Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:09:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312387 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 07:39:07 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2016, 09:00:47 PM by smooth

Bitcoin is not going anywhere man. In terms of network effect ...see below...  it trumps all other alts

Yes

...from above... and security

I dispute this, or at least dispute the magnitude of leadership at a minimum (it may still be more secure than any alt, but it just very hard to assess). Highly centralized mining isn't all that secure. Hash rate (i.e. energy burn) doesn't tell the whole story.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 07:49:18 PM

Quantum computing is marching on too. Its all technology based so some truly significant change in technology standards could definitely also have an unknown effect.

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 07:55:43 PM

About miners dumping.  The current daily emission is a bit over 7700/day.  Almost every 15 min candle is way above that.  During this last dump there was a 15min red candle of just under 200K and during the rise before it there were 2 green candles of >200K.  Ofc having a higher % of mined coins being sold quickly will have some affect but I just don't think it's all that much.  The other way to look at it is how many new coins/day does the market want?  Does the addition of maybe 2K/day to be sold make much of a difference in the market now?

I started mining again with my super computer about 6 weeks ago because I smelled something in the air.  At 35H/s I currently own 0.0001% of the network HR and have accrued 0.3 Monero.  Doesn't sound like much but with this I have doubled my holdings.

That's nothing on my mining operation.  I'm pulling a steady 8 H/s, with sometimes spikes up into the teens!  So far it hasn't returned anything, and that's after months and months.  I think it's just too powerful, and the blocks I mine just vaporize or something.

Current network rate of 37.94 MH/s  OMFG.  its about time.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 08:15:01 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2016, 08:39:41 PM by aminorex

You must factor in that some of the larger BTC Whales are XMR Whales too.

And for those who are not, the hour is getting late.  Soon it will not be possible to become a Monero whale.  The club doors are already beginning to swing shut.

Whats a whale to aminorex? In the long term not just today.

If you want to enter or leave the liquidity pool with more than 5% of the daily churn, you're going to make a whale-sized wave of one sort or another.   In BTC today that is ~10k. So, in the 2-3 year span beyond which I do not like to make quantitative predictions, that would seem a good benchmark for the Monero whale.  I don't think XMRBTC parity will happen by then, but close-ish, maybe half.  And the crypto market volume will be roughly evenly divided.

Who might reasonably want to move $5mm in a single day?  Someone buying a nice retirement villa, or investing in private equity -- or a company funding off-shore operations or making a capital equipment purchase.  Probably no less than 20mm usd net worth...more like 100mm.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 08:28:21 PM

Joe Six-Pack

Joe does not set the price. This is not a unit-per-head market like iPhones.  The LBMA sets the price of gold, not Indian wedding planners.  The bulk transactors, the whales, will determine the price of Monero... up until the point where it has a local currency monopoly, dominant reserve status, and the standard of accounting.  Inside of a local currency monopoly, the size of the economy and the money supply will determine the value.  Joe just eats what is put in front of him.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 08:35:14 PM

... with this I have doubled my holdings.
Just keep doubling.

BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 08:59:00 PM

I've seen a handful of people mentioning the possibility of XMR overtaking BTC. Is this just XMR fever talking, or is there some rational basis for this argument?

I see the odds of XMR overtaking BTC being close to nil. That said, I believe there's a high probability it could be a strong 2nd, overtaking LTC as BTC's "silver".

Either XMR fails catastrophically, or it surpasses BTC by a large margin: The use-cases and scalability of XMR cover a much wider range than BTC; most actors suffer for having their private financial details published indiscriminately.

It is only the limitations of bounded rationality and human linear thinking which assign intermediate outcomes the bulk of the probability mass.  The underlying fundamentals push the actual mass out to the tails.
Aminorex thank you for your inputs, they are very valuable, I always consider with attention what you say.

Regarding the possibility XMR can surpass BTC, don't you think the superior network effect (security, marketability, brand recognition) of BTC will prevent that? It's not always the best which wins.

Also isn't monero scability worse than BTC (ie. more data per transaction to process)? (I know Monero has an adaptative blocksize but that doesn't solve the centralization of nodes problem).
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 09:00:55 PM

I've seen a handful of people mentioning the possibility of XMR overtaking BTC. Is this just XMR fever talking, or is there some rational basis for this argument?

I see the odds of XMR overtaking BTC being close to nil. That said, I believe there's a high probability it could be a strong 2nd, overtaking LTC as BTC's "silver".

I'm certainly not going to say it will. But I will say there is a rational reason to expect that it might.

Bitcoin was supposed to be digital e-cash. Cash has to be fungible. So bitcoin has failed to meet that expectation. It is a digital asset. It is not digital cash. Monero is the best fungible digital e-cash contender out there right now. The day people start to worry about whether the funds they are being paid in are tainted. The day they start start to feel that sense of creeping dread that maybe that 20 grand they just accepted as payment for their car could be worthless. That is the day they switch to XMR in mass. Unless bitcoin manages to overcome the politics that are burdening it and find a solution to this problem. Which it might.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 09:05:05 PM

I'm certainly not going to say it will. But I will say there is a rational reason to expect that it might.

Bitcoin was supposed to be digital e-cash. Cash has to be fungible. Monero is the best fungible digital e-cash contender out there right now. The day people start to worry about whether the funds they are being paid in are tainted. They start to feel that sense of creeping dread that maybe that 20 grand they just accepted as payment for their car could be worthless. That is the day they switch to XMR in mass. Unless bitcoin manages to overcome the politics that are burdening it and find a solution to this problem. Which they might.
Won't confidential transaction solve the problem of fungibility of bitcoins?

No unlinkability and untracability. It improves privacy at the individual transaction level if and when it is ever deployed, but coin histories, tracking, and taint remain.

To put it another way, Monero is adding CT to what we already have (with RingCT), we are not replacing what we already have with CT. That would be a step backward.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 09:06:53 PM

Bitcoin was supposed to be digital e-cash. Cash has to be fungible. Monero is the best fungible digital e-cash contender out there right now. The day people start to worry about whether the funds they are being paid in are tainted. They start to feel that sense of creeping dread that maybe that 20 grand they just accepted as payment for their car could be worthless. That is the day they switch to XMR in mass. Unless bitcoin manages to overcome the politics that are burdening it and find a solution to this problem. Which they might.
Won't confidential transaction solve the problem of fungibility of bitcoins?

Right now that proposal is for a soft fork and it is essentially a hack. Consequently confidential transactions will consume far too many resources to be practical. A hard fork could solve this. But then there's that politics I mentioned. A hard fork is extremely political when it comes to bitcoin.

*edit* also what smooth said. thanks smooth.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 09:34:41 PM

Hash rate closing in on 40 million.
magico

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 09:58:53 PM

So it's only CPU and GPU mining right now. How many months/years until ASICs?
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 10:09:15 PM

Astounding. Everyone switching from ETH to XMR?

I always read it was "Asic-resistant", however IDK what that really means. I mean, couldn't someone develop an ASIC for cryptonote? Is anyone trying?

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
CTTE

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 10:17:01 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2016, 10:34:40 PM by CTTE

Finally a decent 15 minute bar on polo! I've been waiting several hours for this, can't say it's a breakout but it's the first real 15 minute volume for quite awhile at 2346 btc.

Edit: actually 2 in a row... both Green and the second volume at 2538 btc! Nice start!
magico

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 10:39:11 PM

Astounding. Everyone switching from ETH to XMR?

It seems to be true. But we need couple or several days to proove it (IMO).

I always read it was "Asic-resistant", however IDK what that really means. I mean, couldn't someone develop an ASIC for cryptonote? Is anyone trying?

If I recall correctly from old video (or audio) with Fluffypony it is possible to make an ASIC for CN. Please correct me if I wrong.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 10:56:49 PM

If I recall correctly from old video (or audio) with Fluffypony it is possible to make an ASIC for CN. Please correct me if I wrong.

What it is is that ASICs don't have a big advantage over GPUs and GPUs don't have a big advantage over CPUs.  When the price gets high enough the small advantage might make it financially feasible to design and manufacture ASICs.  I certainly don't have the knowledge to analyze this.
magico

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 11:11:45 PM

What it is is that ASICs don't have a big advantage over GPUs and GPUs don't have a big advantage over CPUs.  When the price gets high enough the small advantage might make it financially feasible to design and manufacture ASICs.  I certainly don't have the knowledge to analyze this.

Yes. But I think that ASIC will be a bit cheaper than GPU rig (as GPU rig slightly cheaper than CPU. I mean KH per $).
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 11:38:33 PM

Yes. But I think that ASIC will be a bit cheaper than GPU rig (as GPU rig slightly cheaper than CPU. I mean KH per $).

I would hope so. It's really expensive and probably a loss to even try and build a new GPU rig for cryptonote right now, right?

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
magico

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 12:11:07 AM

I would hope so. It's really expensive and probably a loss to even try and build a new GPU rig for cryptonote right now, right?

Not really. I don't know how about now (my couple of rigs are from 2014) but rig profitability mostly depends on electricity costs.
Higher hashrate means higher difficulty means lower XMR profit but with high hashrate we gain high security and therefore higher XMR value. So only electricity cost matters.
alphahacktivist

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 01:01:43 AM

I generally agree with you. I have said from the beginning that it could be useful to have both a transparent blockchain and this sort of obscured blockchain running side-by-side. Yes there are ways that either coin could fill the shoes of the other but I don't think that is going to happen. I think Monero will be used primarily for wealth storage and private transactions and Bitcoin will be used primarily for transparent transactions and as an open blockchain. One difference between Monero and Litecoin though. Monero is not designed to be cheap. So I could see Moneros top price being a much greater fraction of bitcoin's price and litecoin could ever be. If I'm drunk enough I can even imagine scenarios in which  Monero is more valuable than Bitcoin per unit . In this case it wouldn't be Bitcoin silver  it would be Bitcoins Platinum. But as to it replacing Bitcoin? There's a lot of reasons that that seems silly to me.

+1
Pages: « 1 ... 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: