Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:25:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 470 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping  (Read 2115842 times)
chey

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

I'm a miner not a minor.

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 08:15:14 PM

can't seem to get the GUI wallet installed on my mac.  anyone else have problems?  i got the binaries downloaded and installed (i think) but when i go to run the wallet, it says "could not find page".  any magic tricks out there?  anything to report re: importing straight to poloniex from koinify?  thx all.

Make sure you got your ~/.factom/factomd.conf
Make sure factomd, fctwallet and walletapp binaries are running then you should be able to get to the GUI like this http://localhost:8093/

i'm not sure i understand....  how can i know if i have ~/.factom/factomd.conf.  i searched for it in Finder but couldn't locate it.  i have the binaries folder in Applications but it looks like I'm missing a piece.  advice?  thx so much.

You'll want to open up a terminal, then type
ls ~/.factom/factomd.conf

launch the walletapp binary from the terminal as well like this..
walletapp

when i enter ~/.factom/factomd.conf in the terminal, I receive these
"line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'" and
"line 1: `; --------------------------------'---------------------------------------------"
not sure what to do here.....  thx again for the assistance. 

I recommend getting familiar with the mac command line prior to tackling this.
Here is one resource.
http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/introduction-to-the-mac-os-x-command-line
There are lots more on the internet if needed.

██
██
██
1st Stake
Android Wallet
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Transfercoin
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄
          ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       ▄█▀▀▄▄█████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀█████▄▄▀▀█▄
     ▄█▀ ▄████▀▀▀ ▄███████▄ ▀▀▀████▄▀▀█▄
   ▄█▀ ▄███▀  ▄██ █████████ ██▄  ▀███▄ ▀█▄
  ▄█ ▄███▀ ▄████▀ ▀███████▀ ▀████▄ ▀███▄ █▄
 ▄█ ▄███  ████▀     ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀████  ███▄ █▄
▄█ ▄███  ███▀                   ▀███  ███▄ █▄
██ ███  ███▀                     ▀███  ███ ██
██ ███  ███                       ███  ███ ██
██ ███  ▄▄▄▄▄                   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███ ██
██ ██ ▄███████▄               ▄███████▄ ██ ██
▀█ ▀█ █████████               █████████ █▀ █▀
 ▀█ █ ▀███████▀               ▀███████▀ █ █▀
  █▄ ▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▄██▄▄       ▄▄██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▀ ▄█
   ▀█▄ ▀███▄  ▀▀█████████████▀▀  ▄███▀ ▄█▀
     ▀█▄ ▀████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄████ ▄▄█▀
       ▀█▄▄▀▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀▄▄█▀
          ▀█▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄█▀
             ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
██
██
██

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Conqueror
Legendary

Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020

I was diagnosed with brain parasite

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:16:10 PM

NEW!!! Blockchain Land Title Project 'Stalls' in Honduras
http://www.coindesk.com/debate-factom-land-title-honduras/

New? Seriously? C'mon...this is day old news...

Pete Rizzo (@pete_rizzo_) | Published on December 26, 2015 at 15:31 GMT on http://www.coindesk.com/

So what? Information is day old. We discussed it here already yesterday...

Does it mean we can't discuss the new article from Coindesk ?

We can discuss anything here. I was just a bit confused with 3x!!! after bold caps NEW Smiley
ReturnOfTheMAC

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 10:53:58 PM

Great to see FCT holding strong above 109K on both the Chinese exchange and Polo! Should be a good week for it!

Conqueror
Legendary

Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020

I was diagnosed with brain parasite

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 11:25:17 PM

Great to see FCT holding strong above 109K on both the Chinese exchange and Polo! Should be a good week for it!

100k looks as very firm resistance, was brutally tested several times today, always without success.
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 05:11:17 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2015, 05:44:20 PM by child_harold

Hello All,

Got a couple Q's and a comment.

- Does Factom embed hashes in the BTC blockchain?
- Why are "Factoids" needed?
- Should the term "Factoid" (which has some negative connotations) be replaced with "Fact" or some other term? Or are people happy with it?

Comments

Easy-to-use GUI apps needed on all platforms ASAP. Surprised you guys are still in CLI mode, esp with all this seed money. If independent app devs would create front-ends for FACTOM I personally would consider paying. Im gonna take a look at the iOS app blocknotary and it seems the sort of mobile app Factom should have too (I believe FCT is integrated into blocknotary)

I can easily imagine an OSX app with a "Drop file here" GUI interface where much is done automatically.

Finally I think you guys should target Academia too. Perhaps you already are. Disputes over papers are all too common in Academia and Factom seems a perfect fit.

BrianDeery

Activity: 144

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 06:17:47 PM

yes.
https://github.com/FactomProject/FactomDocs/raw/master/Factom_Whitepaper.pdf
https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/1K2SXgApmo9uZoyahvsbSanpVWbzZWVVMF/transactions

For simultaneous censorship resistance and spam resistance.  Also to pay server costs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3rM2TQJt7o
https://github.com/FactomProject/FactomDocs/raw/master/FactomLedgerbyConsensus.pdf

- Should the term "Factoid" (which has some negative connotations) be replaced with "Fact" or some other term? Or are people happy with it?
You may be referring to the definition in the news article.  That isn't what the word means in my pre-2014 vocabulary.  I don't think the name will change.   
child_harold

Activity: 812

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 08:29:21 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2015, 09:02:29 PM by child_harold

yes.
https://github.com/FactomProject/FactomDocs/raw/master/Factom_Whitepaper.pdf
https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/1K2SXgApmo9uZoyahvsbSanpVWbzZWVVMF/transactions

For simultaneous censorship resistance and spam resistance.  Also to pay server costs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3rM2TQJt7o
https://github.com/FactomProject/FactomDocs/raw/master/FactomLedgerbyConsensus.pdf

You may be referring to the definition in the news article.  That isn't what the word means in my pre-2014 vocabulary.  I don't think the name will change.  

Thanks for your quick reply. I take it you are the same Brian Deery whose name appears in the Factom papers.
A pleasure to meet you.

I'm reading the papers now and my main questions are:

1. The "Factom Federated Servers": Are they somehow centralized? Can I run a Factom node? Is there a process involved in joining the Federation? .

2. If Factoms are like ETH and EC's (Entry Credits) are gas, could an Ethereum dapp serve as a potentially more decentralized Factom?

3. There is a Factom chain. If this chain is lost or the network should die is the data on the BTC chain still "useful"? Or to put it differently, does the data stored on the BTC chain make sense without reference to the data stored on the Factom chain?

And finally (apologies for the mini-deluge)

4. Quote from 'Factom Ledger by Consensus':

Placing Offensive or Illegal Entries into Factom
Censorship is very hard and perhaps nearly impossible in Factom.  No data in the Directory Blocks, nor the Entry Blocks will be plain text.  The Entries themselves can contain any information at all, but Entries containing offensive material can be identified and removed from any particular system using Factom.  Even though Factom secures such information, that does not mean users are forced to hold the offensive material.

So this might mean that the answer to 3 is No, but more importantly how can information be deleted and who decides what is deleted? If Factom is not censorship-resistant then this poses a problem.

Thanks in advance for taking time to answer these questions

kodeon.CEO

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 01:05:02 AM

Anyone else having issues with the GUI? Won't install on my system (Win 7 64bit).

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

Looking into this for you...

Hi AlanX thanks for looking into it, do you have any news on the issue? Tried re-downloading the software but still seem to be having the same problem.
whiteorg72

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:59:04 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2015, 08:21:31 AM by whiteorg72

Factom, BrianDeery
Why 4 consecutive days do not pass the work on the development of Milestone2? Have everything ready?
We will see the first release candidate Milestone2 in the next 3 days? https://github.com/FactomProject/
pinkman12345
Legendary

Activity: 1070
Merit: 1021

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 10:01:33 AM

Factom, BrianDeery
Why 4 consecutive days do not pass the work on the development of Milestone2? Have everything ready?
We will see the first release candidate Milestone2 in the next 3 days? https://github.com/FactomProject/

Why do we need to see anything in the next 3 days? Factom isn't a get rich quick project. Sounds to me like u will sell if you see a 1sat decline in price. Please do it, cos I will certainly buy them.

whiteorg72

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 10:14:51 AM

Factom, BrianDeery

Why do we need to see anything in the next 3 days? Factom isn't a get rich quick project. Sounds to me like u will sell if you see a 1sat decline in price. Please do it, cos I will certainly buy them.

I know that this is a long term project. I say 3 days, because before it was announced that the first release candidate of Milestone2 will be released before the end of this 2015 year, before the end of the year there were only 3 days. Developers Factom have schedule future works which they generally adhere.
In the next 5 years, I'm not going to sell my FCT coins. Smiley
BrianDeery

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 06:14:53 PM

I think that Paul's comment on the AMA is getting totally blown out of proportion.  Granted, we are calling it Release Candidate 1, which is a bad name.  It probably conveys more quality than you should expect.

We are working to have the first release candidate of the consensus algorithm by the end of the year. We fully expect to release a few release candidates prior to going into production with the consensus algorithm early in 2016.

THIS

This was not an announcement.  It was an internal target to aim at, not something that we expect the community to rely on.  This was from an "Ask Me Anything" session.  A predictive answer was given, not a binding announcement.

Lets make sure we temper expectations.  At best we will be showing off a developer preview.  It is far from being ready to switch the network over and start using.  It will be enough for structures to be built with optimal network communications.  It will probably perform poorly with sub-optimal network communications, i.e. on the internet.

It is primarily for our internal testing team to have something to start poking at.

That being said, now is a good time to start asking for Milestone 2 Community Testers.  Please email me at brian@factom.org if you would like to help test Milestone 2 Release Candidates. 

The complexity to get it installed is probably about as difficult as this one for Milestone 1: https://github.com/FactomProject/FactomDocs/blob/master/communityTesterDirections.md
BrianDeery

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 06:20:24 PM

kodeon.CEO, please check your "MY MESSAGES" tab at the top of the page.
BrianDeery

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 08:36:24 PM

1. The "Factom Federated Servers": Are they somehow centralized? Can I run a Factom node? Is there a process involved in joining the Federation? .

Like in bitcoin, there will be different classes of nodes all communicating over a flood fill P2P network.  Yes, you can install a node and propagate messages around the network.  I think the question you are asking is "Can I run an authoritative node?" as in, can I be a miner.  That is a more complicated question.  You would basically need to win elections to become part of the federation.  Users who purchase entry credits are the ones who cast votes.  This is what Milestone 3 is for.

2. If Factoms are like ETH and EC's (Entry Credits) are gas, could an Ethereum dapp serve as a potentially more decentralized Factom?
hmm, interesting question.  My first reaction is: probably not.  The Ethereum VM is really slow, described as "the computing power of a 1990's mobile phone".  There will be a lot of data flowing through factom, and I don't immediately see how all the data can be put into factom, and not into ethereum's state too.  The whole point of factom is to offload data from the main blockchain.

Perhaps with something like zk-SNARK, you can put the proof of honest dealing in ethereum, but the proof would need to extend all the way down to the network card firmware to prove you weren't filtering, and would take 10000x longer than just doing the computation once.  Even then, you could probably filter (censor) before it got to your machine.  The goal is to make it censorship resistant, which is really hard.  The best we know how to do is make it expensive to censor.

I haven't though about redesigning factom as an Eth program very hard, but I would love to be proven wrong.

3. There is a Factom chain. If this chain is lost or the network should die is the data on the BTC chain still "useful"? Or to put it differently, does the data stored on the BTC chain make sense without reference to the data stored on the Factom chain?

Bitcoin is used in Factom to do multiple things.
- Prevent Factom from undetectably rewriting history.  The hashpower prevents the Federated servers from erasing history.
- Show the users of Factom that the blockchain is not forked.  It also provides a sibyl resistant communication amongst Federated servers, and to the clients.

All the user Chains in Factom are under the Merkle root placed in the bitcoin blockchain.  I think you are referring to the Factom blockchain, though.

The Federated Servers (like the miners) are only there to build the head of the blockchain, and to arbitrate between conflicting state changes.  The only state changes that the Factom servers arbitrate between relate to Factoids and Entry Credits.  After the blockchain is built, anyone can pass it around, verify it, and retain it even if the Federated Servers disappear.

This is one of the reasons why it makes sense to run your own node, to make sure you have a copy of all the data.

4. Quote from 'Factom Ledger by Consensus':

Placing Offensive or Illegal Entries into Factom
Censorship is very hard and perhaps nearly impossible in Factom.  No data in the Directory Blocks, nor the Entry Blocks will be plain text.  The Entries themselves can contain any information at all, but Entries containing offensive material can be identified and removed from any particular system using Factom.  Even though Factom secures such information, that does not mean users are forced to hold the offensive material.

So this might mean that the answer to 3 is No, but more importantly how can information be deleted and who decides what is deleted? If Factom is not censorship-resistant then this poses a problem.

Good question.  Again, it is complicated, and likely is a nomenclature issue.  This is the equivalent of saying something can be deleted from bittorrent.  Also, pruning in Bitcoin is a good analogy.  If you know about some data on your system that you don't want to retain or serve up, you can delete it from your system. 

Factom's (and blockchains in general) power is in proving the negative.  If a community agrees on the head of the blockchain, then they agree on the history taken to get there.  Everyone can examine the same history to arrive at the same state.  The problem is that forbidden knowledge may be embedded in that history.  The assumption is that this forbidden knowledge doesn't change the application state, but needs to be examined by new entrants to prove it does not affect the state.

It turns into an oracle problem at this point.

One can imagine an oracle, for example the Illegal Prime Number Detection Censorship Authority (IPNDCA) who scans the blockchain for the forbidden prime numbers.  When they find the forbidden data, they would identify it by its Entry Hash and place that into their own Chain.

If IPNDCA flags innocuous data, others in the community can present the data and the signed hash showing it was flagged and the oracle would lose credibility. 

If the forbidden data does affect the state, then the oracle probably needs to be aware of this, and communicate this appropriately.

What is more likely is that the forbidden data is there but ignored, like how some forbidden data exists in the Bitcoin blockchain, but doesn't seem to be causing legal troubles.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 03:29:44 AM

Should this be in Service Discussion now?  Seems a little past the "project development" stage.
Mrboot
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 09:33:08 AM

Should this be in Service Discussion now?  Seems a little past the "project development" stage.

im happy with any info cause now it seems like nothing happens at all , hope they get more active soon
taxmanmt5
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:09:25 PM

I am wondering if the Team CARES for day to day Price Movement

If not atleast an update is required to ensure the price of coin grows n gets stabled against calm environment
ReturnOfTheMAC

Activity: 194

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 07:13:19 PM

Can we get a yes or no to the rumor that Milestone 2 release candidate is to be released by years end? Hearing chatter on Polo last few days with no source...

FACTOM (OP)

Activity: 251

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 07:18:18 PM

Can we get a yes or no to the rumor that Milestone 2 release candidate is to be released by years end? Hearing chatter on Polo last few days with no source...

You may want to look at Brian Deery's reply few posts above. Thanks.
kodeon.CEO

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 11:26:31 PM

kodeon.CEO, please check your "MY MESSAGES" tab at the top of the page.

Thank's for the help, now when running the walletapp after running the factomd program, the CLI outputs the following "ERROR Reading config file!" I've tried doing a search on my drives, seems the file does not exist.

Is there something I need to do that I'm missing?
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 470 »
  Print  

Jump to: