Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:19:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 165496 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:46:09 PM

So the 11th is almost gone, and nothing.  BitcoinAssPress has one day left to be an asshole.  After the 12th, he's just a dick.

What excactly are we looking to confirm if attack was successful or not?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:52:53 PM

This is the exact thing the Auroracoin devs  said right up until a few hours before I predicted the TW would hit.

When it did, geez did the convo shift over to "Hey BCX, we're all civil blah blah blah, we didn't mean all those bad things...."

I said 22 days which is October 11-ish into early Oct 12 GMT

500 BTC challenge is still open to you

Let see just how sure you really are.

~BCX~

By my calculation, it is about 4:42 PM GMT on October 12.  

Any news on progress?  Any definitive statement you can make about this?  

Last I read, a "Decline" was promised.  That has been the case.  XMR is down 25% since the announcement (then at .003685, now at .002876).  Are your actions a proximate cause?  Is this whatever-it-is now over?

BCX, you made a definitive announcement that moved the market at the time.  It would only be fair to give a statement now that the deadline has passed.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:59:14 PM

This is the exact thing the Auroracoin devs  said right up until a few hours before I predicted the TW would hit.

When it did, geez did the convo shift over to "Hey BCX, we're all civil blah blah blah, we didn't mean all those bad things...."

~BCX~

Last I read, a "Decline" was promised.  That has been the case.  XMR is down 25% since the announcement (then at .003685, now at .002876).  Are your actions a proximate cause?  Is this whatever-it-is now over?

BCX, you made a definitive announcement that moved the market at the time.  It would only be fair to give a statement now that the deadline has passed.

I wish I had 500BTC to take this bet up.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:59:43 PM

Ultros

Activity: 471

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:02:41 PM

Two more weeks? I'm not done accumulating.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:50:42 PM

Clearly he meant 22 lunar days, since we all know that monero is going to the moon Tongue

With respect to the stars, the Moon takes 27 Earth days, 7 hours and 43.2 minutes to complete its orbit; but since the Earth-Moon system advances around the Sun in the meantime, the Moon must travel further to get back to the same phase. On average, this synodic period lasts 29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 3 seconds.

So by my calculations, the attack should be happening sometime in late 2015 or early 2016 Smiley
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 06:19:43 PM

Clearly he meant 22 lunar days, since we all know that monero is going to the moon Tongue

With respect to the stars, the Moon takes 27 Earth days, 7 hours and 43.2 minutes to complete its orbit; but since the Earth-Moon system advances around the Sun in the meantime, the Moon must travel further to get back to the same phase. On average, this synodic period lasts 29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 3 seconds.

So by my calculations, the attack should be happening sometime in late 2015 or early 2016 Smiley

The problem with those calculations is that the lunar days are taken from the perspective of the earth.  What would be a lunar day from a lunar perspective. 

Signed, the loony lunatic.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 07:27:40 PM

The problem with those calculations is that the lunar days are taken from the perspective of the earth.  What would be a lunar day from a lunar perspective. 

The synodic period is what someone on the Moon would call an average day - that is, the mean time from sunset to sunset.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:15:02 PM

TY Jorge,  I could have figured it out or maybe even looked it up Shocked but today I am braindead with justification which needs to be remedied by tomorrow.
Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:16:30 PM

~BCX~

I wish I had 500BTC to take this bet up.

If you have 500 BTC, you can buy enough hashing power and delay the attack by a few days then win the 500 BTC.
BanditryAndLoot

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 09:30:58 PM

That depends how you trade off blockchain space against processing cost by the recipient. I've also suggested an ephemeral payment protocol that allows the sender to deliver out-of-band information to the recipient that doesn't need to be stored persistently on the blockchain, but payment protocols have somewhat of a bad name I guess.

Could you see this type of out-of-band information being sent across the network after your future i2p implementation?

The advantage of solo mining is that you get coins with no history whatsoever. So in that sense the latter network would be preferable, all else being equal. Other than that, being a participant in the history of coins conveys no advantage, since tracing will fail after a small number of mixed transactions.

Could the difficulty to link or trace a transaction be manipulated by pulsing the network with hi volumes of transactions at specific intervals? Like if I wanted to lose out on 100 XMR, could I just send 1000 tx's very quickly to the tx pool to make my particular likelihood of uncovering a link or trace for that local time window much easier? Let's say I know, or hear, that my friend is going out to buy some OTC Monero. Let's say this is a window of 30 minutes. What if then, for the next 30-40 minutes I spammed the transaction pool, would there be any relationship to his particular transaction and my specific ability to uncover a link or trace to his tx for that period of time rather than say two weeks from now if he does it again and I don't decide to spam the tx pool?

(Nice Socratic method BTW. A welcome change from the usual confrontational approach seen here so often.)
It's a part of a recent attempt at overcoming a highly malignant confirmation bias. It's tough going back over your pending post and trying to rephrase parts of it into questions, rather than statements, but I think it's working Smiley

And it's only at the end of fall, that we discover it was naught but the wind that knew when one particular leaf was to fall from one particular tree, only to land in one distinct spot .. to be left for an eternity, and waste its time in a wait sublime. C0A2A1C4
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:16:37 AM

Congratulations it is now the 13th GMT.

While waiting for this milestone I have confirmed my braindeadedness by watching Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death.
Whtwabbit

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:22:37 AM

Congratulations it is now the 13th GMT.

While waiting for this milestone I have confirmed my braindeadedness by watching Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death.

Ahhh... when they knew how to make an entertaining movie

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:44:40 AM

That depends how you trade off blockchain space against processing cost by the recipient. I've also suggested an ephemeral payment protocol that allows the sender to deliver out-of-band information to the recipient that doesn't need to be stored persistently on the blockchain, but payment protocols have somewhat of a bad name I guess.

Could you see this type of out-of-band information being sent across the network after your future i2p implementation?

Sure, if such a payment protocol is viewed as useful.

Could the difficulty to link or trace a transaction be manipulated by pulsing the network with hi volumes of transactions at specific intervals? Like if I wanted to lose out on 100 XMR, could I just send 1000 tx's very quickly to the tx pool to make my particular likelihood of uncovering a link or trace for that local time window much easier? Let's say I know, or hear, that my friend is going out to buy some OTC Monero. Let's say this is a window of 30 minutes. What if then, for the next 30-40 minutes I spammed the transaction pool, would there be any relationship to his particular transaction and my specific ability to uncover a link or trace to his tx for that period of time rather than say two weeks from now if he does it again and I don't decide to spam the tx pool?

By OTC I assume you mean from another individual, not an exchange?

Cryptonote ring signature mixing has no simultaneity requirement so making many transactions at the same time would be not be an effective attack, other than annoying your friend by potentially slowing his transaction down. (It could be with an off-chain mixer however.)

In the case of an exchange, you could try to create a trace between your transaction and his by sending coins to an exchange before he buys coins from an exchange. If the exchange is lightly used and you got the timing right, you might reasonably expect your friend to receive your coins. But as long as your friend (and/or the exchange) uses mixing effectively the trail quickly goes cold from there.

Ultros

Activity: 471

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 09:32:26 AM

Maybe it's time to lock the thread to help people forget since apparently you wont admit that you lied and/or failed to deliver.
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 01:58:30 PM

Dont be silly no locking. It is a time wrap attack it will happen in 22th century. This forum will be long forgotten what attack will finally happen.
UnunoctiumTesticles

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 04:07:09 AM
Last edit: October 14, 2014, 04:25:42 AM by UnunoctiumTesticles

Well now we know BCX's significant capabilities lie in the realm in social engineering, not software engineering.

I get the last laugh on his attempt to use me in the ruse, because those cheap XMR are not going to pay off as a long-term investment.

For all those who bet on the SuperNet, at least 5 of your BTC has contributed funding this outcome. Kudos to your leader.

I think smooth will find over time the bounty algorithm discussion and concepts will be worth the 2.5 BTC.

As for those who don't honor their contractual obligations timely, luck of the long-tail will not look kindly on you. In spite on my physical suffering and financial decline, I continue to do several $100s per month in charity to those less fortunate than myself. Actually the Bible says not to boast about charity, not let the right hand know what the left hand gave.

Implementing the Account Tree in CryptonIte with a Trie is not very astute, holistic engineering.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 04:26:57 AM

Well now we know BCX's significant capabilities lie in the realm in social engineering, not software engineering.

I get the last laugh on his attempt to use me in the ruse, because those cheap XMR are not going to pay off as a long-term investment.

For all those who bet on the SuperNet, at least 5 of your BTC has contributed funding this outcome. Kudos to your leader.

I think smooth will find over time the bounty algorithm discussion and concepts will be worth the 2.5 BTC.

As for those who don't honor their contractual obligations timely, luck of the long-tail will not look kindly on you. In spite on my physical suffering and financial decline, I continue to do several $100s per month in charity to those less fortunate than myself.

Implementing the Account Tree in CryptonIte with a Trie is not very astute, holistic engineering.

I suppose you have a time machine in order to know that XMRs bought recently will not pay off as a long term investment?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

UnunoctiumTesticles

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 04:35:10 AM
Last edit: October 14, 2014, 04:48:05 AM by UnunoctiumTesticles

Roll Eyes

I desire no animosity towards you. You should know that by now. I understand well that your belief system is based on following the visibly strongest herd. Perhaps one day you come to appreciate the significance of the acute distinction that I operate in the realm of technological and market demographics facts. If I am healthy, it is very unlikely there will be failure to deliver technological and market needs. Enjoy constructing shish kabobs with my words for a while. I am not offended because your belief system is rational.

I suppose you have a time machine in order to know that XMRs bought recently will not pay off as a long term investment?

XMR could see gains, but like all altcoins its long-term is futile due to the the paradigm.

One thing that BCX said which was very astute, is that (paraphrased) all altcoins decline.
UnunoctiumTesticles

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 04:55:46 AM
Last edit: October 14, 2014, 05:20:46 AM by UnunoctiumTesticles

I think we all got weary of the last weeks, I'm talking at least for myself, Im really nowhere close to you in expertize so if I'm biased is because I'm limited in my knowledge, I really believe Monero is a legit coin.

Your humbleness requires an equivalently humble reply. Monero is definitely a legit coin. Smooth et al are very capable developers (and probably much more capable in terms of coding volume than one man programming alone could ever be). It has a legitimate anonymity functionality that is improving over time, e.g. the I2P integration is apparently being lead by fluffypony and the work continues on analyzing and improving the model of how the one-time ring signatures are implemented.

My reservation about the long-term potential is that afaics Cryptonote was not holistically designed to change the paradigm. Now whether smooth et al will borrow some of my ideas about how to change the paradigm is not known to me. I think I've explained to smooth (some publicly, some privately) why I think they will have difficulty competing with an off chain anonymity solution in terms of attempting to change the paradigm I allege. I am not saying he agrees with that assessment. I assume they are likely considering their options and potential actions in this regard, if any. The other irrevocable flaw (a feature from the perspective of speculative investors) that I allege prevents it from changing the paradigm is the debasement schedule of Monero.

Again I reiterate Monero is a legit anonymous coin. And it may see gains because of it. At this time, its design is not capable of being the currency that the world will use.

See this post about the relative importance of anonymity.
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: