Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:51:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Continue Anniversary Giveaway in spite of delays?
yes - 33 (76.7%)
no - 10 (23.3%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: « 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 203 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANN: [OPAL] | POS | Secure Messaging |NO ICO  (Read 383377 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (1 post by 1+ user deleted.)
CryptoNick
Legendary

Activity: 987
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:46:08 AM

Also a problem may be, when do those coins become un-blacklisted? When they are returned, what if they are never returned?
Yeah it really depends on if implementing it to BitCoin or creating a whole new coin. If dealing with BitCoin then what could happen would be a Confiscation at the Exchange level and an Alert when someone gets that coin for a product or service. The extension of the wallet would see that these were stolen funds and they were sent to a wallet for goods, which will be an unsuspecting merchant. At this point the merchant doesn't ship the goods and retains the BitCoin to transfer back to the initial owner. Once they hit a participating wallet the funds are snatched up and sent to the rightful owner who was hacked. Kind of like a trust network relationship. This is mostly for Large scale hacks that could cripple the economy. Could work on large and small though but to your point who and when is it used.

Also if even one exchange didn't follow the procedure it would negate the idea. There are also ways to disguise Bitcoins (using a coin tumbler, or buying and selling an altcoin). These ideas make crypto so fascinating, but challenging to possibly implement ideas like these imo.
All tumblers would have to enable the BitMarshal service. Once the coin hits it goes back to the hacked wallet or mediators wallet. You could not buy or sell alt coins with this service in place since the funds would be seized at the exchange level.

One way I could see it possibly working, is if wallets would automatically update blacklisted coins (or addresses) in real time, similar to how an anti virus software automatically updates its virus definition list to keep up to date. Then it would be an automatic process for anyone with a bitcoin-qt wallet or similar. (I think this was what you were thinking as well CryptoNick)
Yes this was kind of along the lines I was thinking, or if a new coin just create a function that goes to every wallet and transacts out the coin if proven it was hacked.

But again, I think another problem is, if you have measures like these in place, it may be taken as a safety net and exchanges may slack on security knowing that if they f'd up, there would be a possibility of having those coins returned anyway. I think ultimately it's best to address the problem at the source, which is, how do you make crypto more secure from hacks, rather then how to contain them.

Just my 2 sats on the idea!  Smiley

Possibly they would let their guard down, but get this now... If you are a hacker and you know any coins you take will be confiscated back, why would you even attempt the hack in the first place.  The hacker has no way out of the system and can not profit. Some of these exchanges are also kind of suspect like they would rob themselves and blame it on hackers, and take their users money. So BitMarshal would also negate these scenarios too.

Thanks for your response, asking these types of questions is what would make it a better solution in the end.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoNick
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:49:53 AM

I'm sure it's been suggested before, somewhere. But what about a wallet with 2fa?

For instance: when you install a wallet, you use google authentication to generate a key and that rolling key is linked to your wallet.

This way if someone steals a wallet, they would need the 2fa to install the wallet locally before they can transfer coins from that wallet.

If you lose your 2fa you would lose your wallet...
bassguitarman

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 04:16:16 AM

https://medium.com/@redditbass/cryptocurrency-fungibility-and-the-case-of-the-missing-coins-e78580792807

I made a post explaining why coin-blocking is not a good idea
CryptoNick
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:26:32 AM

Thanks for that article Bass...

Yes to block an address would do no good. We are talking about the transactions subsequent to a hack and their totals being tracked and confiscated, the coin would still exist so there is no bad or good coins just bad transactions. The hack would be verified and proved, then the coin could confiscate itself (if written into every wallet) and these actions are only taken after a mediator group oversaw it, kind of like the devs so to speak. It is stolen money. So to use the coin would be to agree to its functions and ability to confiscate. People who don't want the ability would not use the coin. Therefore Hackers could target coins that don't use this feature and people who want security would use this feature. It would be market demand. Guess where the money would go to and where the hackers would leave from. Everything doesn't have to be one way and not another.

I guess the instant it was hacked there would be time to tumble etc. but you could opt your coin out of tumbler or something. I don't know for sure how it would need to work to be fool proof.

BitCoins are still centralized even though they appear decentralized, and when you think about how BitCoin came about essentially legalizing it made many criminals rich, this is akin to Banksters getting rich with impunity. So instead of Bank Criminals now Black Market Criminals were rewarded or even the Government since they are the biggest criminals of them all, which is why they legalized BitCoin in the first place. BitCoin could have also put the economy back on track with the purchase of computer equipment and power so it could have just been a smart move for the Gov. There are so many facets.

We are stuck with either Whales manipulating prices of BitCoin and controlling the financial markets or companies in control of the Hashing moving the markets at their whim. It really comes down to wow look how greedy everyone is, and all we really wanted to do is be able to use the ideals set forth by decentralizing and creating a better currency for all to use. There is way more controversy however we may look at it. It was kind of tongue n cheek to start with hoping most people who don't understand the underpinnings just think yeah everything is decentralized.

If you didn't hack your coin to get it then you would have nothing to worry about ever. All other transactions would be valid and if there were also a need for small claims then by all means courts could use the power. But the funds would have to have been frozen right away prior to litigation.

So if we allow BitMarshal as an option for people to choose from then they would at least have a choice at that point. It is really something to consider if it is done properly. I don't know all the intricacies but someone could play chess with the idea enough to make it viable even if became its own coin.
ClutchThese

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:22:45 PM

I'm sure it's been suggested before, somewhere. But what about a wallet with 2fa?

For instance: when you install a wallet, you use google authentication to generate a key and that rolling key is linked to your wallet.

This way if someone steals a wallet, they would need the 2fa to install the wallet locally before they can transfer coins from that wallet.

If you lose your wallet, you lose your wallet.... What's the difference?

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:28:36 PM

Because with 2FA, peeps expect a reset to be able to be made. Which would be a false sense of security because with a decentralised space, you will have noone to go to.
ClutchThese

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:34:11 PM

Because with 2FA, peeps expect a reset to be able to be made. Which would be a false sense of security because with a decentralised space, you will have noone to go to.

With 2fa, you have a recovery option. Just because you lose a phone with your 2fa, doesn't mean it's gone for good.  My guess is you've never gone through that.

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:49:00 PM

With 2fa, you have a recovery option. Just because you lose a phone with your 2fa, doesn't mean it's gone for good.  My guess is you've never gone through that.
True. Because I have a duplicate set-up on a second phone solely as a 2FA back-up.
etoque
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:01:03 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2015, 07:11:22 PM by etoque

Opal sphere seems anemic since a couple days,work are still steady ? Smiley

A big bunch of people getting distract from opal when it was too quiet like this
0bert

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:09:00 PM

Opal are anemic since a couple days,work are still steady ? Smiley
I bet they do!   Smiley
bassguitarman

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:18:09 PM

A big bunch of people getting distract from opal when it was too quiet like this

We're having static linking errors with QT webkit dynamic libs.  Once that's resolved, fully integrated supernet wallet will be out.

Any mac users can pm me, as that's compiled
etoque
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:19:01 PM

We're having static linking errors with QT webkit dynamic libs.  Once that's resolved, fully integrated supernet wallet will be out.

Thanks for this update,its all thats I want Smiley
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1148

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 07:49:07 PM

Have a crypto based charity and need web hosting?

If Your website is for a crypto charity, or in some way works for the good of others, then visit cryptocloudhosting.org/charity-hosting for free hosting!

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
Voidlord

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:06:47 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 12:35:03 AM by Voidlord

Bitstamp up, let'see...

Nejc Kodrič (CEO) wrote the downtime was quite long because they had to install the Bitstamp systems from a safe backup on new hardware, which allow them to keep the corrupted one as evidence, to integrate Multi-sig and Amazon web services.

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitstamp-is-open-for-business-better-than-ever/

E=(ɔ)mc²
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1148

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 08:09:32 PM

Have a crypto based charity and need web hosting?

If Your website is for a crypto charity, or in some way works for the good of others, then visit cryptocloudhosting.org/charity-hosting for free hosting!

we will be in touch, we also have a contingent of cause-coins who will also be informed.

Excellent we await your message, thanks.

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
altcoin.center

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 06:08:32 AM

Hi!

I'm quoting myself from the DOPE thread. Relates to OPAL as well, at lest from my point of view.

Glanced at bittrex for shits and giggles and DAMN!  Hate to spill the haterade in here but damn I'm glad im out.  Slaughter on bittrex, with delist to boot.

I do understand and am genuinely happy you didn't have to take any losses. Then again my own perspective is very different from those who mostly the the altcoin scene as a means to make more or less immediate profit.

The reason I'm putting so much energy into development of DOPE and other cryptos is a very long running process that has been going on for ages: that of developing open and functional currency systems to replace the biggest scam in the history of mankind called fractional reserve banking.

Although I have nothing against people looking at the values of the gazillions of coins out there, my personal take is that we're still possibly years away from the point when the value (compared to fiat) is worth giving much notion at all. What needs to be done first is the establishment of a solid foundation on which the cryptos can build upon.

While the technical level development of block chain based technologies has been absolutely beautiful to watch, the foundations have, for the most part, not been laid out at all. This is normal to any new technology driven innovation and it's not a problem per se, yet it does mean that the groundwork still has to be done sooner or later. I prefer sooner, which is why my focus has been and will be in doing just that, not worrying (at all) of the short term price fluctuations.

The moment we witness the collapse of the fiat currencies is the moment when those who have invested in crypto (either in the form of money or brain power) will start to get really wealthy. It's impossible to say when that will happen and which coins are going to be the ones the mankind as a whole chooses to trust, but happen it will and the choice of the coins can be affected by making sure that the currencies one decides to invest in are the ones that have what it takes (both technically and otherwise) to really make it big.

Hence my decision to keep investing in DOPE as well as the few carefully selected coins Altcoin.Center is supporting and working with.

- Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=467641.msg10110940#msg10110940

Altcoin.Center - Hard Core Crypto Professionals: https://altcoin.center/
Ridiculously Secure - The Ultimate Crypto Wallet Vault: https://altcoin.center/ridiculous/
Crypto Shop: Only the highest quality - only with cryptos! https://cryptoshop.altcoin.center/
ZaoXhou

Activity: 467
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:34:29 PM

We're having static linking errors with QT webkit dynamic libs.  Once that's resolved, fully integrated supernet wallet will be out.

Its the good, I love it.
QFT

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:58:25 PM

Im sure there will be some good releases coming.  Grin
NoobKidOnTheBlock

Activity: 770

FLY DONATION ADDRESS IN SIGNATURE

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:24:48 PM

Im sure there will be some good releases coming.  Grin
Hey just a question outta curiosity because I am an OPAL investor, but what ever happened to the marketplace? Is it actually up and running or did they abandon that project? If anyone could update me on this that would be greatly appreciated Smiley Cheers

▇▇▇

▇▇

▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇
............NoobKidOnThe.BLOCK.....

RCan06

Activity: 325
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:05:38 PM

Im sure there will be some good releases coming.  Grin
Hey just a question outta curiosity because I am an OPAL investor, but what ever happened to the marketplace? Is it actually up and running or did they abandon that project? If anyone could update me on this that would be greatly appreciated Smiley Cheers

It has never gone anywhere since its been released > http://market.opal-coin.com/

Markets are only as good as investors make them though, I'm sure the opal team is working on other developments right now, and will likely come back to the market at a later date. Until then, as far as I'm aware, anyone can buy or sell on it right now in its current state.The infrastructure is all there, and has been for quite some time now.

Cheers
Pages: « 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 203 »
  Print  

Jump to: