Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:15:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [XMG] MAGI | CPU mining | mPoW | mPoS | [MagiPay]  (Read 2375350 times)
Melody Jelly

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 07:54:01 PM

Who knows why the net hashrate stated lower than for example minerclaim pool hashrate?
Is this the reason why the block reward stays max value?
overclock64

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 07:07:24 AM

Some noob questions if I can.
I been mining XMG for some time and stopped over a year ago due to family issues. I never sold any and now I have a fair bit and considering to start PoS again as I did few years ago. As I have been out of the game for sometime, I need to start from scratch again.
I downloaded the latest wallet 1.4.5.3 twice (one from github and one from the magi page) and both show positive to trojans, Bitrep.B and Tiggre!rfn. It may be a false positive but would like some feedback before unzipping it.
I will soon restart my miners and use the CPU power to mine more XMG but at the moment I am more keen to run the wallet and start staking again.
My questions are:
Suppose you have over 6000 coins, what is the best way to approach PoS?
Splitting it into 6 wallets and make all wallets stake?
Can you run all 6 wallets on one machine? I mean run few instance of the wallet.
Is the virus warning a false positive?
In the past I mined for fun and accumulated XMG with intention to hold and never really paid much attention to PoS and the more I read the more confused I get. If I am using the wrong thread, where can I get the answers I need? Cheers!
edward0181

Activity: 276
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:48:18 AM

Some noob questions if I can.
I been mining XMG for some time and stopped over a year ago due to family issues. I never sold any and now I have a fair bit and considering to start PoS again as I did few years ago. As I have been out of the game for sometime, I need to start from scratch again.
I downloaded the latest wallet 1.4.5.3 twice (one from github and one from the magi page) and both show positive to trojans, Bitrep.B and Tiggre!rfn. It may be a false positive but would like some feedback before unzipping it.
I will soon restart my miners and use the CPU power to mine more XMG but at the moment I am more keen to run the wallet and start staking again.
My questions are:
Suppose you have over 6000 coins, what is the best way to approach PoS?
Splitting it into 6 wallets and make all wallets stake?
Can you run all 6 wallets on one machine? I mean run few instance of the wallet.
Is the virus warning a false positive?
In the past I mined for fun and accumulated XMG with intention to hold and never really paid much attention to PoS and the more I read the more confused I get. If I am using the wrong thread, where can I get the answers I need? Cheers!

1) wallet indeed show up as trojan on scanners... no wurries, it's false possitive. Running several wallets on diff computers both Linux and Windows, and run just fine.
2) In you .conf file you can set up staking combine and split threshold. No need for different wallet adresses, as client will split and combine itself.
Code:
# Transaction under stake with a value greater than the threshold is being splitted
stakesplitthreshold=250

# Transactions with values less than the threshold will combine into one
stakecombinethreshold=100
Will just do the trick. You'll have to play with settings a bit to see what works.

Bigger numbers will be picked for staking sooner, then again, it'll take a long time (520 confirms) for them to become available to wallet again for staking or transfer.
Lower numbers will be picked for staking less soon, then again, you can stake multiple times on same amount as a chunk of 6000 coins will be split into several smaller chunks.

Just play with settings and see what works for you.
Above works fine for me though.

edward0181

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:50:23 AM

Seeing same time hack again, on same PoS ammount again.
Joe, I really hope this is fixed soon, I see the orphans rising again.
Cheers!

overclock64

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:18:14 AM

Thanks Edward  Smiley
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 09:00:22 AM

Think the problem really is lack of staking - I've no issues with staking must be plenty more PoW than PoS.

I wonder if one of the bigger holders stopped staking
edward0181

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 09:06:56 AM

I don't hold enough coins to stake all day ;-)
If I had your amounts, i'd do the same as you do though.

starmman
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 09:23:26 AM

one of the larger holders (9MzPaRKmmsE1duWSL1rxn1XHzjNZ3oAStg), stopped staking 4 days ago
that could be contributing to the issue (although it has been running for longer than 4 days)
drgauravxmg

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 01:48:10 PM

Need help.

What does this mean :

EXCEPTION: St13runtime_error      
CDB() : can't open database file wallet.dat, error -30974

I have been trying to re sync the chain from the uploaded file at m-core.org. I have my wallet backed up. I pasted it on my newly downloaded blockchain folder right where it has to be. But still I get this error.

Would really appreciate the help.

Thank You!

does wallet.dat has read-write rights?
What is in your debug.log and db.log (first clear them and restart magi core) then copy past log files here.

wallet.dat has no such locked READ and WRITE Attributes.
I have deleted the debug.log and db.log restarted the Magi Core. It is stuck at 88days ago. There are active connections.

No help, it has been more than an hour now.

Any updates on this? The other Senior Members have probably overlooked my query. Could you please help?

Thank You!

Hi, sorry - didn't notice your message - did you try checkwallet and repairwallet in the console?

Yes. No errors there either.

Please also check the debug.log and db.log posted a few posts earlier.

Thank You!

Extremely sorry to quote again and again. But any further Updates on the same?

Thank You!

Sorry to bother again. But, haven't heard anything about a solution for this.

starmman
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 03:04:02 PM

Sorry to bother again. But, haven't heard anything about a solution for this.

does this link help - looks like somebody had the same issue on bitcoin core and reindexed the blockchain
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125429.msg21236113#msg21236113
overclock64

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:04:05 AM

Thanks Edward  Smiley

Guys I need some more help please Angry

Wallet is running and fully synchronized.  How do I put my address in it?
on the "receive" tab shows an address already (not mine) and I can't delete it. I can change the "label" but the address field is grayed.
Tried to add mine but can only put the label and the address gets filled up automatically. No option to edit it.
What am I doing wrong?
jonathin.r

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 01:33:19 AM

Perhaps I was a tad bit over-reactive with my previous statement, but my level of frustration with the matter still stands. I can respect that the devs are now (finally) responding to the situation, but the response time was inexcusable. If my bank took this long to respond to a security matter, they wouldn't have a client base any longer.

Grumblings aside, I have a couple questions.

How are people finding out who these attacker(s) are? When I view the blockchain explorer, all I see are transactions for varying amounts, and when I go into the transactions page of my TrasmaMod account, I see different amounts of orphaned blocks. I remember someone posting a IP address here, and after doing some basic portscans/etc, I found that they had been using an OpenVPN to bounce their traffic. If they had been using a VPN that can be changed on the fly, then what can we possibly do to thwart this rash of attacks against the network?

Also, everyone keeps using the term "attack against the network"... If I use the MagiCoin network while an attack is ongoing, am I safe? I mean, my devices are buttoned-up with firewalls and other precautions, but is that enough? Since I running a miner and wallet on Windows, am I at anymore risk of being compromised than if I were to do this all from my Linux box? What kind of protections does the MagiCoin network offer to people who use it for transactions?

And lastly, what are the devs doing to stop these attacks? Will there be another fork?

Is everyone just going to continue avoiding my questions? Everyone here is just okay with throwing their CPU cycles at a potentially insecure crytocurrency? I think I and everyone else deserve some answers.

My XMG Address: 9LzxHqsxrRPMCyBffjMc3cLuB5hwEG5Ufq
"Un pour tous, tous pour un" - The Three Musketeers, 1844
magiboi

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 08:01:22 AM

Height   Finder   Time   Difficulty   Amount   Expected Shares   Actual Shares   Percentage
1764283   unknown   04/20/2018 15:33:18   1.4521   16.68   95,167   0   0.00
1764282   unknown   04/20/2018 15:31:36   1.0354   16.46   67,854   0   0.00

here we go again
starmman
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 08:18:44 AM

Thanks Edward  Smiley

Guys I need some more help please Angry

Wallet is running and fully synchronized.  How do I put my address in it?
on the "receive" tab shows an address already (not mine) and I can't delete it. I can change the "label" but the address field is grayed.
Tried to add mine but can only put the label and the address gets filled up automatically. No option to edit it.
What am I doing wrong?

The address that is greyed will be the address for the wallet that you are running, if you send coin to that address from another wallet funds will be added to your wallet - you can only retrieve a previous address by restoring a wallet that previously contained that address, you can't simply copy and paste an address (otherwise anybody could steal anybody elses funds)

In short: You'll need a wallet.dat file or a backup for the address you are expecting to see
starmman
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 08:28:57 AM

Perhaps I was a tad bit over-reactive with my previous statement, but my level of frustration with the matter still stands. I can respect that the devs are now (finally) responding to the situation, but the response time was inexcusable. If my bank took this long to respond to a security matter, they wouldn't have a client base any longer.

How are people finding out who these attacker(s) are? When I view the blockchain explorer, all I see are transactions for varying amounts, and when I go into the transactions page of my TrasmaMod account, I see different amounts of orphaned blocks. I remember someone posting a IP address here, and after doing some basic portscans/etc, I found that they had been using an OpenVPN to bounce their traffic. If they had been using a VPN that can be changed on the fly, then what can we possibly do to thwart this rash of attacks against the network?

Also, everyone keeps using the term "attack against the network"... If I use the MagiCoin network while an attack is ongoing, am I safe? I mean, my devices are buttoned-up with firewalls and other precautions, but is that enough? Since I running a miner and wallet on Windows, am I at anymore risk of being compromised than if I were to do this all from my Linux box? What kind of protections does the MagiCoin network offer to people who use it for transactions?

And lastly, what are the devs doing to stop these attacks? Will there be another fork?

Is everyone just going to continue avoiding my questions? Everyone here is just okay with throwing their CPU cycles at a potentially insecure crytocurrency? I think I and everyone else deserve some answers.

Hi, I'm helping out with most questions on here - but can't easily answer the ones you posted regarding the dev stuff, was hoping somebody else would pick it up, I don't think there hasn't been an acknowledgement of a problem from the dev team until now, personally, I'm not sure if the coin is working as designed and its a case of more people mining than staking or a wider problem, although I expect the former (don't have enough time to fully research - however I have a significant investment in magi and personally don't feel worried).

In this situation when people mention an 'attack against the network', is not a hack attack, trying to access peoples PC's, it is meaning an attack against the PoW, which tries to exploit weaknesses in the algorithm in order to mine more coins. The biggest security risk to a crypto currency is a 51% attack. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/1/51-attack.asp. With a combined PoW/PoS algorithm Magi is pretty safe against this, but is safer with more miners and stakers.

EDIT: Having the forced PoS/PoW ratio actually makes Magi safer than most coins against a 51% attack
jonathin.r

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 09:32:31 AM

Hi, I'm helping out with most questions on here - but can't easily answer the ones you posted regarding the dev stuff, was hoping somebody else would pick it up, I don't think there hasn't been an acknowledgement of a problem from the dev team until now, personally, I'm not sure if the coin is working as designed and its a case of more people mining than staking or a wider problem, although I expect the former (don't have enough time to fully research - however I have a significant investment in magi and personally don't feel worried).

In this situation when people mention an 'attack against the network', is not a hack attack, trying to access peoples PC's, it is meaning an attack against the PoW, which tries to exploit weaknesses in the algorithm in order to mine more coins. The biggest security risk to a crypto currency is a 51% attack. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/1/51-attack.asp. With a combined PoW/PoS algorithm Magi is pretty safe against this, but is safer with more miners and stakers.

EDIT: Having the forced PoS/PoW ratio actually makes Magi safer than most coins against a 51% attack

I truly appreciate the reply, I really do. I was starting to lose hope that anyone would actually respond, but you proved otherwise. Thank you.

That being said, you mentioned a 51% attack. If an attacker or group of attackers wher to somehow acquire a large sum of XMG and distribute it over, say, 200 wallets and start staking, would that be a way they could execute a 51% attack?

My XMG Address: 9LzxHqsxrRPMCyBffjMc3cLuB5hwEG5Ufq
"Un pour tous, tous pour un" - The Three Musketeers, 1844
starmman
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 10:58:24 AM

I truly appreciate the reply, I really do. I was starting to lose hope that anyone would actually respond, but you proved otherwise. Thank you.

That being said, you mentioned a 51% attack. If an attacker or group of attackers wher to somehow acquire a large sum of XMG and distribute it over, say, 200 wallets and start staking, would that be a way they could execute a 51% attack?
In thoery, Its certainly possible, in practice it would be very difficult and costly, I think if they control more than 50% of the network, they would also need more than 50% hash power - there are also ways to fight against a 50% attack, as mentioned, magi is more secure than most coins as it has additional measures such as the staking/pow split and more than one mining type (PoW/PoS).
Muffinman1

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 06:14:04 PM

This coin is supposed to be for people with modest hardware to mine at some kinda modest profit.
Rewards turned to almost nothing for a long time, now bad actors are taking rewards making mining a charity case.

The response from Magi dev is underwhelming to say the least.
The project goals are not getting done and are a little last generation in terms of their forward thinking nature IMO.

I have mined this coin from the day it announced and traded in my old x11 coins when the time came always mining always holding and staking.
I am currently divested and It was a hard choice I loved mining this coin and staking my balance.

I hope to check back in on this coin and see great developments so I can re invest on a dip.

Joe, get a public relations consultant and keep those miners happy or they will divest like me.
hemidart

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 06:19:14 PM

Orphans are back!
saulscmit

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 06:25:52 PM

Fork the coin else this project is dead. Simple as. It's not an easy decision to make and some people might lose out on it, but they stand to lose everything if this keeps up.

Has anyone been able to traceroute the attacker's IP? If it's a VPN maybe contact them and tell them that their network/service is being abused or call their local serious crime agency. This is theft at the end of the day, and with over $2m market cap it's not a small sum to go missing.
Pages: « 1 ... 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: