Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:15:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 [730] 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312363 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
twistelaar
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 01:43:12 AM

Any thoughts on ETH guys? Just cant get a grip on this BEAST. thanks

How many BTC would you like to have owned for $14?

1000?  10,000?  100,000?  You are not alone.

If I understand you correct you are stating with the above that ETH is a buy and will head to 100$+ ?

And with the above you are saying that because of ETH more money flows in to crypto world and eventually will flow into XMR.

Did I understood correct?

Thanks! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 02:03:34 AM

If I understand you correct you are stating with the above that ETH is a buy and will head to 100$+ ?

And with the above you are saying that because of ETH more money flows in to crypto world and eventually will flow into XMR.

You have the obvious half correct, but in order to earn full marks still need to appreciate and embrace the subtleties of the logos, ethos, and pathos.

Keep digging.  Discorporate and return to the source.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
twistelaar
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:09:20 AM

You have the obvious half correct, but in order to earn full marks still need to appreciate and embrace the subtleties of the logos, ethos, and pathos.

Keep digging.  Discorporate and return to the source.

I understand the Matrix. But still dont know if I have to invest in ETH, could you give advice about this please?  Smiley

Thanks!! Smiley
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 02:13:27 AM

Keep digging.  Discorporate and return to the source.

I understand the Matrix. But still dont know if I have to invest in ETH, could you give advice about this please?  Smiley

Thanks!! Smiley

Honestly, I never knew the point of purchasing ETH either... I mean from what it sounds like to me, ETH is more like Tor or i2p... It's a network, not a currency. At least I don't think... Huh

To me it looks like owning a stock in Microsoft Azure...
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 02:20:55 AM

I understand the Matrix. But still dont know if I have to invest in ETH, could you give advice about this please?

Nobody except The Architect (AKA Grandmaster Szaboshi) and The Oracle (Dr. Backamoto) understands The Matrix.

The only ETH I continuously hold are the ones provided by profitable trades.

Actual Advice Animal: Get into ETH, get out when profitable, let the profit ride.

“Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”
-J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
twistelaar
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:23:39 AM

I understand the Matrix. But still dont know if I have to invest in ETH, could you give advice about this please?

Nobody except The Architect (AKA Grandmaster Szaboshi) and The Oracle (Dr. Backamoto) understands The Matrix.

The only ETH I continuously hold are the ones provided by profitable trades.

Actual Advice Animal: Get into ETH, get out when profitable, let the profit ride.

“Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”
-J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

I guess you are talking about Satoshi Nakamoto..  Grin

Thanks for helping Smiley
bitjedi

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:35:17 AM

So the price of XMR is now 300k Satoshi, marketcap of 12 million. Stll pretty low, for a coin like XMR. x10 easily from here, but in how many time?

I don't know about 10x, but Dash's market cap is approximately 3x ours... which seems absurd that Dash would be more highly valued.  Our GUI release is speculated within a few months, by which time I would expect this discrepancy to be corrected.  Do not trade on my advice, but I personally am expecting $5 Monero by 3rd quarter of 2016.  That seems reasonable, IMHO.

I think the GUI release is expected within 4 weeks or so as it was already funded by the community.  Or am I misinformed?
persiancat

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:36:54 AM

I heard Vitalik has been brushing up on his Chinese. 

As a middle aged man, I don't consider myself able to ever be fluent, but do you guys think that if one wishes to be involved in cryptocurrency they should at least learn some basics? (perhaps merely as a sign of respect, should one visit China eventually).  I picked up some Russian basics over the last ten years, and that was difficult enough - the thought of starting from scratch with a new language is daunting, but life is long... and a native English speaker who could also speak Russian and Chinese would be in a lucrative position, regardless of any other abilities.

I found written Chinese to be endlessly fascinating, and spoken Chinese to be endlessly frustrating, due to tones.  I began study in my 40s.

Let me know if you guys need any pointers in Chinese, I'm a Chinese speaker (but I'm not China Chinese).
bitjedi

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:51:32 AM

As a middle aged man, I don't consider myself able to ever be fluent, but do you guys think that if one wishes to be involved in cryptocurrency they should at least learn some basics? (perhaps merely as a sign of respect, should one visit China eventually).  I picked up some Russian basics over the last ten years, and that was difficult enough - the thought of starting from scratch with a new language is daunting, but life is long... and a native English speaker who could also speak Russian and Chinese would be in a lucrative position, regardless of any other abilities.

I found written Chinese to be endlessly fascinating, and spoken Chinese to be endlessly frustrating, due to tones.  I began study in my 40s.

Let me know if you guys need any pointers in Chinese, I'm a Chinese speaker (but I'm not China Chinese).

Persian Chinese?  Impressive!
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 02:55:58 AM

As a middle aged man, I don't consider myself able to ever be fluent, but do you guys think that if one wishes to be involved in cryptocurrency they should at least learn some basics? (perhaps merely as a sign of respect, should one visit China eventually).  I picked up some Russian basics over the last ten years, and that was difficult enough - the thought of starting from scratch with a new language is daunting, but life is long... and a native English speaker who could also speak Russian and Chinese would be in a lucrative position, regardless of any other abilities.

I found written Chinese to be endlessly fascinating, and spoken Chinese to be endlessly frustrating, due to tones.  I began study in my 40s.

Well if you want to draft a letter to the chinese cryptocurrency exchanges explaining to them the benefits of Monero and why they should offer Monero, and then help on IRC when the exchange ops inevitably end up needing help setting up monero server side..... that would be great!!

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:57:05 AM

So here is a question: why did BCX choose to fuck with XMR?  I remember it all like it was yesterday, but I'm thinking it must have been at least a year ago.

I'm just not plugged in enough to know if he has done anything similar since, but wouldn't one think that BCX vs. ETH is a real possibility with all the dooshiness afoot?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 05:06:37 AM

So here is a question: why did BCX choose to fuck with XMR?  I remember it all like it was yesterday, but I'm thinking it must have been at least a year ago.

I'm just not plugged in enough to know if he has done anything similar since, but wouldn't one think that BCX vs. ETH is a real possibility with all the dooshiness afoot?

BCX also went after LTC. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96186.msg1060442#msg1060442. Here is some history on LTC https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47417.0 Now what do LTC and XMR have in common? They are both solid FLOSS projects with no premine. Now what else do LTC and XMR have in common? Well LTC was forked from Tenebrix and XMR was forked from Bytecoin. For that matter what do Tenebrix, Bytecoin and Ethereum have in common?. Premine. Yes I know that Bytecoin supporters claim is that it is a ninjamine rather than a premine but the evidence does indicate premine. http://https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=740112.0

My theory is that if someone forks Ethereum into a clean FLOSS project with no premine there is a good chance BCX would try to go after the fork. As for BCX going after Ethereum itself it just does not fit the pattern.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 05:09:03 AM

As a middle aged man, I don't consider myself able to ever be fluent, but do you guys think that if one wishes to be involved in cryptocurrency they should at least learn some basics? (perhaps merely as a sign of respect, should one visit China eventually).  I picked up some Russian basics over the last ten years, and that was difficult enough - the thought of starting from scratch with a new language is daunting, but life is long... and a native English speaker who could also speak Russian and Chinese would be in a lucrative position, regardless of any other abilities.

Ĉiuj moneranoj devus lerni Esperanton. Ĝi estas tre facila! Visitu la retejon duolingo.com Wink
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 05:16:26 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2016, 06:16:41 AM by smooth

BCX also went after LTC. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96186.msg1060442#msg1060442. Here is some history on LTC https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47417.0 Now what do LTC and XMR have in common? They are both solid FLOSS projects with no premine. Now what else do LTC and XMR have in common? Well LTC was forked from Tenebrix and XMR was forked from Bytecoin. For that matter what do Tenebrix, Bytecoin and Ethereum have in common?. Premine. Yes I know that Bytecoin supporters claim is that it is a ninjamine rather than a premine but the evidence does indicate premine. http://https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=740112.0

My theory is that if someone forks Ethereum into a clean FLOSS project with no premine there is a good chance BCX would try to go after the fork. As for BCX going after Ethereum itself it just does not fit the pattern.

Interesting theory. Another thing LTC and XMR have in common is quickly eclipsing the original premine coins. This hasn't happened with Ethereum despite there being a few non-premined (I think) forks.

Following the money and asking who has something to gain, a possible answer would be pump groups. Premine coins are easier to pump because the supply is tightly controlled and the mining emissions are reduced. Coins that eclipse a premine coin and draw away community interest destroy a key element of a pump and dump strategy: willing buyers to buy at the top (allowing the pumpers to "dump" their coins).

Hypothesis: BCX is associated with one or more pump groups or hired by them to FUD-attack coins that draw interest away from more readily pumpable premine coins.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 05:45:53 AM

Can someone name *any* non-premine programmable blockchain like Ethereum?  At first I thought Expanse, but they apparently had a premine too.  (Like, wtf were you thinking.  You had a chance to really do something good.)  

So let's do this, fam:  Take Ethereum, slap some cryptographic rings under it (so it has a private blockchain like ours), and relaunch it with no premine, and we'll call that Pegasus.  One and done, and it will have a marketcap far more elaborate than Ethereum's paltry billion.  

How hard can it be to slap complete anonymity & untraceability underneath a Turing complete-decentralized computing resource?  I mean, I suppose I could do it - but I'm really more of an ideas guy.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:00:22 AM

Interesting theory. Another thing LTC and XMR have in common is quickly eclipsing the original premine coins.  This hasn't happened with Ethereum despite there being a few non-premined (I think) forks.

Following the money and asking who has something to gain, a possible answer would be pump groups. Premine coins are easier to pump because the supply is tightly controlled and the mining emissions are reduced. Coins that eclipse a premine coin and draw away community interest destroy a key element of a pump and dump strategy: willing buyers to buy at the top (allowing the pumpers to "dump" their coins).

Hypothesis: BCX is associated with one or more pump groups or hired by them to FUD-attack coins that draw interest away from more readily pumpable premine coins.

That is a brilliant theory @ArticMine and supporting points @smooth.

The key difference with any existing FLOSS fork of Ethereum is that it is going to be wildly incomplete as Ethereum itself is at a nascent stage with active development team and known public figures marketing it out in the open. The development of the platform itself is going to take at least a couple of years before it stabilizes and it isn't going to be very easy for FLOSS projects to just merge upstream code due to stability issues potentially percolating down. And then you need actual apps on top of such a platform to show real usage and meaning. In contrast Tenebrix and Bytecoin were somewhat "complete" coins (not platform) to have a community driven non-premine clone get support from the get go.

It is very disappointing to see notable Bitcoiners support the premine and we are talking some big names here. By this time everyone in the crypto world is well aware of Monero, the big pockets haven't shown that kind of equivalent interest for whatever reasons (they should have).  

The Bytecoin coders and cryptographer could have eventually decided to work with Monero given the community and development around it but we all know that is a tough ask given the animosity that happened over time. I also think they were behind the big attack back in 2014 and not BCX.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:16:49 AM

The key difference with any existing FLOSS fork of Ethereum is that it is going to be wildly incomplete as Ethereum itself is at a nascent stage with active development team and known public figures marketing it out in the open. The development of the platform itself is going to take at least a couple of years before it stabilizes and it isn't going to be very easy for FLOSS projects to just merge upstream code due to stability issues potentially percolating down. And then you need actual apps on top of such a platform to show real usage and meaning. In contrast Tenebrix and Bytecoin were somewhat "complete" coins (not platform) to have a community driven non-premine clone get support from the get go.

It is very disappointing to see notable Bitcoiners support the premine and we are talking some big names here. By this time everyone in the crypto world is well aware of Monero, the big pockets haven't shown that kind of equivalent interest for whatever reasons (they should have).  

The Bytecoin coders and cryptographer could have eventually decided to work with Monero given the community and development around it but we all know that is a tough ask given the animosity that happened over time. I also think they were behind the big attack back in 2014 and not BCX.

As for incompleteness Bytecoin was and is very much far from complete. For starters the lack of a database. One only has to look at the changes that have taken place in Monero and the changes that are in the pipeline and planned for Monero to see this. As to which coin is more incomplete Bytecoin or Ethereum that is a very interesting question. What can happen with an Ethereum fork is in many ways similar to what has occurred with Monero. It starts as a fork but then there is a strong divergence in the codebase as the fork completes the missing parts.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:36:22 AM

As for incompleteness Bytecoin was and is very much far from complete. For starters the lack of a database. One only has to look at the changes that have taken place in Monero and the changes that are in the pipeline and planned for Monero to see this. As to which coin is more incomplete Bytecoin or Ethereum that is a very interesting question. What can happen with an Ethereum fork is in many ways similar to what has occurred with Monero. It starts as a fork but then there is a strong divergence in the codebase as the fork completes the missing parts.

It isn't just the DB development in Monero, it has far more changes and as you said plenty more in the pipeline.

Bytecoin = Unknown, surreptitious team and questionable decisions. -> Easier transition to Monero with now a solid crypto team and various developers.
Ethereum = Limelight hogging faces with viral marketing backed by wealthy Bitcoiners (and allegedly financial institutions). Tough ask for FLOSS to replicate.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:40:49 AM

Promise me the first you hear about such a fork, you will get in contact with me and tell me about it.  I want to be an early adopter and enthusiast for that shit.  That's the kind of talk that gets me excited.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:50:24 AM

It isn't just the DB development in Monero, it has far more changes and as you said plenty more in the pipeline.

Bytecoin = Unknown, surreptitious team and questionable decisions. -> Easier transition to Monero with now a solid crypto team and various developers.
Ethereum = Limelight hogging faces with viral marketing backed by wealthy Bitcoiners (and allegedly financial institutions). Tough ask for FLOSS to replicate.

Time will tell. One big question I see with Ethereum given its market cap and history is FinCEN. I just cannot see this regulator ignoring Ethereum with its premine.

Pages: « 1 ... 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 [730] 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: