Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:27:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GEMZ] GetGems - Social Messaging App That Pays - Live on Android, iOS, Web  (Read 597134 times)
fulcare

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 05:03:27 PM

trolls are no good to any coins

How am I a troll? I simply said getting any real numbers is very difficult which NXTTY has started to find out.

Nobody wants an app build on top of nxt which has been getting scam accusations left and right, gems is backed by Bitcoin which is a huge difference, also nxtty marketing sucked probably big time, who are the devs, are they giving interviews, do they visit conventions, who are they in partnership with? i think it's time for you to start reading first https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758004.msg9625353#msg9625353

It's you joke you are using nxtty as a benchmark

Oh the developers go to Bitcoin conventions and have a youtube interview. My mistake, you are easily going to get a few million downloads now. If I know anything is that teenagers who use apps like this love Bitcoin conventions. lol. You've defined the problem I'm trying to articulate better than I ever could.

BTW I tried to tell people on NXTTY these same inconvenient facts and they said I was just FUD etc as well. Now they can't get past a thousand or so downloads my points aren't looking so stupid now.

How about you read these first
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758004.msg8594258#msg8594258
and here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a129pSWTDWKWt945Un7NyTxTKPiVq5MjGFLs8mIuZug/edit#heading=h.g39lq9b7eajt

And watch the epicenter bitcoin interview with gems today https://plus.google.com/events/c3divjphjj5v0tkf33q6c23l3ak

YES it's important if devs are active and go public to promote their idea. This is how an idea starts to rise and gets promoted to the point that it gets used by teenagers, nxtty doesn't have this and it's not backed by bitcoin neither you can use bitcoin in the app. Again, don't use nxtty as a benchmark

I told you I've read everything GEMS related!

And again I ask you to walk out into the street and ask the first 3 young people if they prefer to use a chat messenger app using the Bitcoin Blockchain or NXT's blockchain. You're not getting it are you, in the mainstream no one cares which is why NXTTY will struggle as will GEMS. I wil keep coming back to say I told you so for the next year.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
TheStandard.io█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 05:20:04 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2014, 10:59:54 PM by peled1986

trolls are no good to any coins

How am I a troll? I simply said getting any real numbers is very difficult which NXTTY has started to find out.

Nobody wants an app build on top of nxt which has been getting scam accusations left and right, gems is backed by Bitcoin which is a huge difference, also nxtty marketing sucked probably big time, who are the devs, are they giving interviews, do they visit conventions, who are they in partnership with? i think it's time for you to start reading first https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758004.msg9625353#msg9625353

It's you joke you are using nxtty as a benchmark

Oh the developers go to Bitcoin conventions and have a youtube interview. My mistake, you are easily going to get a few million downloads now. If I know anything is that teenagers who use apps like this love Bitcoin conventions. lol. You've defined the problem I'm trying to articulate better than I ever could.

BTW I tried to tell people on NXTTY these same inconvenient facts and they said I was just FUD etc as well. Now they can't get past a thousand or so downloads my points aren't looking so stupid now.

How about you read these first
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758004.msg8594258#msg8594258
and here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a129pSWTDWKWt945Un7NyTxTKPiVq5MjGFLs8mIuZug/edit#heading=h.g39lq9b7eajt

And watch the epicenter bitcoin interview with gems today https://plus.google.com/events/c3divjphjj5v0tkf33q6c23l3ak

YES it's important if devs are active and go public to promote their idea. This is how an idea starts to rise and gets promoted to the point that it gets used by teenagers, nxtty doesn't have this and it's not backed by bitcoin neither you can use bitcoin in the app. Again, don't use nxtty as a benchmark

I told you I've read everything GEMS related!

And again I ask you to walk out into the street and ask the first 3 young people if they prefer to use a chat messenger app using the Bitcoin Blockchain or NXT's blockchain. You're not getting it are you, in the mainstream no one cares which is why NXTTY will struggle as will GEMS. I wil keep coming back to say I told you so for the next year.

There is not a single reason someone would bother to download NXTTY. Its a very basic app. Gems built the entire app around the idea of viral marketing. Users get rewarded for inviting people to the network. Gems have an intrinsic value built in as advertising tokens. Gems will be getting bitcoin into the hands of many new people. There has been a lot of planning from the marketing and development with Gems.

@fulcare we agree that reaching a critical mass of users is difficult (for any mobile start up). We expect Gems to take off at the point of being adopted by the first significant autonomous community containing at least 10K daily active members. We work hard to position this bootstrap community to be the cryptocurrency community. Since cryptocurrency activists are more attuned to the Gems compensation model, they form the perfect candidates to induce viral growth to the outskirts of this community at first and then to the general population. Educating about bitcoin and blockchain technology is something many of us take part in, the bottleneck are the tools we currently use in order to bring mainstream users to the ecosystem.

We have two problems with your comparison to nxtty.

(A) saying to two projects are similar is simplifying and misleading. please try answering to yourself the following small list of question regarding nxtty (1) which is more viral, bitcoin or nxt?  (2)  which has more supporters? (3) which has a bigger ecosystem and third party support? (4) how much Venture Capital money was invested in each this year? (5) what is nxtty distribution model? (6) how is nxtty solving scalability issues? (7) is nxtty architecture built to deliver regular instant messaging application user experience? [8] what is nxtty economic model? [9] from what nxttycoins value derived from? (10) what can you do with nxttycoins? (11) what is nxtty marketing plan? (12) why did overstock chose counterparty and not nxt for their Medici project? (this is a very partial list of questions)

(B) After answering to yourself, you will find out that Gems and nxtty are completely different (you will even be surprised that you don't know the answers to some of the important questions above regarding nxtty). But lets say that the two projects were more similar (which they are not), in the end success and failure will be determined by the execution of the project. A good example is mastercoin and counterparty which have the same goals regarding bitcoin 2.0, mastercoin was ahead of time and backed up by ~4500 btc they raised, compared to counterparty which came later and did POB. Counterparty marketcap is X10 higher and the ROI ~X20 above mastercoin.
reRaise

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 05:40:20 PM

^^^ There you go, couldn't agree more

You don't go to the common person talking about blockchain, that's what Gems is trying to get rid of all the technical talk and make everything consumer friendly, and being backed by Bitcoin gives it a stronger foundation and support effect. Try opening a topic in r/bitcoin about nxtty mentioning it's build on top of nxt, it will get deleted or downvoted, about Gems it will get much more accepted.
blg42598

Activity: 867

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 12:32:45 AM

I thought there was an early bird phase?
fulcare

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 06:04:45 AM

Just for insiders with big pockets and small brains. There can be no other reason at all to have such a thing if you will sell at the same price later anyway. Koinify also wants to be some IPO set up away from the great unwashed on this site and straight into the big money players who gravitate to Silicon valley which is where they are set up.

I was registered on the site, got no invite. I expect no one on this thread got an invite cause the early bird stage was to get some big money saps to invest in a comfortable way where they are personally talked to and given the story how this will be the next whatsapp etc. ie people like you and I need not apply.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
TheStandard.io█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
TomKoinify

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 06:58:31 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2014, 07:23:29 AM by TomKoinify

Just for insiders with big pockets and small brains. There can be no other reason at all to have such a thing if you will sell at the same price later anyway. Koinify also wants to be some IPO set up away from the great unwashed on this site and straight into the big money players who gravitate to Silicon valley which is where they are set up.

I was registered on the site, got no invite. I expect no one on this thread got an invite cause the early bird stage was to get some big money saps to invest in a comfortable way where they are personally talked to and given the story how this will be the next whatsapp etc. ie people like you and I need not apply.

There have been 20 people invited to far to the platform, all off our Koinify's subscriber list. No whales, no Silicon Valley VC's. We're releasing more invites day by day, and have been telling everybody to tweet #requestinvite at us for a better chance, otherwise we select from the email subscriber list.

You have not been invited yet. Keep an eye on e-mail inbox or get in contact with us. We're giving invites away. Watch the Epicenter BTC video from today as well.
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 12:03:36 PM

Epicenter Bitcoin interview with Gems is live https://plus.google.com/u/1/events/c3divjphjj5v0tkf33q6c23l3ak

edit*
You can watch a replay here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_n56kcI7jg

I like the trust system to prevent spams and bots.  Can bigger amount of Gems just be store in the app wallet and is it as secure as putting it in a desktop wallet or what is the most secure way to store them?
lawsonvl

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 01:26:53 PM

I got the invite 24hrs ago and bought coins. There are reasons to buy xgem early. Like to show your support.
fulcare

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 01:57:37 PM

I got the invite 24hrs ago and bought coins. There are reasons to buy xgem early. Like to show your support.

You know a newbie account popping up makes this claim seems even more suspect, right?

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
TheStandard.io█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
wktian

Activity: 44
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 02:10:07 PM

is the IM decentralised?Huh?
reRaise

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 02:30:15 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2014, 02:44:33 PM by reRaise

Any chance for the Gems team to partner up with the decentralised market place Openbazaar which is going live early 2015?

Using Openbazaar through Gems would be a pretty neat idea, i think it brings even more users. Since the app already accepts Bitcoin and maybe make it possible to spend Gems in Openbazaar aswell? Is this feature something to consider for the Gems team?
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 02:38:26 PM

The messages services of Gems is based on a distributed instant messaging server which is completely asynchronous to achieve massive scale. This service is implemented on SignalR and OWIN - an open-source stack for running realtime signaling over WebSockets.

Note that every user can chose to be totally anonymous and to have all of his text messages client-client encrypted.

In the future we are thinking about adding public key cryptography. Encrypting messages from a user, to someone else using the recipients public key, that way its tied to the GEM asset and nobody can spy on it.

We also considered integration with other (or additional) blockchains better suited to the capabilities Gems core product requires (maidsafe, Storj, ethereum etc) but the problem is none of them are functional right now. Like we said in the past, we believe that everything that can be decentralized, will be decentralized  - Blockchain technology is the future.

How Are Messages Encrypted

Instant messages in Gems arrive in two flavors - standard and secret. Standard messages are the default type and provide a standard level of security. Secret messages are meant for highly confidential conversations and provide an extreme level of security and privacy. App users can switch between these two flavors for every chat conversation. Making a conversation secret is very easy, and only requires tapping on the "lock" icon inside the app.

Instant messages are encrypted on two levels. The first level of encryption is relevant for both standard and secret messages. For both types, all communications between the Gems mobile app and the Gems instant messaging cloud server are encrypted - this is also referred to as client-server encryption. Communications between the two is performed over SSL in a secure tunnel (HTTPS) with 256-bit keys. This prevents third-parties from listening in. This also prevents man-in-the-middle attacks and makes sure the Gems app only communicates with the real server and not anyone impersonating it.

The second level of encryption is only relevant for secret messages. On top of the client-server encryption, secret messages also have client-client encryption. Every Gems app generates a unique random pair of 4096-bit public/private keys upon installation. The public key is propagated within the network, but the private key never leaves the device. The public/private pair is unique to a device. If the user transfers his Gems account to a new device, a new pair is created. The key pair is also expired and refreshed periodically to enhance security.

When user A sends a secret message to user B, it's encrypted using RSA 4096 with user B's public key. Once the message arrives to user B's device, it's decrypted with B's private key. Decryption can only take place on user B's device because only this device has access to the correct private key.

The benefit of client-client encryption is that it provides a zero trust environment. The encrypted message cannot even be decrypted by the Gems server infrastructure. This means that even if the Gems servers have been compromised and hacked into, secret messages are still 100% private and can only be decrypted by their rightful recipient.

The drawback of secret messages is that they cannot appear in push notifications. Since push notifications are encrypted by Apple's/Google's infrastructure, they don't conform to zero trust policy. When a secret message is sent from user A to user B, the push notification user B receives contains the text "You've received a secret message from A" instead of showing the actual content of the message.
lawsonvl

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 03:33:42 PM

You know a newbie account popping up makes this claim seems even more suspect, right?

Believe what you want, but I've purchased xgems, and it looks like others have done the same.

I only posted to counter your absurd claims against gems and koinify. I can't help that I am new here.
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 04:50:54 PM

Any chance for the Gems team to partner up with the decentralised market place Openbazaar which is going live early 2015?

Using Openbazaar through Gems would be a pretty neat idea, i think it brings even more users. Since the app already accepts Bitcoin and maybe make it possible to spend Gems in Openbazaar aswell? Is this feature something to consider for the Gems team?

Interesting
ticoti

Activity: 854

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 04:58:59 PM

I was subscribed to the newsletters but I haven't received any invite  Sad
reRaise

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 05:04:03 PM

Interesting

Since Gems can be sent to a Bitcoin address aswell, maybe it's possible to spend Gems on openbazaar too?
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 05:37:25 PM

The messages services of Gems is based on a distributed instant messaging server which is completely asynchronous to achieve massive scale. This service is implemented on SignalR and OWIN - an open-source stack for running realtime signaling over WebSockets.

Note that every user can chose to be totally anonymous and to have all of his text messages client-client encrypted.

In the future we are thinking about adding public key cryptography. Encrypting messages from a user, to someone else using the recipients public key, that way its tied to the GEM asset and nobody can spy on it.

We also considered integration with other (or additional) blockchains better suited to the capabilities Gems core product requires (maidsafe, Storj, ethereum etc) but the problem is none of them are functional right now. Like we said in the past, we believe that everything that can be decentralized, will be decentralized  - Blockchain technology is the future.

How Are Messages Encrypted

Instant messages in Gems arrive in two flavors - standard and secret. Standard messages are the default type and provide a standard level of security. Secret messages are meant for highly confidential conversations and provide an extreme level of security and privacy. App users can switch between these two flavors for every chat conversation. Making a conversation secret is very easy, and only requires tapping on the "lock" icon inside the app.

Instant messages are encrypted on two levels. The first level of encryption is relevant for both standard and secret messages. For both types, all communications between the Gems mobile app and the Gems instant messaging cloud server are encrypted - this is also referred to as client-server encryption. Communications between the two is performed over SSL in a secure tunnel (HTTPS) with 256-bit keys. This prevents third-parties from listening in. This also prevents man-in-the-middle attacks and makes sure the Gems app only communicates with the real server and not anyone impersonating it.

The second level of encryption is only relevant for secret messages. On top of the client-server encryption, secret messages also have client-client encryption. Every Gems app generates a unique random pair of 4096-bit public/private keys upon installation. The public key is propagated within the network, but the private key never leaves the device. The public/private pair is unique to a device. If the user transfers his Gems account to a new device, a new pair is created. The key pair is also expired and refreshed periodically to enhance security.

When user A sends a secret message to user B, it's encrypted using RSA 4096 with user B's public key. Once the message arrives to user B's device, it's decrypted with B's private key. Decryption can only take place on user B's device because only this device has access to the correct private key.

The benefit of client-client encryption is that it provides a zero trust environment. The encrypted message cannot even be decrypted by the Gems server infrastructure. This means that even if the Gems servers have been compromised and hacked into, secret messages are still 100% private and can only be decrypted by their rightful recipient.

The drawback of secret messages is that they cannot appear in push notifications. Since push notifications are encrypted by Apple's/Google's infrastructure, they don't conform to zero trust policy. When a secret message is sent from user A to user B, the push notification user B receives contains the text "You've received a secret message from A" instead of showing the actual content of the message.

Good thinking forward already
TomKoinify

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 07:02:26 PM

More invites going out today. Tweet @ us #requestinvite for a better chance!
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 07:57:31 PM

I'll get them on Dec 1st, is there any advantage in getting an invite?
TomKoinify

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 08:30:45 PM

I'll get them on Dec 1st, is there any advantage in getting an invite?

Just physically buying early - no price or competitive advantage compared to the first 48 hours starting Dec 1st.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 282 »
  Print  

Jump to: