Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:37:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 ... 302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh)  (Read 466758 times)
onsightit

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

truth=(true?true:false);

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 05:12:32 PM

I currently have 8.9 spendable coins and the rest are staking.

So basically, your wallet is now doing nothing but waiting for some other wallets to find the blocks up to 500 confirms for each of the Interest rewards your coins got and thus release your staked coins to be able to work & find new blocks.

I think I need to brush up on my understanding of Post because I was under the impression that staked coins were the coins actually doing the work. While coins that were earning stake time were simply aging for a specific amount of time before they could actually be staked again, thus giving others with staked coins a chance to earn interest. Is this not correct?

At the beginning, did you have any staked (under Staking)? No one did. In my wallet, as well as yours I bet, every time interest was awarded for a block found, the portion of Spendable coins that found that block went to Staking, and can't be used for neither spending nor finding a block. That's what I observe. That's why I raised the important question - what happens when all Spendable balances from all online wallets go to Zero, and no one's staked coins are back to Spendable yet because none have been confirmed completely? Who then finds next block?

Yes, my wallet was/is behaving exactly as you've outlined. The point I'm trying to make, or understand, is regardless of how they're labelled in the wallet, the staked coins are the ones actually doing work, hence they're the ones finding blocks. If that is correct, then it doesn't matter if your Spendable amount is zero.

If what your'e saying is correct and only coins under Spendable are actually doing the work, then yes there is potential for a deadlock scenario. Surely PoST would have been designed to nagivate around just this kind of scenario though?

Never saw this scenario, even on a small testnet with 5 nodes.

-Steve

In PoW mining, the feedback that maintains the 1 minute target is achieved by varying the difficulty according to the hashpower currently working on that blockchain.
In the current PoST implementation we have, what is the feedback used to maintain the target block rate?

Same concept in PoS.  The difficulty is adjusted.

-Steve

So why do we see max 4 blocks per hour all the time? In PoW, we see ~1 block per minute almost independent of the mining power. Are the difficulty adjustment parameters set correctly? According to what you say difficulty should be changed to ~(current difficulty)/12~14

Not enough people staking and the coins have not spread out in those that are staking (what I refer to as network maturity).

SLR difficulty" :
"proof-of-work" : 2.24690335,
"proof-of-stake" : 0.00024414,

VRC difficulty" :
"proof-of-work" : 132.57598028,
"proof-of-stake" : 0.36293203,

-Steve

VRC: VMTMcvFjZHAshmVNLY5KYVHCTqcfEnH6Bd  SLR: 8W7D6D7rortYp51BK9MSrfripSoZWyVPVr  BTC: 1LbgAsTDtyWEGjiSaguJhJbaHBPgcMnHfP  BCC: 1Ta39PK67VXTD2xnmPNo5J9KJyBVHdYmy
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
y_virtual

Activity: 377
Merit: 251

Note to self: it's not you doing it, it's us.

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 05:17:16 PM

So basically, your wallet is now doing nothing but waiting for some other wallets to find the blocks up to 500 confirms for each of the Interest rewards your coins got and thus release your staked coins to be able to work & find new blocks.

I think I need to brush up on my understanding of Post because I was under the impression that staked coins were the coins actually doing the work. While coins that were earning stake time were simply aging for a specific amount of time before they could actually be staked again, thus giving others with staked coins a chance to earn interest. Is this not correct?

At the beginning, did you have any staked (under Staking)? No one did. In my wallet, as well as yours I bet, every time interest was awarded for a block found, the portion of Spendable coins that found that block went to Staking, and can't be used for neither spending nor finding a block. That's what I observe. That's why I raised the important question - what happens when all Spendable balances from all online wallets go to Zero, and no one's staked coins are back to Spendable yet because none have been confirmed completely? Who then finds next block?

Yes, my wallet was/is behaving exactly as you've outlined. The point I'm trying to make, or understand, is regardless of how they're labelled in the wallet, the staked coins are the ones actually doing work, hence they're the ones finding blocks. If that is correct, then it doesn't matter if your Spendable amount is zero.

If what your'e saying is correct and only coins under Spendable are actually doing the work, then yes there is potential for a deadlock scenario. Surely PoST would have been designed to nagivate around just this kind of scenario though?

-Steve

In PoW mining, the feedback that maintains the 1 minute target is achieved by varying the difficulty according to the hashpower currently working on that blockchain.
In the current PoST implementation we have, what is the feedback used to maintain the target block rate?

-Steve

So why do we see max 4 blocks per hour all the time? In PoW, we see ~1 block per minute almost independent of the mining power. Are the difficulty adjustment parameters set correctly? According to what you say difficulty should be changed to ~(current difficulty)/12~14

Not enough people staking and the coins have not spread out in those that are staking (what I refer to as network maturity).

SLR difficulty" :

VRC difficulty" :

-Steve

What I am saying is that if there are "no enough" miners, difficulty goes down so that still we do have 1 block per minute. You said that is the case in PoS, too. But results show it is not. Do you want to say when there are MORE people staking, difficulty will go down to increase the number of blocks per hour? That is where math does not add up.

Edit: let me put it in other words: what you said is that we should always have the same number of blocks per a period of time - just like in PoW.
So we now have <=4 blocks/hour. So your words mean we will always have <=4 blocks per hour, independent of the number of wallets.
onsightit

Activity: 308

truth=(true?true:false);

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 02:57:50 AM

-Steve

-Steve

SLR difficulty" :

VRC difficulty" :

-Steve

What I am saying is that if there are "no enough" miners, difficulty goes down so that still we do have 1 block per minute. You said that is the case in PoS, too. But results show it is not. Do you want to say when there are MORE people staking, difficulty will go down to increase the number of blocks per hour? That is where math does not add up.

Edit: let me put it in other words: what you said is that we should always have the same number of blocks per a period of time - just like in PoW.
So we now have <=4 blocks/hour. So your words mean we will always have <=4 blocks per hour, independent of the number of wallets.

In PoST, the more wallets staking, the higher the network stake weight, so the difficulty will rise.

The block rate will increase when two things happen:  1) The 1.5 wallets start staking.  2) More blocks are created, spreading out the coin ages as the coins are split up more, and more.

-Steve

VRC: VMTMcvFjZHAshmVNLY5KYVHCTqcfEnH6Bd  SLR: 8W7D6D7rortYp51BK9MSrfripSoZWyVPVr  BTC: 1LbgAsTDtyWEGjiSaguJhJbaHBPgcMnHfP  BCC: 1Ta39PK67VXTD2xnmPNo5J9KJyBVHdYmy
babbey

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 03:57:57 AM

Quick question (that I think was asked before but got lost): does re-scanning the wallet reset the stake time for those coins?

Not that it really matters if they're not earning any interest anyway, but I'm a bit reluctant to re-scan if it means it will set me back at all... Smiley
y_virtual

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 04:12:08 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 04:59:31 AM by y_virtual

-Steve

-Steve

SLR difficulty" :

VRC difficulty" :

-Steve

In PoST, the more wallets staking, the higher the network stake weight, so the difficulty will rise.

The block rate will increase when two things happen:  1) The 1.5 wallets start staking.  2) More blocks are created, spreading out the coin ages as the coins are split up more, and more.

-Steve

Thank you Steve!
But you did say difficulty IS the feedback to keep the block rate at the target level.
Why don't we see it doing its work? According to all said so far, Difficulty Adjustment is the mechanism that keeps the block rate at a specified target level. The LESS wallets staking, difficulty MUST go down accordingly, to keep the SPECIFIED target block rate.
I open an issue here (will also post to the Issues doc, along with all other unresolved important issues so far)
Issue:
Difficulty Adjustment algo is not working properly to keep the Target Block Rate Level set for Solar Coin - 1 block per minute.
Please investigate.
Thanks!
y_virtual

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 05:15:52 AM

Quick question (that I think was asked before but got lost): does re-scanning the wallet reset the stake time for those coins?

Not that it really matters if they're not earning any interest anyway, but I'm a bit reluctant to re-scan if it means it will set me back at all... Smiley

No it doesn't, at least haven't noticed it. Which is good  Smiley
y_virtual

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 05:47:12 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 06:28:10 AM by y_virtual

Bleutrade hasn't updated their wallets yet. They are on the wrong chain.
It looks like someone has been mining coins past 835000 , and is currently trying to sell them on bleutrade right now!

I was also wondering about chains - right and wrong. Transactions to Bleutrade seem to work from 2.0.5 (or..do they? re-checking on that right now...)

FYI: I am getting MiningPoolHub rewards in my 2.0.5 wallet - these are for my undesired, but still needed 1.5 PoW backup support - until PoST starts working according to SPECS. These are ~200-220 SLR per day. They get confirmed, in 2.0.5. For 1.5 mining.... So that really makes me wonder...
Anyways, total PoW output can't exceed ~720 SLR/day since the beginning of 2015.

About the Bleutrade coins for sale you noticed - these ARE mine. They should pay for my electricity bills for last 2 months of mining SLR.
Thanks!

user_fred

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 05:52:05 AM

Hi, Why staking taking so looooong ? I am waiting since 2 days (fresh install and rescan) ...still "in sync"mode.
On the mac version, did anyone succeed to stake ?
I am about to resign staking if i always have to care about switching off my wallet and wait 2 days long before it kicks in.

@: 8cfscmSGjePDWwu6w5kbMbACwHhybLrawk
§1 = 1MWh
y_virtual

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:41:09 AM

Hi, Why staking taking so looooong ? I am waiting since 2 days (fresh install and rescan) ...still "in sync"mode.
I am about to resign staking if i always have to care about switching off my wallet and wait 2 days long before it kicks in.

This is related to the issue I posted above:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=785257.msg12568888#msg12568888
Difficulty should self-adjust according to the current number of staking coins at any given moment, so that the block rate meets the 1 block per minute target, as specified for the SolarCoin blockchain. Right now, we get 4-5 blocks per hour, which corresponds to a ~12 times higher difficulty than expected - and not even sure if difficulty actually adjusts at all. So we wait 12 times longer than we should.
solarcoiner

Activity: 445

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 08:31:04 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 08:56:42 AM by solarcoiner

It looks like someone has been mining coins past 835000 , and is currently trying to sell them on bleutrade right now!

I was also wondering about chains - right and wrong. Transactions to Bleutrade seem to work from 2.0.5 (or..do they? re-checking on that right now...)

FYI: I am getting MiningPoolHub rewards in my 2.0.5 wallet - these are for my undesired, but still needed 1.5 PoW backup support - until PoST starts working according to SPECS. These are ~200-220 SLR per day. They get confirmed, in 2.0.5. For 1.5 mining.... So that really makes me wonder...
Anyways, total PoW output can't exceed ~720 SLR/day since the beginning of 2015.

About the Bleutrade coins for sale you noticed - these ARE mine. They should pay for my electricity bills for last 2 months of mining SLR.
Thanks!

I haven't tried sending coins to bleutrade or withdrawing since they are clearly still running 1.5...
By the way their wallet is under maintenance now! looks like they are updating to 2.05
So you're the one who sold me Solarcoins at 0.00002000? thx.
I guess I just have to wait until bleutrade updates their slr wallet so i can withdraw
solarcoiner

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 08:44:47 AM

Difficulty should self-adjust according to the current number of staking coins at any given moment, so that the block rate meets the 1 block per minute target, as specified for the SolarCoin blockchain. Right now, we get 4-5 blocks per hour, which corresponds to a ~12 times higher difficulty than expected - and not even sure if difficulty actually adjusts at all. So we wait 12 times longer than we should.

I think what onsightit has already tried to explain is that time will make this issue pass away.
The coins will slowly ''split''up and there will be a lot more staking coins. Right now everyone is either just staked a block or is waiting to get their balance back in spendable to stake again. That being said my coins have been ''waiting''since over 20 hours. I guess as soon as i have 500 confirms part of my coins will start splitting up and staking again. give it a few days Smiley
solarcoiner

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 08:52:28 AM

Just one last question Smiley

Lets assume I found a few blocks and all my coins are now not spendable anymore! (all of them are waiting for 500 confirmations of the interest rewards)

If I understand correctly once my rewards get confirmed my coins will start splitting up and staking again? Where is the incentive to leave the client open? Doesn't that mean I could just turn off my computer and turn it back on just before 500 confirmations?
Wouldn't I achieve exactly the same results. Am I not just wasting electricity since my coins are just sitting there not staking waiting to be able to stake?

I guess that will change over time since once the coins are split up you can't do that anymore?
If anyone understands your help would be appreciated.

ps: i'm currently waiting for a little more than 50 confirmations until my coins will start staking again.
y_virtual

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 09:18:31 AM

I think what onsightit has already tried to explain is that time will make this issue pass away.
The coins will slowly ''split''up and there will be a lot more staking coins. Right now everyone is either just staked a block or is waiting to get their balance back in spendable to stake again. That being said my coins have been ''waiting''since over 20 hours. I guess as soon as i have 500 confirms part of my coins will start splitting up and staking again. give it a few days Smiley

No, explanations are not enough here. Moreover, the explanations given only prove that the more wallets/coins will be staking, the difficulty will go up. It is clear that the functionality that must be functional to meet the Solar Coins specs is not working properly. This functionality is built in to make the blockchain independent of the number of wallets online, coins staking, etc. In PoW, even if there is one miner left and regardless of the miner's hashrate, the Difficulty Adjustment algo will guarantee a block rate of 1 block per minute.

Assuming that we are going to PoST and there will be no return to PoW for no matter what reason, then we have ONLY two options available:
1. Difficulty Adjustment algo in the SolarCoin PoST implementation is coded/tested/adjusted properly to meet the SolarCoin target block rate specification of 1block/minute
or
2. SolarCoin target block rate specification is changed to reflect the inability of the current PoST implementation to deal with situations like the one we have now.
y_virtual

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 09:21:52 AM

Thanks!

I haven't tried sending coins to bleutrade or withdrawing since they are clearly still running 1.5...
By the way their wallet is under maintenance now! looks like they are updating to 2.05
I guess I just have to wait until bleutrade updates their slr wallet so i can withdraw

No, I would never go below 0.00003000, even for my 0.00000230 coins!  Smiley

Waiting for both Bittrex and Bluetrade to update their wallets and have some fun there Wink
Thanks!
solarcoiner

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 09:27:26 AM

No, explanations are not enough here. Moreover, the explanations given only prove that the more wallets/coins will be staking, the difficulty will go up. It is clear that the functionality that must be functional to meet the Solar Coins specs is not working properly. This functionality is built in to make the blockchain independent of the number of wallets online, coins staking, etc. In PoW, even if there is one miner left and regardless of the miner's hashrate, the Difficulty Adjustment algo will guarantee a block rate of 1 block per minute.

Assuming that we are going to PoST and there will be no return to PoW for no matter what reason, then we have ONLY two options available:
1. Difficulty Adjustment algo in the SolarCoin PoST implementation is coded/tested/adjusted properly to meet the SolarCoin target block rate specification of 1block/minute
or
2. SolarCoin target block rate specification is changed to reflect the inability of the current PoST implementation to deal with situations like the one we have now.

Yes the difficulty will go up but so will the number of coins that are actively staking once they ''split up''
I think we need to give the network a little time to do it's thing. give it a few more days and then we will know if something is fundamentally wrong with the 1 block/min target rate.
The 1 block/min is very important , I agree! But I think we have to wait I can see it getting there in a few days.
solarcoiner

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 09:30:20 AM

Thanks!

No, I would never go below 0.00003000, even for my 0.00000230 coins!  Smiley

Waiting for both Bittrex and Bluetrade to update their wallets and have some fun there Wink
Thanks!

well I feel bad for whoever sold me some coins at 0.00002000 Wink
I think bittrex is waiting for the first interest payments to confirm and see how it goes. then they will probably reactivate deposits and withdrawals!
CryptoNick
Legendary

Activity: 987
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 09:32:48 AM

or

The difficulty won't go up necessarily with more wallets etc. The Stake Time is in Play and is a Weighted measure of who is on the network staking. Any wallet can hash out "proof-of-stake" = 0.00024414 Difficulty this is not the trigger it is only after stake time is met and weight is rewarded vs other wallets. Making the Difficulty go down to get more blocks is not the problem. It was the 1.5 wallets and people not switching over. But it may also be that now my wallet is stuck for 510 confirms for 6 days and I can not participate in helping the network or get my 60,000 SLR out of Stake for 5 cents worth of SLR.

I can't stake anymore since the start of PoST. All my coins got Staked for the sum of 5 SLR. They will not confirm for another 100+ at this point 6 days out. The kinks get ironed out and confirms will be lowered is what was stated a while back. So splitting the stakes now is crucial but I don't think I can compete with the big wallets out there so I have to shut off since I can't stake anyways until 100+ more confirms. So that may be what is happening, people are locked in and shut off their wallets. I know I did the last 2 days.
solarcoiner

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 09:46:12 AM

I can't stake anymore since the start of PoST. All my coins got Staked for the sum of 5 SLR. They will not confirm for another 100+ at this point 6 days out. The kinks get ironed out and confirms will be lowered is what was stated a while back. So splitting the stakes now is crucial but I don't think I can compete with the big wallets out there so I have to shut off since I can't stake anyways until 100+ more confirms. So that may be what is happening, people are locked in and shut off their wallets. I know I did the last 2 days.

I'm in the same situation, all my coins staked for two interest payments of 4.9 and 25 SLR and I have been waiting ever since Wink
Im curious if I can in fact turn off my machine without losing any coin age?
I think I have 70 confirmations left until my coins split and start staking again... Do you know how they will split up?
I think even though there are some larger wallets around, a 60k stake is not bad Smiley
y_virtual

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 10:52:21 AM

or

Yes the difficulty will go up but so will the number of coins that are actively staking once they ''split up''
I think we need to give the network a little time to do it's thing. give it a few more days and then we will know if something is fundamentally wrong with the 1 block/min target rate.
The 1 block/min is very important , I agree! But I think we have to wait I can see it getting there in a few days.

I don't find this "give the network a little time to do it's thing" in the specs.
1 miner in PoW supports 1 block/min. 0 miners = dead blockchain.
1 node in PoST with how many SLRs to stake? 1? should be able to support 1 block/min. Or may be we also need clarification about the minimum requirements of the system?
In any case, fewer wallets should mean lower difficulty. As I already explained, if the Difficulty Adjustemnt algo is in fact working properly right now, we will always be seing the current block rate - 4-5 blocks per hour, regardless of the number of coins and/or their distribution. But the specs say 60 blocks/hour. So the other possibility is that the algo is working right, but it's parameters are set wrong. Whatever the issue, it must be fixed sooner or later.
y_virtual

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 11:05:10 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 11:19:27 AM by y_virtual

or

The difficulty won't go up necessarily with more wallets etc. The Stake Time is in Play and is a Weighted measure of who is on the network staking. Any wallet can hash out "proof-of-stake" = 0.00024414 Difficulty this is not the trigger it is only after stake time is met and weight is rewarded vs other wallets. Making the Difficulty go down to get more blocks is not the problem. It was the 1.5 wallets and people not switching over. But it may also be that now my wallet is stuck for 510 confirms for 6 days and I can not participate in helping the network or get my 60,000 SLR out of Stake for 5 cents worth of SLR.

Let me ask this: what should be the minimum requirements for a number of participating coins in how many wallets for the blockchain to move?
Then next question - should the blockchain move at 1 block/minute in any case when these minimum parameters are met, or in just certain very specific conditions?
What I see now is a very real situation when no matter how many wallets get added or turned off, the block rate stays at 4-5 blocks/hour. Are the minimum conditions we apparently don't know not met? Or is this a very specific condition - yet so real that we can't get it more real than that?
Edit: what if all 1.5 wallets get turned off, only 3 of them decide to upgrade to 2.0.5 today, also 7 of the 2.0.5 wallets decide to turn of because their balances have already staked and they are "doing nothing". Is it real? Yes. Do we have "more" wallets? Who knows? Why should we depend on these to have the requirements met? What all this means is that the current implementation of PoST on the SolarCoin blockchain is not secure, since it depends on conditions it was not meant to depend on.

I repeat the issue from a tester's point of view - we have the specs - 1block/minute, with no minimum requirements or as a matter of fact no any other requirements given.
Did we have 1 block/minute with the minimum resources (1 miner) in PoW? Yes.
Do we have anything close to 1 block/minute at any given time so far in PoST? No.
Issue stays.
Pages: « 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 ... 302 »
  Print  

Jump to: