the data, so request again

Also noticed balance of data usage about 60/40   send receive....any ideas ?
it seems that you are connected to a node that is sending many of these messages. the new release will fix this.
actually we might be able to make a test version for you to run and then you can verify if it fixes the problem
hopefully it will be available soon

James

That would be awesome.....Thank you once again......you are seriously the most active dev I've every seen......I've followed you from NXT, BBR and now here.....there is no escape LOL   Grin

dICO Disguised Instant Cash Out
Langly

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:18:36 AM

Ah, yeah that work out, it would just be nice to have something when to people are transferring a large sum to rule out accidentally sending to an old but active address that could accept payment. Send one payment to an address, go to send another, accidentally send second to the last. Heck I derped on an NOMP pool shortly for the BTCD mining after switching pools and making new bat files a few times. That was because for some reason my Synergy that links two of my systems was only sharing clipboard in one direction. I cut, repasted to make sure it copied correctly, switched the mouse over to the other system and pasted into the bat file. Bit later looking at pool stats, wait what? That's not the right address... I had to completely kill and restart all the synergy processes to get two way clipboard sharing working again. That was just weird, but that's exactly how freak accidents happen..
with teleport you are not sending to an address, but rather to a node, which happens to have a specific public address. They can make a new public address, but it would end up on the same destination computer.

I hope that makes sense. teleport is connecting node to node (via privacyServers) and I assign each node a public address based on what the user puts in the config file. You can send to BTCD or BTC or NXT address, all go to the same node. Also, if a person is running their privacyServer on the same computer, you could even send to the privacyServer's public address and it would also end up on that computer

So if you are sending to a pubaddr and it exists and it is responding, it is very hard for it to not be your intended destination. I prevent spoofing by requiring all packets to be signed by the linked NXT address, so some random person cant just claim a pubaddr for themselves.

Yeah, it makes sense. As I mentioned though, some people accidentally send to an address they sent to in the past instead of the one they meant to sent to, like the guy sending to the MtGox addy. People do screw up and send coin to a recently used address instead of the one they mean to, and a recently used address can very well still be alive and active. But it's all up to you, if I were ever able to send a large value teleport it would make me feel better even with checking 20 times that I have the right address in the field it won't accept if it's incorrect but a live node.

I once had a strange bug in the eBay shipping applet caused my current shipping label to print with the address the previous one should have. One person wound up getting two items, 3 the wrong item and I was very confused as I only ever box one item at a time, print the label, attach to box, close the window, box the next item open the shipping for that, print label, attach to box, close. The labels even matched the onscreen info. You would think that would leave no way to have a wrong label, but I guess not. I would really DREAD having something happen like that while if I were sending out a bunch of large payments in a row from what ever source I was getting addresses from. All good live addresses, but the system feeding me them had choked on itself.
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 08:21:29 AM

Yeah, it makes sense. As I mentioned though, some people accidentally send to an address they sent to in the past instead of the one they meant to sent to, like the guy sending to the MtGox addy. People do screw up and send coin to a recently used address instead of the one they mean to, and a recently used address can very well still be alive and active. But it's all up to you, if I were ever able to send a large value teleport it would make me feel better even with checking 20 times that I have the right address in the field it won't accept if it's incorrect but a live node.

I once had a strange bug in the eBay shipping applet caused my current shipping label to print with the address the previous one should have. One person wound up getting two items, 3 the wrong item and I was very confused as I only ever box one item at a time, print the label, attach to box, close the window, box the next item open the shipping for that, print label, attach to box, close. The labels even matched the onscreen info. You would think that would leave no way to have a wrong label, but I guess not. I would really DREAD having something happen like that while if I were sending out a bunch of large payments in a row from what ever source I was getting addresses from. All good live addresses, but the system feeding me them had choked on itself.
Wouldnt having a password that the destination had to put in protect against your scenario above?

Langly

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:33:19 AM

Wouldnt having a password that the destination had to put in protect against your scenario above?

Yeah, my only side point had been, if it can be preentered the person getting paid could enter it when requesting payment so the person paying doesn't need wait for them to get around to entering it and can just pay promptly when they get the message to pay. At that point it would be more about time efficiency for the person getting paid to preenter for the payment. You mentioned the lack of need for it in that order as it's being sent to a node which has a specific public address. It technically wouldn't add more than the initial idea to do, it was just an additional use of it. If a person being paid can preenter the pass a person paying them gives them. It also means the inverse is completely possible, even if not necessary, without additional effort.

Edit: people can be clumsy, if someone owed me a large payment, I'd like to be sure there was no way they could fat finger it and send it to the last person they paid by accident. I may be more sure of my ability, but others, one little safeguard and they can't accidentally send it off to the address they paid 5 minutes before instead. I've watched someone walk up to an ATM with an OUT OF ORDER sign OVER the screen, tear it off and try and use it, then get mad it didnt work. Also heard of people losing their cards that way then getting mad. Spoofing may be prevented, but idiotproofing is nice as well.
Fern

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:59:39 AM

While on this topic, will there be an indicator for ‘teleport system status’ in the client, such as number of privacy servers currently running? Just to give users peace of mind that everything they need is ready.
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 09:06:40 AM

While on this topic, will there be an indicator for ‘teleport system status’ in the client, such as number of privacy servers currently running? Just to give users peace of mind that everything they need is ready.
I can provide the raw data to the GUI. As to all the fancy graphics, etc. that is not me

Jimmy2011

Activity: 589
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:16:40 AM

BitcoinDark Block Explorer: http://stakexplorer.com:1234

Enjoy it.

Donations to R9kZxVTw2hk4oU8cKbSPcjFxnE7wBf1rWr are appreciated.

SHossain

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:18:27 AM

Interesting thing I found that, on Windows 8 there is more active connection to BitcoinDark network (found 67+) rather than Windows 7. I used to get only 16 active connections from Win7 but getting 27 today morning. Don't know anything about Mac or Linux. Just for the clarification, used 2 different laptops on different networks.
Fern

Activity: 247

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:21:02 AM

I can provide the raw data to the GUI. As to all the fancy graphics, etc. that is not me

Even if it was just a number to glance at before sending. Because we are relying on something outside of the clients, I think to see something physical would be good. Not a crucial issue at this stage. Thanks.
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:24:06 AM

btcd is 15th on coinmarketcap with 4,000,000$. u know what that means.
leathan

Activity: 111
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 09:49:19 AM

Is there any way I can help? I can code in most languages? I think this is the crypto that I most like... I think.. I have some ideas but am nervous to just throw them out there .. and im noob to the group.

Does BTCD have an irc?
do you know C?
any examples of your code, eg. on github?

Alternatively can you get stuff to compile on Windows or Mac?

Not for 11 years :/ but I think I can.. and yes i can compile or cross compile. Not much on github since the last 5-6 yrs ive mainly just read documentations. I can help in any way however doesnt have to be code or code related. I have spent the better half of the last month reading and I feel you guys are on the right track. so any help i can give id be happy. My specialty is regular expressions and scripting languages like php/perl/js.

count=($(grep -d recurse -Hn "wallet\.dat" / | cut -d":" -f1 | uniq -c |xargs echo | grep -oh -P '(\d+) ')); sum=0; for i in ${count[*]}; do sum=$(($sum+$i)); done; echo $sum; #  soo much crypto?
jeezy
Legendary

Activity: 1237
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:49:50 AM

btcd is 15th on coinmarketcap with 4,000,000$. u know what that means.

What does it mean?  Shocked
leathan

Activity: 111
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 09:56:57 AM

Maybe we should also translate to some other major languages?

Shall I get some price quotes from professional high quality translation services or is it not necessary to translate into more languages atm?
I think we are OK for now, though if we have volunteer translators that would be great

I really doubt that we will find people who do it for free as it is a lot of work and requires someone at least semi professional. I think we dont need it right now, english and chinese should be enough for a while.

I am a native spanish & english speaker... dont know if that will help but Id translate it for free.

count=($(grep -d recurse -Hn "wallet\.dat" / | cut -d":" -f1 | uniq -c |xargs echo | grep -oh -P '(\d+) ')); sum=0; for i in ${count[*]}; do sum=$(($sum+$i)); done; echo $sum; #  soo much crypto?
4emily

Activity: 577

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:12:15 AM

Enjoy it.

just checked my a/c using the Explorer and got a nasty surprise - the balance showing was approx half what it should have been. Reasoning (or more like fervently hoping) I hadn't been hacked - why would any hacker leave half the balance? - I opened my wallet, waited 5 mins for it to sync (seemed longer somehow) to find the entire balance showing correctly.

Unless it's my wallet that's wrong, it must be the Explorer - they can't both be right

These sort of shocks I can do without  Smiley
SpringfieldM1A

Activity: 966
Merit: 550

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:17:26 AM

Enjoy it.

just checked my a/c using the Explorer and got a nasty surprise - the balance showing was approx half what it should have been. Reasoning (or more like fervently hoping) I hadn't been hacked - why would any hacker leave half the balance? - I opened my wallet, waited 5 mins for it to sync (seemed longer somehow) to find the entire balance showing correctly.

Unless it's my wallet that's wrong, it must be the Explorer - they can't both be right

The balance will only be correct on a fully synched wallet.
EcoChavCrypto

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:23:44 AM

Not wishing to interfere with the current debate it's been interesting to say the least...and congrates to dev team......love your work  Grin

However my wallet is still chewing way too much data to leave it open for staking.....I know I've only got open it and sync a couple of times a day to increase weight.

That being said it does not help maintain the network doing it like that......I would really like to be told how to block nodes in wallet, I can't find any add/remove nodes command

I know I'm far from the smartest guy......If they ever release a coin with proof of stupidity it'll have my picture on it. So if anybody can tell me how to go about it I will be very grateful

Jon   Huh

do you have access to a different machine? our tests are not seeing any such massive bandwidth usage, so we are thinking maybe it is some other program? so if a different computer does same thing, we can narrow problem down

Have installed every thing on a different computer after monitoring for 20 minutes 9.27 Megabytes of data times 72 = 667.24 megs in 24 hours, it still seems too much to me

Jon  Undecided

You have raised an interesting point.  I am currently out in the country staking via my laptop and using my phone as a hotspot.  I think I have 2 GB left on my plan.  How long do you estimate that 2 GB to be swallowed?

▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████
  ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄███████▀   ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▄▄▄████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████████
█████████   ▄▄▄▄   ▀███████
█████████   █████   ███████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   █████   ██████▀
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███▀▀   █████▀
      ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▀
     █████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Bitcoin Air 

█      ███
█      ███
  ██
  ██  ███
  ██  ███
  ██  ███
      ███
█  ██
  ███
█  ██
  ███
   ██
  ███
█  ██  ███
█  ██  ███
█  ██
     ██  █
███  ██  █
███  ██
███  ██  █
███  ██  █
███  ██  █
███      █
███  ██ 
███  ██ 
     ██ 
███
  ██ 
███
  ██ 
     ██

EcoChavCrypto

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:27:42 AM

Maybe we should also translate to some other major languages?

Shall I get some price quotes from professional high quality translation services or is it not necessary to translate into more languages atm?

You can get translations done for pretty much every language on fiverr.com very reasonably priced.  I have used them in the past with great results.

▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████
  ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄███████▀   ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▄▄▄████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████████
█████████   ▄▄▄▄   ▀███████
█████████   █████   ███████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   █████   ██████▀
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███▀▀   █████▀
      ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▀
     █████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Bitcoin Air 

█      ███
█      ███
  ██
  ██  ███
  ██  ███
  ██  ███
      ███
█  ██
  ███
█  ██
  ███
   ██
  ███
█  ██  ███
█  ██  ███
█  ██
     ██  █
███  ██  █
███  ██
███  ██  █
███  ██  █
███  ██  █
███      █
███  ██ 
███  ██ 
     ██ 
███
  ██ 
███
  ██ 
     ██

Jimmy2011

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:31:55 AM

Enjoy it.

The block chain is updated to the latest block. I'm sorry I can't tell what mistakes because I have no BTCD at hand and I can't confirm it.
Jimmy2011

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:32:57 AM

Question: Why did BTCD set the max coin days unlimited?

Code:
unsigned int nStakeMaxAge = -1; // BitcoinDark - unlimited

Pages: « 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 ... 547 »
  Print  

Jump to: