Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:49:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312583 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 03:49:42 PM

It is not funny at all to see how many Moneros you can buy with $1000. And number will only decrease. Since good news are coming out almost more then weekly.  
Soon only rich people will be able to afford to buy 1000 Moneros.  We the poor will be happy o buy few Moneros a month.
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2790

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 03:53:05 PM

Sold some more moneros...

Good move TC, you are a first class trader.  Cheesy

This. Now seems like a terrible time to sell, with so much short term upside potential.

There is always upside potential and bitcoin seemed a few weeks ago it will shoot straight to 2000 usd or so.
If you have bought your stash on average under 0.003 so the current price seems nice place to sell so many. Funny thing is to notice how many bitcoins you can get even with even like 10-20 XMR which used to cost like 0.02-0.03 just months ago...

In retrospect, I was overly negative by saying "terrible time to sell". It's actually not a bad time to lock in some profits, with so much uncertainty going on.

I'm of the opinion that money will continue flowing into altcoins, as bitcoin's fate looks increasingly uncertain. The money will be smarter and more selective - going to "safe" altcoins, that could possibly even replace bitcoin. This includes ETH, LTC, XMR, and maybe a few other promising, but less established alts.
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 07:34:21 PM

Good move TC, you are a first class trader.  Cheesy

I am actually a horrible trader and the bagholding started to hurt me too much since I had way too many Moneros in my portfolio compared with other assets so I need to diversify. 
I have no idea what to do with the money though...  Undecided No need for it so I just put the bitcoins to the lending markets earning hefty 0.1-0.2 % daily interest until Dark coin settles down and probably will buy it next....
Please, do not worry - I still have Moneros for sale at higher price so please go and get them while they still are available.  Shocked

Do you do your lending on Poloniex?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:45:11 PM

Good move TC, you are a first class trader.  Cheesy

I am actually a horrible trader and the bagholding started to hurt me too much since I had way too many Moneros in my portfolio compared with other assets so I need to diversify. 
I have no idea what to do with the money though...  Undecided No need for it so I just put the bitcoins to the lending markets earning hefty 0.1-0.2 % daily interest until Dark coin settles down and probably will buy it next....
Please, do not worry - I still have Moneros for sale at higher price so please go and get them while they still are available.  Shocked

Do you do your lending on Poloniex?

Yes I do.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:50:33 PM

Well, we might just be heading for our ATH.

Against Bitcoin of course, which is helping by spiraling down in the midst of its stupid civil war.

I would much rather we were a few points off our dollar ATH...

As for cashing out - sure, well done if you did....

But what into?  Bitcoin?

Ha!

我想要火箭和火车
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:25:51 PM

Against Bitcoin of course, which is helping by spiraling down in the midst of its stupid civil war.

But what into?  Bitcoin?

Ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfswfOe9Pro
ultegra

Activity: 40
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:27:28 PM

After buying my first monero in 2014 thanks to people like Risto & Aminorex i have kept a fairly constant 75%/25% xmr/btc ratio in my portfolio since. Recently have now gone 90% xmr 5% eth and 5% btc. Although have traded some xmr along the way to increase my stash have never been tempted to sell any for fiat and have never lost the faith. XMR devs are rock solid guys, will not find a more honest group amongst any other crypto.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5028

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 10:26:32 PM

But what into?  Bitcoin?

Ha!

I'd say most investors only really care about their local currency so for me it is XMR/USD pair that I care about. But I'm just taking a guess here, I hope people are not move to BTC lol I don't think that will make sense till after all this split shit gets cleared up. Anyone want to try to call the low on BTC before everything gets straightened out and it climbs again? I'm gonna guess it hits low $500's before a stable uptrend starts again. After October maybe?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 10:43:57 PM

I'm gonna guess it hits low $500's before a stable uptrend starts again. After October maybe?

Geez, you really think it'll stretch out *that* much longer and *that* far down?

I hope not, but you may be right.  That'd suck donkey balls.

My hunch is one way or another it'll be sorted out by no later than maybe early-mid summer (?)

And hopefully we won't see less than, oh, I dunno, let's say $777 just for fun   Grin

Gentlemen, place yer bets place yer bets... LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 10:53:54 PM

But what into?  Bitcoin?

Ha!

I'd say most investors only really care about their local currency so for me it is XMR/USD pair that I care about. But I'm just taking a guess here, I hope people are not move to BTC lol I don't think that will make sense till after all this split shit gets cleared up. Anyone want to try to call the low on BTC before everything gets straightened out and it climbs again? I'm gonna guess it hits low $500's before a stable uptrend starts again. After October maybe?

That is what screws the whole market up.  Most people (realistically) sell XMR into BTC to cash in.  It was certainly my 'normal' route.  XMR to BTC on Polo - BTC to Stamp and sold / transferred to my (European) bank.

Most people on Polo think of XMR in terms of BTC, it's not a USD /BTC trade.  You are far more sensibly watching the USD price - even though it's the only pair that makes real sense if you think about it.  But Polo is our biggest trading market, and the trade is XMR /BTC.

Right now BTC looks increasingly a risky route out - look at it, it's tanking.  Into the 800s over the weekend looks possible, even likely.

The BTC civil war is bad for all crypto.  Something better give soon.

If only I could spend Monero directly on goods and services I want, it would not matter (sigh).    Right now I am re-focusing how I think about all my crypto.  If BTC is toxic, I need to.

我想要火箭和火车
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5028

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:32:34 AM

But what into?  Bitcoin?

Ha!

That is what screws the whole market up.  Most people (realistically) sell XMR into BTC to cash in.  It was certainly my 'normal' route.  XMR to BTC on Polo - BTC to Stamp and sold / transferred to my (European) bank.

Most people on Polo think of XMR in terms of BTC, it's not a USD /BTC trade.  You are far more sensibly watching the USD price - even though it's the only pair that makes real sense if you think about it.  But Polo is our biggest trading market, and the trade is XMR /BTC.

Right now BTC looks increasingly a risky route out - look at it, it's tanking.  Into the 800s over the weekend looks possible, even likely.

The BTC civil war is bad for all crypto.  Something better give soon.

If only I could spend Monero directly on goods and services I want, it would not matter (sigh).    Right now I am re-focusing how I think about all my crypto.  If BTC is toxic, I need to.

I hear ya, I lost like 10% while waiting on coinbase to confirm. !#$@$!@$ --$  Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Biro Bob

Activity: 308
Merit: 146

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 05:27:15 AM

i'm not going to sell any XMR although I am going to get my bot to buy and sell more using a more agressive balance.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 06:53:29 AM

It's been remarkably quiet in here lately, given the price action.  Everyone glued to BTC drama?
Biro Bob

Activity: 308
Merit: 146

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 07:07:22 AM

It's been remarkably quiet in here lately, given the price action.  Everyone glued to BTC drama?
I'm very glad I diversified into alts in 2014, otherwise I'd be very uncomfortable right now.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 09:19:30 AM

It's been remarkably quiet in here lately, given the price action.  Everyone glued to BTC drama?
I'm very glad I diversified into alts in 2014, otherwise I'd be very uncomfortable right now.

BTC purists are slagging off the alts and spouting various implausible conspiracy theories, so there is real pain for them - it's not just discomfort...

However, it is just common sense to have a balanced portfolio in crypto. At times like this, it is quite obvious why.

That said, the rise of alts has been huge these past few months with BTC down to 66.3% of the overall crypto market.   Yep, down to under two thirds.  It is true that we are in an alt bubble, so if someone waves a magic wand and ends the civil war, I would expect a sea of red, but the crypto space does have serious contenders now and BTC is never going to be over 90% of the market again.

The only thing to watch out for is that a total collapse in the price of BTC to (say) under $500 will depress the entire market.  Some capital will leave and some exchanges and miners may even be in trouble.   If we are heading for 2014 all over again, it will not be easy no matter what you are holding. 

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 09:27:41 AM

It's been remarkably quiet in here lately, given the price action.  Everyone glued to BTC drama?

Hard not to watch the carnage and smell the fear on diehard BTC threads.

But XMR is just doing its thing and holding a fairly tight range in USD terms.  To be honest, it's not that exciting as XMR has not shot up as BTC has dived.  This is slightly disappointing, I really expected to keep no. 4 market cap at least and have a shot at the XMR/BTC ATH again.

A little fresh news excuse would be rather helpful, I would like it a little less quiet here, too.

我想要火箭和火车
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 11:33:03 AM

There is some action in CK since it was decoupled from XMR approx 50 hours ago.

In fact the price of CK item is now 27,175 instead of 7,000 at the time of announcement (+288% in 50 hours).

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 11:58:38 AM

BTC purists are slagging off the alts and spouting various implausible conspiracy theories, so there is real pain for them - it's not just discomfort...

However, it is just common sense to have a balanced portfolio in crypto. At times like this, it is quite obvious why.

That said, the rise of alts has been huge these past few months with BTC down to 66.3% of the overall crypto market.   Yep, down to under two thirds.  It is true that we are in an alt bubble, so if someone waves a magic wand and ends the civil war, I would expect a sea of red, but the crypto space does have serious contenders now and BTC is never going to be over 90% of the market again.

The only thing to watch out for is that a total collapse in the price of BTC to (say) under $500 will depress the entire market.  Some capital will leave and some exchanges and miners may even be in trouble.   If we are heading for 2014 all over again, it will not be easy no matter what you are holding. 

I have been of the opinion for many years that sooner or later some other crypto would replace BTC.  The reason is simple, there are literally hundreds of cryptocurrencies that are technically superior to BTC.  In the past when I pointed out that BTC block time is not realistic if the intent is to replace cash, I was told that BTC could just change the block time, so these upstart alts with shorter block times don't even matter.  But the truth is that BTC will never, and can never, change the block time; and the reason I feel confident in saying so is that it has now literally been years without a consensus on a scaling solution.  If they can't find consensus on a block size issue in years, they will never, ever, be able to agree on a block time change (although that too would help address the scaling issue).  No, the block time, and reward for BTC are set in stone and no consensus on change would ever arise, which means BTC will never be a viable replacement for cash.  Even if the block size dispute is settled such that I can get a small transaction in the very next block every single time with a tiny fee, waiting 10 minutes on average is too long for a substitute for cash.

BTC has been benefiting from the network effect of having been first.  I have always considered it a matter of time until some replacement asserts itself.  I will admit I did not even suspect monero though until the past 6 months or so.  I have been moving the majority of my BTC into a handful of promising alts for more than a year and this past six months or so (but especially the past two months) has been insanely profitable for me.  Of the top 5 cryptos by market cap I have been accumulating all of them except for ripple (because who needs a centralized cryptocurrency anyway?) so the transfer away from BTC to alts has been very welcome to me. 

But I agree, a full on floundering for BTC would be bad for everything.  I would rather see a slow and steady decline for BTC while it was replaced by alts.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:17:20 PM

That said, the rise of alts has been huge these past few months with BTC down to 66.3% of the overall crypto market.   Yep, down to under two thirds.  It is true that we are in an alt bubble, so if someone waves a magic wand and ends the civil war, I would expect a sea of red, but the crypto space does have serious contenders now and BTC is never going to be over 90% of the market again.

The only thing to watch out for is that a total collapse in the price of BTC to (say) under $500 will depress the entire market.  Some capital will leave and some exchanges and miners may even be in trouble.   If we are heading for 2014 all over again, it will not be easy no matter what you are holding.  

I have been of the opinion for many years that sooner or later some other crypto would replace BTC.  The reason is simple, there are literally hundreds of cryptocurrencies that are technically superior to BTC.  In the past when I pointed out that BTC block time is not realistic if the intent is to replace cash, I was told that BTC could just change the block time, so these upstart alts with shorter block times don't even matter.  But the truth is that BTC will never, and can never, change the block time; and the reason I feel confident in saying so is that it has now literally been years without a consensus on a scaling solution.  If they can't find consensus on a block size issue in years, they will never, ever, be able to agree on a block time change (although that too would help address the scaling issue).  No, the block time, and reward for BTC are set in stone and no consensus on change would ever arise, which means BTC will never be a viable replacement for cash.  Even if the block size dispute is settled such that I can get a small transaction in the very next block every single time with a tiny fee, waiting 10 minutes on average is too long for a substitute for cash.

BTC has been benefiting from the network effect of having been first.  I have always considered it a matter of time until some replacement asserts itself.  I will admit I did not even suspect monero though until the past 6 months or so.  I have been moving the majority of my BTC into a handful of promising alts for more than a year and this past six months or so (but especially the past two months) has been insanely profitable for me.  Of the top 5 cryptos by market cap I have been accumulating all of them except for ripple (because who needs a centralized cryptocurrency anyway?) so the transfer away from BTC to alts has been very welcome to me.  

But I agree, a full on floundering for BTC would be bad for everything.  I would rather see a slow and steady decline for BTC while it was replaced by alts.

Agreed, I have always thought ten minutes was ludicrous for BTC to expect to be used for a coffee purchase as it stands.  Maybe SW and LN would sort this, but BTCs lack of consensus is the thing that is losing it its unassailable status.

Other alts? Of course, eventually will make their mark and takeover, even - but BTC is still the backbone of the market for now.   If another alt surpasses it soon and becomes No. 1, it will have been BTC's fault.   My hunch is BTC will sort something out and we have a way to go yet (before this happens).  

Unless Bitcoin really shoots itself in the foot...

我想要火箭和火车
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:26:26 PM

That said, the rise of alts has been huge these past few months with BTC down to 66.3% of the overall crypto market.   Yep, down to under two thirds.  It is true that we are in an alt bubble, so if someone waves a magic wand and ends the civil war, I would expect a sea of red, but the crypto space does have serious contenders now and BTC is never going to be over 90% of the market again.

The only thing to watch out for is that a total collapse in the price of BTC to (say) under $500 will depress the entire market.  Some capital will leave and some exchanges and miners may even be in trouble.   If we are heading for 2014 all over again, it will not be easy no matter what you are holding.  

I have been of the opinion for many years that sooner or later some other crypto would replace BTC.  The reason is simple, there are literally hundreds of cryptocurrencies that are technically superior to BTC.  In the past when I pointed out that BTC block time is not realistic if the intent is to replace cash, I was told that BTC could just change the block time, so these upstart alts with shorter block times don't even matter.  But the truth is that BTC will never, and can never, change the block time; and the reason I feel confident in saying so is that it has now literally been years without a consensus on a scaling solution.  If they can't find consensus on a block size issue in years, they will never, ever, be able to agree on a block time change (although that too would help address the scaling issue).  No, the block time, and reward for BTC are set in stone and no consensus on change would ever arise, which means BTC will never be a viable replacement for cash.  Even if the block size dispute is settled such that I can get a small transaction in the very next block every single time with a tiny fee, waiting 10 minutes on average is too long for a substitute for cash.

BTC has been benefiting from the network effect of having been first.  I have always considered it a matter of time until some replacement asserts itself.  I will admit I did not even suspect monero though until the past 6 months or so.  I have been moving the majority of my BTC into a handful of promising alts for more than a year and this past six months or so (but especially the past two months) has been insanely profitable for me.  Of the top 5 cryptos by market cap I have been accumulating all of them except for ripple (because who needs a centralized cryptocurrency anyway?) so the transfer away from BTC to alts has been very welcome to me.  

But I agree, a full on floundering for BTC would be bad for everything.  I would rather see a slow and steady decline for BTC while it was replaced by alts.

Agreed, I have always thought ten minutes was ludicrous for BTC to expect to be used for a coffee purchase as it stands.  Maybe SW and LN would sort this, but BTCs lack of consensus is the thing that is losing it its unassailable status.

Other alts? Of course, eventually will make their mark and takeover, even - but BTC is still the backbone of the market for now.   If another alt surpasses it soon and becomes No. 1, it will have been BTC's fault.   My hunch is BTC will sort something out and we have a way to go yet (before this happens).  

Unless Bitcoin really shoots itself in the foot...

BTC is going through some growing pains right now and perhaps there is something a bit sinister afoot. Not sure what to think with BU.
Regarding XMR, the lack of JAXX support or a light wallet imo, really hurt. I think the price would be much higher right now. Maybe that is a good thing. I am a holder however.
And there are questions regarding the fee's for XMR as it relates our growing and quite large blockchain. Sorry, no expert and I just said that poorly, but maybe someone can jump in here.
Speaking of coffee, how does one buy it without a light wallet? Any word on Jaxx integration?

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Pages: « 1 ... 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: