Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:16:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2174 2175 2176 2177 2178 2179 2180 2181 2182 2183 2184 2185 2186 2187 2188 2189 2190 2191 2192 2193 2194 2195 2196 2197 2198 2199 2200 2201 2202 2203 2204 2205 2206 2207 2208 2209 2210 2211 2212 2213 2214 2215 2216 2217 2218 2219 2220 2221 2222 2223 [2224] 2225 2226 2227 2228 2229 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KanoPool since 2014 🐈 - PPLNS and Solo 0.5% fee - Worldwide - 2435 blocks  (Read 5350133 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (50 posts by 3+ users deleted.)
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 26, 2020, 05:02:37 AM
Merited by Biffa (5), NotFuzzyWarm (1)

The pool did not score since Dec 16, I get that, but now it is all cancelled.
Good lesson not to believe in ramp down promises.

Well rather than watch the pool die while people keep leaving ... months ago ... I've done something about it.

So can you, and get back to 100% in 3 days by pointing your miners back here.

Good lesson to NOT do nothing when the pool requires a change ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

View Profile
January 26, 2020, 05:09:04 AM

The pool did not score since Dec 16, I get that, but now it is all cancelled.
Good lesson not to believe in ramp down promises.

Well rather than watch the pool die while people keep leaving ... months ago ... I've done something about it.

So can you, and get back to 100% in 3 days by pointing your miners back here.

Good lesson to NOT do nothing when the pool requires a change ...

I understand why you did it; not very amused, but, whatever.
Having said that, I hope that you will be able to attract more miners.
I like the pool and it would have been sad to see it go. Maybe this would help.
Mcdes

Activity: 17
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 26, 2020, 09:59:26 AM
Merited by NotFuzzyWarm (3)

Well well. This is good news..... as someone who has tried to jump on at Kano, I’ve always been put off from the 154-176 day ramp up times whenever I looked at it. Specially this close to the halving, I basically wrote the pool off entirely.

But now, it’s back in the picture as a realistic option for me! I think it’s a great move!
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2020, 10:51:59 PM

Well well. This is good news..... as someone who has tried to jump on at Kano, I’ve always been put off from the 154-176 day ramp up times whenever I looked at it. Specially this close to the halving, I basically wrote the pool off entirely.

But now, it’s back in the picture as a realistic option for me! I think it’s a great move!
Mine on! and come on over to Discord if you have any questions/issues you want to discuss Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Mcdes

Activity: 17
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 27, 2020, 02:34:13 AM

Mine on! and come on over to Discord if you have any questions/issues you want to discuss Smiley

struggling to jump in Discord, keeps pushing me out.
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2020, 02:56:43 AM

struggling to jump in Discord, keeps pushing me out.
Well it takes 10 minutes before you can type anything.

As for connecting, the invite should only be necessary the first time if you have setup a discord account.
Anyway, the pinned message explains how to get a role so your account will always list the channel when you login.
Without a role, I think you just need to browser bookmark the channel (and use the bookmark after you login to Discord)

Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2020, 06:59:59 AM

The problem with us getting so small in the past year, is the "ramp" has gotten out of control - almost 200 days.
It seems often I hear the obvious that people don't want to join a pool where their reward will be paid out slowly over the next 100-200 days.

Setting it to 3 Days solves that problem permanently.

Are you going to leave the 3ND even if the pool recovers its former 100+ PH/s hashrate?

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2020, 08:20:29 AM

The problem with us getting so small in the past year, is the "ramp" has gotten out of control - almost 200 days.
It seems often I hear the obvious that people don't want to join a pool where their reward will be paid out slowly over the next 100-200 days.

Setting it to 3 Days solves that problem permanently.

Are you going to leave the 3ND even if the pool recovers its former 100+ PH/s hashrate?
It's 3 Days, not 3 Network Difficulty.

As for keeping it this way, yes that's the plan moving forward.
It would have to get a lot larger than 100PH before ever considering any more changes.
100PH now on 5ND would be 38.4 days ...

But I don't foresee a need to change it.

3 Days independent of hash rate, keeps a consistent effect on all miners.
e.g. a small miner doubling their miners from 1 to 2 (e.g. 50TH to 100TH) has little effect on a Network Difficulty based N
but a large miner adding 200PH does have a noticeable effect on it.

This way it's consistent for all.

mas7539alt

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2020, 03:06:42 AM

EVerybody Chant; Bitcoin, Bitcoin, Bitcoin!

Come on Blockchain give it up!
NomadGroup

Activity: 508
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2020, 08:04:46 PM

I've done an update to KDB and put it live (already)

With this update, I've changed the pool's N in PPLNS to 3 Days rather than 5Nd as it was before.

So, the next block we find, it will ONLY reward all shares in the 3 Days prior to the block.

For new miners or miners considering joining, this means that it will take 3 days for your shares to 'ramp up' to full reward
as opposed to the 5Nd value that was around 148 days on the last block we found.

This also means that if you leave the pool i.e. no longer mining, after 3 days your shares will have 'ramped down'.

Applying the two above Smiley if you have an outage, after 3 days you will have 'ramped down' but also you can then 'ramp back up' within 3 days after you reconnect your miners.

The 'expected' result is still the same as before, however, since the pool is currently small, and the average block time is quite a bit more than 3 days, the variance, due to this change, of your rewards while 'ramping up' or 'ramping down' is much higher.
What this basically means is: that during that 'ramp' (up or down) the expected chance of a reward is 1 in X/3 where X is the average expected days per block based on the current pool hash rate - which is currently about 5 weeks.

Hopefully this will attact more miners, and help us get that average block time much more regular!

Come visit Discord with the link on the Home Page if you have any questions.

About time you’ve done it Kano!  That’s very good news!
NomadGroup

View Profile
February 08, 2020, 08:13:36 PM

Hey guys I’ve encountered a very strange problem in 2 of my s9 models in the past few weeks or so.  All of the sudden they stopped connecting to the pool so I went and looked at them and everything was fine the green light was blinking the hashing boards were working just fine.  So I went ahead and connected to them through the IP addresses just to find out that they are now mining for some HK.nicehash Pool and some BTC address!!! Huh   At the same time in the configuration page all of my pools were still there!  I tried to reset the controllers but the buttons didn’t do anything! Embarrassed

So I had to swipe 2 controllers because of that problem, there was no other way to fix it.  Has anyone ever encountered the same type of problem?  Is it possible to hack someone’s miner and just change the mining addresses?  I took a screenshot but not sure how to load it for you to see.

Let me know if you guys have any information regarding this type of problem

Thanks! Wink
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2020, 09:02:07 PM

There are various hacks to miners to make them mine to other places.

If the miner is directly connected to the internet, and not behind a firewall, then pretty much anyone can get into it and change what it is running or set a script to change the pool being mined to.
If it is behind a firewall, then anyone else who has access to that miner can change it, but in general, of course, not anyone out on the net.

With the prevalence of hack firmware doing similar things already to charge fees, and people trying to hack into miners to override lack of ssh access, it's become pretty common knowledge how to hack into a miner if it is accessible on the internet.

Make sure it's behind a firewall and no one on the 'net can directly access it, and make sure there isn't anyone else behind the firewall, or a windows computer behind the firewall since they often get hacked/viruses to allow people to hack into your network.

... and lastly ... if it is mining somewhere else, then any miner that has the CrapHash extranonce code can be made to mine to anything at any time by the pool/proxy that is sending you work - though you'll not be able to see that anywhere since nothing logs that change - the CrapHash extranonce code hides all that information.

vickersja

Activity: 210
Merit: 34

To be the man, you gotta beat the man...... WOOOOO

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 01:58:36 AM

I've done an update to KDB and put it live (already)

With this update, I've changed the pool's N in PPLNS to 3 Days rather than 5Nd as it was before.

So, the next block we find, it will ONLY reward all shares in the 3 Days prior to the block.

For new miners or miners considering joining, this means that it will take 3 days for your shares to 'ramp up' to full reward
as opposed to the 5Nd value that was around 148 days on the last block we found.

This also means that if you leave the pool i.e. no longer mining, after 3 days your shares will have 'ramped down'.

Applying the two above Smiley if you have an outage, after 3 days you will have 'ramped down' but also you can then 'ramp back up' within 3 days after you reconnect your miners.

The 'expected' result is still the same as before, however, since the pool is currently small, and the average block time is quite a bit more than 3 days, the variance, due to this change, of your rewards while 'ramping up' or 'ramping down' is much higher.
What this basically means is: that during that 'ramp' (up or down) the expected chance of a reward is 1 in X/3 where X is the average expected days per block based on the current pool hash rate - which is currently about 5 weeks.

Hopefully this will attact more miners, and help us get that average block time much more regular!

Come visit Discord with the link on the Home Page if you have any questions.

Hello.  How does the 3 days impact miners with some running 24/7 and others running off and on?  Here is my situation.  I have an Antminer S9i running 24/7 in the garage.  I supplement my heat with an S5 and 2 S7-LN's.  While the S9i will be mining constantly, the S5 and S7-LN will run as needed for heat. 

Will the S5 and S7-LN need to ramp up each time they are turned or, or will the constant mining of the S9i take care of that?

Thank you.

Earn Bitcoin with Lolli:  https://lolli.com/share/FbdPrN6jTu
Link credit card for in-store shopping or use browser extension for online shopping
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 02:55:09 AM

Firstly, if you have a miner that mines 50% of the day, you expect at 3 Days for it to show the red line at 50% of the miner hash rate.
If, however you mine random days, on and off all day, then your red line will also be random depending on what you did in the last 3 Days when we find a block.

I'll give a clear description about how PPLNS works, since most people get the wrong idea about it.
Using the term 'ramp' unfortunately is only correct in two cases when mining PPLNS anywhere:

1) When you first start mining, N says how long until your per-block reward will match your start hash rate, if you keep the same hash rate.
2) When you stop mining, N says how long until your per-block reward will drop to zero.

They are 2 specific cases that unfortunately tend to confuse people about how PPLNS actually works.

--

I have a 'tank' description that does correctly match how PPLNS works in all cases:

If you look at the shift graph, there is a green area that runs from 'now' back to N in the past - here N of course has a time value, and is 3 Days.
That green area is your 'tank' of shares.

Thus the sum of the value of all your shares in the green area, when we find a block, decides your proportion of the reward vs the total value of all the shares in the green area for all miners on the pool.

Why I say it is like a 'tank' is that each time a new shift is completed, the old shift falls off the left, and the new shift is added on the right.
If the value of the shift that falls off the left is the same as the value of the shift added on the right, then the red line will be the same.
If the value of the shift that falls off the left is less than the value of the shift added on the right, then the red line will move up.
If the value of the shift that falls off the left is more than the value of the shift added on the right, then the red line will move down.
Like a 'tank' with a hole in it emptying (on the left), and you filling it at the same time (on the right)
If you fill it faster than it empties, it's total value goes up.

PPLNS also means that any single change to your hash rate, up or down, will take N (3 Days) to complete it's effect.

So if you have 50TH of mining full time, and 50TH of mining on and off, and you've been mining both for 3 Days,
then your 100TH tank will be full, and if we find a block then, you'll get twice the reward of someone with a 50TH tank.

If you go to half mining for 3 days, at the end of 3 days you'll have half a 100TH tank, so if we find a block then, you'll get the equivalent of a 50TH tank of mining.

Anywhere during the 3 Days after you switch the extra 50TH on or off, your reward will be whatever level your tank is between 100TH and 50TH - based on what you did in the 3 Days before we found the block.

This is where the higher variance, I mentioned in my post you quoted, comes from.
It's faster for a single miner to get to full speed in the tank, as it is faster for it to get to zero in the tank. 3 Days.

Also be aware, that the pool, since it started: over 65% of the rewards have had an N value of less than 3 Days.
You can see how long the N value is for each Reward you have.

NomadGroup

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 06:32:15 AM

If the miner is directly connected to the internet, and not behind a firewall, then pretty much anyone can get into it and change what it is running or set a script to change the pool being mined to.
If it is behind a firewall, then anyone else who has access to that miner can change it, but in general, of course, not anyone out on the net.

With the prevalence of hack firmware doing similar things already to charge fees, and people trying to hack into miners to override lack of ssh access, it's become pretty common knowledge how to hack into a miner if it is accessible on the internet.

Make sure it's behind a firewall and no one on the 'net can directly access it, and make sure there isn't anyone else behind the firewall, or a windows computer behind the firewall since they often get hacked/viruses to allow people to hack into your network.

... and lastly ... if it is mining somewhere else, then any miner that has the CrapHash extranonce code can be made to mine to anything at any time by the pool/proxy that is sending you work - though you'll not be able to see that anywhere since nothing logs that change - the CrapHash extranonce code hides all that information.

Thanks for all of the useful information Kano!  I’ve purchased a SonicWall router looking device especially for this type of stuff not to happen but since I’m lacking a great deal of networking knowledge, I just put it aside and was too lazy to even try to set it up, thinking it will be too complicated.  Undecided

I guess I better try and install it on my network after all!  Because I’ve already thrown out 2 controllers which became just useless after I’ve noticed the mining addresses changed on them!  Angry Like I’ve mentioned before even the reset buttons stopped working!  And those miners were never disassembled nor ever had changed in them, they were just like they came from Bitmain.

I’ll check my router now to see what is the settings on the firewall, because I don’t even remember what it was.  I think there were like 3 options for the firewall from light mode to the toughest one which wouldn’t let anything through I guess but like I said I’m pretty clueless when it comes to networking, just too many protocols for my old brain  Cheesy

Thanks again Kano!  Grin
NomadGroup

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 07:07:40 AM

Thanks for all of the useful information Kano!  I’ve purchased a SonicWall router looking device especially for this type of stuff not to happen but since I’m lacking a great deal of networking knowledge, I just put it aside and was too lazy to even try to set it up, thinking it will be too complicated.  Undecided

I guess I better try and install it on my network after all!  Because I’ve already thrown out 2 controllers which became just useless after I’ve noticed the mining addresses changed on them!  Angry Like I’ve mentioned before even the reset buttons stopped working!  And those miners were never disassembled nor ever had changed in them, they were just like they came from Bitmain.

I’ll check my router now to see what is the settings on the firewall, because I don’t even remember what it was.  I think there were like 3 options for the firewall from light mode to the toughest one which wouldn’t let anything through I guess but like I said I’m pretty clueless when it comes to networking, just too many protocols for my old brain  Cheesy

Thanks again Kano!  Grin

Just checked my modem and the settings of the firewall is on medium, I’m not sure if I should change it to high now.
vickersja

Activity: 210
Merit: 34

To be the man, you gotta beat the man...... WOOOOO

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 02:10:34 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2020, 02:29:31 PM by vickersja

Firstly, if you have a miner that mines 50% of the day, you expect at 3 Days for it to show the red line at 50% of the miner hash rate.
If, however you mine random days, on and off all day, then your red line will also be random depending on what you did in the last 3 Days when we find a block.

I'll give a clear description about how PPLNS works, since most people get the wrong idea about it.
Using the term 'ramp' unfortunately is only correct in two cases when mining PPLNS anywhere:

1) When you first start mining, N says how long until your per-block reward will match your start hash rate, if you keep the same hash rate.
2) When you stop mining, N says how long until your per-block reward will drop to zero.

They are 2 specific cases that unfortunately tend to confuse people about how PPLNS actually works.

--

I have a 'tank' description that does correctly match how PPLNS works in all cases:

If you look at the shift graph, there is a green area that runs from 'now' back to N in the past - here N of course has a time value, and is 3 Days.
That green area is your 'tank' of shares.

Thus the sum of the value of all your shares in the green area, when we find a block, decides your proportion of the reward vs the total value of all the shares in the green area for all miners on the pool.

Why I say it is like a 'tank' is that each time a new shift is completed, the old shift falls off the left, and the new shift is added on the right.
If the value of the shift that falls off the left is the same as the value of the shift added on the right, then the red line will be the same.
If the value of the shift that falls off the left is less than the value of the shift added on the right, then the red line will move up.
If the value of the shift that falls off the left is more than the value of the shift added on the right, then the red line will move down.
Like a 'tank' with a hole in it emptying (on the left), and you filling it at the same time (on the right)
If you fill it faster than it empties, it's total value goes up.

PPLNS also means that any single change to your hash rate, up or down, will take N (3 Days) to complete it's effect.

So if you have 50TH of mining full time, and 50TH of mining on and off, and you've been mining both for 3 Days,
then your 100TH tank will be full, and if we find a block then, you'll get twice the reward of someone with a 50TH tank.

If you go to half mining for 3 days, at the end of 3 days you'll have half a 100TH tank, so if we find a block then, you'll get the equivalent of a 50TH tank of mining.

Anywhere during the 3 Days after you switch the extra 50TH on or off, your reward will be whatever level your tank is between 100TH and 50TH - based on what you did in the 3 Days before we found the block.

This is where the higher variance, I mentioned in my post you quoted, comes from.
It's faster for a single miner to get to full speed in the tank, as it is faster for it to get to zero in the tank. 3 Days.

Also be aware, that the pool, since it started: over 65% of the rewards have had an N value of less than 3 Days.
You can see how long the N value is for each Reward you have.

This is probably the most thorough and easy to understand answer I have seen.  Thank you very much, and for explaining the shift graph.  I am in the process of moving my miners over to KanoPool.  Probably about 30 TH when all is said and done.  I have an R4 on the way.  

Summer will be interesting - those Alabama summers and mining don't mix too well.  Smiley

Earn Bitcoin with Lolli:  https://lolli.com/share/FbdPrN6jTu
Link credit card for in-store shopping or use browser extension for online shopping
overcon

Activity: 393

911 IT Admin. I keep 911 up so you get help ASAP!

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2020, 04:36:22 PM

Sure would like a block about now.

Donate BTC to: 1PXBBTLqXQnT9qAyWsc51XGj2GUt4WW57x
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 05:22:49 PM

Sure would like a block about now.

It is about that time, isn't it.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
NomadGroup

View Profile
February 11, 2020, 05:52:12 AM

Good evening fellow miners!  Just wanted to let you know that I’ve had another S9 hacked today and the controller is ruined and I ran out of the replacement controllers Cry

Firewall is set to medium, if I set it to higher level then the miners don’t connect.  Not sure what else I can do to stop this guy from stealing my coins and braking my hardware.

If anyone is interested here is the address that this bastard puts instead of my pool settings and his wallet address.

35TVW8JXxnrPviwyZoRbtNfs2RD1vXNRu1

stratum+tcp://sha256.hk.nicehash.com:3334#xnsub

The controllers can not be hard reset, the address can not be changed.  BEWARE AND KEEP YOU NETWORK SAFE¡

Good night and mine on!  The block is coming soon! Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 2174 2175 2176 2177 2178 2179 2180 2181 2182 2183 2184 2185 2186 2187 2188 2189 2190 2191 2192 2193 2194 2195 2196 2197 2198 2199 2200 2201 2202 2203 2204 2205 2206 2207 2208 2209 2210 2211 2212 2213 2214 2215 2216 2217 2218 2219 2220 2221 2222 2223 [2224] 2225 2226 2227 2228 2229 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 »
  Print  

Jump to: