Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:44:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 [815] 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Monerobuyer0

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 12:02:48 AM

Where have I repeatedly harassed someone about something that isn't even accurate, and refused to stop even when the issue was done?

Trolls like this guy and a couple others are pure scum. They should have grown up before computers so someone could knock some respect into their punk asses.

LAY OFF PEOPLE. I'm sick of it and I'm just about done with this "community".

I'm sorry that people are picking on you.  I wish everyone here could be nice and get along.

We are all in Monero together guys.  Lets not fight!  We dont want to drive anyone away from our community, and that includes interested people who read the thread and might be turned off by people bashing someone in it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lolikop

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 12:14:05 AM

Did anyone see the 10.000 coins dump ?

All in hands of 12-13 users now instead of just 1 morron

Didn't see it.  Was it on Polo?

could have been a short margin trade

or long closing...

Or Crowdwhale thinking he would buy back at 335.

Nope. I had 12k and sold it off between 366 and 380. Dumping isn't my style.

OMG u do know u could be a millionaire with that amount in 1-3 years and you just decided to sell?

Well like i said before, ur not here for the long term

just make a few dollars profit, only to pay it back right to ur government
CrowdWhale

Activity: 799
Merit: 1000

Twitter: @CrowdWhale

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 12:17:57 AM

Definitely not with halfwit, socially retarded trolls like you infesting the forum.
lolikop

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 12:30:20 AM

I think we need a visit back to 335k before we're going to gather enough strength to continue.

I now understand ur previous reply, why u would like XMR to dump to 335

Well good luck reaching that price level (not that its impossible)

I hope u never buy back but if u do please sell lower
CrowdWhale

Activity: 799

Twitter: @CrowdWhale

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 12:31:17 AM

Nevermind. When a troll repeatedly insults you, you respond, and people have words for YOU instead of THEM there's something very wrong.

Time to short me some XMR and go check out the competition so I can promote something that doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. Keep doing what you're doing, guys. Soon all you'll be left with are morons like Lolikop and wpalczynski.
bitjedi

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 12:35:26 AM

Regardless how much trolls want to troll or whales want to whale, it seems Monero has constant developmental growth and we are just now moving from an experimental to usable phase.  When the GUI is released it will open up the doors for non-technical developers to get into Monero and start actually using it.

On a difficulty scale of 0-10 with 10 being the most difficult.  I would rate Bitcoin a 3 and it took me about 3 months to understand it and 6 months to get my ah-ha moment where I realized it would actually be useful.  Coins like XMR and ETH are in the 7-10 complexity range and you can't just expect anyone to pick it up and start using it right away.  

I've been following XMR since 2014 and only recently have realized the true value of the coin.  In my mind, the value of the development team, fundamental robustness and flexibility of the technology are the strong points compared to other coins.  I wouldn't say XMR has a strong community yet as there has been hardly any marketing to help people understand that the technology exists, but it seems 2016 will be the year that starts to change.

Everyone investing in XMR now is doing it as pure speculation because they either believe in the goals of the project or think they can make a quick buck.  Either way, we are all here together and we should try to keep it civil between us.  Most likely, we are all social outcasts and nerds anyway so lets leave that stuff IRL and escape to our dreams of crypto millions online together.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 12:35:41 AM

Nevermind. When a troll repeatedly insults you, you respond, and people have words for YOU instead of THEM there's something very wrong.

Time to short me some XMR and go check out the competition so I can promote something that doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. Keep doing what you're doing, guys. Soon all you'll be left with are morons like Lolikop and wpalczynski.

Why not exercise the ignore button for those you don't care to read.  Without it, I would quit this forum.  With sigs turned off, and a huge ignore list, its not so bad.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2016, 12:56:14 AM

Why not exercise the ignore button for those you don't care to read.  Without it, I would quit this forum.  With sigs turned off, and a huge ignore list, its not so bad.

I got ignores going and you can disable the avatars. I need the sig to check my sig Smiley

I speculate bananas.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 01:28:07 AM

Where have I repeatedly harassed someone about something that isn't even accurate, and refused to stop even when the issue was done?

Trolls like this guy and a couple others are pure scum. They should have grown up before computers so someone could knock some respect into their punk asses.

LAY OFF PEOPLE. I'm sick of it and I'm just about done with this "community".

I'm sorry that people are picking on you.  I wish everyone here could be nice and get along.

We are all in Monero together guys.  Lets not fight!  We dont want to drive anyone away from our community, and that includes interested people who read the thread and might be turned off by people bashing someone in it.

+1, we should put the ad hominems aside and stick to a more qualitative discussion. I'd also like to see statements, whether bearish or bullish, backed up by analysis/arguments, may that be fundamental analysis, technical analysis or a mix of both. Ad hominems are simply childish and will make this thread look silly to readers and/or outsiders.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 03:29:36 AM

I guess we can nominate wpalczynski our prophet as his predictions about you whining came true.  Grin Nice show man! I do not know what your aspirations are but I am not the one selling at these price points.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 03:37:21 AM

I presume XMR's mining is more decentralized since there is yet no ASIC and afaik it is as CPU friendly as GPU in terms hashes per Watt. Given that 65% of Bitcoin's mining is run through Chinese mining pools and within that perhaps a large portion of the hashrate is centralized amongst ASIC mining farms, I assume Bitcoin's market float is more manipulated than Monero's.

Does that make sense? Is Monero the most free market crypto currency right now?

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:03:59 AM

I presume XMR's mining is more decentralized since there is yet no ASIC and afaik it is as CPU friendly as GPU in terms hashes per Watt. Given that 65% of Bitcoin's mining is run through Chinese mining pools and within that perhaps a large portion of the hashrate is centralized amongst ASIC mining farms, I assume Bitcoin's market float is more manipulated than Monero's.

How "decentralized" the mining actually is would be hard to know. There are certainly some big miners, but they don't seem to shut out small timers. We can only infer much of it from indirect indicators such as newcomers who join the community and mine. Old timers probably mine some too, even if if not professional miners. I don't mine much any more but I have a computer or two I leave going. Mostly this doesn't happen with Bitcoin although some old timers do run semi-obsolete ASICs at a loss on principle (though mine are fully shut down). This gives the whole Monero mining scene a very long-tail feel to it.

Botnets exist but claims of rampant massive botnets have always been doubtful to me, and I worked out some numbers in a recent post on this thread that supported reasonably strongly that it is unlikely. Small botnets (putting aside ethical issues of botting) add to decentralization.

It is a plausible claim. It is certainly true that almost anyone can mine, at worst at a small loss, and in many cases at a small profit. When at a loss, the loss is generally small enough in absolute terms that suggesting people just mine if they support the coin and want it to succeed is not absurd, and some actually do it. The proposed idea of "egalitarian mining" from the white paper seems to have held up reasonable well after two years.

persiancat

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:07:20 AM

I have condensed 822 pages of angst into one easy-to-read post.

Current and Future Developments That Will Shape XMR's Future

GUI wallet becomes available
Current Likelihood : 99%
Projected Timeframe : 12 months
Impact on XMR : Bullish

XMR devteam completes all Development Goals and Research Goals
Current Likelihood : 80%
Projected Timeframe : Unknown

XMR available for trading on major Chinese exchanges
Current Likelihood : 25%
Projected Timeframe : 36 months
Impact on XMR : Very Bullish

Major Online Retailers Accept XMR for Purchases
Current Likelihood : 5%
Projected Timeframe : 60 months

XMR reported by Mainstream Media
Projected Timeframe : 60 months

New Cryptonote-based coin developed which is technologically superior to XMR in all aspects
Current Likelihood : 10%
Projected Timeframe : Anytime
Impact on XMR : Bearish

Quantum computing fully matures, defeats all known safe elliptic curves
Projected Timeframe : 30 years
Impact on XMR : Very bearish

XMR slides into oblivion despite significant efforts in technological innovation and marketing
Current Likelihood : 33%
Projected Timeframe : 5 years
Impact on XMR : Existential Problem

More to come ...

All numbers above are derived from reading "Dragon Well" tea-leaves. YMMV. IANAP ("I Am Not A Programmer").
This does not constitute trading advice and has not been vetted for accuracy.
Please consult your friendly* relationship manager at GS/JPM/UBS before making any financial decisions.

* - only when you wave money in front of them
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:07:29 AM

I guess we can nominate wpalczynski our prophet as his predictions about you whining came true.  Grin Nice show man! I do not know what your aspirations are but I am not the one selling at these price points.

Let's cut out the personal attacks and sniping and stay on topic. The moderation rules of the thread (and also, though not as enforced, the forum rules) do not allow hostile trolling.

This is directed to no one individual in particular
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:08:43 AM

If it weren't for a plethora of scam coins fooling newbies/newcomers and even guys with 2-3 year experience in cryptos, XMR would have had enjoyed lofty high valuations even now. It's a shame that money is always tied up chasing bad decisions and investments, crypto or otherwise.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:19:30 AM

It is a plausible claim. It is certainly true that almost anyone can mine, at worst at a small loss, and in many cases at a small profit. When at a loss, the loss is generally small enough in absolute terms that suggesting people just mine if they support the coin and want it to succeed is not absurd, and some actually do it. The proposed idea of "egalitarian mining" from the white paper seems to have held up reasonable well after two years.

It is a loss when you obtain your coins anonymously without needing to exchange through fiat? That is probably worth something extra to some people, especially for an anonymous coin's target market.

Let's say you want crypto-currency in Venezuela or Russia where it is currently afaik illegal and the Gestapo may be monitoring you. And then the coming capital controls in the West probably 2018.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:21:03 AM

It is a loss when you obtain your coins anonymously without needing to exchange through fiat? That is probably worth something extra to some people.

Maybe not. Only really useful for small timers if you only need a small amount of coins though. I do think that some newcomers do this to obtain coins in order to be able to experiment, making it a nice onboarding tool (and then they may bother with exchanges if they want to obtain larger amounts later). For larger amounts it is impractical as you would need to become a semi-pro miner to mine enough.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:24:18 AM

It is a loss when you obtain your coins anonymously without needing to exchange through fiat? That is probably worth something extra to some people.

Maybe not. Only really useful for small timers if you only need a small amount of coins though. I do think that some newcomers do this to obtain coins in order to be able to experiment, making it a nice onboarding tool (and then they may bother with exchanges if they want to obtain larger amounts later). For larger amounts it is impractical as you would need to become a semi-pro miner to mine enough.

Why would being semi-pro diminish your ability to be anonymous? Because you need access to cheap electricity at-scale? Micro-hydropower could probably provide that if you are willing to amortize the fixed cost investment over a period of years and could lease the access from a rural landowner. Not saying though that anyone has that level of motivation to be mine anonymously at-scale.

I think you are correct it is the permissionless quick entry for small timers that is most compelling.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:30:25 AM

If it weren't for a plethora of scam coins fooling newbies/newcomers and even guys with 2-3 year experience in cryptos, XMR would have had enjoyed lofty high valuations even now. It's a shame that money is always tied up chasing bad decisions and investments, crypto or otherwise.

What I don't understand is where are all the people who lost money on P&Ds? Why do we never hear from them?

The problem right now is I only read in this Altcoin Discussion forum about how excited people are about having bought some altcoins low and selling them for multi-baggers. I don't ever hear from the people who lost money. Where are they? Where did they go?

Without the sordid stories from the losers, everyone thinks it is silly to not try to get rich quick.

bitjedi

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 04:30:30 AM

It is a loss when you obtain your coins anonymously without needing to exchange through fiat? That is probably worth something extra to some people, especially for an anonymous coin's target market.

Let's say you want crypto-currency in Venezuela or Russia where it is currently afaik illegal and the Gestapo may be monitoring you. And then the coming capital controls in the West probably 2018.

I find it surprising we haven't seen any crypto funded Venezuelan e-sports teams which also mine coins for profit.
Pages: « 1 ... 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 [815] 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: