Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:35:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 [1834] 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312338 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:22:52 AM

If everyone posted an apology for every speculation not realized, this speculation thread would be twice as long.

I will apologize for this post when I see close to 100% speculation accuracy here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:23:38 AM

Dear Icetroller,
this is Monero Speculation Thread not BTC speculation thread, please stop being OT in this Thread.    

thank you

As much as I disagree with the big blocker philosophy... Aminorex has NOTHING to apologize for to anyone.  That is some of the most ridiculous shit posted here.  On the contrary, I am ashamed this thread has turned all Aspergers on him for stating his opinion.

Calm the hell down, IMHO.

I am the calm one here.  You can tell because I'm referring to objective numbers provided by a 3rd party and because I'm not spewing Chicken Little gloom-and-doom FUD about how Bitcoin is going to die (and/or is already dead). Smiley

Aminorex's opinions predictions about s2x's fate and The Evil Blockstream Core Conspiracy were/are flat-out wrong.  He needs to be called out for and own those mistakes.  You don't need to leap into the fray in a chivalrous attempt to white knight for him.  He's a big boy and fully capable of engaging me without you trying to set the acceptable parameters of our discourse.

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 01:36:27 AM
Merited by BlindMayorBitcorn (1)

If everyone posted an apology for every speculation not realized, this speculation thread would be twice as long.

I will apologize for this post when I see close to 100% speculation accuracy here.

You're right that apologizing for "every" incorrect bit of speculation is not warranted, and that is indeed a quite a humorous suggestion. Wink

But you are dishonestly retreating into generalizations as a way to avoid the particular very-high profile and thus especially egregious 'Bitcoin is dead/dying' FUD being spread by Aminorex.

I'm not asking for an apology as some sort of groveling for forgiveness within a moralistic overlay; I simply have high expectations for our most respected posters, which entails they own up to their most massive counterfactual mistakes and perhaps explain to their flocks how/why they managed to get it so wrong.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:44:31 AM
Merited by Anon136 (1)

As much as I disagree with the big blocker philosophy... Aminorex has NOTHING to apologize for to anyone.  That is some of the most ridiculous shit posted here.  On the contrary, I am ashamed this thread has turned all Aspergers on him for stating his opinion.

Calm the hell down, IMHO.

I am the calm one here.  You can tell because I'm referring to objective numbers provided by a 3rd party and because I'm not spewing Chicken Little gloom-and-doom FUD about how Bitcoin is going to die (and/or is already dead). Smiley

Aminorex's opinions predictions about s2x's fate and The Evil Blockstream Core Conspiracy were/are flat-out wrong.  He needs to be called out for and own those mistakes.  You don't need to leap into the fray in a chivalrous attempt to white knight for him.  He's a big boy and fully capable of engaging me without you trying to set the acceptable parameters of our discourse.

You did not ask him to apologize, which was my main beef. 

The two of you want to go mano a mano on Big blocks/blockstream/core/Monero/etc then I will go pop some corn...  Or get some nice chicharones since I am low carb.  I am fairly firmly on the core side of this fence.   I would enjoy good arguments made on each side.  And how they relate to Monero's value makes it all the better.
the_viper

Activity: 315
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 06:00:10 AM

The one thing that doesn't add up to me is that darkcoin is significantly higher than Monero still.  Comparing Monero to bit coin days.  There wasn't a precursor to bitcoin that tried to do the same thing in an inferior way that had a higher market cap.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 06:09:47 AM

The one thing that doesn't add up to me is that darkcoin is significantly higher than Monero still.  Comparing Monero to bit coin days.  There wasn't a precursor to bitcoin that tried to do the same thing in an inferior way that had a higher market cap.

When one entity owns (premine) vast amounts of the coin, and there is no trade volume and no transactions, they can set the price wherever they want.  It really is irrelevant.
johnalan

Activity: 200
Merit: 47

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:59:48 AM

Maybe crypto is like PMs where gold is still king after thousands of years.

Bitcoin is more like aluminum than gold.  In order to transfer value it takes much longer and costs vastly more than any other crypto of comparable monetary function.

It remains to be seen whether a settlements network can be salvaged from the ashes of the house Satoshi built and the core team burned down.  I would not invest in bitcoin now, simply because it is not useful now, and I have no confidence in the salvage crew.

Bitcoin should and I hope, will survive.  Its robustness (anti-fragility) is legend and so it is and will be for some time the standard bearer for all crypto.  

A blind, arthritic and demented standard bearer does not seem like a good thing to me. Lack of utility, if it persists, will surely bleed its value inexorably down. I hope I am proven wrong because the wake of a sinking titan can capsize numerous lesser vessels. Even a sound one will be tossed brutally in those swells.

Monero has a lead for being perceived as honest and unflashy.  And it has a use-case.   As long as the use case is required it will be hard for other coins to take over its place.  Optional privacy may be added to other coins, but Monero's privacy by default is the only way, so it has a good chance of being one of the 'few' to make it.

Not only does it have a use case, but it is actually fit for purpose.  At least one of ten ICOs has a plausible, or even a legitimate and viable use case and hence a niche. But far fewer are actually fit for that use, and all have much narrower niches than monero, save perhaps transparent liquidity and possibly even contracts.  What is the likely successor to BTC for liquidity?  Well, LTC transfers per unit of market cap are vastly higher than BitcoinCash, so it is looking remarkably and surprisingly useful, in addition to it's tenure.

I don't think ETH is a robust contracts platform.  All the larceny is sufficient to discredit ETH.  Usability is still at the squat toilet level.  But...It could be a long while before a 10x better platform emerges - and that is usually what it takes to displace an incumbent, a 10x ROI.

Very interesting thoughts, as always.

I expect we should see Monero break 1K by July.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:35:36 PM

Announcement - Proof-of-Work tweak and a note on key reuse

https://getmonero.org/2018/02/11/PoW-change-and-key-reuse.html

I'm curious.  It was mentioned that there will come a time that Monero won't be doing the bi annual hard forks in the future as the coin becomes big enough that any hard fork could get risky.  Does that mean ASIC's could come anyway?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 02:21:35 PM

I'm curious.  It was mentioned that there will come a time that Monero won't be doing the bi annual hard forks in the future as the coin becomes big enough that any hard fork could get risky.  Does that mean ASIC's could come anyway?

I guess nobody really knows how this will play out in the long term. Maybe tweaking the POW algo is not such a big deal for a hard fork. But, more likely, this notice serves more as a deterrent and a threat rather than a promise. If ASIC manufacturers can be persuaded that Monero might change its POW algo at any given time then they may not bother developing one targeted at Monero.

Opinions on MoneroV and the RingCT issue?

Baguette Holder.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 02:40:41 PM
Merited by tokeweed (1)

I guess nobody really knows how this will play out in the long term. Maybe tweaking the POW algo is not such a big deal for a hard fork. But, more likely, this notice serves more as a deterrent and a threat rather than a promise. If ASIC manufacturers can be persuaded that Monero might change its POW algo at any given time then they may not bother developing one targeted at Monero.

Yes, I see that post on getmonero as a statement to the ASIC manufacturers. That Monero is and always will be ASIC resistant. With recent fast growth of Monero mining hash power were some speculations that someone build an ASIC miner. This change totally denies that speculation.  And to make a change every 6 months is not needed. I read it someone said it would be enough to do it every 2 years.
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 02:47:52 PM

Yes, I see that post on getmonero as a statement to the ASIC manufacturers. That Monero is and always will be ASIC resistant. With recent fast growth of Monero mining hash power were some speculations that someone build an ASIC miner. This change totally denies that speculation.  And to make a change every 6 months is not needed. I read it someone said it would be enough to do it every 2 years.

Good point.

Baguette Holder.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 03:20:12 PM

Bitcoin is more like aluminum than gold.  In order to transfer value it takes much longer and costs vastly more than any other crypto of comparable monetary function.

sooooo... xmr tx fee is cheaper than bitcoin now ?

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactionfees-btc-xmr.html#3m

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

EDIT : 
BTC av tx fee  3.4 usd 
xmr av tx fee  6.5 usd  Cry

There you go.  My experience is now obsolete again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 03:44:35 PM
Merited by iCEBREAKER (1)

'Bitcoin is dead/dying' FUD being spread by Aminorex.

...they own up to their most massive counterfactual mistakes and perhaps explain to their flocks how/why they managed to get it so wrong.

Yeah, the fee crisis is over, for now at least, and whether it will repeat I am not now competent to speculate.  I should learn to keep my mouth shut when I am not following current events.  I was quite wrong about s2x, because core was able to act while I was expecting even more stagnation. That error, again, is attributable to neglecting the current available information about the internal dynamics of core. I was also quite wrong about Bitcoin Cash, which has far exceeded my expectations.  I don't even know enough to say why.

Once you know something well, you can make more reasonable projections than before, but if you don't stay up-to-date on the most important factors, in a dynamic environment, that potential degrades rapidly.  My takeaway is to remember to check whether my info is still pertinent rather than repeating old conclusions without updating.  I have done it before, so shame on me for not learning from it then.  It is easy to get cocky and sloppy after a few wins, and a hard reality check is good for the soul, focusses the mind.  So thanks for pointing it out.

Frankly I am not paying enough attention to classic crypto lately for anyone to hang on my words about it.  I try to get the big picture, but my detail attention is currently consumed by lawyers and web plumbing for a CEF.  C'est la guerre.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:26:08 PM

thanks Smiley

I'd rather be able to use as intended when I bought them in December  Undecided

That would be optimal but ever since butterfly labs I have never even thought of buying before a product is out and working.

...they own up to their most massive counterfactual mistakes and perhaps explain to their flocks how/why they managed to get it so wrong.

Yeah, the fee crisis is over, for now at least, and whether it will repeat I am not now competent to speculate.  I should learn to keep my mouth shut when I am not following current events.  I was quite wrong about s2x, because core was able to act while I was expecting even more stagnation. That error, again, is attributable to neglecting the current available information about the internal dynamics of core. I was also quite wrong about Bitcoin Cash, which has far exceeded my expectations.  I don't even know enough to say why.

Once you know something well, you can make more reasonable projections than before, but if you don't stay up-to-date on the most important factors, in a dynamic environment, that potential degrades rapidly.  My takeaway is to remember to check whether my info is still pertinent rather than repeating old conclusions without updating.  I have done it before, so shame on me for not learning from it then.  It is easy to get cocky and sloppy after a few wins, and a hard reality check is good for the soul, focusses the mind.  So thanks for pointing it out.

Frankly I am not paying enough attention to classic crypto lately for anyone to hang on my words about it.  I try to get the big picture, but my detail attention is currently consumed by lawyers and web plumbing for a CEF.  C'est la guerre.

Well said. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
johnalan

Activity: 200
Merit: 47

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:32:39 PM

Yeah, the fee crisis is over, for now at least, and whether it will repeat I am not now competent to speculate.  I should learn to keep my mouth shut when I am not following current events.  I was quite wrong about s2x, because core was able to act while I was expecting even more stagnation. That error, again, is attributable to neglecting the current available information about the internal dynamics of core. I was also quite wrong about Bitcoin Cash, which has far exceeded my expectations.  I don't even know enough to say why.

Once you know something well, you can make more reasonable projections than before, but if you don't stay up-to-date on the most important factors, in a dynamic environment, that potential degrades rapidly.  My takeaway is to remember to check whether my info is still pertinent rather than repeating old conclusions without updating.  I have done it before, so shame on me for not learning from it then.  It is easy to get cocky and sloppy after a few wins, and a hard reality check is good for the soul, focusses the mind.  So thanks for pointing it out.

Frankly I am not paying enough attention to classic crypto lately for anyone to hang on my words about it.  I try to get the big picture, but my detail attention is currently consumed by lawyers and web plumbing for a CEF.  C'est la guerre.

Surely not going bearish on XMR?
rdp

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:52:17 PM

Will this protocol change affects botnets mining? And if it affects that, does it means hashing power will dive at least for some time around fork period?

Will there be a chance of a chain split because these "70% unknown" hash power comes from botnets and that they might not just switch the software version promptly, leaving and old "ghost" chain burning power and taking some unaware souls?
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:29:16 PM

Any news when Monero mobile wallet will be released, currently it is very difficult to send XMR payment on the go.
ProofOfLambo

Activity: 238
Merit: 9

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:37:09 PM

I am not sure that cashing would be wrong today by the look of the market of bitcoin and the alternatives . Not taking into account that is purely a simple opinion with sights on the market. .
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:47:16 PM

Any news when Monero mobile wallet will be released, currently it is very difficult to send XMR payment on the go.

https://monerujo.io/ - is great for android. Especially with its xmr.to btc payments ability

I believe there's one for ios called Cake? I have no experience with it though
rinus

Activity: 362
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:54:58 PM

Just to be clear, with this hard fork and all, there is no problem with the Monero anonymity ? Because this is what makes Monero so special, anonymity... is this a reason to sell, this coming hard fork? I guess not, I don’t want to sell! But I am Having trouble understanding the whole coming situation
Pages: « 1 ... 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 [1834] 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: