Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:32:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 165493 times)
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 04:58:42 PM

From the Monero missive:

Core: DNS checkpointing. This scans TXT records on the domains checkpoints.moneropulse.net/org/se/co every hour and, unless an enforce flag is set, notifies the user where checkpoints do not match.

https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-announcements/47/monday-monero-missives-13-october-6th-2014

I may be missing something, but this doesn't look decentralized to me.
Unless you want to define decentralization as the ability to choose between being notified vs. automatical enforcement.
You could add your own checkpoints in a text file with copy/paste the block hash and block height and those will be enforced on your local copy of the blockchain - no centralized authority is needed to do that so it's decentralized.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 05:07:40 PM

You could add your own checkpoints in a text file with copy/paste the block hash and block height and those will be enforced on your local copy of the blockchain - no centralized authority is needed to do that so it's decentralized.

Of course, and that is possible with just any coin.
Monero it's true makes checkpointing easier by not having to compile anything.

But still, that does not make away with the fact that there is an "official" list
produced centrally that is explicitly being compared with "alternative" checkpoint lists.

True decentralized checkpointing would be totally distributed like the block creation, and
that may be impossible.

“God does not play dice"
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 06:59:23 PM

But still, that does not make away with the fact that there is an "official" list
produced centrally that is explicitly being compared with "alternative" checkpoint lists.

What makes it decentralized is that if you don't like (or can't retrieve) our "official" list, it is easy to produce your own list, and distribute it. If people agree and your list is widely used, then it becomes the de facto official list. You don't need to fork the code, or even have the ability to compile it.

This moves the issue of checkpointing outside of the control of the priesthood of software developers (and especially of one specific developer or one team of developers) and into the hands of the community.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 07:33:34 PM

From the Monero missive:

Core: DNS checkpointing. This scans TXT records on the domains checkpoints.moneropulse.net/org/se/co every hour and, unless an enforce flag is set, notifies the user where checkpoints do not match.

https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-announcements/47/monday-monero-missives-13-october-6th-2014

I may be missing something, but this doesn't look decentralized to me.
Unless you want to define decentralization as the ability to choose between being notified vs. automatical enforcement.

It offers both.
What you are looking at is a subsequent addition to make additional use of the innovation.
The files are local, so miners can update using their own scheme, or they can use a centralized solution.
Prior to this, it would take a recompile and code modification to accomplish this.  Miners now have a simple way to do it themselves.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 02:55:48 AM

whoa. i didnt mean to open this can of warms.

I wanted to figure out if checkpoints was the only solution to the "attack" and nothing else was proposed. Some one later said that there is no attack/weakness.

So lets move on.

The checkpoint debate has been going on for yrs. There is plenty of topics that have discussed it and this is not fair to discuss it on here. I didn't mean for this thread to focus on it. Sorry. :/

Can we please move on from this topic? Almost every coin have checkpoints and its not relevant to solely discuss checkpoints effect here.
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 07:38:24 AM

whoa. i didnt mean to open this can of warms.

I wanted to figure out if checkpoints was the only solution to the "attack" and nothing else was proposed. Some one later said that there is no attack/weakness.

So lets move on.

The checkpoint debate has been going on for yrs. There is plenty of topics that have discussed it and this is not fair to discuss it on here. I didn't mean for this thread to focus on it. Sorry. :/

Can we please move on from this topic? Almost every coin have checkpoints and its not relevant to solely discuss checkpoints effect here.

Yeh let's just close this can of warms already.
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 01:30:15 PM

Subscribed. I've been reading every post about XMR over the past few days. Just read the Cryptonote white paper today. Considering becoming a major holder.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
equipoise

Activity: 794

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 01:37:50 PM

^This thread is started to harm Monero.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 02:04:36 PM

^This thread is started to harm Monero.

Nah, Monero is not harm-able by this thread.
The code is increasingly solid, the technology is best of breed, now enters the web-wallet...  Its just beginning really.

This thread is just a bunch of bloviation and hubris with occasional sprinkles of insight.  It has no power to hurt or help Monero.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
BanditryAndLoot

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 03:03:43 PM

Not many coins have dedicated trolling threads Cheesy

Look at the size of it!

And it's only at the end of fall, that we discover it was naught but the wind that knew when one particular leaf was to fall from one particular tree, only to land in one distinct spot .. to be left for an eternity, and waste its time in a wait sublime. C0A2A1C4
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:02:57 PM

Look at the size of it!

Should adapt it as the general chit-chat talking thread. How did you liked the unified color scheme of the new wallet design?
Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:08:28 PM

Should adapt it as the general chit-chat talking thread. How did you liked the unified color scheme of the new wallet design?

Which wallet? The web one?

Does anyone else think the Supernet logo looks disturbingly like the Monero one in terms of colors and style?
BanditryAndLoot

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:20:33 PM

Does anyone else think the Supernet logo looks disturbingly like the Monero one in terms of colors and style?

I was wondering which wallet as well.

Both Monero and Supernet logos look extremely similar to some other logo as well as being very similar in both scheme and structure .. I can't remember what it was, but remember some company's logo being posted at around the time we got this one.

And it's only at the end of fall, that we discover it was naught but the wind that knew when one particular leaf was to fall from one particular tree, only to land in one distinct spot .. to be left for an eternity, and waste its time in a wait sublime. C0A2A1C4
Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:25:01 PM

Both Monero and Supernet logos look extremely similar to some other logo as well as being very similar in both scheme and structure .. I can't remember what it was, but remember some company's logo being posted at around the time we got this one.

OK, probably coincidence. I'm not really up on branding in general.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 10:44:35 PM

Look at the size of it!

It has been that. There was a lot of trolling here but also a lot of general conversation about the technology and cryptography.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 02:23:54 PM

OK, probably coincidence. I'm not really up on branding in general.

MAybe same designer made them. I noticed that also. Same colours.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:00:06 AM

https://forum.thesupernet.org/index.php?topic=15.0

Here you can see the evolution of the SuperNET logo. That particular one and those colours were voted on.

While there are some similarities, personally I don't think they're too significant. The colours are similar but not the same. The shape and curvature is completely different. Fonts are different. The letters separating the two colours is a similar concept but the overall feel of the two logos is quite different imo.

Could have been some subconscious influence or something but from the way it worked out in that thread it just seems like the colours that got voted on happened to be similar.
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 08:40:31 PM

Here you can see the evolution of the SuperNET logo. That particular one and those colours were voted on.

Here you can see nothing, because this forum is off limits to you. Sad
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 09:12:59 PM

It's just a bear market. Not the death of monero. A great opportunity to buy lots of cheap coins.

That's the same statement said when it dropped from .0043 to .0039 and again when it fell below .0030.

It's been on a steady decent since peaking in September.

The graph doesn't lie.

~BCX~

Whatever happened to your monero-killing exploit?

Also why did you run away from the discussion of it back in October?

Lol

Grin

I didn't go any where and there was a reason I halted. If you follow a few of threads you would know why.

But at any rate allow me to post the following.

In March I called Auroracoin and met the the almost identical responses I did to Monero.

I was right about Auroracoin and I am right about Monero.

~BCX~

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=877108.msg9693792#msg9693792

LOL you conveniently left at the time of YOUR OWN 22 day deadline in October. lol In fact you left the forums entirely not logging into your account for at least a few weeks nor posting for a few weeks.

Just because you were supposedly "right" about aurora coin doesn't mean anything as you also called an attack on Litecoin which you yourself failed to manifest then ran away from when you could not and did not deliver your promised attack.

This is just like you did when you promised your 22-day prep monero-killing exploit you were going to unleash on all of us then conveniently ran away from the discussion when your deadline you set came and went and nothing but hot air remained after you left.

Please save us all of your bullshit. Thanks  Grin Grin Grin

What I expect you to do is not address any of what I said above and just deflect and avoid the obvious fail you have demonstrated to all of us watching. Typical BCX style.  Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

BanditryAndLoot

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 09:14:16 PM

Here you can see nothing, because this forum is off limits to you. Sad

Newsletter 8 has a different header ... with a different color scheme. Are they changing it?

Pages: « 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: