Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:40:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 02:56:26 AM

Wow. I'm not used to seeing Monero fall more than everyone else. This is depressing. I can handle a downturn but why would our awesome project be the worst of the bunch? Jesus, dark coin is going to over take us if this continues.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 03:02:27 AM
Merited by Anon136 (1)

Wow. I'm not used to seeing Monero fall more than everyone else. This is depressing. I can handle a downturn but why would our awesome project be the worst of the bunch? Jesus, dark coin is going to over take us if this continues.
At least some of it was the forkcoin play.  Recently it was announced that the launch would be postponed.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 03:23:37 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 12:57:53 PM by Anon136

At least some of it was the forkcoin play.  Recently it was announced that the launch would be postponed.

Exchanges and custodian services need more time to implement the MoneroV technology for them to support the fork and credit XMR holders with XMV. We are in the process of helping leading exchanges (from the top five Monero trading platforms) to list MoneroV. These services require additional time for implementation and we are positive that postponing the hard-fork date so that more users will be credited with their XMV outweighs the drawbacks.
Monero’s own software update that will occur in March is causing confusion with the initial hard-fork date. This is a common complaint we hear from both the Monero community and our own. Postponing the hard-fork snapshot date will help both Blockchains.
Mining pools are asking for more time to implement MoneroV. We want to help these pools to prepare for the hard-fork split so that MoneroV will be more stable and robust.
Many users have difficulty storing their XMR locally using the Monero GUI wallet due to its large blockchain size. Postponing the hard-fork date will help more users to prepare and be able to claim their XMV’s.
Overall, taking into consideration these reasons, and although MoneroV’s codebase is fully functional, we are positive that it would be best to postpone the snapshot date.

Here is what I think of all of those "reasons".

*edit* I love this gif so much. It's so funny. I could watch it all day.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
denetci

Activity: 490
Merit: 278

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:39:22 AM

Having both our team and community grow rapidly, the past few months has positioned the MoneroV project and the upcoming hard-fork as a highly anticipated event. With both great support and enthusiasm, we are dedicated to realizing the vision of a truly decentralized, finite currency to serve the community for years to come.

Due to the growing demand and increasing expectations from users, trading platforms, and large mining pools, we have decided that the Snapshot date will be postponed to ~30th of April block 1564965 
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:53:44 AM

finite currency to serve the community for years to come.
See gif above.

KiXiNiT

Activity: 100
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:43:31 AM
Merited by Anon136 (1)

Only because the pump was because of MoneroV airdrop, now it's postponed all the cash that flowed in is flowing out.

As much as people in this thread said it was about the "tech" more than the airdrop predictably they were very wrong.

Hardly anyone cares about the tech in crypto, that's why this market doesn't make sense to anybody
Tavarez

Activity: 700
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:48:19 AM

this coin has a guaranteed use in the future because of it privacy feature. Anonymity will be a demand soon. Now we will see what is going to happen with Monero after fork. Maybe we will see Monero V, but how knows. rising steadily from 2015 and let's hope this trend can continue.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 11:01:21 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 01:01:46 PM by Anon136
Merited by Globb0 (2), cAPSLOCK (1), phishead (1)

I'm going to X-post this over here too from the main thread because I think hope it is important.

Holy crap you guys. Eureka! I figured it out! Not just a stop gap measure to address the fork ring sig reuse problem. The actual solution! I was just laying in bed trying to fall asleep and it hit me like a tire iron to the face.

It is possable to deterministically derive ring sig partners but in a way that would be functionally random to any outside observer. I'll give an example of one way of doing it. Take

Code:
sha256([your private key] [transaction hash of most recent input]) mod [number of prospective ring signature partners]

Then make all of the prospective ring signature partners into an ordered numbered set and use the resulting modulus from the pseudo code above to select one. Continue wrapping around the clock face as many times as needed to arrive at the number of ring signature partners desired.

There would be 0 information leak from the outside, the ring signature partners would be functionally random to any outside observer BUT, and here is the beautiful thing, the same ring signature partners would end up being selected on both the main chain AND the fork chain!

Of course what I outlined above almost certainly isn't the best way to achieve this. It was just to outline the concept.

Merits! I deserve all of the merits. Bequeath unto me thine merits! (well, after peer review, and not just if my specific idea is right but if I'm barking up close enough to the right tree to inspire someone smarter than me)

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 12:25:34 PM

I'm going to X-post this over here too from the main thread because I think hope it is important.

Holy crap you guys. Eurika! I figured it out! Not just a stop gap measure to address the fork ring sig reuse problem. The actual solution! I was just laying in bed trying to fall asleep and it hit me like a tire iron to the face.

It is possable to deterministically derive ring sig partners but in a way that would be functionally random to any outside observer. I'll give an example of one way of doing it. Take

Code:
sha256([your private key] [transaction hash of most recent input]) mod [number of prospective ring signature partners]

Then make all of the prospective ring signature partners into an ordered numbered set and use the resulting modulous from the pseudo code above to select one. Continue wrapping around the clock face as many times as needed to arrive at the number of ring signature partners desired.

There would be 0 information leak from the outside, the ring signature partners would be functionally random to any outside observer BUT, and here is the beautiful thing, the same ring signature partners would end up being selected on both the main chain AND the fork chain!

Of course what I outlined above almost certainly isn't the best way to achieve this. It was just to outline the concept.

Merits! I deserve all of the merits. Bequeath unto me thine merits! (well, after peer review, and not just if my specific idea is right but if I'm barking up close enough to the right tree to inspire someone smarter than me)

You will get some from me if it passes review - if so well done!  In fact, well done anyway - I couldn't hope to even approach the issue.

我想要火箭和火车
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 03:16:04 PM
Merited by Anon136 (1)

Holy crap you guys. Eureka! I figured it out! Not just a stop gap measure to address the fork ring sig reuse problem. The actual solution! I was just laying in bed trying to fall asleep and it hit me like a tire iron to the face.

Code:

Then make all of the prospective ring signature partners into an ordered numbered set and use the resulting modulus from the pseudo code above to select one. Continue wrapping around the clock face as many times as needed to arrive at the number of ring signature partners desired.

To the average lurker who doesn't understand all the ins and outs of how you could pair up the same ring sigs, it sounds crazy enough to work.  I bequeath you 1 merit, and 1 more if it actually works.  Hopefully enough merits will help you sleep better at night.

Does it affect Monero's functionality?  If not then...

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 04:55:08 PM

Code:

To the average lurker who doesn't understand all the ins and outs of how you could pair up the same ring sigs, it sounds crazy enough to work.  I bequeath you 1 merit, and 1 more if it actually works.  Hopefully enough merits will help you sleep better at night.

I had some more time to think about it. It does have one flaw that I have thought of so far.

There is no way for an outside observer to verify that this method of ring sig partner selection had been used. So someone could run their own custom modified software that selected ring signature partners truely randomly their transactions would still be accepted by the network (though I don't know who would do that or why). Or if a fork chain was purposely malicious they could always delete this little bit of code roll that part of the software back to the way it is now. However if they did change that bit of code their motives would immediately become highly suspect, if not beyond reasonable doubt level incriminating, and this would severely damage if not ruin the reputation of their project (one hopes Roll Eyes).

Also I think the current ring sig partner selection weights newer transactions. So talking about random all the time like I was I don't think is technically completely accurate. But it helped to simplify the point I was trying to make and I think it was ok because a very similar weighting could be incorporated into the scheme I laid out with only minor modifications.

Moon_Man

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 12:14:12 AM

monero is life
mambamanagement

Activity: 108

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 05:43:36 AM

monero is life

a very important project
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 08:37:33 AM

Monero is a very sensitive subject

From the moment that I saw you
I knew that I'd be safe, cuz I'd never be alone
Run da buisness of the family
Have an evil empire just like my dear old Dad
Be Eviiiiil, but have my feelings too
Change my love wit Oprah and Maya Angeloo
But Monerov rejected me, c'est la vie
Life is cruel, treats you unfairly
Even so, a God there must be
Monero, you complete me

Veseloff

Activity: 448
Merit: 106

Revolutionising Marketing and Loyalty

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 08:46:33 AM

Hello! Do you think it's worth keeping Monero a couple more years? Does he have great prospects? It seems to me that a coin can bring a good profit.

Moon_Man

Activity: 106

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 02:23:57 PM

Hello! Do you think it's worth keeping Monero a couple more years? Does he have great prospects? It seems to me that a coin can bring a good profit.

For sure. Monero is king of privacy coins
bubaba

Activity: 69
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 03:14:52 PM

Fresh from the press Smiley
https://smartereum.com/3457/monero-price-predictions-2018-significant-appreciation-is-possible-i-usd-xmr-monero-xmr-monero-price-news-today-march-11-2018-price-news/

and this Baikal Miners + the monero pool pie
https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/monero-difficulty.html
http://preview.moneropools.com/#/pie

I wonder if the "78% Unknown" will drop heavily after the first batches will be delivered.

Shamed be he who thinks evil of it  Cheesy

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 03:38:43 PM

Fresh from the press Smiley
https://smartereum.com/3457/monero-price-predictions-2018-significant-appreciation-is-possible-i-usd-xmr-monero-xmr-monero-price-news-today-march-11-2018-price-news/

and this Baikal Miners + the monero pool pie
https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/monero-difficulty.html
http://preview.moneropools.com/#/pie

I wonder if the "78% Unknown" will drop heavily after the first batches will be delivered.

Shamed be he who thinks evil of it  Cheesy

Why should unknown change?  you can have asic miner in any known pool.  I don understand why are people so obsessed with this unknown part of mining pie.  Those unknown are miners as all others.  There can be miners with bad intentions on any known pool and  on any coin there is.
bubaba

Activity: 69
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 04:25:01 PM

Why should unknown change?  you can have asic miner in any known pool.  I don understand why are people so obsessed with this unknown part of mining pie.  Those unknown are miners as all others.  There can be miners with bad intentions on any known pool and  on any coin there is.

I thought when u have such a big hashrate like Baikal had(assuming they ran their miners for themselves a while) you wont join a official pool to mine with fees. Its better to make his own pool then i guess. But most of the "small" miners who are willing to buy such asic miner wont create an own pool and just join one of the popular ones, which will result in a smaller "unkown" percentage.

But this is just theory crafting ^^
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 04:41:12 PM

Why should unknown change?  you can have asic miner in any known pool.  I don understand why are people so obsessed with this unknown part of mining pie.  Those unknown are miners as all others.  There can be miners with bad intentions on any known pool and  on any coin there is.

I thought when u have such a big hashrate like Baikal had(assuming they ran their miners for themselves a while) you wont join a official pool to mine with fees. Its better to make his own pool then i guess. But most of the "small" miners who are willing to buy such asic miner wont create an own pool and just join one of the popular ones, which will result in a smaller "unkown" percentage.

But this is just theory crafting ^^

oh I misunderstood. Monero will  modify mining algorithm tiny bit to confuse all that made or plan to make ASIC miners. It will happen only few weeks from now.

https://getmonero.org/2018/02/11/PoW-change-and-key-reuse.html
Pages: « 1 ... 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: