Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:52:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 [1431] 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312379 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 11:43:48 AM

Reviewing my posting history.....

I know you said you didn't want a continuing discussion, but your mea culpa is a surprise and one I respect.

Just to say, I for one have found your posts and undoubted knowledge always worth taking on board and sometimes a revelation.  I followed you, Risto, and KFR into Monero at the point it was still being decided what to call it when no exchange was even listing it.  I obviously have no regrets.

If you are refocusing your priorities in life, good for you. And if this post was part of helping you achieve that, I hope it has done the job intended.

I am sure it is not just me who thinks you are and always have been important to the core of Monero supporters.  In my estimation, far more people here owe you thanks than you owe an apology to, if you owe any apology at all.

So yes, re-balance your life, but please don't stop dropping by and posting, whatever mood you're in!  

Good luck in focusing on what matters, instead of a screen - we probably all need to think about that.  

Absolutely, +100 on this totally.  Money isn't everything (although having some makes it possible in life to do what's more important).

I'm probably more than a little guilty of enjoying watching the pretty green candles moving up and to the right lately, LOL, but I kinda feel like I earned it from starting to buy bitcoins after the 2013 bubble broke $1000.  I bought my first BTC at about $950... then more and more all the way down to the $300's... and now all the way back up here to where we are today.

Believing in the technology's potential to improve the human condition on this blue planet is more important than making profit *but* YES of course I'm enjoying watching the green candles, anyway.  If/when they turn more red?  Will something change?  Probably not much.

Anyway, yes agree 100% too AMINOREX please do not LEAVE again.  Your erudite wisdom and advices are responsible for vastly more *good* that's come about here than any mea-culpa you may feel for any perceived 'arrogance' or whatever.  Don't worry about it dude, it's all good Smiley

Plus your avatar kicks ass... Fear & Loathing all the way LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4896

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:10:41 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2017, 12:36:22 PM by Hueristic

George Maxwells speak at Coinbase has practically made DASH on Coinbase impossible, ZCash unlikely and XMR very likely.
Very bullish.

Maxwell: "Zcash is not unconditionally sound, can't be with current tech...."
Maxwell: "Dash isn't cryptographically private at all...it's snakeoil and I'm just sort of beside myself about it, personally."

I guess you are referring to this recent video? Seems that I have something to watch tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHPYNZ8i1cU

Greg Maxwell on Confidential Transactions, 28 April 2017
Speakers at Coinbase, Published on May 2, 2017

I enjoyed that video but there a few things I didn't like for example he left the monero screen up while calling out dash so anyone that wasn't watching closely would have looked up every time he said snakeoil (about 4 times) and they would have seen monero on the screen. He said he had a screen with Dash and just LOL so why did he remove that? He also skimmed alot of monero features and when he spoke about the eliptic curve it was a blurb that got drowned out by a background sound and it looked pretty timed. It's obvious he's down playing monero and pushing his side chains and I didn't like the fact he didn't make it clear That Monero already Has CT also I didn't like the way he said that monero is linkable without clarifying that that had been a known issue and has been addressed. From his wording you would think that all ring transactions are linkable.

TLDR: He skimmed XMR while making it sound as if it can be ignored now and is not a solution.

I think the DEV team or Someone who is heavily invested should take the monero portion and make a rebuttal video. If you looked at the vid with rose colored glasses he didn't tear Monero up as bad as the others but he did and it was a soft troll job. You guys need to watch this as if you know nothing about monero and you will not come off thinking it is any solution and that CT sidechains are the solution which I'm sure we all disagree with here.

Added: I did like in the questions where he admitted that competing with monero would be difficult because of the forced CT on XMR.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:23:28 PM

Yes this Coinbase talk is good for XMR. Hope it will get the attention it needs on social media.

Also look at the chart and predictions over on tradingview, many traders see a massive cup and handle formation on XMR forming and ready for breakout.

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRUSD/6HdI4WUp-XMR-MASSIVE-CUP-AND-HANDLE/

Prepare to moon my friends, this has only begun.

Here come the shillacounts (risto I see you).

{snip}

When rising prices cause rising mood and falling prices cause falling countenance, something is very wrong.  If nothing else, it is counterproductive to good decision-making.  Don't be that guy (or gal).  Get out and enjoy the world, and do some good in it.  Be physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthier for it. I hope to see you there

Great advice to live by, this is a for of gambling and being in the right place at the right time has a large luck factor that many attribute to skill. that is a false assumption that can cost you everything you have gained in the long run. Luckily for me I'm always at the wrong place at the wrong time so no worries there. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:31:45 PM

Aminorex you are a poet. Smiley

Some predictions for XMR on Tradingview, most call a massive bullish cycle, bullish patterns like cup and handle or reverse head and shoulders:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/fayS7Ms8-Monero-XMRBTC-Cup-Handle/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/kocZdQC5-Monero-XMRBTC-Inverse-Head-Shoulders/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/E0WJygdm-XMRBTC-new-bull-cycle/

If this pattern should coincidentally overlap with some important news like coinbase or whatever...and BTC could also take a dip at the same time...

As much as I would love to see Monero on coinbase, I don’t think that an anonymous coin would work very well on it. Not only does coinbase require you to verify your identity (meaning if an address ends up getting looked into you’ve already proven it was you), the current Subpoena, and the fact the US always has their eyes on coinbase seems to be kind of a down side for adding Monero.

Nevertheless, I guess since I don’t do anything illegal with Monero (I just use it an investment and support of a crypto with unique tech), me (and people like me) may enjoy it if Monero does get added to coinbase. I think everybody would also enjoy the pump from it.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:57:20 PM

Obvious thing is that high BTC price push Monero BTC value down and Monero USD value up.

Those that thinks BTC is to expensive are I think wrong. Bitcoin is on a second longest raise in its modern history.  This long raises ofcourse did not happen right before ATH.

Five Historically Longest Series Of Up-Movements Of The Daily Weighted Average Bitcoin Price On Bitstamp:

24 Feb 2013 - 06 Mar 2013: 11 days,   28.97 -   46.39

30 Mar 2013 - 09 Apr 2013: 11 days,   89.86 -  214.86

24 Aug 2013 - 02 Sep 2013: 10 days,  107.81 -  130.57

03 Oct 2013 - 16 Oct 2013: 14 days,  109.65 -  142.61

24 Apr 2017 - 03 May 2017:  11 days, 1228.52 - 1478.69 ... (ongoing...)
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 01:04:13 PM

As much as I would love to see Monero on coinbase, I don’t think that an anonymous coin would work very well on it...

Aaaaaaaaa!  I hate to keep harping on this, but dammit... yet again: it's not "anonymous" that's important: it's FUNGIBLE.

Fungible Fungible Fungible.  

Monero people gotta get this thru our collective heads.  Stop with the "anonymous" red herring trap, please.  Aaaaa.

Besides, being "anonymous" (aaaa!) on coinbase isn't any problem really because of course YOU AIN'T ANONYMOUS ON COINBASE.

Coinbase knows everything about you already, and they'll know (and can report) every XMR you buy on their site with your dollars, no problem, just exactly the same as they know and report every bitcoin you buy and every ether you buy and (now) every litecoin you buy.  No difference, no problem really.

The ONLY thing that's "different" with Monero is they won't be able to track your XMR more than one hop out, once you withdraw it from their exchange and control.  

But why is that a problem really?  Just because they can do that with bitcoin, does it mean they will have to do it with every other coin, even if they can't do it due to technological reasons?

Do banks have to track the dollars you withdraw from your account out to three, four, five transactions away?  OR do they just have to monitor the cash withdrawals from your account to "one hop" out...?  That's exactly what Monero will allow, exactly the same limitations as banks have for cash.  Monero is digital cash.

TL;DR -- there is really no good reason why coinbase or any other exchange cannot support XMR and this "anonymous" red herring argument has GOT to STOP.

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
Nathan047

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 01:20:12 PM

Aaaaaaaaa!  I hate to keep harping on this, but dammit... yet again: it's not "anonymous" that's important: it's FUNGIBLE.
Monero people gotta get this thru our collective heads.  Stop with the "anonymous" red herring trap, please.  Aaaaa.
Well, I see where “anonymous” could be a bit misleading, but I’m not sure “Fungible” would be the correct term. Perhaps “Private” would be more descriptive?

The ONLY thing that's "different" with Monero is they won't be able to track your XMR more than one hop out, once you withdraw it from their exchange and control.  
I was referring to buying it and then using their web wallet. If you don’t use their web wallet I think it would be more helpful to just buy it somewhere else where you’re not tracked as much and you don’t need to verify your identity. Monero lacks light wallets and the only web wallet they’ve got is my mymonero.com, which seems to have it’s share of issues and glitches. It's hard for people who can't run a full node.

Coinbase knows everything about you already, and they'll know (and can report) every XMR you buy on their site with your dollars, no problem, just exactly the same as they know and report every bitcoin you buy and every ether you buy and (now) every litecoin you buy.  No difference, no problem really.
Yea, but I think a lot of people would want to be "Private/Anonymous/Fungible/Whatever" with their XMR more than they'll want with their BTC.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
hoertest

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 01:48:50 PM

i think he just wanted to point out that coinbase should have no legal reasons for not adding monero.

And beeing Fungible is so much more important than you think, Privacy is just a byproduct of fungible currency. Its much more than just the  comfort of having privacy from a users point of view. currency can't function without fungibility. And only monero has it without sacrificing decentralisation or any of btc accomplishments.

i think people will only start to understand this once btc is fully transparent , tx history documented and illustrated to the point you know you are getting an isis btc or one thats been owned by snoop dogg. thats when btc breaks. no scaling issues needed.
CTTE

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 02:29:48 PM

Well, I see where “anonymous” could be a bit misleading, but I’m not sure “Fungible” would be the correct term. Perhaps “Private” would be more descriptive?

I was referring to buying it and then using their web wallet. If you don’t use their web wallet I think it would be more helpful to just buy it somewhere else where you’re not tracked as much and you don’t need to verify your identity. Monero lacks light wallets and the only web wallet they’ve got is my mymonero.com, which seems to have it’s share of issues and glitches. It's hard for people who can't run a full node.

Coinbase knows everything about you already, and they'll know (and can report) every XMR you buy on their site with your dollars, no problem, just exactly the same as they know and report every bitcoin you buy and every ether you buy and (now) every litecoin you buy.  No difference, no problem really.
Yea, but I think a lot of people would want to be "Private/Anonymous/Fungible/Whatever" with their XMR more than they'll want with their BTC.
What Coinbase will mean for Monero is another easy on-ramp with a trusted provider of services which will allow me and other people to easily buy Monero with fiat on a regular basis.  I personally don't want to set up another link to my bank account with yet another exchange, so I'm hoping Coinbase does this soon.

As far as "Privacy"...  buying almost any amount of Monero with fiat is not an easy thing to do unless you're willing to be known by the selling entity but once you send that Monero to another wallet, you have regained your privacy and can move that freely without fear of being tracked and you, at that point, have a private, fungible asset.  Coming back the other way exposes you to government or banking institution's monitoring which could be mitigated by having more opportunities to use Monero directly for general purchases without using xmr.to or converting it to BTC first... that's a pain to deal with and seems like a bit of a "cheesy hack", IMHO.
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 02:58:16 PM

I think the most important aspect of Coinbase (if they were to accept Monero) would be the signal it gives to the market: that Monero is one of the most important currencies around. Coinbase would give a legitimacy to Monero that other currencies would be hard-pressed to find elsewhere.

Baguette Holder.
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 03:54:14 PM

[...] Also look at the chart and predictions over on tradingview, many traders see a massive cup and handle formation on XMR forming and ready for breakout.

That is taking the drawing of lines to a whole different level.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 04:44:32 PM

As much as I would love to see Monero on coinbase, I don’t think that an anonymous coin would work very well on it...

Besides, being "anonymous" (aaaa!) on coinbase isn't any problem really because of course YOU AIN'T ANONYMOUS ON COINBASE.

Coinbase knows everything about you already, and they'll know (and can report) every XMR you buy on their site with your dollars, no problem, just exactly the same as they know and report every bitcoin you buy and every ether you buy and (now) every litecoin you buy.  No difference, no problem really.

But why is that a problem really?  Just because they can do that with bitcoin, does it mean they will have to do it with every other coin, even if they can't do it due to technological reasons?

Do banks have to track the dollars you withdraw from your account out to three, four, five transactions away?  OR do they just have to monitor the cash withdrawals from your account to "one hop" out...?  That's exactly what Monero will allow, exactly the same limitations as banks have for cash.  Monero is digital cash.

TL;DR -- there is really no good reason why coinbase or any other exchange cannot support XMR and this "anonymous" red herring argument has GOT to STOP.

Quite true, there are many things that need to be refereed to differently like hard fork needs to refereed to as upgrade like every other coin does. Descriptive words are important and those terms scare people way because they just don't understand them, they are ignorant of them. And those same people think being called ignorant of something is an insult. Wink

rinus

Activity: 362
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 05:45:22 PM

Hey guys, i see price is at 27.5 usd. Thats quite nice but it probably has everything to do with rising bitcoin price... I see LTC has made a huge jump... whats up with that? i am a die hard Hodl for monery from 3 years ago, but i cant ignore the fact that the other " big alts " made a huge jump and monery seems to just follow bitcoin price with low volume ( on polo )... any specific reason for this?
danimlg

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 05:55:05 PM

Hey guys, i see price is at 27.5 usd. Thats quite nice but it probably has everything to do with rising bitcoin price... I see LTC has made a huge jump... whats up with that? i am a die hard Hodl for monery from 3 years ago, but i cant ignore the fact that the other " big alts " made a huge jump and monery seems to just follow bitcoin price with low volume ( on polo )... any specific reason for this?

Price on polo is 27,50 USDT, -7% if you wanna know real USD price, anyway, other alts are jumping because they had huge marketing, we don't have that atm... I get sick when I take a look into that huge jumps other coins had in 2017 with way less tech, however I have faith we'll go there too. When? I wish I could know... maybe tomorrow, maybe in 2020 lol
bovcan

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 06:25:57 PM

XMR is only about $1.00 USD from All Time High.  It shows it at $27.75 on Trading View - March 17.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 06:49:21 PM

This really is an interesting situation...  I cannot come up with a really good analysis really.

c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 07:25:55 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2017, 07:37:28 PM by c789

This really is an interesting situation...  I cannot come up with a really good analysis really.

I've seen that situation before, and I can't figure it out either. All I can say is that I've seen it a handful of times and that the price is still on an upward trend, so I don't sweat it...although I definitely don't get it...maybe it's the only one with real and not inflated value?

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
OrangeP

Activity: 358

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 08:34:23 PM

Now everything had a minor (and necessary) correction. Monero holds it's price.

If you want to secure your money and stay somehow in the game:
Buy Monero. BTC/XMR or (any pumped altcoin)/XMR ratios are cheap now.

Hottest Coins: Decred, ZCoin, Waves
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 10:07:01 PM

This really is an interesting situation...  I cannot come up with a really good analysis really.

I've seen that situation before, and I can't figure it out either. All I can say is that I've seen it a handful of times and that the price is still on an upward trend, so I don't sweat it...although I definitely don't get it...maybe it's the only one with real and not inflated value?

That's the conclusion I came to. All good IMHO

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
megadeth

Activity: 289
Merit: 252

bagholder since 2013

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 02:19:50 AM

The true effects of Monero's decentralized distribution may take years to play out.

bagholder since 2013
My sig space is not for sale.
Pages: « 1 ... 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 [1431] 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: