Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:52:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Continue Anniversary Giveaway in spite of delays?
yes - 33 (76.7%)
no - 10 (23.3%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: « 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... 203 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANN: [OPAL] | POS | Secure Messaging |NO ICO  (Read 383376 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (1 post by 1+ user deleted.)
bitbollox

Activity: 361
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:25:51 PM

nice one cheers
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
altcoin.center

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 05:07:59 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2015, 04:16:13 PM by altcoin.center

Hi!

what wallet version is in the op? I ask as my wallet v1.1.0.0 hasnt been able to sync for 2 days now, if its not that,does anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: These instructions have been updated 2015-01-06.

Opal version 1.1.0.0 is the correct one. It does appear that Github already has code for version 1.3, but compiled wallets available at Opal-coin.com are 1.1.0.0.

Current version of the Opalcoin wallet is 1.3.0.0. Make sure you download the wallet from the official download links at Opal-coin.com.

Adding Altcoin.Center's seed nodes to the configuration file opalcoin.conf and re-downloading the whole block chain should help you get synchronized. Your coins are safe as long as you keep the wallet.dat file backed up.

The following instructions will walk you through creating an opalcoin.conf configuration file and re-downloading the block chain.

First make sure your Opalcoin wallet is not running; if it is, shut it down.

Locate the Opalcoin data folder. The location depends on which operating system you're using:

- In Windows, the Opalcoin data folder is C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Opalcoin. The AppData folder is hidden, and in order to make it visible at Windows File Explorer, you must go to the View tab and make sure the Hidden items check box is checked.

- In Mac OS X, the Opalcoin data folder is /Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Opalcoin. The Library folder is hidden, and in order to make it visible at Finder, you must open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type the following command to the Terminal window, followed by enter: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES. You will then have to log out and back in to make Finder aware of the configuration change.

- In Linux, the Opalcoin data folder is ~yourusername/.opalcoin

Inside the Opalcoin data folder, you should see four folders and a handful of files. The folders are named database, smsgDB, smsgStore and txleveldb. The names of the files are blk0001.dat, db.log, debug.log, peers.dat and wallet.dat.

Now create a folder named #BACKUP inside the Opalcoin data folder, and move all other files and folders there except the file wallet.dat. Afterwards, your Opalcoin data folder should now only contain the file wallet.dat - the rest of the files should be in the #BACKUP subfolder.

Start a text editor. In Windows you can use Notepad, in OS X TextEdit, and in Linux which ever text editor your distribution happens to provide.

Paste the following lines to the text editor:

gen=0
daemon=1
dnsseed=1

server=1
rpcport=51990
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcuser=opalcoinrpc
rpcpassword=ChangeThisToARandomStringOfCharactersAndNumbers

checklevel=4
checkblocks=777
checkpoints=1

addnode=seeds.altcoin.center
addnode=seeds.altcoincenter.eu
addnode=seeds.altcoincenter.us

addnode=192.99.111.227
addnode=198.50.151.86
addnode=5.196.226.54
addnode=5.196.29.188

Make sure to change the contents of the rpcpassword parameter in the file into a string of random characters and numbers, i.e. 8cJfDgtMoA6ZRMcsbFDWeT

Save the file with the name opalcoin.conf inside the Opalcoin data folder. Some text editors add a .txt suffix to the file name, so after saving, make sure the file is named opalcoin.conf and not opalcoin.conf.txt.

Finally, start your Opalcoin wallet again.

Your wallet should now connect to the Opal network and start downloading the block chain.

- Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center

Altcoin.Center - Hard Core Crypto Professionals: https://altcoin.center/
Ridiculously Secure - The Ultimate Crypto Wallet Vault: https://altcoin.center/ridiculous/
Crypto Shop: Only the highest quality - only with cryptos! https://cryptoshop.altcoin.center/
fontline

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:58:06 AM

my wallet is v1.3.0.0 from opal-coin.com direct dl, no compiling. opal wallet without trading. just the opaque one. don't know if in-wallet-trading is still 1.1.0

i don't have problems with the blockchain. i had it a few weeks ago and redownloaded the chain. since then no problems

OPAL: oaRVkQHKTK6B6o3kriBJnYXz2EMrkPKDUq
roozifus

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 10:42:04 AM

my wallet is v1.3.0.0 from opal-coin.com direct dl, no compiling. opal wallet without trading. just the opaque one. don't know if in-wallet-trading is still 1.1.0

i don't have problems with the blockchain. i had it a few weeks ago and redownloaded the chain. since then no problems

Same here.
altcoin.center

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 04:13:50 PM

You are right and I was wrong - version 1.3.0.0 is the current one.

I updated the instructions in my previous post to reflect that and modified them to include the re-downloading of the block chain.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=778720.msg10054095#msg10054095

- Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center

Ridiculously Secure - The Ultimate Crypto Wallet Vault: https://altcoin.center/ridiculous/
Crypto Shop: Only the highest quality - only with cryptos! https://cryptoshop.altcoin.center/
Voidlord

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:23:26 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 03:03:06 AM by Voidlord

thank you for the edit Jyri.

E=(ɔ)mc²
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1147

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 10:22:48 AM

OPAL will soon be added to CryptoCloudhosting.org - Thanks for your community request.

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 11:51:26 AM

OPAL has been added to cryptocloudhosting.org

ClutchThese

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:13:23 PM

Oh nice! This is a good add right here.

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
2fresh

Activity: 782
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:21:29 PM

Yeah that looks pretty nice i must say.
etoque
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:34:26 PM

^

Good,more visibility for us Smiley
batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 06:14:30 PM

Oh nice! This is a good add right here.

Thanks guys. Any feedback is welcome as we are always looking at improving.

Nice to see our first OPAL order already !!!

OpalTeam (OP)

Activity: 262

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 01:32:43 AM

Thank you batesresearch for adding OPAL!

CryptoNick
Legendary

Activity: 987
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 12:31:57 PM

The BitStamp hack makes me wonder if there would be a way to Track the stolen coin and BlackList it from entering Exchanges/Cooperative Merchants, and if it did enter an exchange it could be confiscated. I know everyone will go all up in arms about centralization etc. but there is a real need for this. If a coin could nullify a hack attempt or at least show the capability, then it would render hack attempts useless. Since the only time someone would want to use this measure would be to lock down coin and corner it and red flag transactions into merchants to seize the coin and return it. More to protect the large exchanges and anyone dealing in volume with substantial exposure.

The coin could list itself in every wallet and warn against usage or just transact out for that matter.

The only cases where it could be used would be towards Exchanges and/or proven hacks. Someone couldn't just issue, lets call it a BitMarshal to coin the phrase, without recourse. I think that a team who could come up with a way to accomplish this would do a favor the the CryptoWorld as a whole. Having a disputed transaction would not be on the list, but a hack or malware proven scenario could be warranted.

It really comes down to the people who don't like the ability to use this type of function would be the ones perpetuating the instability and uncertainty of security for the future of crypto. It is really the main reason I would hold back investing other than the sheer manipulation of the markets going on. Along with the dominance of BitCoin by certain groups which begs the question of centralization in the first place but that is accepted by the same people who would be up in arms about this idea.

And if people didn't want to use this coin because of this capability then so what, they would be siding with hackers and these people can use other coins and unsecured networks no big deal since you either want recourse or you don't.

Just an idea in general and I don't mean to stir up controversy again, just curious if this would be something worth considering to tackle?
altcoin.center

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 12:56:26 PM

The BitStamp hack makes me wonder if there would be a way to Track the stolen coin and BlackList it from entering Exchanges/Cooperative Merchants, and if it did enter an exchange it could be confiscated. I know everyone will go all up in arms about centralization etc. but there is a real need for this. If a coin could nullify a hack attempt or at least show the capability, then it would render hack attempts useless. Since the only time someone would want to use this measure would be to lock down coin and corner it and red flag transactions into merchants to seize the coin and return it. More to protect the large exchanges and anyone dealing in volume with substantial exposure.

A very interesting idea indeed, CryptoNick!

I too understand very well why people are so fiercely against anything hinting towards centralization, and I've actually used huge amount of brain power to come up with a system that would allow crypto currencies to boot strap without any seed nodes at all, but the fact remains that at the moment not a single crypto currency is actually fully decentralized - referring to the fact that seed nodes are still very much needed. Also, being able to blacklist stolen coins would actually not have to happen in a centralized way.

It's a challenging task - and my personal problem #1 is that I love to take on such. =D

Even if it would never be implemented, I'd still like to keep the discussion about this idea going.

- Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center

CryptoNick
Legendary

Activity: 987
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:33:40 PM

A very interesting idea indeed, CryptoNick!

I too understand very well why people are so fiercely against anything hinting towards centralization, and I've actually used huge amount of brain power to come up with a system that would allow crypto currencies to boot strap without any seed nodes at all, but the fact remains that at the moment not a single crypto currency is actually fully decentralized - referring to the fact that seed nodes are still very much needed. Also, being able to blacklist stolen coins would actually not have to happen in a centralized way.

It's a challenging task - and my personal problem #1 is that I love to take on such. =D

Even if it would never be implemented, I'd still like to keep the discussion about this idea going.

- Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center

Excellent! I almost didn't post that, but now I am glad I did. This is the kind of response we need, at least attempt to do the right thing and make things safer and secure! Thanks for sharing your perspective on the seed nodes! I am still beginning to understand the complexities.

When I think about all the resources that make BitCoin possible, initially I didn't realize how much of the infrastructure is privately owned vs now corporate and even in a perfect world someone has to pay the electric bill and internet access etc. and who is to say who owns what and how much, since it is nameless and faceless, just a bunch of numbers. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! lol
RCan06

Activity: 325
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:09:06 AM

It's definitely an interesting idea, I think the problem becomes when would you consider it necessary to flag coins (what amount of stolen coins), and who would ultimately have the power to do that, and how would you get ALL exchanges and merchants to cooperate?

Also a problem may be, when do those coins become un-blacklisted? When they are returned, what if they are never returned?
I think the idea works better with fiat currency (like say ink packs exploding in a bank robbery) because there is essentially an unlimited amount, you can just ignore the void currency and print new currency, but with bitcoin/any coin, you would be limiting the number over time if those coins sat there blacklisted.

Also if even one exchange didn't follow the procedure it would negate the idea. There are also ways to disguise Bitcoins (using a coin tumbler, or buying and selling an altcoin). These ideas make crypto so fascinating, but challenging to possibly implement ideas like these imo.

One way I could see it possibly working, is if wallets would automatically update blacklisted coins (or addresses) in real time, similar to how an anti virus software automatically updates its virus definition list to keep up to date. Then it would be an automatic process for anyone with a bitcoin-qt wallet or similar. (I think this was what you were thinking as well CryptoNick)

But again, I think another problem is, if you have measures like these in place, it may be taken as a safety net and exchanges may slack on security knowing that if they f'd up, there would be a possibility of having those coins returned anyway. I think ultimately it's best to address the problem at the source, which is, how do you make crypto more secure from hacks, rather then how to contain them.

Just my 2 sats on the idea!  Smiley
altcoin.center

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 12:48:46 AM

Just my 2 sats on the idea!  Smiley

Excellent points, RCan06!

I totally agree with you that in the end the final solutions have to do with coming up with methods that remedy the problem at it's roots instead of trying to patch the symptoms.

I've been working on couple of potential way to enhance the trust issues in ways that would not compromise the P2P nature of cryptos. One of the ideas revolves around applying a PGP style signing of blocks and public keys by all users - i.e. automatically building a P2P web of trust. This does not prevent anyone from stealing coins, but it would help a lot in minimizing other problems such as accidental forking of the block chain. Since cryptos are all about asymmetric encryption already, it would be a relatively small step to take yet the effects and implications could be huge.

The problem is I have so much going on that I'd need an army of R&D capable developers and software designers to actually take on testing and implementing this stuff. Without any exaggeration at all, I'm trying to do the work of at least a dozen people alone. I'm definitely not complaining (I just love all this!) but the fact is that I'm much more of a designer and coordinator than a coder. The moment my financial situation allows it, I'll be hiring platoons of people. =)

-j.
--
Altcoin.Center

ClutchThese

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:26:28 AM

I'm sure it's been suggested before, somewhere. But what about a wallet with 2fa?

For instance: when you install a wallet, you use google authentication to generate a key and that rolling key is linked to your wallet.

This way if someone steals a wallet, they would need the 2fa to install the wallet locally before they can transfer coins from that wallet.

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
altcoin.center

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 02:30:25 AM

I'm sure it's been suggested before, somewhere. But what about a wallet with 2fa?

For instance: when you install a wallet, you use google authentication to generate a key and that rolling key is linked to your wallet.

This way if someone steals a wallet, they would need the 2fa to install the wallet locally before they can transfer coins from that wallet.

Very interesting!

-j.
--
Altcoin.Center

Pages: « 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... 203 »
  Print  

Jump to: