Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:06:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312447 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 01:33:47 AM

Hash rate closing in on 40 million.

Astounding. Everyone switching from ETH to XMR?

Hash rate closing in on 40 million.

So it's only CPU and GPU mining right now. How many months/years until ASICs?

I always read it was "Asic-resistant", however IDK what that really means. I mean, couldn't someone develop an ASIC for cryptonote? Is anyone trying?

Of course. You cant resist that entirely. In a perfect world though (and i imagine an omniscient being could theoretically do this) you could design a hashing algorithm where a desktop pc WAS its asic. Of course we are mortals and no one can reverse engineer like that but cryptonight is an attempt to get as close to that as possible. A cryptonight asic would conspicuously resemble a consumer pc in many ways.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4920

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 01:42:44 AM

AES-NI is Intel®

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 01:54:18 AM

AES-NI is Intel®

Many AMD CPUs have AES-NI now, often faster than comparable Intel CPUs.

The main thing that makes it hard to do with an ASIC is irregularly accessing a relatively large amount of memory.  A large enough die at a fine enough process will eventually make it feasible to produce an ASIC with a scratchpad large enough for cryptonight.

By that time, quantum will be the bigger issue, methinks.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:12:23 AM

AES-NI is Intel®

The main thing that makes it hard to do with an ASIC is irregularly accessing a relatively large amount of memory.  A large enough die at a fine enough process will eventually make it feasible to produce an ASIC with a scratchpad large enough for cryptonight.

The copywrite is my point. that is a massive barrier to legal ASIC development.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Trade_BTC

Activity: 785
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:16:12 AM

Am I the only one who thinks buying a coin that is still 10x what it was 20 days ago is ludicrous? Apparently so by today's pump debacle.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:16:17 AM

...don't you think the superior network effect (security, marketability, brand recognition) of BTC will prevent that? It's not always the best which wins.

Also isn't monero scability worse than BTC (ie. more data per transaction to process)? (I know Monero has an adaptative blocksize but that doesn't solve the centralization of nodes problem).

The larger transactions are a constant factor.  Constant factors disappear with hardware tech generations. The real scalability bottleneck in bitcoin is political.  Monero doesn't have that problem yet.

Bitcoin absolutely has a huge lead in social capital, and it remains to be seen that Monero can match it.  I think, however, that financial value and the promise of growth motivated the development of that capital.  Monero seems to have more upside potential now, which may cause a hyper-speed catch-up in social capital.  Time will tell.  I certainly can't put intervals around my guesses on that point right now, so they seem pretty worthless, predictively.

Another point: Old school bitcoin enthusiasts have been easy to sell on Monero from the start, and it is not so easy to ignore among the scamcoin hordes any longer, so I expect a lot of them to get on the bandwagon in the coming 6 months or so. They will bring their network and social capital with them.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:17:57 AM

AES-NI is Intel®

No.  The math is not patentable, and no ASIC would use Intel IP for AES.  It would implement AES differently.

aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:19:04 AM

Am I the only one who thinks buying a coin that is still 10x what it was 20 days ago is ludicrous? Apparently so by today's pump debacle.

It is ludicrous.  I am also buying here, but not very much.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:21:23 AM

Also isn't monero scability worse than BTC (ie. more data per transaction to process)? (I know Monero has an adaptative blocksize but that doesn't solve the centralization of nodes problem).

The difference is modest, now that people have adapted to using Monero efficiently (not sending payments with lots of unnecessary decimal places for example). Go look right now. Many real transactions using ring signatures (now required) on the live network are <1 KB. Some are larger of course. Median block size last 800 blocks 3500 bytes, average transactions per block 3.5. Average tx size after subtracting block headers is <1 KB.

The bigger increase in transactions size will come with the (pruneable) range proofs of RingCT. The same issue would affect BTC if it added CT and if not then achieving any kind of privacy (though not as good) requires engaging in mixing, chained coinjoins, etc. which reintroduce the size penalty in the form of more transactions.

There is no free lunch.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1968

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:25:54 AM

Same here, just bought .1 btc. long term fanatic. lol.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:30:34 AM

Buying opportunity for me.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:31:44 AM

AES-NI is Intel®

No.  The math is not patentable, and no ASIC would use Intel IP for AES.  It would implement AES differently.

AES-NI is the most efficient method of solving cryptonote, without it any ASIC will not perform well enough to make it practical. Thanks for letting me know math is not patentable, I was really worried for a moment.

Trade_BTC

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:32:15 AM

Monero is nice but 0.01 is a bit more reasonable current price would be pure labor to maintain. Hopefully the fomo hype calms down a bit and the lambs don't get too slaughtered.
nanobrain
Legendary

Dumb broad

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:39:15 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2016, 03:07:52 AM by nanobrain

It is ludicrous.  I am also buying here, but not very much.

Monero is nice but 0.01 is a bit more reasonable current price would be pure labor to maintain. Hopefully the fomo hype calms down a bit and the lambs don't get too slaughtered.

FOMO hype hasn't really begun yet, announcements on XMR adoption coming through on a regular basis (beyond the DNMs), GUI wallet ("soon"), large investors have clearly moved in (larger ones to follow). [EDIT] I forgot: other exchanges, envious of polos massive XMR volume, will adopt XMR adding both availability and coverage.

Don't confuse this with some fly by night coin -- XMR has been around and done the hard yards (I first bought in two years back and suffered a few times).  It's all about perspective: you probably consider a $32 BTC very cheap but five years ago it was a "ludicrous" price.

owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1968

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:42:18 AM

FOMO hype hasn't really begun yet, announcements on XMR adoption coming through on a regular basis (beyond the DNMs), GUI wallet ("soon"), large investors have clearly moved in (larger ones to follow).

Don't confuse this with some fly by night coin -- XMR has been around and done the hard yards (I first bought in two years back and suffered a few times).  It's all about perspective: you probably consider a $32 BTC very cheap but five years ago it was a "ludicrous" price.

THIS is why I will never sell my XMR for a long while! Well put mate! Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:44:58 AM

This is the most bullish event since that other bullish event: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg16147288#msg16147288

That's been for sale for ever. Someone bought it.  Cheesy
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:50:53 AM

Another point: Old school bitcoin enthusiasts have been easy to sell on Monero from the start, and it is not so easy to ignore among the scamcoin hordes any longer, so I expect a lot of them to get on the bandwagon in the coming 6 months or so. They will bring their network and social capital with them.

^^That^^

It is a difficult paradigm shift for the masses still. There have been zero assets to compare with Monero, so it makes it that much more difficult. I got into BTC when I read the whitepaper, a membership and knowledge about this forum came much later unfortunately otherwise I would have been a bit more financially successful (rocket had left the station) and I was just left admiring the math.

When the CryptoNote whitepaper came out, I knew what was in store. I also pleaded with @thankful_for_today to make changes initially, both in forum and in IRC but that was one headstrong dude. I miss @tacotime's presence these days. We were both OPs in the initial IRC channel that we later surrendered to the current team. Good times.  Smiley

I bet the CN team are all pleased with the hard work and continued research publications that come out from the current team regardless of the external animosity at times. The cryptography is top notch math.

Even Ethereum has published a lot of good papers. But there is no way that a model of distribution like that will see long term success. It has to be meaningful blood and sweat with respect to mining and verification for it to make sense and it is going to take a while for everyone to get off that train. This is also a big short coming and narrow sightedness of zcash. Awesome math, bad model. They will be flipped for Bitcoins and that is where it will end. XMR is going to be the real wealth.
Trade_BTC

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 03:02:44 AM

^^That^^

It is a difficult paradigm shift for the masses still. There have been zero assets to compare with Monero, so it makes it that much more difficult. I got into BTC when I read the whitepaper, a membership and knowledge about this forum came much later unfortunately otherwise I would have been a bit more financially successful (rocket had left the station) and I was just left admiring the math.

When the CryptoNote whitepaper came out, I knew what was in store. I also pleaded with @thankful_for_today to make changes initially, both in forum and in IRC but that was one headstrong dude. I miss @tacotime's presence these days. We were both OPs in the initial IRC channel that we later surrendered to the current team. Good times.  Smiley

I bet the CN team are all pleased with the hard work and continued research publications that come out from the current team regardless of the external animosity at times. The cryptography is top notch math.

Even Ethereum has published a lot of good papers. But there is no way that a model of distribution like that will see long term success. It has to be meaningful blood and sweat with respect to mining and verification for it to make sense and it is going to take a while for everyone to get off that train. This is also a big short coming and narrow sightedness of zcash. Awesome math, bad model. They will be flipped for Bitcoins and that is where it will end. XMR is going to be the real wealth.

I agree with the fundamental of xmr but pumps like these in succession will not end up attracting users in the end.
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 03:09:56 AM

^^That^^

I agree with the fundamental of xmr but pumps like these in succession will not end up attracting users in the end.

I disagree. XMR at $30-$50 will see far more "investments" ( compared to the current prices) from the network we are talking about here. They won't see it at the moment, and won't let their network see it (scamcoiners that is). Currently the ones who are getting in know exactly what is going on and what is in store for the future. They are not going to make a splash about it. Roger Ver seems to be an exception to this, and I very much doubt his authenticity as well given that this is a potential conflict of interest. He may be genuinely diversifying but hard to say.
nanobrain
Legendary

Dumb broad

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 03:17:31 AM

We all bow to your experience.

Pages: « 1 ... 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: