Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:30:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 [1754] 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 ... 2248 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KanoPool since 2014 🐈 - PPLNS and Solo 0.5% fee - Worldwide - 2436 blocks  (Read 5350295 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (50 posts by 3+ users deleted.)
shid0

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 09:01:48 AM

it looks like, according to BTC.com, that we mined block 507,708 earlier today.... am i missing anything?

EDIT: also showing on blockchain.info
No that was another pool.

My apologies, too eager to crack a block.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
luxMiner

Activity: 97
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 09:07:17 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2018, 09:53:05 AM by luxMiner

it looks like, according to BTC.com, that we mined block 507,708 earlier today.... am i missing anything?

EDIT: also showing on blockchain.info
No that was another pool.

ha! Smiley

false alarm... keep on mining...!!
Newko

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:31:07 AM

This pool seems to be ONLY for the people who spent megabucks on mining equipment.

Their web page should have a warning that you can mine for MONTHS and never see a penny.

I'm a small miner and I've done quite well here over last two years (better than other pools I mined on). I haven't cracked a block yet, but small miners do crack blocks from time to time, so maybe I'll get lucky and crack one soon.  Grin Mine on!
Vertflyer

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:44:38 AM

Newbie question. When a block is cracked did others in the pool directly share work to crack that block? I’m not sure if block mining is truly distributive, or statistically distributive, as in you only need one machine to find the block, and the more machines the quicker.
fjtropepe

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 12:22:37 PM

Newbie question. When a block is cracked did others in the pool directly share work to crack that block? I’m not sure if block mining is truly distributive, or statistically distributive, as in you only need one machine to find the block, and the more machines the quicker.

In simplest form, it is like attempting to find the combination to a digital lock. If you find the combination you get the reward. You may or may never find the combination depending how many characters are in the password (difficulty). By bringing your friends on board with you and joining your effort your chances increase. The more friends that you have helping out the faster you will find the combination (statistically). You agree to split the reward, when found, by taking the total number of attempts made by the group and dividing out the winnings. In other words, to find your reward: Reward / total attempts made * number of attempts you personally made. So to answer your question, all you need is one worker (machine) to get the job done. Numbers is what gets that same job done expeditiously.
jeecom

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 01:07:34 PM

My understanding is that each machine is truly independent of each other.  The concern I have is that if you have two machines, I don't think they collaborate so they can actually waste effort by trying the same solutions that did not work.

ricknamer

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 01:10:11 PM

My understanding is that each machine is truly independent of each other.  The concern I have is that if you have two machines, I don't think they collaborate so they can actually waste effort by trying the same solutions that did not work.

You realize the chances of that happening are infinitely small, right?
bit2255

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 01:32:49 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2018, 01:46:37 PM by bit2255

In simplest form, it is like attempting to find the combination to a digital lock. If you find the combination you get the reward. You may or may never find the combination depending how many characters are in the password (difficulty). By bringing your friends on board with you and joining your effort your chances increase. The more friends that you have helping out the faster you will find the combination (statistically). You agree to split the reward, when found, by taking the total number of attempts made by the group and dividing out the winnings. In other words, to find your reward: Reward / total attempts made * number of attempts you personally made. So to answer your question, all you need is one worker (machine) to get the job done. Numbers is what gets that same job done expeditiously.

Nicely said!! (All newbies should read this - it might just reduce the number of posts significantly  Undecided)

Mine On!!
Newko

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 01:52:56 PM

Nicely said!! (All newbies should read this - it might just reduce the number of posts significantly  Undecided)

Mine On!!
I could be completely wrong here, but my understanding is that each miner is given work to do and while that work is independent of everyone else's work, everyone is contributing to finding the  solution. That means, even a low hash rate worker has a chance of solving the block. I have always assumed that solving the block was a "brute force" method, so the pool just hands out work to everyone (Here, try this. Now, try this., etc.) The reason larger hash rate miners crack many (most?) of the the blocks is because they can try so many more attempts than a low hash rate miner. However, the attempts that a small miner makes (even if they fail) are still helping the pool because those are attempts that the other miners don't have to make because Everyone gets unique work.  Pretty sure Kano can explain this much more accurately.

Edit: To cut to the chase, assuming two pools are run exactly the same (e.g Kano S3 pool and Kano S9 pool) a 100PH pool made up of nothing but miners running S3 rigs, will be just as successful at cracking blocks as the 100PH pool made up of nothing but S9 rigs. (Not talking efficiency here, just block solving capability). Total pool hash rate is what counts, not how you got there.
wavelengthsf

Activity: 658
Merit: 118

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:08:46 PM

I could be completely wrong here, but my understanding is that each miner is given work to do and while that work is independent of everyone else's work, everyone is contributing to finding the  solution. That means, even a low hash rate worker has a chance of solving the block. I have always assumed that solving the block was a "brute force" method, so the pool just hands out work to everyone (Here, try this. Now, try this., etc.) The reason larger hash rate miners crack many (most?) of the the blocks is because they can try so many more attempts than a low hash rate miner. However, the attempts that a small miner makes (even if they fail) are still helping the pool because those are attempts that the other miners don't have to make because Everyone gets unique work.  Pretty sure Kano can explain this much more accurately.

Edit: To cut to the chase, assuming two pools are run exactly the same (e.g Kano S3 pool and Kano S9 pool) a 100PH pool made up of nothing but miners running S3 rigs, will be just as successful at cracking blocks as the 100PH pool made up of nothing but S9 rigs. (Not talking efficiency here, just block solving capability). Total pool hash rate is what counts, not how you got there.

Your understanding is correct. It is the total hash rate that matters, and workers are given their own space that will pretty much never overlap with the space of other miners.

We're all brute forcing a double SHA256 hash with slightly different parameters (nonce, time, extraNonce) and some of the same (merkle root, previous block, version) and each miner has effectively an infinite search space with those variables.  

The other thing to remember is that while people talk about "cracking this block" its actually been hundreds of blocks on the network, we just didn't brute force it before someone else on the network did.
rifleman74

Merit: 21

4 s9's 2 821's

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:34:30 PM

Your understanding is correct. It is the total hash rate that matters, and workers are given their own space that will pretty much never overlap with the space of other miners.

We're all brute forcing a double SHA256 hash with slightly different parameters (nonce, time, extraNonce) and some of the same (merkle root, previous block, version) and each miner has effectively an infinite search space with those variables.  

The other thing to remember is that while people talk about "cracking this block" its actually been hundreds of blocks on the network, we just didn't brute force it before someone else on the network did.

But we're still on "this block", so in essence...yes we're still trying to "crack this block". 
Newko

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:35:06 PM

Thanks for the extra details Smiley
While I couldn't recognize a Merke root from a ginger root or a nonce from a sconce, it's nice to know I at least had the general concept down. I also knew that once the network finds a block we've moved on to trying to solve the next, so yeah, "cracking this block" is just a convenient, albeit innacurate expression.
Gonna do more reading to see if I can ever really understand this at a deep level.
Thanks again Smiley  Mine on!
Newko

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:40:38 PM

But we're still on "this block", so in essence...yes we're still trying to "crack this block".  
Yes, this block for us, as in the next block the we finally solve,  but we've been working on lots of different network blocks since we cracked our last one. We'll all still use the "this block" expression though because it is convenient for our discussion purposes. That said........Let's crack this block!   Grin

Edit: And of course, at any point in time, the block we are trying to solve is "this block". It's just that "this block" is a group of different blocks since our last one. Ok, I think this horse is dead so I'll stop beating it.  Grin
heartlandmining

Activity: 104
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:40:47 PM

echo $_ | sed "s/this block/our next block/g"

But we're still on "our next block", so in essence...yes we're still trying to "crack our next block". 

Yep.  That's better.
Newko

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:46:02 PM

echo $_ | sed "s/this block/our next block/g"

But we're still on "our next block", so in essence...yes we're still trying to "crack our next block".  

Yep.  That's better.
+1  Smiley
wavelengthsf

Merit: 118

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:53:25 PM

And of course, mine on!
bigolin

Activity: 136
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 03:16:19 PM

Fire sale again boys! Get 'em while they're hot!

buy low and HODL!
rifleman74

Merit: 21

4 s9's 2 821's

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 03:43:47 PM

Fire sale again boys! Get 'em while they're hot!

buy low and HODL!

Get your miners, get your miners!
Waztim

Activity: 210
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 03:59:18 PM

The Fundamentals, they haven't changed. There will only ever be 21 million bitcoin ever created. ~4 million have been lost forever. If people think Bitcoin is dead, they are fools. Bitcoin is THE coin to which all others are priced against. Don't worry about price, Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt is what makes long term miners and HODL's wealthy. Stay the course and MINE ON WITH KANO-SAN, the best Bitcoin Mining Pool on Earth!! Come on Block!!BTCBTC
BSGMiner

Activity: 490
Merit: 16

1xA921 + 1xA741 + Backup-->1xA6 ;)

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 04:05:30 PM

This pool seems to be ONLY for the people who spent megabucks on mining equipment.

Their web page should have a warning that you can mine for MONTHS and never see a penny.

Except that would be false unless you ignored the bold red warning on the front web page ...

Subtle, very subtle... I had to go remind myself what Kano was referring to.

Quote from: kano.is
Don't point CPU or GPU miners at the pool.

Grin

The BTCest mining pool (<1% fee): KanoPool
***PPLNS rewards averaged over the 5Nd to reduce variance***
Pages: « 1 ... 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 [1754] 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 ... 2248 »
  Print  

Jump to: