Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:55:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 [781] 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312580 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 07:13:40 PM

Double top at ~ 004129, looks like 0043 will be a little bit of a fight.

vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 07:20:28 PM

Is it just my imagination or has the lending market on Polo gone a little bit crazy?

I had some out there at 0.105% that I took off of auto-renew.  Now there are more than 150,000 XMR offered with most of it under 0.1%.  

Not sure exactly what it means.  It might mean that nobody is borrowing to short, or that short positions are being closed.  That could take some of the springiness out of the run up.  I think it's NOT a great sign that there is an abundance of supply on the lending side.  

I suppose it could also mean that there is a ton of expectation for a move up.  Even that seems contra-style bearish to me.

Is there any bright side to an oversupply of lenders?
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 07:29:07 PM

Is it just my imagination or has the lending market on Polo gone a little bit crazy?

I wish the collective free market would decide that a 0.1% rate is the absolute floor for Monero lending.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 07:30:58 PM

I had some out there at 0.105% that I took off of auto-renew.  Now there are more than 150,000 XMR offered with most of it under 0.1%.  

Not sure exactly what it means.  It might mean that nobody is borrowing to short, or that short positions are being closed.  That could take some of the springiness out of the run up.  I think it's NOT a great sign that there is an abundance of supply on the lending side.  

I suppose it could also mean that there is a ton of expectation for a move up.  Even that seems contra-style bearish to me.

Well, the bids are quite high, around 1200 btc. Assuming they are all legitimate bids the dump basically need to be done by a whale (and not a pocket whale but a real Humpback whale https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFa3x13d5Co ).

I do not know about others but I have been succesfully lent all my Moneros. The rates have been dropping due to under cutting each other.
Sure during the consolidation the loans tend to be repaid at least partially and when the price starts to rise, the loans will be taken.... To supply of Moneros at low rates is a sign that there has not been a green candle for a while and some shorts are being closed.
Just a quick reminder, the short at 0.900 % is still open and collecting some serious coins now.
vuduchyld

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 07:38:59 PM

I wish the collective free market would decide that a 0.1% rate is the absolute floor for Monero lending.

Well, I'll say this...what I thought was meant by 0.1% turned out to be far more XMR to my benefit than I was expecting.  If it is 0.1% per day of 1000 XMR, I would have thought that a 2 day loan would have netted me 17 XMR after fees.  I was pretty surprised to be so wrong.

But c'mon, AP, help me figure out what it means!  Why so many willing lenders with no takers?  I think either we rocket up due to no sell side liquidity...or maybe we've reached some kind of consolidation period?
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 07:53:27 PM

In retrospect, whenever I start telling other people about how well I'm doing on X cryptocurrency, that's historically been the best time to sell all and walk away for awhile.

But I really haven't had the urge to do that yet, so I'm not selling anything.  Grin

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:01:00 PM

Well, I'll say this...what I thought was meant by 0.1% turned out to be far more XMR to my benefit than I was expecting.  If it is 0.1% per day of 1000 XMR, I would have thought that a 2 day loan would have netted me 17 XMR after fees.  I was pretty surprised to be so wrong.

But c'mon, AP, help me figure out what it means!  Why so many willing lenders with no takers?  I think either we rocket up due to no sell side liquidity...or maybe we've reached some kind of consolidation period?

0.1% x 2 days x 1000 XMR less 15% fee would be more like 1.7 XMR.   nothing to get too excited about today.
vuduchyld

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:20:06 PM

0.1% x 2 days x 1000 XMR less 15% fee would be more like 1.7 XMR.   nothing to get too excited about today.

Right, I skipped a zero there, but that's what I was expecting, yet I had something like 80 more XMR than what I thought I had on Polo.  Not sure what's up.  Maybe I had an open order for a buy that I'd forgotten about, but that would be really rare. 

I dunno.  I'm tired today.  Brain not working well, and I've been deeply immersed in some spreadsheets for a consulting project I'm doing. 
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:33:02 PM

Right, I skipped a zero there, but that's what I was expecting, yet I had something like 80 more XMR than what I thought I had on Polo.  Not sure what's up.  Maybe I had an open order for a buy that I'd forgotten about, but that would be really rare. 

I dunno.  I'm tired today.  Brain not working well, and I've been deeply immersed in some spreadsheets for a consulting project I'm doing. 

80 more is so much better than 80 fewer.  Just take it and smile Wink
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:36:15 PM

If there are weak hands saying Monero cannot run anymore, it is always possible to borrow Moneros (obviosuly you have sold your coins already and need to borrow now), I am happy to feed your short positions.
The rates are now so low that not many will bother to lend but I can give a few coins for rent.
That been said, over 50 % of my coins are lent at 0.20 % or higher (even the loan with 0.900 % is still collecting interest).

I've gotten to the point where I am too big of a player to play the margin game anymore (at least without not disrupting the markets somewhat), so I am starting to look into other forms of making my money work for me, specifically the other side of the coin: lending.  I say again, I really wish Poloniex allowed people to long other coins with borrowed XMR, but we seem to be getting a steady 0.1%-ish even with the only purpose of Monero lending being to short itself.  

Do you have any advice for a new wannabe lender who wants to stay competitive, but also not get into a bidding war with other lenders?  What should I look for in offering an average loan?  Are 0.1% 2-day loans the norm?  Should I try to swing those low interest loans into higher rate ones once the initial term is up?  Sorry, all this is a bit new to me, but I am learning quickly.

Perhaps you should seek professional advice from a financial advisor.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:39:04 PM

Any idea why lending got so lucrative a few days ago and what conditions might make it so lucrative again?

Greed.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:41:43 PM

If there are weak hands saying Monero cannot run anymore, it is always possible to borrow Moneros (obviosuly you have sold your coins already and need to borrow now), I am happy to feed your short positions.
The rates are now so low that not many will bother to lend but I can give a few coins for rent.
That been said, over 50 % of my coins are lent at 0.20 % or higher (even the loan with 0.900 % is still collecting interest).

I've gotten to the point where I am too big of a player to play the margin game anymore (at least without not disrupting the markets somewhat), so I am starting to look into other forms of making my money work for me, specifically the other side of the coin: lending.  I say again, I really wish Poloniex allowed people to long other coins with borrowed XMR, but we seem to be getting a steady 0.1%-ish even with the only purpose of Monero lending being to short itself.  

Do you have any advice for a new wannabe lender who wants to stay competitive, but also not get into a bidding war with other lenders?  What should I look for in offering an average loan?  Are 0.1% 2-day loans the norm?  Should I try to swing those low interest loans into higher rate ones once the initial term is up?  Sorry, all this is a bit new to me, but I am learning quickly.

Im way small fish and less expert than you, so I don´t have a sound strategie to offer you but... don´t you worry about your moneros not been returned back?. Since I learned that the leans are not 100% guarateed I just reduced this risk to the max... I offer some BTC at extortion rates from time to time, but I sleep better when they are under my control (well... Polo control)

The only issue I have with the whole lending scenario is COUNTER-PARTY-RISK. I guess if you don't believe Polo will ever get hacked or close down. Then you're good.

The other side of the coin is usually what I pay attention to when looking at any exchange or "other party".

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:51:27 PM

The only issue I have with the whole lending scenario is COUNTER-PARTY-RISK. I guess if you don't believe Polo will ever get hacked or close down. Then you're good.

The other side of the coin is usually what I pay attention to when looking at any exchange or "other party".

There is also the risk that the short seller's equity does not cover the closed position is a fast rising market. Take a look at DASH/XMR currently the most liquid of the XMR markets to see what I mean. https://poloniex.com/exchange#xmr_dash

Edit: A Monero short that uses Dash as collateral could get really scary very fast. By the way the reverse, a Dash short that uses Monero as collateral, can also get really scary very fast.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:53:29 PM

There is also the risk that the short seller's equity does not cover the closed position is a fast rising market. Take a look at DASH/XMR currently the most liquid of the XMR markets to see what I mean. https://poloniex.com/exchange#xmr_dash

Yeah. Good point. It still falls under the counter-party-risk category.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:55:15 PM

Yes I got the point - time to readjust the lending rates I guess.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 09:57:06 PM

In retrospect, whenever I start telling other people about how well I'm doing on X cryptocurrency, that's historically been the best time to sell all and walk away for awhile.

But I really haven't had the urge to do that yet, so I'm not selling anything.  Grin

The beauty of Monero is if it goes back down, I get to acquire more cheaply.  The fundamentals are still strong and the next 24 months are critical.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 10:02:27 PM

I tried to ponder all the reasons why I should sell Monero now. Heck, I did not find even one legitimate reason. Even the mere argument "we are now at the peak of 2015" feels pretty weak as the fundamentals are completely different from one year ago. Also the liquidity is on completely other level not to mention the trading volumes.
I could be wrong but I have a feeling Monero will rise quite high.... Anyway I am not even thinking to sell my Moneros because of a simple reason: I have no other use for that money.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 10:07:11 PM

My investments will be worth more by then.

I'd advise to stay rational here, there is a large probability that they will be worth less. Both XMR and BTC have an extremely large drawdown.

But we are already quite low compared to where we will be  Grin Grin
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 10:19:16 PM

My investments will be worth more by then.

I'd advise to stay rational here, there is a large probability that they will be worth less. Both XMR and BTC have an extremely large drawdown.

But we are already quite low compared to where we will be  Grin Grin

Demand is high, and supply has left the building.
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 10:26:57 PM

Who knows... I will say you have to have steel balls to short this. Could be whales offering free XMR to catch shorters, while Polo doesn´t disclose data in BFXdata style we can´t be sure.

I would be nice if the community starts to ask Polo for the data so we can have PoloData kind of site to gain a layer of analisys. Let´s ask it in twitter, facebook, trollboxes and here. If there is enought pressure they will accept
Pages: « 1 ... 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 [781] 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: